bfgArnoStyx
Stingray
Stingray
5,877 Posts

Your Comments and Reviews for Deepica

[Post New]by bfgArnoStyx on Nov 11, 10 9:28 AM
Hey Fishies! What do you think of Deepica? We value your reviews, as do many of the other fishies in our pond, so feel free to post your comments and opinions in this thread!

Remember, a lot of people who will be reading this thread will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

If you are seeking game help, the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the Game Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion'!

Happy gaming!

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Deepica

[Post New]by satexasgirl on Nov 11, 10 11:01 AM
It's a match-3 of the bubble popper variIety. There's no timer per se, but further into the demo a message pops up saying that if the crystal in the middle gets full you won't be able to make any more matches and you lose the level or something to that effect. That's when I noticed the crystal in the middle of the whatever it was changes colors and & gains or loses color as you match the coral pieces. I'm sure that there is someone who can explain it better, but hopefully, you get the gist of it. I made it through two of the stages and was part way through the third level of the third stage when the demo ended. I think there are 12 levels per stage, but I can't recall how many stages. There is no story to speak of other than the intro. If there's more I didn't come across it in the time I played. Graphics were bright and colorful. I doubt very much that I will buy for several reasons: there was nothing special to hold my interest, my cursor kept freezing as did the screen, and while it may sound like a petty and asinine thing, the title of the game bugged me. I did not pay any attention to the availability of options so I have no clue if I could have turned the custom cursor off or note. Looking at the game specs, my system is more than adequate so I know it's not my computer. I will say that evel if the curso was not an issue I still wouldn't buy. I have too many better quality games I can reinstall and would rather go back and play those games instead.
Happy Thursday Y'all (And to any who served or serve Happy Vetrans' Day, thanks for what you do)

Eisteepfirsich
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,584 Posts

[Post New]by Eisteepfirsich on Nov 11, 10 12:05 PM
This is an easy marble popper game. Too easy for me, but I recommend it to marble popper-newbies. No buy for me, but I hope many other fishies will enjoy it

SublimeOne
Clownfish
Clownfish
795 Posts

[Post New]by SublimeOne on Nov 11, 10 12:20 PM
Yup, too easy for me too.

I got to level 3-6 in half an hour and I never lost a life, or even came close.

I thought the rebound physics were a little off but once you adjust to that, it's pretty easy to aim the ball. Or whatever it is.

I would have liked something in between the main levels. Like after you complete one section you get a **** scene, or a different type of popper, or some puzzle or something.

The graphics are OK, although not spectacular. I turned the music way down but the sound effects are fine.

I thought it was all completely forgettable. No story, no excitement, nothing original.

Just MHO.

Lyndy20
Clownfish
Clownfish
543 Posts

[Post New]by Lyndy20 on Nov 11, 10 12:28 PM
I didn't realise the game was of the bubble popper variety when I downloaded the trial. I'm not fond of that variety, so it's not a buy for me. However, the graphics are nice and the Coral are cute. I only played for a short while but in that time power-ups were obtained by catching crystals as they fall. Hitting a fixed crystal ignited the power-up.

ecblisa
Stingray
Stingray
5,078 Posts

[Post New]by ecblisa on Nov 11, 10 12:51 PM
First of all, yes, this game is timed. I did not run out of time until level 6.something, but then I did and first noticed the very subtle burning wire across the top. So there are actually two timers, one based solely on time and one based on not making enough productive moves.

The game is neither as short nor as easy as those who have played only the demo have perceived. There are at least 90 levels (ten groups of 9 levels each), and there may be bonus play beyond that -- I haven't made it that far. The second set of 5 stages is quite a lot harder than the first set.

I don't mean to be critical of anyone's effort, but it might be wise to be a little more tentative in reviewing a game based only on a very short period of play. Many games do not develop real character for a while, and "too easy -- only for children" may apply only to the introductory levels.

I consider this game a lot of fun, and it calls for unusual skills, especially to take advantage of the power-ups. Not a dull game, and not a "same-old, same-old."

Thaletta
Starfish
Starfish
42 Posts

[Post New]by Thaletta on Nov 11, 10 4:25 PM
The one thing I found most disappointing in this game is it is a marble popper and that's it. I played the 60 minutes, but with no trophies, no way of spending the earned numbers, in the end, I even let the jewels fall where they will as there was no incentive to grab them. A real shame as the game itself is good, just not enough extras and it is a no buy for me

gimmegames
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,231 Posts

[Post New]by gimmegames on Nov 11, 10 4:32 PM
Played the demo. Aesthetically colorful, pleasing, and gentle. No timer and I never lost a round.

I rather enjoyed the demo hour, but did not find it interesting enough to want to play more. But that's just my own preference.

As for it being a marble popper, my idea of a marble popper is one where the playing pieces move in a line like a train. This is not that sort of game.

[Post New]by daisyduck352 on Nov 11, 10 6:45 PM
Marble popping isn't for me anymore. It's good for someone who has just started playing games. I played the demo and didn't last very long.

Edited on 11/11/2010 at 6:48:31 PM PST

owlgirl61
Lobster
Lobster
93 Posts

[Post New]by owlgirl61 on Nov 12, 10 10:47 AM
I love this game. It's definitely a M3 and not a 'marble popper'. I love the way the coral move around - it's so different.

I'd buy it if I thought it would be longer. Finished first 2 levels in 25 minutes. I'll carry on see how it goes, but will probably wait until it's on special offer.

Still love it, and would recommend as it's different.

suzette72
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
11 Posts

[Post New]by suzette72 on Nov 13, 10 1:06 PM
Very unusual game IMO. I won't repeat what other reviewers have said, but will try to add my own thoughts. I was sceptical about this game at first, but after playing for a while, I found it challenging and interesting. Not only do the "corals" move around the center, the center moves, which makes angled shots sometimes tricky. The action strikes me as a mix of "bounce out" and "ricochet/rebound" where you have to "shoot" at the corals but have to hit them in combinations of three or more for them to explode. Power ups were sometimes very helpful, sometimes not very helpful at all, sometimes a hinderance. They were seemingly random, though -- it would have been more useful to be able to choose a power up that would be effective in a given situation, but alas, that is not to be.
Am I going to buy it? Probably -- it is a little challenging and it is different from anything in my (rather large) match 3 collection. I wish it had a cogent story line and better music (it is bubble gum insipid and adds nothing), but that's true of a lot of games not as clever as this one. Hope this helps -- if you like match 3s or marble popper or even arcade type games, you may want to at least try this one out.

ecblisa
Stingray
Stingray
5,078 Posts

[Post New]by ecblisa on Nov 13, 10 1:38 PM
Thanks for the nice review, Suzette -- you got it just right IMHO! I am currently stuck about 10 levels from the end. I've lost three lives on this levels, not because of the timer but because of the "not enough productive moves" limitation. Every time I make a non-explosive move (and those match moves are really hard to make!), several non-matching corals rain down on the center.

Gee, I wish those people who said this is a simple game for children had been a little more correct! The last few levels are really nasty.

opiesmom
Squid
Squid
70 Posts

[Post New]by opiesmom on Nov 13, 10 2:26 PM
Game play was fun, music not so irritating that I had to turn it off. Kind of easy bot hot a buy for me maily because it's all sort of pointless. I need a beit more... I don't know... something that makes the game play worth it.

[Post New]by styxdancer on Nov 14, 10 8:01 AM
I agree it is simple on the lower levels, but I really enjoyed it. I think I got up to level 5 or 6 by the end of the hour trial. It gets more challenging on the higher levels. I like having a relaxing match 3 game to play to unwind after a stressful day of work, so it was a buy for me.

huntington101
Salmon
Salmon
2,525 Posts

[Post New]by huntington101 on Nov 14, 10 11:22 AM
The ONLY difference between this game and The Golden Path of Plumeboom is that Plumeboom runs smooth and this one is jerky as all heck.

Boo-Hiss

cnmoore
Lobster
Lobster
80 Posts

[Post New]by cnmoore on Nov 17, 10 4:40 PM
This is a fun bubble popper. It gets harder as you go along. The different center things require a modest amount of strategic thinking. I got to level 4 in the demo. Didn't have the jerkiness that someone complained of and the physics seemed accurate..

I don't know The Golden Path of Plumeboom (same developer, 2007). About to try it and see which of these I might want to buy. Nice relief from the endless HOGs.

Edit: Deepica is much more appealing. The bubbles have faces and make a nice sound. I've bought it and am enjoying it a lot.

Edited on 11/17/2010 at 6:20:56 PM PST

[Post New]by carpolita on Nov 19, 10 11:28 AM
I really do like the relaxed quality of the game, but it is still challenging on the higher levels. I like to play it to wind down after work, etc. The only question I have is how do you increase your overall score? Is it through the number of gems collected, the speed of finishing a level? That is not clear to me. Can't seem to get past high 800K. I would like a bit of guidance at the beginning just to know about bonuses and such.

[Post New]by MrsElectkatt on Nov 24, 10 9:37 AM
Entertaining although the visual seems a little dated. It was a little too monotonous
far too quickly. It might be good for a young child.

The main point though is that I could not pay for anything that is using a premise of destroying coral for a bit of treasure, particularly if it was to be played by young children.

Gieyo
Clownfish
Clownfish
766 Posts

[Post New]by Gieyo on Dec 7, 10 5:51 AM
Although I'm aware this is "just a game" I question the adequacy of the "destroy living coral to gain some treasure" premise.

I haven't finished my trial (played around 40mins and am on level 6) and I actually stopped to come check the forum with one question on my mind.... Is this all there is?

Don't get me wrong, the game is cute, but after 6 levels I just find it very un-challenging (maybe I've been lucky with my coral balls).

I see ecblisa says it gets harder close to the end. I'm happy to hear that, because up to now I thought the graphs were nice and the game was relaxing (hadn't even noticed there were any kind of timers anywhere), but it somehow seemed too easy and not challenging at all. I was wondering why this was not catalogued as a kids' game. I think it could add some fun to when they study vectors (and since you don't even get rewards no risk they start betting, which could happen if they practice vectorial physics by playing pool ).

Stevihj
Clownfish
Clownfish
507 Posts

[Post New]by Stevihj on Jan 5, 11 8:50 AM
The graphics are okay. The gameplay is Bubble popping M3. The whole destroy living coral isn't exactly a good thing. The game is extremely easy, and gets dull after a time. There are shells that spit out more coral and the gem in the middle becomes a timer, but until the demo ran out, I hadn't lost a game.

This game is a D.

Go to: