gimmegames
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,231 Posts

Margrave Manor 2: The Lost Ship - DD for 11/20/2010 - Comments and Reviews

[Post New]by gimmegames on Nov 20, 10 4:20 AM
I just finished playing the demo hour. Seems to be a nice game for 3 bucks. I like the voice acting and the music. Straight HOG, and not too hard so far with the hints, which I used a couple times.

The comments I happened to read on the forum before playing, said that this game is long and boring. And that it keeps asking for the same items in scene after scene. I can see what they mean. At least I didn't see any repeated scenes. I think someone also mentioned that the story ending wasn't worth the tedium of getting to it.

So I'm guessing it's worth going into it with the thought of not playing it in one sitting? Since it's a straight HOG, I think one could leave and come back to it a week later okay - unlike some of the IHOG's where you have to remember where stuff is to go back to it.

Anyway, I'm buying this one.

Edited on 11/20/2010 at 4:23:00 AM PST

laeddie
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,053 Posts

Re:Margrave Manor 2: The Lost Ship - DD for 11/20/2010 - Comments and Reviews

[Post New]by laeddie on Nov 20, 10 5:19 AM
You are right on my friend. I am an avid TM player and don't play too many HOGS but this one I tried,bought and finished. If you prefer "easier" HOGS you should like this one. I also am a player who comes and goes with HOGS and this was perfect for that. Well worth the money.

Akenta
Guppy
Guppy
121 Posts

[Post New]by Akenta on Nov 20, 10 6:25 AM
After seeing all the negative comments here, I was a little worried, but a H O DD is worth an hour of my time to form my own opinion.

During that hour I'm still only at the end of chapter 2, and that's randomly clicking, using hints, and skipping the story. If there are 20 chapters, then definitely a game will not be finished in a few hours.

Some other thoughts about the game:

Cannot change the cursor (didn't hurt the game)
No timer
Can change the brightness (took me a few tries to get it to where I liked it)
Not all items that needed to be found were displayed at once (but could randomly click on an item and if close to being shown would accept)
Had bugs crawling around in some of the scenes (I could really do without some of these)
mini puzzles I saw: gem puzzle (not sure if more than one solution); find the differences (wasn't too hard the ones I got to - not sure about random clicking, since I didn't need that); a couple of interactive/find a piece to move on (not too hard); put puzzle together. I think these can be skipped, but forgot to check.
Start with 2 hints, but given a new hint every 3 minutes

For a DD going to be hard for me to pass on (but now I have to try the first game and see if I'd want that one too).

Edited on 11/20/2010 at 6:25:49 AM PST

joyce2121
Manatee
Manatee
4,490 Posts

[Post New]by joyce2121 on Nov 20, 10 9:22 AM
Great reviews you three above me.

Sure buy for me at DD price. Don't know how I missed it when released.
I would have paid full price.

Wish every game had a brightness control. Loved that feature.
Enjoying voices, always a plus. I think the graphics are great.
No timer, yea. Limited hint system keeps me patient. Some items
very cleverly hidden. Enjoying some of the effects. While on deck,
it rains, then stops and rains again; much more interesting than
usual constant rain. Yes, some of the objects are repeated in
different scenes, but, I've found that in other games, so not
too big a deal for me.

I love IHOG/Adventures, but sometimes, enjoy taking a break
with such a well-done HOG with mini-games. Have only finished
demo; if I change my opinion later, I will come back.

Thanks BFG, this is a good one for me.

[Post New]by BarbaraFish on Nov 20, 10 9:52 AM
I'm gonna buy too. I read the negative comments and think the rebuild must have fixed many of the mentioned issues. I did have a 3-5 second delay during some screens on a brand new gaming computer, but it didn't bother me knowing to expect it.

I do remember having lots of trouble with the first Margrave - playing on a different computer but not an old one. We replace computers every 2 years or so. I imagine that's why i never tried this one.

It seems like a nice way to spend a few hours for only $3.

Athena99
Guppy
Guppy
169 Posts

[Post New]by Athena99 on Nov 20, 10 6:09 PM
I wouldn't recommend this for a small screen. I think that finding some of the objects would be too frustrating. As it was I had a few problems finding some items on a large screen as they were rather blurred into the background. But that just made the search a little more challenging instead of just a click fest. I liked the vocal dialogue, though I did find it annoyingly slow between "he said, she said". Fortunately, one can click the screen and advance the dialogue at one's own pace. I particularly enjoyed the "special effects", i.e. the rain when on deck and the bugs too. This lent to the overall spooky and decrepit atmosphere. Yes the objects were repetitive, but that didn't make it any easier as they weren't always the same size or angle of view (as with, for example the propeller). For a straightforward hidden object game I quite enjoyed. Well worth the $2.99.

Jadakiss2000
Minnow
Minnow
209 Posts

[Post New]by Jadakiss2000 on Nov 20, 10 8:49 PM
I'm definitely going to buy. This must mean that Margrave Manor: Curse of the Severed Heart is about to come out. I can't wait for that one. I beta'd it and it left me hanging in suspense. Ok. Off to buy this one. Only have 10 minutes before midnight.

[Post New]by Old_Man_River on Sep 10, 11 11:17 PM
I slogged my way through Margrave Manor which was repetitive, boring , and long.
his seems like an improvement. Voice overs have been added, mini games have been added, and for 3 bucks I can't refuse. Doesn't seem like a bad game for the money.

[Post New]by Old_Man_River on Sep 10, 11 11:18 PM
I slogged my way through Margrave Manor which was repetitive, boring , and long.
his seems like an improvement. Voice overs have been added, mini games have been added, and for 3 bucks I can't refuse. Doesn't seem like a bad game for the money.

[Post New]by Old_Man_River on Sep 10, 11 11:20 PM

loonylimey
Clownfish
Clownfish
522 Posts

[Post New]by loonylimey on Sep 16, 11 9:47 PM
Good old school HOG. worth three bucks for sure. Good value for replay or to go back to from timt to time.

Go to: