nwl43
Stingray
Stingray
4,931 Posts

Setting the clock

[Post New]by nwl43 on Nov 6, 10 6:54 PM
Is anyone else having trouble setting the clock? I know it is supposed to be set for 8:55. I have tried everything. I finally used just the minute hand and moved it around the clock as many times as needed for the hour hand to get to the right position. Still nothing.

robin94122
Salmon
Salmon
2,810 Posts

Setting the clock

[Post New]by robin94122 on Nov 6, 10 7:27 PM
nwl43 wrote:Is anyone else having trouble setting the clock? I know it is supposed to be set for 8:55. I have tried everything. I finally used just the minute hand and moved it around the clock as many times as needed for the hour hand to get to the right position. Still nothing.

This solution is in Chapter 13: The Lonely Dragon of the Blog Walkthrough.

To begin with, you must have the code (time) copied into your journal. You do this by collecting the code outside the library.

Then you need to follow these instructions (from the Blog Walkthrough):

Zoom in on the Clock (D).

Use the CLOCK HAND from the Library on the Clock.

Click one more time to start the puzzle.
Set the time to the CODE from the bench Outside the Library: 20:55 (8:55).

The puzzle will only work if you move the minute hand (“big hand”) around the clock until the correct position is reached.

Grab the minute hand in the middle and drag it to rotate it.

Stop in the correct position, shown in the screenshot; you will hear the clock chime.

The clock will open, revealing the WINDUP KEY.

It sounds like you are really close. First, check your journal and make sure the code is copied there. If it's not, the puzzle won't work.

Next, turn the minute hand as you were doing, all the way until you reach the time shown in the marked screenshot. You may have just been off by a minute or so, you may have stopped at 7:55 instead of 8:55.

Anyway, check the walkthrough and see if that helps.

To get to the Blog Walkthrough, click on the Try this Game link at the top of this page, then click on the link to the Blog Walkthrough.

Good luck!
Robin

Edited on 11/06/2010 at 7:28:42 PM PST

nwl43
Stingray
Stingray
4,931 Posts

Re:Setting the clock

[Post New]by nwl43 on Nov 6, 10 7:35 PM
It's in my journal and it is definitely set for 8:55 not 7:55(hour hand is close to 9:00). I jiggled the minute hand back and forth several times just in case I had missed it by a fraction. Nothing is happening. I can't imagine it is supposed to be this difficult. Thanks for the answer anyway.

nwl43
Stingray
Stingray
4,931 Posts

[Post New]by nwl43 on Nov 6, 10 7:48 PM
robin94122 wrote:Ah, the jiggling is the problem, I'm afraid.

Everytime you move the clock counterclockwise, the puzzle gets confused, and you have to rotate it all the way around for 12 hours to get back to the correct time.

It's a very finicky puzzle. I still haven't figured out whether the second hand makes a difference or not!

Robin

I can't make the second hand move at all. I don't think moving it counterclockwise is the problem as I only did that after I had it set to what appeared to be 8:55 and nothing happened. Just had a thought. Perhaps I need to move the minute hand around for another 12 hours to reach the correct 8:55 pm rather than am. Too late to try it now as I gave up and hit skip. Next time.

agrimony
Guppy
Guppy
165 Posts

[Post New]by agrimony on Nov 6, 10 9:18 PM
yep I had the same problem, I tried several times with the hands and I too could not move the second hand at all. I too finally did the skip button. This is the only one in the puzzle (I think ) that I had to use the skip button on.

robin94122
Salmon
Salmon
2,810 Posts

[Post New]by robin94122 on Nov 6, 10 10:12 PM
I don't remember for sure, but I believe the code is in military time to let you know that the clock has both an AM and a PM setting. You need to set it to 8:55 pm. I think the cloud face in the center of the clock changes. So you may have been off by 12 hours.

I'm working on something else right now, but I'll check it again when I'm free.

Robin

cedo
Seahorse
Seahorse
24 Posts

[Post New]by cedo on Nov 8, 10 1:28 PM
i have never posted anything before, but i, too, had much trouble with the clock..though, it never occurred to me to skip...lol...i was ready to give up on the game...after reading many, many posts, and finally finding this area, i went back and tried setting the clock counterclockwise...it finally worked when setting it at 8:55 and 20:55 would not...so, my suggestion is to rotate the minute hand counterclockwise..the clock chimed, the second hand moved, and the face finally opened...hope this helps anyone who has yet to play this game...i know, i am a little behind...thank you

Go to: