bfgImbrium
Manatee
Manatee
4,236 Posts

Your Comments and Reviews for Tulula: Legend of a Volcano

[Post New]by bfgImbrium on Nov 16, 10 12:10 AM
Hey Fishies! What do you think of Tulula: Legend of a Volcano? We value your reviews, as do many of the other fishies in our pond, so feel free to post your comments, opinions, hints and tips in this thread!

Remember, a lot of people who will be reading this thread will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

Happy gaming!

bfgImbrium

laurimd
Guppy
Guppy
120 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Tulula: Legend of a Volcano

[Post New]by laurimd on Nov 16, 10 12:27 AM
I am just downloading the trial version now, but I LOVE the colors in this one for a change! I'm pretty sure this is a buy for me. I'll write again when I have played the game...

Edited on 11/16/2010 at 12:29:06 AM PST

grabbinbugs
Minnow
Minnow
225 Posts

[Post New]by grabbinbugs on Nov 16, 10 12:38 AM
This would be a delightful game for children. Beautiful graphics, pleasant music and looks like a halfway decent story. As an adult though, the game is just a bit too juvenile for me to continue past 10 mins of the demo.

nomatt
Herring
Herring
377 Posts

[Post New]by nomatt on Nov 16, 10 12:43 AM
I know some people like this game but the only positive thing in it for me was the fact that I can delete it. Every part of it just irritates. 16 minutes and it's gone.

[Post New]by WiccanWoman530 on Nov 16, 10 12:52 AM
YUCK. Yes this comes off as a kids game, with FROG elements and lots of pictures of the items. I wouldn't even really call it a HOG...and it was TOO bright, it hurt my eyes and was starting to give me a headache!

NO buy for me.

DragonLadyOz
Shark
Shark
12,214 Posts

[Post New]by DragonLadyOz on Nov 16, 10 12:53 AM
grabbinbugs wrote:This would be a delightful game for children. Beautiful graphics, pleasant music and looks like a halfway decent story. As an adult though, the game is just a bit too juvenile for me to continue past 10 mins of the demo.

I also was of the same mind when I trialled this from the developer's site.....however, if you get past the first few tasks that really only part of the "tutorial", you will find added complexity, humour and fun beyond a 10 minute trial. And you can't judge a game (book) by its graphics (cover).
For those who don't enjoy "dark and eerie" games or those who want a bit of fun I would recommend you give this game a go - beyond the first 30 minutes and see as to whether you have been enjoying yourself or not.
OK a lot of "hand-holding" for experienced gamers, but, hey, sometimes we need some fun and enjoyment without added complications.
And it may fill that extra spot you have on your punchcard come the end of the month!!!
Mind you, I just can't wait for MCF7!!

Gamesetter_
Lobster
Lobster
94 Posts

[Post New]by Gamesetter_ on Nov 16, 10 12:53 AM
I already played the game (from developer) and loved it.
The friendly colors, the funny and friendly characters are a wonderful change to all this dark/shadowed/mystic/magical/dark/dark/dark games we saw in the last months.

It is kind of a strange world, nearly nothing looks like we are used to be, but it is so creative, so wonderful, that I couldn't stop smiling.

You must be able to engage on this adventure as it is different, not what we are used to be. But the "prize", the smile, the joy is worth the experience in my opinion.

It is a very atmospheric game, even the sounds fits exactly and is far off what we here in other games (where it seems to be one and the same sound in nearly every day these games).

For me one of the best games as my efforts to save Tulula paid back in happiness, joy, just a wonderful feeling, that last after finishing.

Edited on 11/16/2010 at 12:55:09 AM PST

vickie39
Seahorse
Seahorse
36 Posts

[Post New]by vickie39 on Nov 16, 10 12:58 AM
HMMMMM

ember89
Flounder
Flounder
2,103 Posts

[Post New]by ember89 on Nov 16, 10 1:19 AM
i'm DL'ing now and can't wait to give this one a whirl!

from the comments tossed around by those who beta'ed this game and those who own it already, the colors and fun-time atmosphere reflected in the game shots... i think this will be a really cute game that i may be able to share with my niece!

my first thought was for the volcano sisters and just austin knew what gift to bring to keep them from exploding the volcano and ruining the luau... so i think i'll have that on the brain as i open this one up!

reflections on the game itself to follow...

sassylassie
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,107 Posts

[Post New]by sassylassie on Nov 16, 10 1:30 AM
I was going to do the same thing as Casualgran and buy it from the dev's site but good thing I waited. Had other games going on. This is a buy for me also cause it does look really fun to play. Happy gaming!

sinshack
Flounder
Flounder
2,150 Posts

[Post New]by sinshack on Nov 16, 10 2:12 AM
I understand what you mean, Goofyduck77. I think this is going to be one of those games that you either love or hate. For me, I think I will enojy playing a "light" game for a change.

I think it's charming - I can't resist a game that starts out "Enter your glorious name."

The game seems simple, and the tutorial (which took me a bit over 10 minutes) is stong on handholding, so I kind of expected that to contine during the regular game. Then I had to THINK - imagine that at 4:30 in the morning! No, it's not RTR, but it's not meant to be. But you do need to do a bit of figuring out stuff, and there is a lot of humor (the magic bird hasn't been fed for so long it looks like a "sad supermodel") and the objects you need to find aren't all in your face - some are hidden in plain sight, and sometimes you need to figure out another puzzle to get at them.

Overall, I think this is a good game to try for yourself. As DragonLadyOz said, give it at least a half hour so you are beyond the tutorial and into actual game play for a few scenes. I know a lot of people just simply don't like the lighter games, but this one could pleasantly surprise you.

Just enter your "glorius name" and give it a whirl.

shadowfax44
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
21,885 Posts

[Post New]by shadowfax44 on Nov 16, 10 2:32 AM
I had played for about 10 or 15 minutes and was thinking "hmmm, a kids game", but then I realized I couldn't stop playing... It is really an entertaining little game.

It does give you a lot of guidance or "hand-holding" at times, but there are also times you have to figure things out for yourself. I am really enjoying this and almost can't believe it! It's a well designed game with a lot of little interactive things to do and it actually appears that there is going to be a decent length to it.

You have to stick it out through the initial tutorial with the shaman which leads you to believe that the entire game is going to be this lame, but it really does get better as soon as you get to the map and start traveling about to complete the tasks.

If you give it a try, be sure to play past the first 15 or 20 minute mark to get a true feel for the game - it is bright and quite delightful!!

ETA: There are no object lists per se, it is often more like the Treasure Seekers games where, after you click on a scene object and your cursor changes to gears, it will open a set of "circle objects" to find.

Edited on 11/16/2010 at 2:39:03 AM PST

cherbtoo
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
22,629 Posts

[Post New]by cherbtoo on Nov 16, 10 2:52 AM
Er excuse me but can anybody tell me where the last hour went as it seems to have vanished in the blink of an eye .

This is just the sort of game you should play inbetween your Phantom of the Opera, Sherlock Holmes and Haunted Halls type games (which I adore) as variety is the spice of life and it 'refreshes' your brain to play something light and cheerful for a change.

Childish? I don't care, if you add the numbers making up my age together I am 9 and this 9 year old is going to buy it and then, when the 24th November comes around, my brain will be rested and up to tackling the fiendish puzzles that we are sure to encounter in the 13th Skull.

Cherb

firebird40
Starfish
Starfish
57 Posts

[Post New]by firebird40 on Nov 16, 10 3:02 AM
I think i am with goofyduck on this one. Its a sweet, happy game, and could be great as a break from dark/mystical etc, or for kids ( or the young at heart )That said, there wasn't a list in the usual sense of what you needed to find, just fragmented pictures, and various elements that needed putting together.

I played for about 45 minutes, and while its a no buy for me, I think its great that BFG is offering some different types of hidden object games. So, happy gaming to those enjoying this one

samisgram
Lobster
Lobster
88 Posts

[Post New]by samisgram on Nov 16, 10 3:07 AM
I think it's cute. Not a buy for me, but definitely a fun, cute game.

Pinky559
Guppy
Guppy
103 Posts

[Post New]by Pinky559 on Nov 16, 10 3:38 AM
WHAT?

doctorgood
Clownfish
Clownfish
589 Posts

[Post New]by doctorgood on Nov 16, 10 4:25 AM
Give this game a chance!!! I downloaded the trial and played a 1/2 hr. and did not like it at all! What a dumb kids game (with really great colorful graphics) was my first impression! I came here to read the reviews and at the time Casualgran had the only informative one available. When I read it I thought "the poor woman has slipped a cog or something"! A few hours later I came back here, reread Casualgrans post and the others that had posted by this time. When I realized that casualgran,Shadowfax44 and Cherbtoo all were saying the same thing I knew ol' Doc was doin' something wrong!! I went back in, finished the trial and thoroughly enjoyed it! Do not pass this game up on first impressions!!! This game rates.
Dr.good
P.s. don't shoot me Casualgran,I should have known better! You haven't been wrong yet!

[Post New]by Coronagold on Nov 16, 10 4:43 AM
I had to put down my stack of Highlights magazines and pencil to wrap myself in this game!

doctorgood
Clownfish
Clownfish
589 Posts

[Post New]by doctorgood on Nov 16, 10 4:53 AM
Coronagold wrote:I had to put down my stack of Highlights magazines and pencil to wrap myself in this game!

just don't run with those scissors, you'll poke your eye out!
Dr.good

gimmegames
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,231 Posts

[Post New]by gimmegames on Nov 16, 10 4:57 AM
I played the hour demo. The graphics and sound environment are beautiful. I love the tropical and tribal stuff.

The gameplay... the word that came to my mind is "linear". Very often it's fed to you one task at a time. You do a lot of mousing around looking for changes in the cursor, but not much roaming around. I was quite a ways thru the demo before coming to the first list of hidden objects to find - it's a scene with a ghost.

I'm pretty sure I'll end up buying this game. The main reason I'm not snapping it up immediately is I'm still so hooked on farming tm's (Farm Craft 2 at the moment), and now Faunasphere, thanks to that 3 eggs for 3 card punches promotion a short while back. - So many games, and only 24 hours in a day ...

Edited on 11/16/2010 at 8:17:54 AM PST

Go to: