bfgImbrium
Manatee
Manatee
4,236 Posts

Your Comments and Reviews for Luxor: 5th Passage

[Post New]by bfgImbrium on Nov 19, 10 12:35 AM
Hey Fishies! What do you think of Luxor: 5th Passage? We value your reviews, as do many of the other fishies in our pond, so feel free to post your comments, opinions, hints and tips in this thread!

Remember, a lot of people who will be reading this thread will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

Happy gaming!

bfgImbrium

doctorgood
Clownfish
Clownfish
589 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Luxor: 5th Passage

[Post New]by doctorgood on Nov 19, 10 2:47 AM
First let me just say, I don't like marble popper games!!! ( But...based on Goofyducks review I decided to give it a try.) Ya' got me Goofyduck! It's quite an enjoyable game with a ton of variations as far as game play. Goofyduck, if I was I'd put you on the payroll to write informative,in depth and unbiased reviews.
Excellent job/ great game! (you should at least get a commission on my sale!) Wouldn't have happened without ya'!
Have a good un'
Dr.good

sandybottom
Minnow
Minnow
225 Posts

[Post New]by sandybottom on Nov 19, 10 5:31 AM
Am glad to see that 5th Passage is compatible w/Win 7. I so enjoyed Atlantis: Sky Patrol but it won't play on my newer computer (hate even opening the slow, older computer). 5th Passage does play similiar to Atlantis so I enjoyed it right off. Although, I want a larger 'net' to catch the falling coins, etc. That aspect would be my negative comment -- I don't appreciate having to whir my mouse across the bottom the screen (in any game & found that requirement in other games lately). Players of Ancient Quest of Saqqarah will enjoy the scenes and storyline references -- good mixture of both older games. Definitely a game to keep the mind busy and if you're into challenging yourself for better scores... wow... this game will become obsessive.

shadowfax44
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
21,885 Posts

[Post New]by shadowfax44 on Nov 19, 10 5:32 AM
Wow... a little like being on a deserted island, isn't it goofy and doctorgood?? I just dropped by to see if you two were lonesome or anything....

See ya in the funnies... er, I mean the forums!

shadowfax

peglegann
Stingray
Stingray
5,174 Posts

[Post New]by peglegann on Nov 19, 10 6:16 AM
Hey all. Has everyone moved to a tropical island somewhere without telling ME
I have had the puter turned off for 6 hours doing housework
Thank you Goofyduck.
I will now go and DL this game. Cannot promise to buy but... am with Dr. Good on the fact your reviews are awesome. Do you do undercover work for and reel us all in? LOL
I am interested to see if this game would possibly be a chill out to the famous HOG's that I like. Have fun all.

[Post New]by satexasgirl on Nov 19, 10 6:37 AM
I don't know that I will buy simply because there are so many other games. I like the number of options you have not only the difficulty of levels but also (3,I think) different types People's choice, adventure, and one other. I almost finshed stage three in the adventure game. I reluctantly tried medium level of difficulty. I say that because my hand-eye coordination is terrible and in past marble poper games I only make it through a few levels the second stage before I start losing lives. I was surprised at at how far I got. It's a great game, truly. You can also earn new rankings and acheivements/trophies as you progress through the game. Give it a shot.
Happy Friday, Y'all.

Gieyo
Clownfish
Clownfish
766 Posts

[Post New]by Gieyo on Nov 19, 10 6:43 AM
Sorry if I sound less enthusiastic than goofyduck and doctorgood. This for me is the worst of the whole Luxor series (including the Luxor Adventure one, which I thought was passable but not really "Luxor" at all).

I played 20 minutes of the trial in "hard". So far, not very hard at all: I didn't have goofyduck's problem with the trail, as -at least in some levels- before the snake comes you see a twinkle where the path will ran through.

The music is quite similar to other Luxors, which is ok as it give a sense of continuity to the series, but I thought it sounded less crisp. Something similar iwth graphs, which are very 3D but somehow lack (IMHO) sophistication in their design. Besides, some of the artwork (which is nice) is not even original as it has been already featured in past Luxors ("Anubis standing with cualdrons while looking down", anyone?)

I miss the old upgrades: Some were still here (like Scorpion), but others are missing. And after 3 stages no chance to customize your wings or to upgrade the power of your powerups as in past editions.

Now you get trophies for different achievements apart from higher ranks. So far, some of the trophies seem far too easy to achieve (in level one stage 1 I already got 3 golden trophies!). And the graphs are IMHO sort of blunt (sorry) despite they are not even animated.

The bonus stage -so far too- is repetitive and not very challenging: You have a series of fast running snakes which you throw daggers at. If you manage to eliminate spheres in order to make combos you get extra points... but if you stand and shoot like crazy at any ball you also get points ("just" 150 per sphere). In the first bonus level I was so taken by surprise I actually left a couple of snakes go away. Nothing happened (no penalization, no need to try again). I prefer the puzzles & river crossings, & sky shootings & tower menaces of past Luxors by far. At least there was excitement and challenge (it got very frantic)

I am a huge Luxor fan and have bought all except one of the games. I was very excited when I saw this one was out. I may go back to the trial later and see if it gets better, but right now I feel sort of diappointed.

It is still a good game and if you like shooters (or are willing to try one) this is a good choice. It is also aesthetically nice.
But I was expecting something better and I think despite not being 3D, the older Luxors were superior.

I'd give it a 6/10

rainice
Minnow
Minnow
293 Posts

[Post New]by rainice on Nov 19, 10 8:00 AM
This is a great game for those who like this style. The graphics are beautiful and the path of the balls is intertwined into the scene rather than having a clearly marked path. You chose the skill level you would like to play at so there's something for everyone. The music is appropriate to the game and doesn't become over bearing or irritating. There are frequent rewards given through out and points accumulate very quickly. I had around 2 million by the time the hour was up and I am not a strong player by any means. Because I limit myself to the number of games I buy and because there are other genres I prefer this game is not a buy for me at the regular price. It will definitely be a contender though if it is ever a DD.

mgpaquin
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
454 Posts

[Post New]by mgpaquin on Nov 19, 10 8:01 AM
I don't usually ever play these games, but based on the reviews I read I gave it a try. What a surprise! I enjoyed it! I've got a coupon I have to use by the end of November and I think I'll use it on this. I only played the easy level, but I may use this game as a "trainer" to get used to the more difficult levels. If you haven't tried one of these games before, or if you think you don't like them, give this one a try and you might be as pleasantly surprised as I was.

doctorgood
Clownfish
Clownfish
589 Posts

[Post New]by doctorgood on Nov 19, 10 9:35 AM
Gieyo wrote:Sorry if I sound less enthusiastic than goofyduck and doctorgood. This for me is the worst of the whole Luxor series (including the Luxor Adventure one, which I thought was passable but not really "Luxor" at all).

In all honesty,this is the first Luxor game I have ever tried so I'm very appreciative of the advice of an expert player. If you played it in "hard" mode and found it easy I am in awe!!! Thanks for the insight into the other games in this series.
Dr.good

doctorgood
Clownfish
Clownfish
589 Posts

[Post New]by doctorgood on Nov 19, 10 9:44 AM
shadowfax44 wrote:Wow... a little like being on a deserted island, isn't it goofy and doctorgood?? I just dropped by to see if you two were lonesome or anything....

See ya in the funnies... er, I mean the forums!

shadowfax

Don't ya' really mean in the tent!
Dr.good
p.s. what a wonderful game today!

doctorgood
Clownfish
Clownfish
589 Posts

[Post New]by doctorgood on Nov 19, 10 9:50 AM
mgpaquin wrote:I don't usually ever play these games, but based on the reviews I read I gave it a try. What a surprise! I enjoyed it! I've got a coupon I have to use by the end of November and I think I'll use it on this. I only played the easy level, but I may use this game as a "trainer" to get used to the more difficult levels. If you haven't tried one of these games before, or if you think you don't like them, give this one a try and you might be as pleasantly surprised as I was.

Chalk up another sale for Goofyduck!.........Glad you liked it mqpaquin, I didn't think I liked 'em either!!
Dr.good

Silbee
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
17 Posts

[Post New]by Silbee on Nov 19, 10 10:18 AM
The 'LUXOR' franchise is by far my favourite of the marble shooter games, and this one doesn't disappoint.

I bought it right off the bat without a trial even.

Well done to this games developers. Here's looking forward to the next one: - )

ecblisa
Stingray
Stingray
5,078 Posts

[Post New]by ecblisa on Nov 19, 10 11:32 AM
I would buy this game just to see the beautiful graphics. I've played two of the earlier Luxor games, and I only recall two locations so far that have been used before (but I think even those were reworked). As a person with stiff arthritic hands, I appreciate the "easy" version, even though it is really easy. At least I don't feel like I won't be able to finish the game. I'll up the difficulty once I've finished one game.

I can see where some of the changes might be a disappointment to someone who particularly liked some earlier features, but in my experience new features that disappoint at first can grow on you.

My special review for us older persons who have to use experience and guile instead of speed and strength: The various difficulty levels are great; colors are bright and easy to distinguish; and accuracy counts more than speed. If you could ever love a marble popper this might be it.

phatkhat
Stingray
Stingray
5,001 Posts

[Post New]by phatkhat on Nov 19, 10 11:37 AM
Well. I played the first two stages on easy. I like to play through on each difficulty level, learning the levels and working my way up, so to speak. I'm a real Luxor fanatic - the only one I didn't buy way Luxor Adventures and the Luxor Mahjongg.

To me, when they got into the more "gimmicky" games, my pleasure in playing went downhill. For me, this may be the best one since Amun Rising, because it plays very fast. I had a lot of issues with Luxor 2, 3, and 4, with choppy play, slow levels, and 4 was by far the worst, with it hanging on the scenes where you were supposed to chase the baddie with the jar.

Having said that, I could do without the fancy graphics in favor of the clearcut look of Luxor and Amun. AND the excellent puzzle layouts. This one follows in the vein of 2,3 and 4 with the gorgeous graphics and lots of explosions and sparkles.

I do NOT like trying to catch all the falling stars. The first two games, you could catch everything if you were quick, LOL. I don't really care about the points so much - my thing is to catch the coins to gain more lives for the harder levels. I never buy the fancy shooters, marble sets, etc. I just don't care about them. I also do not like the theatrics of the "doors" opening and closing, which just wastes time.

My favorite powerups are old ones: Lightning, from the original, and the Scorpion, from Amun. Without lightning, Dunno how I'd get through Khufu, LOL. I see this one still has the bonus levels with the daggers, which I don't really like. I have not yet gotten the dagger powerup, which I also don't like, and maybe they dropped it.

So, my verdict is that I will buy this one. But I still think the first two, 2D, sparkle-less plain jane ones were by far the best ones. I do recognize some of the layouts being reused here, and had great hopes when I saw a level called "Weighing of the Heart", but it wasn't like the one in Amun at all.

Hey, developers, bells and whistles do not a good game make! It's the gameplay, the puzzles, the diabolical difficulty. Khufu's Revenge has got to be one of the best marble popper levels ever. The first time I played Luxor, it took me a good two weeks to defeat it on the first difficulty level! (Of course, it was also my first MP game.) And yep, I could go through 40 or 50 lives to finish off Set at the end!

Gieyo
Clownfish
Clownfish
766 Posts

[Post New]by Gieyo on Nov 19, 10 2:07 PM
goofyduck77 wrote: I have one, but evidently it is "old" because this one ran circles around it, It is good to know there are others out there to try and see if they are as fun as this one is.

(And I agree - wish it was easier to grab all the gems, treasures, and coins. But it was fun trying )

Yep, I also own the oldies and they look far less sophisticated than this one, but I loved the humor in them, like the Egyptian ladies sliding down the pyramid!!

If you didn't try some of the later ones (but as phatkhat mentions look out for the Luxor Adventures and Mahjong -had forgotten the Mahjong one!- as there is not much shooting to do) you may want to demo them. Some of them are pretty cool (and they have a storyline, something I like and that was not there in the oldies)

Gieyo
Clownfish
Clownfish
766 Posts

[Post New]by Gieyo on Nov 19, 10 2:16 PM
doctorgood wrote:
In all honesty,this is the first Luxor game I have ever tried so I'm very appreciative of the advice of an expert player. If you played it in "hard" mode and found it easy I am in awe!!! Thanks for the insight into the other games in this series.
Dr.good

I'm happy your hidden shooter finally found a game to make him come out

As for my shooting skills, I bet you will be as trained when you get to the end of the game. If this Luxor follows the past editions, the last levels (and there are many) can be overwhelming.

So glad you are enjoying the game!

[Post New]by daisyduck352 on Nov 19, 10 3:53 PM
I have all the Luxor games and this one is the best. I still play the orginal one and never get sick of it. When I get tired of the IHOG's and HOG's, I go back to playing Luxor. For the ones that have never tried this marble popper, you should give it a try.

Maven
Clownfish
Clownfish
944 Posts

[Post New]by Maven on Nov 19, 10 4:41 PM
Luxor 5 has more colored balls than a Chuck E. Cheese. And the fun is not only in targeting them accurately, but in catching the rewards that fall after a particularly good shot. The sound effects are a little different in this version, though some of the background music and a couple of the playing fields have been recycled from earlier Luxor games. Not to worry. If you like ball shooters, this game will please.

There are 100 levels and a choice of difficulty options. If you're into high score, collecting coins, or just hearing a lot of explosions on your screen (and after a hard day at work, who wouldn't be?) Luxor 5 will get your palm sweating and wish you'd paid attention to the lesson on "angles" in high school geometry.

(I got to Level 4-6/medium difficulty in the one-hour demo.)

QuietLurker
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,497 Posts

[Post New]by QuietLurker on Nov 19, 10 4:57 PM
SO good to get a good shooter. I also love the Zumas but on the last one I couldn't beat the third boss so it was a short game for me.

Haven't played this very far yet, but coming out to buy!

Go to: