doctorgood
Clownfish
Clownfish
589 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for The Legend of the Golden Tome

[Post New]by doctorgood on Nov 10, 10 2:03 AM
Waaaaaaaah! I don't like match-3's..Waaaaaah!
Dr.good
p.s. thanks Goofyduck.

[Post New]by spruce on Nov 10, 10 2:13 AM
Thanks for another thorough review! I always stop by to check them out before deciding whether to buy.
I agree with everything you said here except for the 'sliding' swaps, which worked fine for me. I also find it a tad annoying to have to click on each tile individually and would have quit almost immediately if that had been the case.
I don't think I'll buy this game, simply because I already have quite a few match 3s and this one doesn't seem to offer anything that stands out as new or different for me.

sherisgirl
Minnow
Minnow
229 Posts

[Post New]by sherisgirl on Nov 10, 10 2:52 AM

Think I will be giving this a miss, frogs and HOB and IHO are my thing really, although I do have Jewel Quest the 1st one which is my wind down game, for the last 5/6 years.

angelfishp
Catfish
Catfish
1,600 Posts

[Post New]by angelfishp on Nov 10, 10 3:19 AM
Thank you for another great review Goofyduck! It doesn't sound like my type of game, so I will pass. Have a great day everyone!

fstar
Guppy
Guppy
106 Posts

[Post New]by fstar on Nov 10, 10 3:52 AM
spruce wrote:I agree with everything you said here except for the 'sliding' swaps, which worked fine for me. I also find it a tad annoying to have to click on each tile individually and would have quit almost immediately if that had been the case.

I'm not trying to be mean but maybe I'm not understanding English that well but is Spruce contradicting herself ? Or am I missing something ?

Anyway, I wanted to get a Match 3 to tide me over until something better came along as far as an IHOG etc. but this one isn't it.

In the short little HObject scenes the graphics weren't that great. The boards were small and went pretty fast. You did have use strategy. I did have to use a bomb once. And wound up with 7 lives and 2 crystals when the demo ran out so it wasn't very challenging for me. Goofyduck described the game very well and I also hated that the M&M's weren't sliders. I also hate, hate, hate Timed games. I find myself making stupid mistakes because I'm paying to much attention to the time and then it isn't enjoyable.

[Post New]by Neecy44 on Nov 10, 10 4:53 AM
spruce wrote:
I agree with everything you said here except for the 'sliding' swaps, which worked fine for me. I also find it a tad annoying to have to click on each tile individually and would have quit almost immediately if that had been the case.

I'm not trying to be mean but maybe I'm not understanding English that well but is Spruce contradicting herself ? Or am I missing something ?

___________________________________________________-
fstar, I think Spruce was saying that the sliding DID work for her and she is glad it did because she doesn't like games that don't have the slide option either. She was saying she would have quit immediately had the slide option not worked for her in this game.

I sure appreciate the great reviews here and I always check them first before trying a game.

Ilkie
Seahorse
Seahorse
36 Posts

[Post New]by Ilkie on Nov 10, 10 5:29 AM
Thanks for another comprehensive review Goofyduck. I think I'll pass on this one. Hoping there will be a few gems this month; saving my credits up. (She says hopefully)!!!!

GaCorolla
Shark
Shark
13,397 Posts

[Post New]by GaCorolla on Nov 10, 10 5:47 AM
I know I will be passing on this one as well. I really hate HOGs and this one was one of the worst I have seen. I am glad I came here to see what the others said about this game. I stopped playing as soon as I saw how the HOG level was. on this one for me. BFG, PLEASE GET SOME BETTER SIMPLY MATCH 3s!!

peeshee_1951
Stingray
Stingray
5,444 Posts

[Post New]by peeshee_1951 on Nov 10, 10 7:08 AM
Offerings are slim so far so I dl'd this one out of pure boredom. I like to play a M3 when too tired to concentrate but just want to play a game . My opinion is this is a very poorly done HOG/M3. The HOG scenes in the first 2 chapters repeat over and over with different objects. It is one of those white, fuzzy, obscured scenes, not actually hidden. The voice over was good but that doesn't make a good game to me. The M3 part seemed fine and each chapter added bonus items to help you get more points. I wouldn't spend any on this one though. I can't see myself going back to this after playing one time. Hope someone enjoys. The name sounded good!

peglegann
Stingray
Stingray
5,174 Posts

[Post New]by peglegann on Nov 10, 10 7:09 AM
doctorgood wrote:Waaaaaaaah! I don't like match-3's..Waaaaaah!
Dr.good
p.s. thanks Goofyduck.

I have to comment on this! You are in the comments and reviews thread, where are your comment on the game?? You are the one hoping for separate discussions for different games. Why then, did you not make a new discussion thread for this? I came here looking for reviews not a baby crying! You know I mean well my friend. LOL! LOL! LOL! NOW, Behave in the future please. OK?

MEnr56
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,984 Posts

[Post New]by MEnr56 on Nov 10, 10 7:30 AM
fstar wrote:I also hate, hate, hate Timed games. I find myself making stupid mistakes because I'm paying to much attention to the time and then it isn't enjoyable.

I TOTALLY agree -- I always seem to spend more time looking at the timer and make mistake after mistake after mistake and of course, ultimately having to replay that level.

I'd planned on downloading it and playing it when I saw that it also included a HOG portion but when Goofyduck said that it was also a TIMED game with no alternative I decided not to even take the time to download it.

MEnr56

[Post New]by satexasgirl on Nov 10, 10 7:50 AM
Pretty much what Goofyduck said was spot on. I recovered two of the crystals and had just finished the 1st match 3 level after the hidden object scene for the 3rd crystal when my demo ended. I'm of two minds regarding this game. On the one hand I enjoy a hidden object/ match-3 combo. I also enjoyed the druid’s voice and the Celtic names. The hidden object scenes looked pretty. I have seen scissors shaped the way they are in the first scene, in fact I have a pair, but I don't think they're called scissors, but I could be wrong. (It's been known to happen on rare occasions )
On the other hand, the graphics were, to borrow from Gooyduck, “murky”. I had to use the hint button several times. Many items were too hard to distinguish either due to that murkiness or they were too small. I also don’t care for not having an untimed mode. I’ve rarely been able to complete a match-3 game in a timed mode and I have several I’ve never finished because no matter how hard I try or how many lives I earn I end up losing. That’s not cool and defeats the purpose of having a fun game to play in order to relax and wind down after a long day. It becomes frustrating and a chore, at least it does for me. It’s why I don’t play time management games. I’m sure there are those who get a kick out of racing to beat the clock whether it’s through a match-3 or time management. It’s just not my thing so I think I will probably give this a pass. I might pick it up as a DD.
Happy Wednesday, Y’all

mhatfie
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,447 Posts

[Post New]by mhatfie on Nov 10, 10 7:53 AM
Don't care much for match 3 games (tooooooo many years of playing bejeweled) . Am patiently waiting for tomorrow

gimmegames
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,231 Posts

[Post New]by gimmegames on Nov 10, 10 7:58 AM
The gameboard pieces have the sound and feel of the ones in Bato: Treasures of Tibet, which is a game I very much like the aesthetics of. So that much is a plus for me.

The music says it's a well-made game as well, as far as I recall (- you know what I mean - when it's right, you often don't actually listen to it, it blends in with the overall ambiance).

The match-3 gameplay in the 50 minutes I played it was fine, but not remarkable. If there's gameplay features added as you progress beyond that, it could be good, but the demo didn't show me anything very interesting. (- Just so you know, I've said the same of every Jewel Quest match-3 game demo, and then raved over them once I owned them.)

The reason I stopped playing a bit early? Got way too tired of searching the same faded scene over and over again for hidden objects, and wanted to use the "mallet" on the druid when he asked me to look for more.

I had no trouble with sliding the swaps - worked fine for me. This isn't the first game where some reviewers have had to use click click to swap, but mine slid just fine - so I guess it's a compatibility issue - or time for a new mouse maybe.

Edited on 11/10/2010 at 8:12:48 AM PST

hannah57
Clownfish
Clownfish
760 Posts

[Post New]by hannah57 on Nov 10, 10 8:11 AM
I gave this game a try and I found it to be kinda boring. The **** were mostly too small to find and the match 3 part wasn't that fun at all. No buy here.

James_Kit
Lobster
Lobster
89 Posts

[Post New]by James_Kit on Nov 10, 10 8:13 AM
You can drag in this game, but you have to do it instantly after clicking on tile. If you start to wonder if you'd like to move it up or down or to sides then it doesn't let you drag the piece.

HOG scenes are very so-so. Didn't like them.

Music is nice.

Background art and story is very good... but pieces are sooo dull. I like the ones from Woodville much more.

Eisteepfirsich
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,584 Posts

[Post New]by Eisteepfirsich on Nov 10, 10 8:15 AM
This is an average match 3 game with also hogscenes (searching via words, searching for pieces). The hogscenes are average: no really great graphic, items are often very hard too see ; hogscenes repeating very often.
The match 3 gameplay is nothing special - I didn`t like the fact, that you have only 5 "lives" at the beginning and loose one live after not being able to complete a match 3 game in the timed mode. The second fact I didn`t like, is that the game has only a timed mode - I don`t like feeling unter pressure in a match 3 game - in a time management game its great, but I don`t want this in a match 3 game. Overall the match 3 part is average and not worth a buy for a full credit in my opinion.

bfgDonau
Flounder
Flounder
2,464 Posts

[Post New]by bfgDonau on Nov 10, 10 8:56 AM
Thanks for getting this thread started! I'm going to go ahead and sticky this at the top of the Forum.

Remember, a lot of people who will be reading this thread will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

Happy gaming!

-bfgDonau

crofootski
Starfish
Starfish
52 Posts

[Post New]by crofootski on Nov 10, 10 9:46 AM
fstar, have you tried "Paradise Quest"? It's a good Match 3 game.

I'll try this one out. It looks like fun, especially with HOG in it.

ecblisa
Stingray
Stingray
5,078 Posts

[Post New]by ecblisa on Nov 10, 10 10:21 AM
Being in the Pacific time zone and NOT being a late-night person, I always come in at the end of the reviews, but I try to give quality, especially after I've bought the game and played at least 2+ hours.

This game was disappointingly easy (except for the murky HOG scenes) at first, although I liked the fact that it's got some puzzle aspects (carefully placed tokens that allow you to make big moves). I also hate timers, and I wasn't able to manage sliding moves (as opposed to double click moves) very often. (I agree with earlier reviewers that a very quick slide works, but I don't do that well.)

I did pay attention to the hint that said save your power-ups for later levels, and that sure was correct. There are some nasty developments later, like critical pieces suddenly being double-chained as you try to use them. I like being able to accumulate power-ups, that's a great feature.

About the timer: I personally hate timed games, but will buy a timed one if the timer does not knock me out too soon, and there is a way of gaining extra time by playing well. Since this game rewards matches of 4 tiles and above with extra time, I have not timed out in over 2 hours of play. (Hint for those whom the timer makes nervous: Don't ever look at it!)

This is not my favorite match-3 by far, but for adrenaline junkies and precision players, it might be just the thing.

Go to: