bfgImbrium
Manatee
Manatee
4,236 Posts

Your Comments and Reviews for Unlikely Suspects

[Post New]by bfgImbrium on Nov 5, 10 12:16 AM
Hey Fishies! What do you think of Unlikely Suspects? We value your reviews, as do many of the other fishies in our pond, so feel free to post your comments, opinions, hints and tips in this thread!

Remember, a lot of people who will be reading this thread will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

Happy gaming!

bfgImbrium

niya00
Lobster
Lobster
99 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Unlikely Suspects

[Post New]by niya00 on Nov 5, 10 1:20 AM
Well, played out of boredom, ok game but nothing spectacular. Didn't need to make up my mind to buy or not since I finished it within the trial period.

[Post New]by WiccanWoman530 on Nov 5, 10 2:53 AM
Maybe They didn't read the description... it says there are 4000 different outcomes. I was thinking it has a huge re-playability factor?

It looks like a good game to me, guess I'll wait for goofyducks long review to decide.

< OH Just noticed I morphed.. I feel so much thinner and pretty!!

Edited on 11/05/2010 at 3:11:31 AM PST

rainice
Minnow
Minnow
293 Posts

[Post New]by rainice on Nov 5, 10 5:08 AM
This game is a noncomplicated straight hog. I'm a fairly slow player but I didn't get the first case even half solved. I did find a fairly high average of objects impossibe to find without hints. They fortunately are unlimited. The very last screen I went into came up blank with only the menu and clue buttons showing and they were unresponsive. At this time though there was around a minute left on the trial, so that may have been a factor. Rather than a full musical score there are more like sound effects and rhythms in the background that I found fairly nonobtrustve.I don't think I'll ever buy this game, however if it comes to the other game sight I use that has unlimited play time I will probably try to play it all the way through

_DD_
Flounder
Flounder
2,115 Posts

[Post New]by _DD_ on Nov 5, 10 5:36 AM
I'm slow in this game so far, too, cos it uses colour on colour (red on red) and dark on dark for hiding items in the H0-scenes, which I find annoying. I'm still trying to find out whether it is similar to Prime suspects, and how that journal for the decisions on suspects and weapons works... It doesn't let me choose my own way (you have to visit the victim's laird NOW), which is maybe good. <g>
But a hint: It has a very good Help explanation from the start screen, also about using the hint system (click on item for silhouette, click on hint for selected item shown via magnifier) and the green items on list (paraphrasing, like for cross word puzzles). The 4 additional game modes are explained there**, too, and are available from the main menu, just not at once.

ETA ** and the laptop, too

Edited on 11/05/2010 at 5:40:28 AM PST

joyce2121
Manatee
Manatee
4,490 Posts

[Post New]by joyce2121 on Nov 5, 10 6:29 AM
niya00 wrote:Well, played out of boredom, ok game but nothing spectacular. Didn't need to make up my mind to buy or not since I finished it within the trial period.

Since you finished the game, would you be so kind as to give
us some more details on gameplay?

Thanks

[Post New]by hydrogibbon on Nov 5, 10 6:35 AM
The graphics were very grainy to me. There was also a lot of distracting movement like rain or sunstreaks and moving leaves. I found it very difficult to find the items on my list and quit the game on the third screen. It's definitely a no buy for me.

mspaws
Guppy
Guppy
126 Posts

[Post New]by mspaws on Nov 5, 10 7:10 AM
Is this an Interpol game???????? 3?????

puzzledone
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,182 Posts

[Post New]by puzzledone on Nov 5, 10 7:37 AM
I think the first victim is just random chosen from the many, maybe 15, if so, then I can see the replayability. As you read, maybe the lab report, no puncture wounds, so when you click weapons it is process of elimination. Maybe there are 5 weapons, acid, 2 of those choices, pick one, and so on. There would be so many combos of clues if the outcome isn't predetermined, I can see how there could be near endless play. I had a bottle of perfume, a map of Kentucky and something about Las Vegas. Then on the world map I could chose those locations for a search hog. But I think any of them I could go to like Ireland, at least when you hover you get pics of crime places.

It would take awhile to get the hang of the gameplay,My hour puzzled ,me, my usual state of mind. The locations were very nice, clear enough to see maybe half the objects quite easily. There are 12 to find, not sure why some are in green. Then your random clicks (unlimited) and hints begin for the small to totally obscure. I didn't see many tone on tones but colors limiting, greys, olive drab, sienna, yellow ochre, then street scene Louisville lots of light purple woodwork. All pleasant, not much dark, on the eyes overall. With a large monitor and good eyes this game could probably take you through hours and hours of gameplay, especially with 4000 outcomes. Reminds me of one similar but you could be wrong when not what is already the right suspect by design.

Not humorous like MCF Prime Suspects, altho that had different endings on replay as I recall. The HOGs reminded me a bit of HE Amazon or Agatha Christi rooms crisp and clear but challenged by size of many items. Hint showed me a dreamcatcher hanging outside a window. Looked like a black tangled up mess of string to me, nightmares I say, burned it out, not a lovely mobil type with feathers and intricate threads.

I don't think it is a bad game at all, but would take a lot of time to work through all the victims with your chosen clues. Could be wrong, but makes you think and put the case together with logic and memory of what you did know, senior moments awash. Not even sure what I'm talking about now that time ran out and it is offscreen. Worth some time to demo, if different is what you've been wanting. Seems one could leave and come back in downtimes when nothing elseof interest to play around with.

Edited on 11/05/2010 at 7:43:15 AM PST

joyce2121
Manatee
Manatee
4,490 Posts

[Post New]by joyce2121 on Nov 5, 10 8:07 AM
The "help" section at the start of the game is well worth reading.
For instance, it explains the green printed items (crossword-type
clues: rub for luck, instead of magic lamp).
Cranked my brightness level way up and that helped.
Although I do like IHOG/Adventure games, I still can
enjoy a game with a lot of HOG scenes and just a little
of other things to do.

I really want to play this game, so will probably use a coupon
on it, but will pop over to the zoo to look for a full review first.

Thank you all for your reviews of the demo.

Alas, no review, but did find some more (and brighter) screenshots
and thanks to elldee, off to buy!

Edited on 11/05/2010 at 8:27:03 AM PST

elldee2728
Shark
Shark
14,378 Posts

[Post New]by elldee2728 on Nov 5, 10 8:20 AM
Well, I can already predict one thing about this game--LOTS of replayability (and probably lengthy first-time playability as well). An earlier poster claimed to have finished the whole shebang in the demo time--I demo'ed for about 30 minutes (b4 buying), and I wasn't anywhere near solving the first case (and I'm no slouch)! This game could be akin to "Clue" but with many, many more combinations of suspects, weapons, and locations.

The graphics were very good, vibrant at times (and occasionally too vibrant in some HOG scenes, where an item and its background, although colorful, were just about the same). The hint system is good (and might get over-worked trying to find some of those miniscule, Agatha Christie-type things mentioned by an astute earlier reviewer). Expect pointers along the way that help whittle down the list of suspects, weapons, and locations (lairs?), but definitely no "hand-holding."

I can already expect spending several autumn and winter nights trying to solve this one. I say, at least give the demo a look-see.

P.S. Great observation, Joyce2121--I too would enjoy hearing Niya00's "review" after the one-hour experience.

Edited on 11/05/2010 at 8:25:09 AM PST

[Post New]by WiccanWoman530 on Nov 5, 10 9:00 AM
With a few different reviews I decided to download and give it a trial run.

1 I enjoyed the logic of having to figure out which suspects and weapons I think the clues are leading me too. Each HiddenO scene gives you a few clues, then there are tabs at the top like a file folder for suspects, maps (for HiddenOSs you get to pick which ones you want to play), weapons and clues.

2) Each suspect has a stats folder to help you narrow down who you think is involved. You do get some help like a witness stated they saw someone short/tall etc. Not too complicated or overly easy either. The key is to read and pay attention to the beginning of the instructions and clues.

3) I found every badge in each scenes I played. Some maybe a shadow or outline which made it more interesting to find and added another goal which is more playtime to the game.

4) There is no over clicking penalty. I did not find it hard to find the items on the list. Maybe its just me, but I have played a lot of older HOG and am used to say a nail or pencil being hidden across a bookshelf and items that blend in a background (example: green frog in tree leaves.) These are generic examples not actual objects in this game. Hints are unlimited but I only used 2 or 3.

5) I like to take my time so I'd say a case could take me a few hours. I didn't finish one in my hour. I usually don't replay most games, but the cool thing is this game is meant to be played many times. Add on the bonus play if you find 50 badges (with 2 per HiddenO scene that should not be too hard to do) and you have loads of play time.

6) I normally turn the music off, but at half the volume in the options I didn't notice it at all. The sounds were not annoying either and both fit well with the game.

7) The graphics were clear and bright on my laptop. Some items are a little small, but clicking on the word in the list showing the silhouette did help me find them.

8) I LOVE the theme, I thought the suspects were funny and interesting.. maybe like Prime Suspects lite. I am a fan of who done it games, for me this one is a must buy! Again with the replay factor its a great value. This is a very unique HOG. I will gladly spend a PC credit on it! Try it and see for yourself, but I think a lot of will like this game.

4 s and a from me.

Edited on 11/05/2010 at 9:02:57 AM PST

govols2
Shark
Shark
11,575 Posts

[Post New]by govols2 on Nov 5, 10 9:02 AM
Just finished the demo. I had got to the point where I could accuse. done all the scenes. I had 26 of the 50 shields so there is at least another case to get the others. There are several suspects and weapons and looks like 4 or 5 locations I have yet to visit. I play rather quickly and used the hint button on every scene for that last one I could not find. Once all the shields are found it opens up unlimited mode which is always a plus for me. Since the beginning says 4000 cases I believe replayability will be high. As far as the length, I think minimum 2 hours just to open the unlimited mode by finding all the shields. I think another hour after that to visit all locations. Unlimited mode itself will probably take about an hour at least. So at least 4 hours and then if every suspect is a victim at some point in the game this should be many hours . I think I will be getting this with a credit.

Happy gaming

[Post New]by WiccanWoman530 on Nov 5, 10 9:10 AM
CasualGran wrote:
WiccanWoman530 wrote:
......OH Just noticed I morphed.. I feel so much thinner and pretty!!

Congratulations WiccanWoman530! Still can't tell you much more about this game, 'cause I only played a little part of the demo. Sorry.

Thanks CasualGran!

Edited on 11/05/2010 at 9:10:51 AM PST

zahnprod
Lobster
Lobster
93 Posts

[Post New]by zahnprod on Nov 5, 10 9:49 AM
niya00 wrote:Well, played out of boredom, ok game but nothing spectacular. Didn't need to make up my mind to buy or not since I finished it within the trial period.

I respectfully call "horse by-product" on the above claim to have finished the entire game within the trial period. Perhaps the poster finished one case, but there is NO WAY they could have completed the entire game. With 16 suspects/victims, 16 murder weapons, 16 "lairs" or murder scenes, there really are 4096 possible outcomes. See the High Scores screen to view the various Trophies you can earn.

One thing I noticed about the game is that there is NO MISCLICK PENALTY. You can blandly click on every item on every screen if you cannot find certain items.

Another thing is that the Locations always have exactly the same items in the same places, although the list of items to find varies. So, for example, once you know where the badges are in a scene, they will always be in the same place. This makes the game go faster when you return to scenes you have already visited.

It's not an outstanding game, but it's better than some of the less-than-spectacular stuff with horrible bugs/glitches being released lately. It offers LOTS of replay value.

Edited on 11/05/2010 at 9:53:13 AM PST

Howatch
Manatee
Manatee
3,952 Posts

[Post New]by Howatch on Nov 5, 10 10:06 AM
I really wanted to like this game based on the high replayabiity factor but on my monitor the graphics were so grainy that I could barely see half the items. Admittedly this may be due to my old outmoded monitor, but I often wonder why some games are so bright and clear on my monitor (like Mystery Age: Dark Priests) and why for this game so many of the objects are indistinct. Oh, well.

julese53
Starfish
Starfish
48 Posts

[Post New]by julese53 on Nov 5, 10 11:59 AM
I enjoyed the demo. I got through 1 case and part of the second. I'm confused, though, because in the first case the forensic guy gave me clues about the murder weapon, but the correct weapon definitely didn't
match his clues.
I'll have to think about this one.

lilTweet7
Herring
Herring
333 Posts

[Post New]by lilTweet7 on Nov 5, 10 12:29 PM
Every now and then, I enjoy a straight HOG, and this one I'm enjoying thus far. I purchased it soon after playing just ten minutes into the demo. The graphics are quite nice, and because I tend to be a little impatient, finding the sometimes teeny objects with 'patience' is a good thing for me, as well as makes the game more challenging, which is always a plus for me. I also liked the '4000 possible different outcomes' which tells me the replay factor will be there (hope so) , and therefore worth the purchase, especially with a game credit.

Shastanna
Lobster
Lobster
97 Posts

[Post New]by Shastanna on Nov 5, 10 12:46 PM
goofyduck...
I had to use the hint button so often I thought we were dating.

Thanks for all the wonderful reviews! I'm going to try it, but I have a feeling the dark graphics are going to annoy me too much to buy. We'll see.

Happy gaming and TGIF to ya!

~~Edited because apparently I can't think...or spell...or type.

Edited on 11/05/2010 at 12:48:59 PM PST

[Post New]by Classicaljazz on Nov 5, 10 2:03 PM
Was pleasantly surprised to discover that I really like this game. I feel it is quite unique. I completed the hour demo with only part of one case investigated. Was disappointed when the hour elapsed, for I wanted to continue to play. Someone else mentioned that there were some similarities to the game Clue and I agree... though, of course, it has hidden object scenes for gathering clues instead of moving around a gameboard and voicing suspicions. I was able to find most items without hints. But, the hint system is great. You may see the silhouette of the object by clicking on its name in the list. OR you may click on the word HINT to learn where you can find the object. One small "con" was that I found the music a bit annoying. But that was easily remedied... I simply turned it very low.

This is definitely going on my want list. Since there are so many different cases to solve in the game, I feel it would be something I'd play countless times.

Be sure to check it out. You may like it, too.

Classicaljazz

Go to: