bfgImbrium
Manatee
Manatee
4,236 Posts

Your Comments and Reviews for Veronica Rivers: Portals to the Unknown ™

[Post New]by bfgImbrium on Nov 15, 10 12:21 AM
Hey Fishies! What do you think of Veronica Rivers: Portals to the Unknown ™? We value your reviews, as do many of the other fishies in our pond, so feel free to post your comments, opinions, hints and tips in this thread!

Remember, a lot of people who will be reading this thread will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

Happy gaming!

bfgImbrium

gamergirl675
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,156 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Veronica Rivers: Portals to the Unknown ™

[Post New]by gamergirl675 on Nov 15, 10 12:27 AM
Anyone else having problems running this? It downloaded and opened and then, get this! it had a user name already in the name box and I know that somehow it's mine because it's the name of the horse I used to have and no one EVER uses it but me... so how does a big fish game know who I am before I tell it??? AND it knows an OLD name that I haven't used since I became a member here or since I've had this computer at this address.

Oh got off the subject... so after I put in my current user name... and clicked play... I was confronted with a blank (dark) screen with music playing. But the only way I could do anything was to hit ctrl/alt/delete to exit out. Anyone else have the same problem?

bachlein
Guppy
Guppy
151 Posts

[Post New]by bachlein on Nov 15, 10 8:50 AM
It knew who I was too. Curious. I wonder if it because I had bought the other Veronica Rivers game???? Otherwise, it's a little creepy!!

njmathews
Seahorse
Seahorse
38 Posts

[Post New]by njmathews on Nov 15, 10 9:55 AM
gamergirl and bachlein: You two got me curious, so of course I had to quickly download the demo. I think I figured out what's going on. Its picking up your computer login name - it had me as "Administrat", truncating "Administrator". I never set up a profile, since I'm the only one to ever use my computer.

Now off to play the demo!

Edited on 11/15/2010 at 9:55:53 AM PST

Noralg
Starfish
Starfish
54 Posts

[Post New]by Noralg on Nov 15, 10 1:12 PM
I really like this game. Each portal (so far) has a different twist to it. The graphics are good even though some of the objects were hard to find, especially the silhouettes in the tent junk pile. The hints system took some getting used to, but they reload quickly and seem to be unlimited. I have the other Veronica Rivers game and will be buying this one. A nice DD!

ccostly
Squid
Squid
79 Posts

[Post New]by ccostly on Nov 15, 10 1:59 PM
I had my name already saved when I dl'd the trial! So I guess if you play one Veronica Rivers, you are already saved in the BF system! What a surprise to see my name!

Anyways, this game was decent overall. The scenes were a bit "blurry" if that makes any sense. The objects were hidden pretty well, I had to use the hint more than once in the hour trial. The pictures weren't real sharp quality. The story line was a bit strange. A SOS call makes her run all over the world, including outer space. That was really unrealistic. The games were the same over and over, so there wasn't too much thrill there. They were really easy, too.

In general, the music and graphics were soothing. It is a very good game to play if you don't want to think too much. I wasn't that impressed because some of the scenes for the ****'s were junk piles. Storyline wasn't much too keep me interested or even for a purchase though.

Jerripat
Herring
Herring
320 Posts

[Post New]by Jerripat on Nov 15, 10 6:24 PM
No walkthru - no buy (even at 2.99)

[Post New]by misspugsley on Nov 16, 10 11:30 AM
Jerripat wrote:No walkthru - no buy (even at 2.99)

Here's you walkthrough, Jerripat. Happy gaming!

[removed by moderator]

Sorry. I didn't realize that we couldn't post this info. But I guess if you do a web search, you could find one.

Edited on 11/16/2010 at 1:47:33 PM PST

Jerripat
Herring
Herring
320 Posts

[Post New]by Jerripat on Nov 17, 10 12:41 PM
Thanks, Misspugley< for trying. It's ok they removed the hyperlink for the walkthru, they just cost themselves a sale. If I buy a BFG game, I expect their walkthru (won't go hunting all all over the internet for it). So again!!! it's a no buy for me!

Eisteepfirsich
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,584 Posts

[Post New]by Eisteepfirsich on Nov 17, 10 2:35 PM
I have played the game twice before a few months. It was an easier hog (not really interactive). You don`t need a walkthrough for this game. If you get stuck sometimes, just click the "hint"-button. I recommend it for the "Weekly-Deal"-Price.

gimmegames
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,231 Posts

[Post New]by gimmegames on Nov 17, 10 6:14 PM
In case anyone's wondering, not everyone is having trouble with discounted games today. I purchased this one for 2.99 just now, and everything was as usual during checkout.

[Post New]by carolsansone on Nov 18, 10 4:40 PM
I'm convinced that I'm fodder for the funny farm! Either that, or totally stupid. I've tried playing the game and have repeated all steps for finding a portal and selecting objects, therein, and it keeps repeating each thing I do, and redo. I like a little more information as to what and how I'm to accomplish whatever it is I'm supposed to do. I started the "directions" twice and went the same old way. this game couldnt have been too hard to develop, since there are, to date, only 3 areas to go, "differences, same as and, aw heck, I forgot the third thing. Dont'cha hate senior moments?

Anyway, I like a little more play for my money and this definitely doesn't fit the bill.

beryltheperil
Guppy
Guppy
118 Posts

[Post New]by beryltheperil on Nov 19, 10 1:48 PM
it knew me too!
just started playing, looks good to me...for $2.99, I'm happy to figure it out for myself..

[Post New]by carolinachick220 on Nov 19, 10 4:09 PM
I played the demo and won't be buying, even for $2.99. It's just too simple; could go through the whole game in my sleep. Graphics are excellent and music is soothing, but it's all straight hidden objects with some puzzles that are way too easy. This would be a good game for a beginner - someone who's never ever played a hog. I had no technical difficulties; the game performed exactly as it was intended.

[Post New]by friedclam on Nov 19, 10 6:49 PM
My name was also identified at the start of the trial and not with my "Player" nick name, but with my full, formal name and I don't remember ever playing another of the Veronica Rivers games, although it's possible I may have trial'd one very long ago but still only using my nick name. So, perhaps BF is comparing game trials with customers' buying habits (?), which would be harmless enough, I guess.

The game trial loaded fine, with no glitches; the game moves at a slower pace. A walkthrough will not be necessary. The game is calm and peaceful. You will not be challenged or forced to rack your brain as to what to do next, just gently carried along. The hints are ready and waiting and nice that the glow of it shuts off so you can see how the hidden object looked prior to it being pointed out. The puzzles are easy and relaxing too. Fine game for the weekly special price. If you like to race through a game with some pressure, this game isn't for you.

Shastanna
Lobster
Lobster
97 Posts

[Post New]by Shastanna on Nov 20, 10 10:59 PM
Unfortunately I found this game repetitive and boring. You do the same things over and over again.

And I hate drawing symbols with my mouse, and you have to do that throughout the game. Also, you guys who have no love for the "Find the Difference" puzzles, there are a ton of them in this game.

[Post New]by tomwilcha on Nov 21, 10 5:08 PM
It knew my name as well. Thought is was a bit repetitive.

merivilan
Squid
Squid
69 Posts

[Post New]by merivilan on Nov 26, 10 7:46 AM
It knew my real name too, and I normally use funny names for all the games I play. That is so weird.
The game was ok. It took me about five hours and was a bit repetative but fun and rather easy which was nice. As I swap and change between an easy game like this and a harder one.
I kind of liked the ending and was happy it had one as I have had two games where I felt the endings were terrible. Redrum being one case. I thought I had gone wrong and had to go to the Redrum forum to make sure that it was the ending. The game Druid magic crashed on the final level each time I tried it so that was a disapointment. At least with this one there was an ending and a reward for sitting through the credits.
Really though it is only a six or seven out of ten for me.

Stevihj
Clownfish
Clownfish
507 Posts

[Post New]by Stevihj on Dec 29, 10 5:31 AM
The grapihcs are nice. The gameplay is straight HOG. There are some mini games such as spot the differences and swapping. The storyline is interesting. Sadly there is too much talking. You can skip it, but everytime I turned around, cut scene. The hints are infinite and I didn't find any penatly for random clicking.

This game is a B.

Meritre
Guppy
Guppy
177 Posts

[Post New]by Meritre on Jul 2, 11 11:47 PM
Nice graphics, and HOGs are so much more enjoyable with a comment for almost each item, making you feel like you're not just clicking on random objects. There are also different variations on the HOG. So although I generally prefer there to be more mini-games, I really quite enjoyed this.

The biggest fault is the hint system. Maybe my eyes are getting old, but although it really shows off what you're looking for, it's only good if you're not looking at the wrong part of the screen to start with. Those hints don't last for very long, and heaven forbid it's something small or partially off-screen. One item, I used 5 hints to find before I finally saw where they were doing it.

This is something I might buy as a deal, but given how much I enjoyed it, it's probably absolutely fabulous for pure HOG lovers.

Go to: