bfgImbrium
Manatee
Manatee
4,236 Posts

Post any Downtown Secrets technical issues here only

[Post New]by bfgImbrium on Nov 5, 10 12:14 AM
If you are having problems getting the game to work correctly, we highly recommend going to our Help pages. Using our Help pages is always the quickest way to get technical problems resolved. Here are a few suggested articles that have helped many people correct these types of problems in the past:

Frequent Crashing of Game
Game Compatibility

While we can offer a known solution for technical issues in the forums, or other tech savy pond residents can swim by with good tips and suggestions, we cannot provide the same excellent level of support provided by our Customer Support team. The forums are not very well suited for the kinds of information gathering and troubleshooting that get these types of issues corrected quickly. If there is a problem with the game, our Support Team can also gather necessary information on what types of computers are being affected by the problem and deliver this information to the developer for a fix.

If you are not able to get a game working properly using our Help pages, please get in touch with our Customer Support team, you can find a link to contact our Support team on the front page of our Help pages.

Capthowdy64
Minnow
Minnow
268 Posts

Re:Post any Downtown Secrets technical issues here only

[Post New]by Capthowdy64 on Nov 5, 10 1:29 AM
I was looking forward to trying this game out. I wasn't looking forward to 2 restarts of my computer because all the screen did was flicker after an absurd load time. I tried going through Program Files also but I got the same results. My computer surpasses the requirements to run this. I am only acting like this because this is twice this week that a new release has flopped on me. Maybe I should just let my membership expire and wait for the company to make a game that runs.

lizac
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
11 Posts

[Post New]by lizac on Nov 5, 10 1:48 AM
Capthowdy64 wrote:I was looking forward to trying this game out. I wasn't looking forward to 2 restarts of my computer because all the screen did was flicker after an absurd load time. I tried going through Program Files also but I got the same results. My computer surpasses the requirements to run this. I am only acting like this because this is twice this week that a new release has flopped on me. Maybe I should just let my membership expire and wait for the company to make a game that runs.

Can't load it either. Second time this week too.

tarbarme
Guppy
Guppy
198 Posts

[Post New]by tarbarme on Nov 5, 10 4:09 AM
It loads to a black screen for me.

bevaa72
Starfish
Starfish
58 Posts

[Post New]by bevaa72 on Nov 5, 10 5:04 AM
I thought I am only one to get black screen instead of fully detailed game! Any suggestion to correct?

Sister13
Starfish
Starfish
50 Posts

[Post New]by Sister13 on Nov 5, 10 5:21 AM
Well I can´t even download it ???!!!

confused365
Squid
Squid
74 Posts

[Post New]by confused365 on Nov 5, 10 5:36 AM
Try contacting your ISP server, have them walk u through a 'droped packet' test run. Play dumb, as u know, alot can happen between BFG transmission, their ISP, your ISP, your modem, router, processor(s) etc...(don't u just hate it - one droped packet & it messes things up in the wiredest ways. Why can't it be like a driver update? With those handy little screens letting u know what did or didn't happen.) Usually they will have u run test from their 'speed test' site (save this to your favorites), if there is droped packets, usually they try to be helpful.

Some things u might try:

1) connect all modems, routers, monitors, computers, etc. into a battery backup. This will get rid of those 'minor power fluxes' (most of which u don't even notice) that can cause droped packets & other interesting things.

2) Heat kills electronics. As I'm sure u have found out, when modems, routers, computers etc. overheat, they burp, stager or shutdown. Try using cool pads to draw the heat away from them. IMO, if it's warm to the touch, its to hot....

3) Hardwire your computer & router. Yah I know but if your phone or anything else is using the same GHz (or band) guess what can happen?

Hope this helps

[Post New]by Silverwing86 on Nov 5, 10 6:13 AM
Well, that's dissapointing, no go for me either ! When I tried to start the game from Game Manager, this is the message I got:

"Error while unpacking program, code 2. Please report to author."

Uninstalled and re-downloaded/installed again, but exact same result.

Anyone got any ideas/suggestions ?

Thanx !

Cheers,
Silver

Edited on 11/05/2010 at 6:35:18 AM PST

[Post New]by mlishiss on Nov 5, 10 7:44 AM
I am also unable to download this game. I've never had any problems downloading on this pc before. I tried 5 times (including closing my browser and starting over from scratch). The download stalls at different times - 25%, 51%, 89%, eventually gets to "validating" and "saving" file, then the entire download starts all over again.

I give and I'm not happy!

Edited on 11/05/2010 at 7:44:46 AM PST

schuldi
Guppy
Guppy
192 Posts

[Post New]by schuldi on Nov 5, 10 9:18 AM
I have gotten to the part where I have to copy the recording off the phone. It just froze and I could do nothing except exit and lose all I did on the demo because I says you will lose what you did if you exit now. Not for me.

bfgArnoStyx
Stingray
Stingray
5,877 Posts

[Post New]by bfgArnoStyx on Nov 5, 10 9:53 AM
Hey Fishies,

I can see that a number of you are having troubles with a screen flicker or a black screen. Please check to see if an update to your system will resolve this issue - here is a help article to help you with these steps:

Game Crashing, Freezing, or Blank Screen

Silverwing86, that specific error message usually appears when a live security scan is running while you're downloading the game, so you may want to try to turn off your live scans temporarily. Here's a help article with more information (look for "Temporarily disable/turn off running programs" at the bottom of the article):

Problem Downloading or Installation Failed

If you're continuing to have troubles, please get in touch with a Tech rep by clicking on the green envelope to the right. Thanks!

-bfgArnoStyx

bumblebea
Lobster
Lobster
82 Posts

[Post New]by bumblebea on Nov 5, 10 10:23 AM
bevaa72 wrote:I thought I am only one to get black screen instead of fully detailed game! Any suggestion to correct?

Micha1234
Clownfish
Clownfish
910 Posts

[Post New]by Micha1234 on Nov 5, 10 12:59 PM
Mine starts fine...get the fist couple of screens, then it loads and bam.....sound but no pic....again.
And YES...I'm up to date with everything. I run windoof 7 64 bit.

[Post New]by Silverwing86 on Nov 5, 10 6:55 PM
bfgArnoStyx wrote:Hey Fishies,

I can see that a number of you are having troubles with a screen flicker or a black screen. Please check to see if an update to your system will resolve this issue - here is a help article to help you with these steps:

<a href="http://bigfishgames.com/help/index.html?rn=158">Game Crashing, Freezing, or Blank Screen</a>

Silverwing86, that specific error message usually appears when a live security scan is running while you're downloading the game, so you may want to try to turn off your live scans temporarily. Here's a help article with more information (look for "Temporarily disable/turn off running programs" at the bottom of the article):

<a href="http://bigfishgames.com/help/index.html?rn=536">Problem Downloading or Installation Failed</a>

If you're continuing to have troubles, please get in touch with a Tech rep by clicking on the green envelope to the right. Thanks!

-bfgArnoStyx

Hi bfgArnoStyx,

Thanx very much for your reply and suggestions, but despite turning all my security software off completely (Comodo Firewall, Avast; Windows Firewall is not in use), I still get the same message. I will try contacting a Tech Rep to see if there's anything else that can be done.

Cheers,
Silver

Capthowdy64
Minnow
Minnow
268 Posts

[Post New]by Capthowdy64 on Nov 5, 10 7:29 PM
I guess I'm not alone in this boat. I do wanna apologize to Big Fish and lay the blame where it needs be. The developer shouldn't send a faulty product to retailers or a company like this.No,Big Fish has always been really good to me and taken the brunt of the blame whether they did it or not. Boycotting this game company,not Big Fish sounds better

Re:Downtown Secrets SUCKS

[Post New]by sunbeamnana on Nov 5, 10 7:41 PM
I THOUGHT I WAS THE ONLY ONE BUT I SEE NOT SO..I HAVE RESTARTED BOTH NEW GAMES 5 TIMES AND GET PAST FIRST HIDDEN OBJECTS THEN IT GOES BLANK.
BIG FISH HAS BEEN REALLY GOOD TO ME SO I BLAME THE ONES WHO MADE THIS NOT BIG FISH.
I AM DISABLED SO I AM ONLINE A LOT, DON'T NEED CRAPPY GAMES TO P LAY.

List of known Issues

[Post New]by petersenjj on Nov 6, 10 3:05 AM
Hi ,
as i got the problem with a black screen ( 21 " widescreen )but sound
i downloaded the game from an other site.
Had the same problem but found a readme file in the installation folder.

[removed by moderator]

I think this explaines all your problems.

juergen

Edited on 11/06/2010 at 11:01:15 AM PST

tubergal
Starfish
Starfish
51 Posts

[Post New]by tubergal on Nov 6, 10 6:22 AM
I too am having the same issues with this game...the second one within a couple of weeks. Black screen when starting (both) requiring restart of my computer. When is BFG going to test these games (beta testing) before making them public for resale so the developers can get the BUGS fixed????

Edited on 11/06/2010 at 6:23:57 AM PST

List of known Issues

[Post New]by Silverwing86 on Nov 6, 10 7:32 AM
petersenjj wrote:Hi ,
as i got the problem with a black screen ( 21 " widescreen )but sound
i downloaded the game from an other site.
Had the same problem but found a readme file in the installation folder.

[removed by moderator]

I think this explaines all your problems.

juergen

Now that is very useful information indeed, thanx Juergen ! Not only do I have an NVIDIA, I also use Firefox 3.6.12 and always have it open when I'm playing BF games. Will look into it and report back...

Once again, my heartfelt thanx !

Cheers,
Silver

Edited on 11/06/2010 at 11:01:26 AM PST

[Post New]by marlenedel on Nov 6, 10 11:05 PM
I just finished the game and really liked it; however, the mouse was very hard to handle and kept jumping all over the place which makes me reluctant to play it again. Is there any way that feature can be fixed?

Go to: