peglegann
Stingray
Stingray
5,174 Posts

Your Comments and Reviews for Antiques Roadshow

[Post New]by peglegann on Nov 12, 10 2:03 AM
Well. As you can see by the beginning posts. The ladder in the first HOG scene was VERY hard to find
Someone that did the Beta said they never found it!! LOL. I did eventually find it after another fishie helped. Then I was told that I would not get a bonus for that scene as I had taken too long
It was then hard to find the way out after finishing the attic, you have to go way down to the bottom of the screen to exit. I then had to use a sledgehammer to get into the next scene. How can people do that to other peoples property?? , to meet another junkpile! Lasted 16 minutes in total, sorry if some people think that this was not long enough to form a review on the game. BELIEVE ME it was
Music repetitive, I really wanted to get further to see the "roadshow but........
Guess what??? NO buy for me

Edited on 11/12/2010 at 8:51:28 AM PST

VolleymomDee
Squid
Squid
70 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Antiques Roadshow

[Post New]by VolleymomDee on Nov 12, 10 2:13 AM
Hmmm, interesting. I was very frustrated while trying to find the ladder, but I persevered! I can't say that the items are any smaller or more difficult to find than some of the Agatha Christie games. Granted, there are some dark spots, and sometimes only corners of an object are visible, which for a HOG makes it a bit more challenging. The hint did recharge quickly, which was helpful. I did enjoy seeing the Roadshow experts appraise items, and I even enjoyed reading about the objects' histories. I was glad to see the skip button on the minigames was available immediately; I particularly appreciated this during the demo, so I could move farther into the game. I did have to pause to understand what was required to use the decoder; the instructions could have been clearer. I am wondering how long this game is because I am thinking of using a credit to procure it.

peglegann
Stingray
Stingray
5,174 Posts

[Post New]by peglegann on Nov 12, 10 2:26 AM
Way to go VolleymomDee.!!!
Enjoy

puzzledone
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,182 Posts

[Post New]by puzzledone on Nov 12, 10 2:53 AM
Chalk another game up on my would love to buy it if I could see it. No game for a small screen that's for sure. Pity, I like the tv show and have been in the biz for decades and have a very good eye for spotting period pieces and overlooked treasures in swaps, fleas, auctions, even junk pile yard sales. Just not good enough eyes to find them in these pictures. Many brown or black skinny things, miniscule. Maybe it's a fun game on a bigggg monitor.

Timed or untimed, easy with tutorial or not. The opening with music led me to feel it was going to be lighthearted and fun, altho a bumpy start when each time you hit continue music stops and bumps in with a different tune. Once Playing I liked the turn of century piano roll, fit the game, but the ooom pah pah strict rhythm quickly got monotonous when I had to spend so much time on one scene, hoping it would change. It did, a different piece, later a softer guitar I think.

The missing ladder mentioned just popped down from somewhere when I was on a random click hunt for something else. I slid right down into my inventory. With such tiny unidentifiable objects the devs made sure to include the annoyance factor, this time dust covers the screen on too many clicks. You can stop and use a cloth to clear it and get your cursor back, or just wait til it settles. Way too gimmicky for an otherwise interesting theme that should stand on it's own, a little historical information on appraisals between levels was welcome. And I do appreciate the period objects on the list and some I could see, in context to the theme, none of the objects we hate. Altho I must say I know what an anvil looks like, but only one did, the other 4 could fool me.

Then the find matching buttons, right out of Can You See What I See. No, sorry I can't, these even move around as you try to hit one. Skip. Then comes a decoder thing with letters and numbers and instructions making no sense to me. Even when getting the clues on a piece of paper, I turned the dial once, got one, then it wouldn't turn again. Found a walkthrough, still didn't say HOW to manipulate it even though you think you know the answer. NO SKIP. Demo time up. If you can't play that part forget it because the WT shows it between every level to do again with another code.

Just wore me out. I need a punch to finish a card, even a freebie code from October's card not used. Hoped this would be it. Hoped I'd love playing this, but for me, just not user friendly. Sorry.

puzzledone
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,182 Posts

[Post New]by puzzledone on Nov 12, 10 3:05 AM
Just to add, another demo time waster for me was trying to get out of that room, not finding any arrows down or anywhere scanning all sides of the room. Back to the attic, no way outside, back down the ladder, scanning everywhere for a clue to move on. Finally, unlike any game I know (or can recall) the down arrow to leave isn't on the room scene, but at the bottom of the Inventory bar that must have popped across the screen in one of my clicks. So, to move on, put pointer at the far bottom of the screen, not the scene. Timers on demos really frazzle me, I try to watch the game not the clock, but I wouldn't have got as far as I did without 4 or 5 hints per room after finding all the more obvious and identifiable ones. And lack of clear puzzle instructions or confusing ones with no Skip on that puzzle, altho I played the whole hour I can't really say anything else about this game. Just a very disappointing experience for me personally.

For those who love meaningful objects for a game's theme, you'll love it. For those who don't like a lot of hogs, just take a pass. About the only thing I really enjoyed was bashing that door lock with a sledgehammer, I wanted to hit something, and luckily it didn't take a key

doctorgood
Clownfish
Clownfish
589 Posts

[Post New]by doctorgood on Nov 12, 10 4:01 AM
Based on what peglegann and puzzledone have posted I am very sure this is not for me! I'm going to go waste my time somewhere else. Thanks ladies for the informative reviews.
Dr.good

peglegann
Stingray
Stingray
5,174 Posts

[Post New]by peglegann on Nov 12, 10 4:12 AM
doctorgood wrote:Based on what peglegann and puzzledone have posted I am very sure this is not for me! I'm going to go waste my time somewhere else. Thanks ladies for the informative reviews.
Dr.good

No problem Dr. Good. But, don't blame us if in the future you try and buy. LOL!

Eisteepfirsich
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,584 Posts

[Post New]by Eisteepfirsich on Nov 12, 10 4:19 AM
This isn`t a good game. The graphic is so-so, items are often almost impossible to see (for example: the ladder in the first hog-scene!), only searching one room for clues after another. I can`t recommend this game, but if you like this type of game you should try "Gardenscapes", thats a very good example for welldone hogs.

krissywillow
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,084 Posts

[Post New]by krissywillow on Nov 12, 10 4:49 AM
Screen shots indicate the graphics aren't that great (my biggest requirement). Reviews so far have confirmed that. Not interested in even demo'ing this one.

laeddie
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,053 Posts

[Post New]by laeddie on Nov 12, 10 5:17 AM
Thanks for the comments/reviews. I had looked forward to this game since I am not very good at Hidden Object games(unless they're easy for this aging vet) but will wait on trying it for now.

Edited on 11/12/2010 at 5:19:19 AM PST

[Post New]by Asharon555 on Nov 12, 10 6:40 AM
Once one has downloaded this game and clicked to play it takes too long to open and too long to close. Are the BBC so stingy that it can not gives us the original theme tune? The ladder I have not found and as a H.O.G there are far supeirior and interesting plots than this, . Antique by name antique by nature.
A Goliath no. Don't waste your money.

Edited on 11/12/2010 at 6:46:07 AM PST

[Post New]by hydrogibbon on Nov 12, 10 6:41 AM
I didn't find the game too hard if you like junkpile games. However I thought it was boring. Going from junkpile to junkpile is not my cup of tea.

judy76073
Clownfish
Clownfish
531 Posts

[Post New]by judy76073 on Nov 12, 10 6:44 AM
well, I tried the game, played for almost 1/2 hour - some items almost impossible to find - had to use the hint a fair bit & I have a 22" screen!! graphics were somewhat grainy in the HOG scenes. Found the game somewhat on the boring side. Hopefully tomorrow will bring an interesting game.

sorahi23
Seahorse
Seahorse
21 Posts

[Post New]by sorahi23 on Nov 12, 10 6:50 AM
I seem to be in the minority here, but I really enjoyed this game. Yes, a lot of the objects are small, but since I can play in untimed mode that doesn't bother me. It is a bit of a challenge, although I will be the first to admit there were a few items I would not have found without the hint button (I had no idea what a train socket looked like).

I skipped most of the mini-games, because I wanted to see more of the hidden object scenes and I really don't find looking for buttons or gears that enjoyable, being able to skip immediately without waiting for a bar to fill was great!

I also liked the decoder sequences, they were fun and I am interested in the answer to the mystery they are slowly unwinding. The Road Show scenes were informative and the antiques in them had beautiful graphics. I liked the fact that second or third time I visited a scene (for example, the farmhouse) the items I had removed before were gone! I always dislike when I am supposedly "cleaning out" a room and everything I've taken before is right back where it was.

So, while I agree with everyone else that some of the objects are small and hard to find, I found that, at least in the untimed mode, this would make a nice relaxing and challenging way to spend some time and enjoy a nice plot as well. I believe I will be buying this one.

Edited on 11/12/2010 at 6:50:44 AM PST

Micha1234
Clownfish
Clownfish
910 Posts

[Post New]by Micha1234 on Nov 12, 10 7:40 AM
I agree 100 % with puzzledone. Found it to be an awful game. I have good eye sight but a lot of the items are way too small. I didn't even last half an hour. A lot of times even using the hint button it took me me a couple of clicks to get the right item. That darned ladder needed three and I still don't know where exactly it was.
I'm just not sure if I want to strangle that girl with her bloody dust rag or gag her.....I found that soooo annoying!!!!!
Seriously...trash heap!!!!!

Anniejo
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
24,109 Posts

[Post New]by Anniejo on Nov 12, 10 7:47 AM
Sad so sad I was looking forward to this one. I feel let down.

[Post New]by BABS710 on Nov 12, 10 7:52 AM
sad.felt like i wasted my entire trial time on one dumb game. screen froze every time it came to decoding the stupid box.wanted so bad to like the game like i do the show

penrose47
Stingray
Stingray
4,597 Posts

[Post New]by penrose47 on Nov 12, 10 8:28 AM
THANKS FOR THE REVIEWS

Will be demo it, I am reading in this thread different views

So>>>>>>>>>>off >>>>>>to "C"

PEN

bfgArnoStyx
Stingray
Stingray
5,877 Posts

[Post New]by bfgArnoStyx on Nov 12, 10 8:50 AM
Hi Fishies,

Thanks for starting up the Comments & Reviews thread! I'm going to go ahead and sticky it for you. Enjoy!

-bfgArnoStyx

pungstress
Minnow
Minnow
203 Posts

[Post New]by pungstress on Nov 12, 10 9:42 AM
I was looking forward to playing this game because I love Antique Roadshow, but it was a bit of a let-down. Standard HOG, and like others have said some of the items were near impossible to see either because they were very small or partially hidden. Music started to annoy me after the first 20 minutes. No buy for me.

Go to: