bfgImbrium
Manatee
Manatee
4,236 Posts

Your Comments and Reviews for Dragon Portals

[Post New]by bfgImbrium on Nov 17, 10 12:24 AM
Hey Fishies! What do you think of Dragon Portals? We value your reviews, as do many of the other fishies in our pond, so feel free to post your comments, opinions, hints and tips in this thread!

Remember, a lot of people who will be reading this thread will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

Happy gaming!

bfgImbrium

Tikatoy
Minnow
Minnow
269 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Dragon Portals

[Post New]by Tikatoy on Jul 6, 11 10:25 AM
I got this as a DD and finished the main game mode (Adventure) last night. I haven't really played the other two modes, but I'd imagine the gameplay would be the same.

This is a Match 3 where instead of swapping tiles, you click on an orb to drop it such that it makes a match in one of two ways: the dropped orb falls and forms a group of 3 or more orbs of the same color, or the orbs on either side of the dropped ball close the gap and form a group of the same color.

While this sounds simpler than a regular Match 3, it's actually a bit more challenging because you have to make matches quickly to keep your dragons aloft. They descend naturally with time, and making matches gives them lift. When the dragons crash, the level ends. Most of the levels after the first two islands required multiple attempts.

There are several power ups you gain as you progress through the game. You can use 1 from each of 3 categories per level. These make a big difference as to how the levels play, and introduce some level of strategy to the game. E.g. there's a passive power up that reduces the colors of pieces for a level (so it's easier to make matches), but your dragons descend faster.

You get a cute (optional) mini-game every few levels where you try to take pictures of the dragons, with well-taken photos scoring more stars.

This was surprisingly fun/challenging, although I thought the gameplay wasn't very deep. Perhaps others were able to pick a combination of power ups that required more strategy? I just went with Butterflies, Hand of God and either Simplicity or the one that drops an extra orb when you make a match, depending on how many dragons were in the level.

Overall, it was lots of fun and well worth the DD price.

Go to: