govegril
Stingray
Stingray
5,727 Posts

This game turns into a HOG - FROG lovers read this

[Post New]by govegril on Nov 4, 10 11:29 AM
I have looked forward to this game for weeks, waited patiently without complaint through all the promised released dates and today as soon as I saw it as TGT, used a coupon.

I was expecting it to be like the first Mystery Age which is a FROG. This game, starts off as a FROG, then after 4 or 5 FROG scenes, it is now straight hidden objects and checking the walkthrough remains that way the rest of the game. Why the change in style?

This is very disappointing.

Edited on 11/05/2010 at 1:57:43 AM PST

skyepearl
Lobster
Lobster
98 Posts

Re:This game turns into a HOG

[Post New]by skyepearl on Nov 4, 10 11:43 AM
Thank you for posting that, govegril. I came VERY close to buying this game after a really fun 30 minutes. I only came on to check how far along I got in that time span & saw your post. I enjoy a good FROG but really dislike HOG list type games as I find them boring. (sigh)

Darn.... I almost found a game to spend a dusty credit on.

robin94122
Salmon
Salmon
2,810 Posts

[Post New]by robin94122 on Nov 4, 10 11:55 AM
It's a little more complicated than that.

You visit each Hidden Object Scene multiple times.

The first time, the Find List is usually a FROG. After that, it may be a straight HOG or a find-the-multiples.

New scenes are introduced as you progress in the game.

So for example, if you check the walkthrough you can see that there is a new FROG in Chapter 15 and another new one in Chapter 19.

So you do get new FROG scenes throughout the game, but they end up being about 1/3 of the total Find Lists played.

The inventory tasks, which are separate from the HOG scenes, can also involve fragmented objects, so I don't know the exact counts.

Robin

Edited on 11/04/2010 at 12:02:44 PM PST

govegril
Stingray
Stingray
5,727 Posts

[Post New]by govegril on Nov 4, 10 12:05 PM
Thanks Robin but I didn't buy this game expecting one third FROG.

The first Mystery Age was a special game to me and I thought this was going to be the same and indeed indicated it was for the first half hour.

I guess the long wait for it has added to the disappointment!

calamari7
Guppy
Guppy
181 Posts

[Post New]by calamari7 on Nov 4, 10 12:59 PM
FROGs are O.K., but I am a glutton for HOGs so I am happy to learn of the change up in the game.........hooray

govegril
Stingray
Stingray
5,727 Posts

[Post New]by govegril on Nov 4, 10 2:55 PM
Yes, it's probably why they did it, to appeal to a broader audience, but they really have dumbed down the FROG part to negligible the more I play. The sinister tower was a new scene and no FROG.

I am playing it, but it's just another HOG now, and if I come acoss another scene such as "find 10 screwdrivers" - I will give it a miss!

seahorsequeen
Guppy
Guppy
143 Posts

[Post New]by seahorsequeen on Nov 4, 10 3:19 PM
I'm gutted, I bought this straightaway after a few scenes,as I love FROGS(I like HOGS too but only the better ones if you know what I mean)but then it turned into just another HOG.Feel I've been cheated and wasted my credit.A new game hasn't caught my eye for ages so I feel doubly miffed.If like me you like to collect "sets" of games and already have the first one you certainly wouldn't have envisaged it changing.There are enough HOGS about to have left this one as purely FROG.Not good enough BigFish. Well I've finished the game and to be honest I did enjoy it for the most part, (not the HOG lists,tedious !!) lovely graphics,nice music and a good length,but for me all FROG would've turned a good game into a great one.

Edited on 11/06/2010 at 12:00:36 PM PST

birdslisa
Seahorse
Seahorse
23 Posts

[Post New]by birdslisa on Nov 4, 10 3:53 PM
what is a frog and a hog?

LizzieK
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,190 Posts

[Post New]by LizzieK on Nov 4, 10 4:53 PM
Thank you Govegril for mentioning Mystery Age The Imperial Staff. I had not played that game so I am playing it now and enjoying it very much.

LizzieK
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,190 Posts

[Post New]by LizzieK on Nov 4, 10 5:01 PM
birdslisa wrote:what is a frog and a hog?
A FROG is a fragmented or fractured object game. You look for parts of items and when you find all the parts the items usually go into your inventory. Then you usually take the object from your inventory and use it somewhere in the scene to make something happen.

A HOG is a hidden object game. In a HOG you generally look for items on a list. Sometimes one of the items on the list will go into your inventory and you can use it somewhere.

govegril
Stingray
Stingray
5,727 Posts

[Post New]by govegril on Nov 4, 10 6:09 PM
LizzieK wrote:Thank you Govegril for mentioning Mystery Age The Imperial Staff. I had not played that game so I am playing it now and enjoying it very much.

Imperial Staff is a lovely game.

shadowfax44
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
21,885 Posts

[Post New]by shadowfax44 on Nov 4, 10 6:40 PM
So far I have found it to be a nice mix of HOG and IFROG. I am loving it and don't have one negative thing to say about it!! A very worthy sequel to The Imperial Staff so far... I am one extremely happy camper!

govegril
Stingray
Stingray
5,727 Posts

[Post New]by govegril on Nov 4, 10 7:33 PM
Thanks for the reply shadowfax. That was extremely helpful to me

textrekkie
Shark
Shark
13,265 Posts

[Post New]by textrekkie on Nov 4, 10 8:44 PM
Well, this is one I jumped on because all of the praise for the first...I have to admit I'm a little disappointed. I was looking for something along the line of Magic Encyclopedia (the graphics are very beautiful--like ME) however, I was also disappointed when the game changed and became staight Hidden Object or find multiple objects.

This is undoubtedly just my disappointment. I set myself up...however, I truly enjoy FROGS more than straight Hidden Object or Find Multiple Objects. So,like I said, I'm continuing the play, but wish I had listened to the little voice in my head that said "demo first, dummy".

shadowfax44
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
21,885 Posts

[Post New]by shadowfax44 on Nov 4, 10 10:22 PM
govegril wrote:Thanks for the reply shadowfax. That was extremely helpful to me

I may owe you a really big apology govegirl. I have just had an opportunity to return to play more of the game the past hour and a half - and during all of the game play this evening (after I posted before) I have not encountered one single IFROG scene. They have all been straight HOG scenes - this doesn't bother me, but I feel really bad that I seem to have given you some misinformation.

I am sorry govegirl and hope you didn't purchase and end up disappointed because of what I posted!

shadowfax

govegril
Stingray
Stingray
5,727 Posts

[Post New]by govegril on Nov 4, 10 10:46 PM
It's quite ok Shadowfax, I had already purchased the game, I did so the minute I saw it as TGT, and expected different hence my disappointment.

Like Tex, I set myself up with high expectactions. There is nothing wrong with this game other than it not being what I thought it was going to be, and trusting the game to follow the original path as it set out. Straight HOG lovers, this game is paradise

Also, I bought and played Heart's Medicine the day before, which is a hard act for any game to follow.

Edited on 11/04/2010 at 11:04:38 PM PST

Robilyn
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,962 Posts

[Post New]by Robilyn on Nov 5, 10 1:36 AM
I did not buy Imperial Staff, because it was a FROG. I didn't have very high hopes for this game either. Then I played it and saw they mixed it up, so I bought it. I love the graphics, they are beautiful.The music was nice and mellow. Just when I thought I was near the end, I found yet another beautiful area to explorer. I am loving this game.

uschina
Seahorse
Seahorse
26 Posts

[Post New]by uschina on Nov 5, 10 1:52 AM
I was just going to buy that game when somthing told me let's first check the Forum,
and now I know I am not going to buy this game - since I get sick if I have to go through another HOG list.
There are really only this stupid-boring HOG games and they even have the cheek to put them under ADVENTURE-games. What is going on with Bigfish, don't
they know the difference???

govegril
Stingray
Stingray
5,727 Posts

Re:This game turns into a HOG - FROG lovers read this

[Post New]by govegril on Nov 5, 10 1:55 AM
For those like myself that bought or thinking of buying this game because they thought it would be a FROG...

I am nearly at the end, and it isn't even one tenth FROG. It starts off that way, then it is endless HOG after HOG straight list hidden object search, visiting the same scenes over and over and search and search again.

If you are in the mood for such a game then this is a nice one, if straight HOG list search bores you, then you will be disappointed.

Check the walkthrough for exact details of HOG vs FROG.

Edited on 11/05/2010 at 1:59:01 AM PST

puzzledone
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,182 Posts

Re:This game turns into a HOG - FROG lovers read this

[Post New]by puzzledone on Nov 5, 10 2:59 AM
Well for me, with one bad eye and small laptop, I have come to avoid FROGs, have to rely on too many hints and walkthroughs. I really struggled with Imperial Staff, could only play a bit at a time, going back to it over a week. I loved the story, concept and graphics though.

So, I was very hesitant to even demo Dark Priests but after all the raves I tried it. I was happy to see that the fragments were more visible, lots of color to find them, .I can't say I prefer HOGs over Frogs, just that they are more playable for me, whole identifiable objects are more player friendly, lesss frustration.

Now that I moved up to a 17" widescreen laptop frin 15, still get the black borders, but frags and objects much better to see, altho smaller than on a normal 17" monitor. So, the more hogs is just easier on my eyes, that's all. If I had a 22" monitor next, sure I'd jump on the FROG bandwagon. For now, I'm happy to see the story continue and their games are beautiful. I might even finish this one in one night, record time for me LOL.

Edited on 11/05/2010 at 3:02:30 AM PST

Go to: