amj0963
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,544 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Season Match: Curse of the Witch Crow

[Post New]by amj0963 on Nov 14, 10 3:17 AM
thanks goofyduck for the great review. i loved season match 1 and 2 and 3 is no exception. they brought back more from game 1 which i like. music is not obtrusive. goofyduck says the rest for me

budordee
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
18 Posts

[Post New]by budordee on Nov 14, 10 3:35 AM
BORING!!!

gimmegames
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,231 Posts

[Post New]by gimmegames on Nov 14, 10 3:42 AM
If you like this type of match-3 gameplay, but not so much the Season Match style, try Jurassic Realm.

[Post New]by heatherington on Nov 14, 10 3:46 AM
Actually I had never tried the previous Season Matches, probably because I never noticed them. I don't play many match three's, except for the fishdom series. I did play Well Mell. But I thought I would take a gander at this because it looked interesting. Thanks for the good review Goofy Duck.

carolinacat
Minnow
Minnow
287 Posts

[Post New]by carolinacat on Nov 14, 10 4:26 AM
You don't need a long review for this game since you can play the demo and get the feel of it right away. It's a step up from Season Match 1 but still a bit boring for those who want more of a challenge.

The graphics ARE nice and clear and colorful. I didn't care for the minigames between play. The music was boring, too.

It's very much like Jurassic Realm, which I enjoyed, but I would've thought they'd made it more sophisticated by now.

It's a good match game for younger ages and those who just want time to kill. It has a bit of everything from matching to finding objects to spot the difference to jigsaw, at least during the demo.

The instructions were sparse and you pretty much have to figure out for yourself that you have powerups to use and how to use them. It doesn't appear there's a timer?

Not a buy for me.

Edited on 11/14/2010 at 4:29:13 AM PST

_DD_
Flounder
Flounder
2,115 Posts

[Post New]by _DD_ on Nov 14, 10 5:05 AM
According to the help, there's unlimited play time, but you get an extra bonus if you win in time; there's a clock-thing at the bottom right. I didn't find out how much time a level has exactly, but had the impression time's up, when the witch vanishes from inside the clock. Same principle in Arcade mode (sun = in time, sun+moon, moon).

Edited on 11/14/2010 at 5:06:17 AM PST

yasure
Minnow
Minnow
217 Posts

[Post New]by yasure on Nov 14, 10 5:08 AM
budordee wrote:BORING!!![/quote

I agree 100%. BORING ]

ToonaCat
Guppy
Guppy
139 Posts

[Post New]by ToonaCat on Nov 14, 10 5:34 AM
I loved II (never played I), and love this one also! For me, I find it relaxing, but not boring. I think it is charming, and like that even though the mini-games are easy, they are always different and fit into the story nicely.

No timer, but different medals depending on your time, and can replay to improve score if desired. Also, you can unlock Arcade mode which is pretty fun, and looks like a lot of play for the $.

It's a buy for me.

zorrogumbo
Clownfish
Clownfish
550 Posts

[Post New]by zorrogumbo on Nov 14, 10 5:59 AM
Hi everybody out in the pond. I beta this one. If you already have played the 2nd Season Match, you will not find anything new under the sun. The graphics are better but the rest is the same. The mini-games are TOO and I mean TOO much easy. That is what killed this game for me.

annatar
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
425 Posts

[Post New]by annatar on Nov 14, 10 6:48 AM
This was an utterly charming game! So beautiful and colourful, and I delighted in finding the various ways of destroying blocks, getting lightning to strike in just the right places, using the bombs, etc. I was about halfway through March when the time was up, and since there are 12 months (and we started with January), I'll assume there will still be 9 months and 2-3 hours of playtime. I suppose it depends on whether that girl at the start also was a month or not.... we were never told her name, but if she's a month too, there might be only 11 levels in all. Anyway, since I bought and loved the other Season Match, I think this will be a definitive buy.

I totally enjoyed myself playing it, it's utterly charming and relaxing, and the drawings are very, very beautiful! Enjoy!!

Edited on 11/14/2010 at 6:49:54 AM PST

Lisa522
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,850 Posts

[Post New]by Lisa522 on Nov 14, 10 7:19 AM
After reading some of the reviews and comments, I still was baffled by what I was seeing in the screenshots so I decided to give this one a try myself since I have never played Seasons Match 1 or 2 before.

The premise is that an evil witch has encased each of the months (who represent heroes) in ice. They normally meet in the meadow each year but because of the evil spell, they cannot. Your job is to assist the main character in freeing each of the month people.

Each scene starts with a very easy HOG scene where you are asked to do various tasks such as chase swirling lights and click them in order to clear the fog and let the sun shine through or you might be asked to find a certain number of crows or mirror pieces.

Then you are taken to a match 3 board. This is one of those match 3 games where you must click the pieces in groups of three in order to clear sections of the board. Along the bottom, are the various month people that you have freed. Each has their own specific item you can use to clear the board. The first girl has sort of an old-man-winter symbol. When you use it, you hear the wind blow and what appears to be shards of ice rains down on the board and clears a large square of pieces wherever you set it. When January (man) was freed, he has a large cutlass which slices diagonally on the board, clearing a path... and so on with the others as you free them and they join your arsenal. Each match 3 board contains special pieces you must also clear and some that you can use to assist you (such as lightning bolts which zap an entire straight line). Once you have collected all the pieces in the puzzle, you can go to work on destroying the main ice block at the bottom, which houses whatever person (or sometimes item) you are trying to free.

The graphics in the game are quite nice. The music was okay - didn't love, didn't hate. The thing that gives this game a bit of a chintzy feel to it is the narration of the story - it's obvious that English is not the main language but just the way the story is described sounds somewhat rudimentary. Not bashing the devs as obviously they did their best but think this game could have benefited a great deal by hiring in someone fluent with words to rephrase your objectives, etc to give them a little more pizazz.

Game has a timer but you are NOT limited by it. If you finish early, you simply get a points bonus.

I would rate this game 2.5 - mostly because of the narration.

[Post New]by LapTopDancerr on Nov 14, 10 7:36 AM
I like the Season Match series (own 1,2 & 3) because they're not trying to prove anything except be a pleasant pass time. Graphics are better than the first one. 'Muzak' is repetitive and can be lowered (they won't win a grammy for the soundtrack). The mini H-0s are a diversion, nothing more. I like 'fairytale' themed games in between Redemption Cemetary, Dire Grove, Redrum, etc. and bought this awhile ago. & a half
ALL M 3 games start out easy and become progressively harder. Some have over 100 levels and a longer gaming experience than most HOGs.
If you equate boring with easy than you should play at least the full hour before you decide. Some games are REALLY boring because they ARE boring. Power ups usually come later in the game. This isn't a 'loud' M 3 like Saqqarah (great game), but is enjoyable for what it is, at least to me.
BTW: Not all reviews need to be "longer than the game". LOL
edit: avatars/color

Edited on 11/14/2010 at 9:26:06 AM PST

Faylyn
Minnow
Minnow
259 Posts

[Post New]by Faylyn on Nov 14, 10 7:53 AM
I gave this a favorable review when asked to Beta some weeks ago. I usually don't play Match 3 games (except for DragonStone which I love), but I did enjoy this one. The graphics are very nicely done. The music is repetitive but can be muted. You have a cursor option which is always nice. The degree of difficulty progresses as the game goes on. For those who play Match 3 games, I have no doubt you will like this one. Happy gaming and have fun!

Faylyn

bfgDonau
Flounder
Flounder
2,464 Posts

[Post New]by bfgDonau on Nov 14, 10 8:58 AM
Thanks goofyduck77 for starting up this thread! I'm going to go ahead and sticky this at the top of the Forum.

Remember, a lot of people who will be reading this thread will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

Have fun!

-bfgDonau

njewer
Guppy
Guppy
129 Posts

[Post New]by njewer on Nov 14, 10 8:58 AM
Faylyn wrote: (except for DragonStone which I love)

Faylyn

I know - off topic - but Dragonstone is one of my favourite games (and I am usually more of a HOG and TM person - rarely play match 3s) - been wishing for a sequel to Dragonstone since it came out!

doctorgood
Clownfish
Clownfish
589 Posts

[Post New]by doctorgood on Nov 14, 10 9:07 AM
budordee wrote:BORING!!!

Excellent review! I will consider all of your points pro and con and make an informed decision at a later time after I have assimilated all of the aforementioned information.
Thank you!
Dr.good

p.s. Thanks Goofyduck for the excellent review.

Edited on 11/14/2010 at 9:09:38 AM PST

[Post New]by satexasgirl on Nov 14, 10 9:08 AM
Goofyduck and others say it so much better than I can...so thanks to all. Ditto everything Goofy said and I'll add that I did find the GOG & spot the difference scenes fairly easy in the hour I played. That's fine with me I liked the appropriate sound effects...bat's chirpinng and pages turning when you found the objects. I really don't care for spot the difference so I'm perfectly content that in the two I had there were only 6 differences to spot. It's a buy for me, once I get my pay check.

penrose47
Stingray
Stingray
4,597 Posts

[Post New]by penrose47 on Nov 14, 10 9:38 AM
doctorgood wrote:

Excellent review! I will consider all of your points pro and con and make an informed decision at a later time after I have assimilated all of the aforementioned information.
Thank you!
Dr.good

LOVE your WAY with words!!

You always make my day, LOVE reading your POSTS
THANKS
DR

euphoria
Herring
Herring
386 Posts

[Post New]by euphoria on Nov 14, 10 10:03 AM
I beta'ed this and was really on the fence about whether to buy. The graphics are beautiful, but the storyline is all over the map; there's no real logic to it. "This item does this, so find all the pieces of that item and we'll move on," is what each bit of dialogue might as well say, because that's pretty much all that happens. Finding pieces is super easy and seems a bit pointless. The match-3 part is not that difficult (at least not as far as I had gotten), but it became rather tedious after awhile and I found myself hoping the beta would end about ten minutes before it did. I haven't checked to see if any improvements have been made (I'm guessing not, since it came out rather quickly after the beta test), but for now it's going on my "wait for the $2.99 deal" list, and rather low on that list at that.

kisskeeps
Catfish
Catfish
1,508 Posts

[Post New]by kisskeeps on Nov 14, 10 10:04 AM
doctorgood wrote:

Thank you!
Dr.good

ROFLMBO ha haha ha ha haaaahaa, 'Good' one, doc.

Go to: