peglegann
Stingray
Stingray
5,174 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Sherlock Holmes: The Hound of the Baskervilles

[Post New]by peglegann on Nov 11, 10 2:27 AM
Thank you goofyduck, I think you have explained a lot of the game. I did a demo elsewhere, so I had a idea of what went where, so finished the sample version in 52 minutes. Looking at the number portraits it could be a long game.

A buy for me, as I have not bought much this month. Happy gaming all.

peglegann
Stingray
Stingray
5,174 Posts

[Post New]by peglegann on Nov 11, 10 2:28 AM
I LOVED this game - it is a beautiful iHOG and doesn't disappoint. It should be a must for iHOG lovers. At least I think so. It is on my buy list for my credit coming up in two days.

I thought that we could not use credits even if we have paid for them, or have I misunderstood you?

[Post New]by maggieannie43 on Nov 11, 10 2:33 AM
I love this game I have been waiting all month for a good one, I like the graphics and the story line, the mini games are good I need a challenge. I have just bought it and cannot wait to continue playing it. Try before you buy and you will fall in love with it .

cadett
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
11 Posts

Your Comments and Reviews for Sherlock Holmes: The Hound of the Baskervilles

[Post New]by cadett on Nov 11, 10 2:40 AM
goofyduck77 wrote:

You do not have a custom cursor option but you do have a resolution option, voice volume and the regulars, and also a “gamma” slider - I have no idea what that is for. Maybe somebody else knows? You have a choice between Easy and Hard, the easy being tutorial help, additional hints, fast recharge, easy puzzles, easy hidden object scenes. And hard? Not.

Thank you for the Review - it is really nice and full!
Only two things to add there is custom cursor at the top of the options page and "Gamma" is used to make location brighter or darker, it can be really useful if you think the scene is too dark. Cool game!!! Nice gaming!!! Thank you BFG!!!

dootney
Guppy
Guppy
163 Posts

[Post New]by dootney on Nov 11, 10 2:46 AM
Nice game, esp. for seniors. Objects easy to find and realistic. Nice flow to game. I am playing the easy mode and havent used the strategy guide or had a dah moment yet. Absolutely no techincal or down load problems. Thanks Big Fish, this is a winner for me.

care___916
Clownfish
Clownfish
988 Posts

[Post New]by care___916 on Nov 11, 10 3:36 AM
Loved this game! Nice and clear graphics and beautiful. Loved the voices.

Off to purchase.

Happy game day to all

samisgram
Lobster
Lobster
88 Posts

[Post New]by samisgram on Nov 11, 10 3:51 AM
As usual, GoofyDuck's comments are right on. What I like about this game is that it's not too hard and not too easy. Some of the HOG's lately have been just too easy, but this one's got some challenge for those of us who play in the Easy mode.

[Post New]by KaticaKatica on Nov 11, 10 4:03 AM
As entered to the 2nd floor and tried to apply "Materialization" on the picture to get the key, nothing happened. Can it be a bug or what id the problem? Can anybody help? Thx

irishmist
Starfish
Starfish
48 Posts

[Post New]by irishmist on Nov 11, 10 4:04 AM
Did I miss a message? I went to purchase this and its $19.99!What happened to $13.99? No buy for me if they have raised the prices.

Poutoule
Archerfish
Archerfish
41,630 Posts

[Post New]by Poutoule on Nov 11, 10 4:14 AM
Before this thread was issued, made a comment in "Sherlock Holmes : The Hound of the Baskervilles collector edition". Bought the game..... Are prices increasing ? That was mentionned nowhere, as far as I know.

gailweis
Guppy
Guppy
184 Posts

[Post New]by gailweis on Nov 11, 10 4:20 AM
Poutoule wrote:Before this thread was issued, made a comment in "Sherlock Holmes : The Hound of the Baskervilles collector edition". Bought the game..... Are prices increasing ? That was mentionned nowhere, as far as I know.

I went to buy and it was $13.99 (member's price). Based on these great reviews, I think I'll buy without even trying. It sounds great! Thanks! Goofyduck: Thought we can't use credits for Collector's Editions??

hogamefan
Minnow
Minnow
211 Posts

[Post New]by hogamefan on Nov 11, 10 4:38 AM
Not much to add to the comments made already, but just wanted to say what a fabulous game this appears to be from the demo. I love the ease of use with regard to the map and the messages that ask if you would like to go directly to a certain location. Another plus for me is that if you have more than one of a certain item in your inventory, you can place them all one-by-one instead of having to re-open the inventory each time.

This is the perfect game for a wild, wet and windy day such as today. The only downside is that my poor hubby will have to go out and get us a takeaway tonight - the kitchen isn't going to get used today!!

Happy gaming

sinshack
Flounder
Flounder
2,150 Posts

[Post New]by sinshack on Nov 11, 10 4:49 AM
irishmist wrote:Did I miss a message? I went to purchase this and its $19.99!What happened to $13.99? No buy for me if they have raised the prices.

Make sure you are "signed in" to the BFG website. I know every once in a while I will go to the site and need to sign in again, so that is probably your problem.

pvsquare
Guppy
Guppy
177 Posts

[Post New]by pvsquare on Nov 11, 10 5:36 AM
I took a look at the trial version and after reading what you fishes had to say about this game I am going to buy this one. As you all know I have a weakness for HOG and I am also a Sherlock Holmes fan.

[Post New]by michele312 on Nov 11, 10 5:36 AM
Can some body please tell me how to change the profile, love the game, and so does my husband, it wont let me add another player.

cherbtoo
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
22,629 Posts

[Post New]by cherbtoo on Nov 11, 10 5:40 AM
Well I looked at the screenshots and thought "oh no another dark game where the objects are going to be hard to find" and I very nearly didn't download it but as I had half an hour before I had to go out I caved and tried it.

Now I am back I can go and buy it as I was highly delighted to find that the objects and pieces are much easier to see than they had appeared and I it .

Thanks to Goofy and CasualGran for their great reviews .

Cherb

SoManyCrimes
Minnow
Minnow
214 Posts

[Post New]by SoManyCrimes on Nov 11, 10 5:41 AM
Ick. First off I should state that I'm not much of a Holmes fan: the purists can get unreasonably prickly about any change to the stories. I'm not one of those people.

Still, I feel I should still stick up for them a bit, here. Whatever Conan Doyle might have thought in real life, the Holmes stories are firmly anti-magical. Sure there's atmosphere and confusing situations, but there's always a rational explanation. I'm not against mixing genres in new Holmes pastiches like in The Awakened or the crazy films from the 70s, but rewriting an existing story and filling it with elements completely antithetical to the source material? I'm not sure I like that.

In this game, it didn't take ten minutes before I'd 'gone back in time' and developed magical 'strength powers'. Holmes keeps saying there's going to be an 'explanation', and maybe they'll try to give one, but so many weird things have already happened that it can only be nonsense. Made up science is not a satisfactory explanation. In many ways it's worse than magic.

The production values are very high. The game looks nice, and I appreciate the inclusion of harder puzzles and the option to teleport to where you clearly want to go. Earlier comments about the voice acting have left me a bit baffled: the actors don't seem to actually understand what they're reading, sometimes. Holmes, in particular, stops using any sort of reasonable intonation any time the sentence has more than one clause in it. And Henry Baskerville reacts to everything like he's just taken a whole handful of antihistemines! Sure it's better than average for a computer game but when can we get voice acting where it actually sounds like they read the script before they turned up for recording? It's not too much to ask.

I'm going to buy it, but only because I have a particular interest in mystery fiction in computer games, good or bad. If you're only interested in the game I'd recommend it, but if you like Holmes or this is a beloved story from your childhood I'd keep a wide berth.

JoJoLavin
Starfish
Starfish
42 Posts

[Post New]by JoJoLavin on Nov 11, 10 5:50 AM
Okay, At Last! I always read those few concise reviews in the forum before I try, and after about 17 minutes, I've made my purchase. The only negative is that I have to wait until after work to play. Thank you to those who bother to review these games for us. I am a loyal reader.

karen876
Catfish
Catfish
1,524 Posts

[Post New]by karen876 on Nov 11, 10 6:01 AM
Sorry to be the only "nay sayer" on this game but I just didn't like it.
I don't understand why we have to change screen resolution to play a game (everything was "stretched" in the demo I played). We are paying to play and not spend most of our time altering our computers.
I played in the hard mode and still sparkles were appearing around things. And the messages - "Would you like to go "wherever" now?" - Well, duh, obviously.
This is certainly not up to the standard that I expect from a CE and I doubt very much that I would buy it as a SE.
As too all the Fishies that do enjoy this game - Have fun!

irishmist
Starfish
Starfish
48 Posts

[Post New]by irishmist on Nov 11, 10 6:05 AM
Hi Casualgran ,Thanks for your help. You were correct thats what I did once I went back on the web site to purchase it was fine. Thans again.

Go to: