bfgArnoStyx
Stingray
Stingray
5,877 Posts

Post any Sherlock Holmes and the Hound of the Baskervilles Collector's technical issues here only

[Post New]by bfgArnoStyx on Nov 11, 10 9:07 AM
If you are having problems getting the game to work correctly, we highly recommend going to our Help pages. Using our Help pages is always the quickest way to get technical problems resolved. Here are a few suggested articles that have helped many people correct these types of problems in the past:

Frequent Crashing of Game
Game Compatibility

While we can offer a known solution for technical issues in the forums, or other tech savy pond residents can swim by with good tips and suggestions, we cannot provide the same excellent level of support provided by our Customer Support team. The forums are not very well suited for the kinds of information gathering and troubleshooting that get these types of issues corrected quickly. If there is a problem with the game, our Support Team can also gather necessary information on what types of computers are being affected by the problem and deliver this information to the developer for a fix.

If you are not able to get a game working properly using our Help pages, please get in touch with our Customer Support team, you can find a link to contact our Support team on the front page of our Help pages.

Edited on 11/11/2010 at 3:14:28 PM PST

vicalana
Stingray
Stingray
5,296 Posts

Re:Post any Sherlock Holmes: The Hound of the Baskervilles Collector's technical issues here only

[Post New]by vicalana on Nov 11, 10 9:18 AM
Looks like this game is too advanced for my aged computer. I switched to no custom cursor cos that often helps, but I'm getting nowhere. Can't move around at all. Enjoy all you fishies with newer computers! I'm going to go mad when I finally buy a new one!

Belladonna32
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
20,941 Posts

Re:Post any Sherlock Holmes: The Hound of the Baskervilles Collector's technical issues here only

[Post New]by Belladonna32 on Nov 11, 10 9:43 AM
I have the opposite problem. The game runs perfectly on my old XP machine but not on my brand new Windows 7. The game will run but every few seconds the screen goes black and then returns to the game. I tried the help pages which sugested changing my screen resolution to 1024x768 or higher but I am already on 1920x1080. Do I actually need to reduce the resolution? I've tried un-installing and reinstalled using "recomended settings" for windows7 but it still didn't change anything. I'm not using Fire Fox as suggested as a possible problem in one of the forum threads.
I'm not particularly au fait with technical details but I'm sure all my systems etc. are up to date.
So far I've only downloaded the demo and it looks just my sort of game but I don't want to buy unless I can be sure it will run on the new machine.

Moesha88
Starfish
Starfish
40 Posts

[Post New]by Moesha88 on Nov 11, 10 10:39 AM
I, too disabled the custom cursor (because it so often causes trouble) and now I can't do anything!

HOG_ger
Squid
Squid
71 Posts

[Post New]by HOG_ger on Nov 11, 10 10:44 AM
Generally the problem running certain games has to do with the video card or out of date video drivers.
Sometimes when I play a game and forget to close everything else, especially my browser, it minimizes to my task bar and try as it may will not load until I close everything else.
hope this helps

Belladonna32
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
20,941 Posts

[Post New]by Belladonna32 on Nov 11, 10 12:18 PM
Thanks both of you for your replies, I now seem to have solved the problem. I suddenly realised that when I re-installed I continued with the same profile which doesn't work. So I re-installed again, deleted the old profile & set up a new one. The game now appears to be running fine on the new profile. I should have remembered because I had to do this with a previous SH game which wouldn't run.
I knew it wasn't anything out of date because my computer is only about a month old.
Hope this may be of help to soeone else and thanks again.

smidgec
Seahorse
Seahorse
33 Posts

[Post New]by smidgec on Nov 11, 10 12:25 PM
it loads but all the boxes are blank. I had to guess which one would exit. i have reinstalled, updated software and hardware still doesn't work. works ok on the older computer. both on XP

mum26
Seahorse
Seahorse
22 Posts

[Post New]by mum26 on Nov 11, 10 1:49 PM
Whether you computers are new or not, makes no difference to driver updates as the updates come out quite regularly, I have learnt from past experience to always check updates when I have game issues and they are ALWAYS fixed by updating. For example, I updated my drivers on the 22nd October, only to have new updates come out the following week, and again yesterday, so the updates are very frequent. Please don't think that because you have a new computer everything is up to date, you don't know when that system was put together. It pays to ALWAYS update, I check every week now, and have no further game play issues at all. Hope this helps many of you with issues of game play, a very important lesson learnt over time.

smidgec
Seahorse
Seahorse
33 Posts

[Post New]by smidgec on Nov 11, 10 3:06 PM
my computer checks for hardware update everyday at 3am i also did a manual check still didn't work
someone said, log in as a new name but because all boxes are just blank i dont know which one to choose, i dont think that will work as it always loads with blank (white) boxes

smidgec
Seahorse
Seahorse
33 Posts

[Post New]by smidgec on Nov 11, 10 3:18 PM
I should have pointed out my video card and computer was updated so haven't had many issues lately my card is a NVDIVA GeForce4 440 with AGPX8

Re:Post any Sherlock Holmes: The Hound of the Baskervilles Collector's technical issues here onl

[Post New]by cab111 on Nov 11, 10 3:53 PM
Belladonna32 wrote:I have the opposite problem. The game runs perfectly on my old XP machine but not on my brand new Windows 7. The game will run but every few seconds the screen goes black and then returns to the game. I tried the help pages which sugested changing my screen resolution to 1024x768 or higher but I am already on 1920x1080. Do I actually need to reduce the resolution? I've tried un-installing and reinstalled using "recomended settings" for windows7 but it still didn't change anything. I'm not using Fire Fox as suggested as a possible problem in one of the forum threads.
I'm not particularly au fait with technical details but I'm sure all my systems etc. are up to date.
So far I've only downloaded the demo and it looks just my sort of game but I don't want to buy unless I can be sure it will run on the new machine.

cnmoore
Lobster
Lobster
80 Posts

Re:Post any Sherlock Holmes and the Hound of the Baskervilles Collector's technical issues her

[Post New]by cnmoore on Nov 11, 10 4:45 PM
Windows 7 64-bit. Game put up an all black screen, captured the cursor, and required that I kill it with Task Manager.

My other recent games play without problems.

Edited on 11/11/2010 at 4:47:06 PM PST

Re:Post any Sherlock Holmes and the Hound of the Baskervilles Collector's technical issues here

[Post New]by GothicBettie on Nov 11, 10 4:56 PM
I hope I'm posting this in the right forum topic. I have the collectors edition of this game and was going great until I tried to use the 'materialization' ability on the King Henry the VIII painting on the second floor. Its suppose to make the key 'materialize' from what I gather from the SG, but nothing happens. I also can't get the 'hint' to work either, even though it clears the bottle-I get no hint. I've disabled custom cursor but can't think of anything else that might be causing the issue. Any suggestions?

Thank you!!!

Coachswife
Starfish
Starfish
46 Posts

Re:Post any Sherlock Holmes and the Hound of the Baskervilles Collector's technical issues here

[Post New]by Coachswife on Nov 11, 10 5:05 PM
I downloaded the game this morning with no problem, but when I went to play it tonight, it would not open. I uninstalled it and thought I would just install again but it won't install at all. I have window 7 on my laptop and have never had a problem downloading a game before, any help out there

[Post New]by boyscoutdaniel on Nov 11, 10 6:56 PM
GothicBettie wrote:I hope I'm posting this in the right forum topic. I have the collectors edition of this game and was going great until I tried to use the 'materialization' ability on the King Henry the VIII painting on the second floor. Its suppose to make the key 'materialize' from what I gather from the SG, but nothing happens. I also can't get the 'hint' to work either, even though it clears the bottle-I get no hint. I've disabled custom cursor but can't think of anything else that might be causing the issue. Any suggestions?

Thank you!!!

Same problem here too. Is it a glitch or are we just not doing it right?

shadowfax44
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
21,885 Posts

Re:Post any Sherlock Holmes and the Hound of the Baskervilles Collector's technical issues her

[Post New]by shadowfax44 on Nov 11, 10 8:22 PM
boyscoutdaniel wrote:
GothicBettie wrote:I hope I'm posting this in the right forum topic. I have the collectors edition of this game and was going great until I tried to use the 'materialization' ability on the King Henry the VIII painting on the second floor. Its suppose to make the key 'materialize' from what I gather from the SG, but nothing happens. I also can't get the 'hint' to work either, even though it clears the bottle-I get no hint. I've disabled custom cursor but can't think of anything else that might be causing the issue. Any suggestions?

Thank you!!!

Same problem here too. Is it a glitch or are we just not doing it right?

I am having the exact same problem... the materialization power won't work. I have exited game and gone back in - still nothing.

katbear50
Clownfish
Clownfish
551 Posts

[Post New]by katbear50 on Nov 11, 10 10:41 PM
My green "BUY" button will not respond.
I want this game.
Have never had this happen before?

Inanga
Lobster
Lobster
88 Posts

[Post New]by Inanga on Nov 11, 10 10:44 PM
Really weird!!! I enter my name and it tells me the profile is corrupted and invites me to put in another name. Tried several names and still the same. Then is see below in the shadows the words "Welcome Katy".
Who is Katy? Tried that name, same result!

Belladonna32
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
20,941 Posts

[Post New]by Belladonna32 on Nov 12, 10 2:52 AM
When you put in the new profile you need to delete all the others (sorry if you did that already). If that soesn't work try un-installing and re-installing, again deleting all existing profiles and starting with a new one.
I've not had exactly this problem before but it has worked with similar ones.
Like you say - Weird!

Rallygreg
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
15 Posts

[Post New]by Rallygreg on Nov 12, 10 4:58 AM
Well I thought it would be a good game, but it wont even start for me.

It seems that the game cannot handle dual monitors. As soon a I try to start the start the game everything flickers including the Game Manager.

I have purchased over 30 games in the last year and this is only the second game that I have downloaded (as a trial) that will not run at all.

Windows 7 Ultimate with dual screens.

Cheers

Greg

Go to: