cherbtoo
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
22,629 Posts

Your Comments and Reviews for Fiction Fixers: The Curse of OZ

[Post New]by cherbtoo on Nov 21, 10 2:38 AM
When I first saw the screenshots for this game I thought "oh no another dark one where the objects are going to be hard to see" but it turned out that the H0 scenes were quite clear and I didn't need any hints although I did use one just to try it and it immediately showed me the object and not just the area.

I played on the easy setting because of the darkness of the graphics and this gives you sparkles for the relevant areas. There is a map which shows you where you are, where there are H0 scenes and where there are puzzles but it doesn't take you to that area so you have to backtrack. What I didn't like was the fact that as I passed along the yellow brick road the first time I could see that there were things I was going to need but it wouldn't let me pick them up until I was told to find them. I don't know if it you collect them in the harder version because I used up all my demo time before I thought of doing that .

I did find it a little bit strange that one minute you were the Fiction Fixer who had Dorothy, the Lion, Tinman and Scarecrow to help you and the next you were talking as though you were actually Dorothy but you get used to it.

Will I buy it? ... yes but I might wait until BFG change their "visually pleasing" prices.

Cherb

Edited on 11/21/2010 at 9:33:13 AM PST

amj0963
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,544 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Fiction Fixers: The Curse of OZ

[Post New]by amj0963 on Nov 21, 10 2:49 AM
i really like the game, of course i love the wizard of oz. i thought the voices were excellent, the characters are cute, quirky and funny. i just wish we could have seen some munchkins in the beginning, hopefully there will be some as they are cute. i find this game very enjoyable, not a lot of dialogue which is good, there are some pieces that you have to find to put together (they are fragments) and the pieces will light up in the bottom of your screen if you are in a scene where they are located.

this is going to be a buy for me.

i give it 3 1/2 (if the munchkins would have been there to greet us i would have given it 4 1/2 )

katejoe999
Herring
Herring
308 Posts

[Post New]by katejoe999 on Nov 21, 10 3:17 AM
I bought the game largely cos I loved the first one so much.
This one is different, there are much more hidden object scenes which are a little too junk pile for me. And the objects are the same objects in every scene. The game has some interesting twists, such as the contstructing where you find parts of an object you need. The annoying aspect of this is I would be going past stuff and was not able to pick it up until the game told me to.
You also have members on your team - Tinman, Scarecrow etc who have special powers though I found them fairly childish. I thought the Sherlock Holmes game did the powers thing so much better. And its pretty gloomy.
I'm a little worried abut length - I only have 1 chapter left and I've been playing just under 2 hours in advanced mode.
If that all sounds negative it is a good enough game, great characters, good graphics and I've enjoyed it but I rate the first one (Alice in Wonderland) much much higher.

Edited on 11/21/2010 at 3:19:40 AM PST

amj0963
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,544 Posts

[Post New]by amj0963 on Nov 21, 10 3:57 AM
bump

bella81762
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
24,424 Posts

[Post New]by bella81762 on Nov 21, 10 4:47 AM
well sadly, i am done allready, while the graphics are beautiful and tho hog scenes are nice, the puzzles are seriously lacking any challenge and the game was done in less then a3 hours..with demo time its about 2 hour 45 minutes.....it does not measure up at all to the 1st one. you basically play the story...nothing out of place or wrong that you have to fix like the 1st one....no where near the amount of different areas to visit...a lot of going back to old areas to do hog scenes. i would wait for 6.99..or even better dd

[Post New]by alicekramden on Nov 21, 10 4:54 AM
Well, disappointed here! Game will not change to window mode & I dislike playing fullscreen. When I click to change, I get a message stating that I need a higher resolution than 1280 x 720 and either 16 or 32 bit color. Both of these requirements are satisfied as my resolution is 1280 x 1024 with 32 bit.

Bummer...

prpldva
Zebrafish
Zebrafish
48,548 Posts

[Post New]by prpldva on Nov 21, 10 4:56 AM
alicekramden wrote:Well, disappointed here! Game will not change to window mode & I dislike playing fullscreen. When I click to change, I get a message stating that I need a higher resolution than 1280 x 720 and either 16 or 32 bit color. Both of these requirements are satisfied as my resolution is 1280 x 1024 with 32 bit.

Bummer...
Try going to the highest resolution possible for your computer....

krissywillow
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,084 Posts

[Post New]by krissywillow on Nov 21, 10 5:55 AM
Looked at screen shots and watched movie clip, then came to read reviews. Doesn't sound like something I will buy.

1. I hated the voiceovers I heard on the clip so if that's an indication of the game, I'll hate it. Does anyone know if they can be turned off? I'm tending to doubt it by the looks of it.

2. Reviews say game is easy.

3. Reviews say game is short.

4. Reviews say you find the same objects over and over.

The graphics look nice but sort of "twisted" and not in a good way, sort of out of proportion or something but maybe that's just the few screenshots.

Something I might look at out of curiousity but won't buy.

hannah57
Clownfish
Clownfish
760 Posts

[Post New]by hannah57 on Nov 21, 10 6:18 AM
As you all must know by now, I hote HOGs. I am a patient person and I will wait, even it takes all winter for an adventure game. I know I could go to the store and buy one but I really don't want to because I like BF.

[Post New]by LapTopDancerr on Nov 21, 10 6:48 AM
The demo ran out just when Dorothy meets up with the Tin Man. I didn't use any hints and played as if I already bought it (didn't rush through). Took my time because the graphics/story was great. So with that in mind, this will be maybe a 2 1/2 or 3 hour game for me. Definitely not longer than that. That's disappointing....the graphics, sound, story etc is very well done. Wish it was at least a 4 hour game. Will wait for a sale to buy (like a Thanksgiving Sale!)

This is a duplicate response....This was posted somewhere else, and then I saw a review thread.

annita33
Narwhal
Narwhal
34,725 Posts

[Post New]by annita33 on Nov 21, 10 7:42 AM
The first Fiction Fixers was way better I totally agree with Amj I would have loved to have seen the munchkins greet Dorothy and something when she arrived having to do with them. Were the munchkins just eyes in the bushes? I couldn't wait for part 2 but now well I don't think I will be buying this one I'll wait for it to be on the other site I am a member of where I don't have to buy games I just play them for as long and as many times I want.

[Post New]by crazybluegirl200 on Nov 21, 10 7:50 AM
Why is this in chit-chat?

bella81762
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
24,424 Posts

[Post New]by bella81762 on Nov 21, 10 7:52 AM
cause there is no forum, dora took it over

[Post New]by crazybluegirl200 on Nov 21, 10 7:56 AM
Slackers
well thanks guys since I might try it

MarpleLover
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,415 Posts

[Post New]by MarpleLover on Nov 21, 10 8:00 AM
Pretty gungho gamers here. Have to stand out in the cold with no official forum. Well done.

Btw - saw some people complaining about the new Game Manager not working correctly with game downloads? Anyone experience any problems lately?

penrose47
Stingray
Stingray
4,597 Posts

[Post New]by penrose47 on Nov 21, 10 8:02 AM
THANKS BELLA

Yes they do NOT have a GF for this yet??

Come on get on the ball!
I have a coupon so I am going to use that

THANKS for the reviews

Happy Gaming

PEN

penrose47
Stingray
Stingray
4,597 Posts

[Post New]by penrose47 on Nov 21, 10 8:03 AM
MarpleLover wrote:Pretty gungho gamers here. Have to stand out in the cold with no official forum. Well done.

Btw - saw some people complaining about the new Game Manager not working correctly with game downloads? Anyone experience any problems lately?

THANKS for the info of the GM.....Have NO problem here

PEN

Pepper010
Stingray
Stingray
4,977 Posts

[Post New]by Pepper010 on Nov 21, 10 8:03 AM
This is a really good game, peeps. The graphics are good; the voice-overs are fun, and the developers have a wry sense of humor that pokes ya now and then.

I love literature, and story-telling, so to play a game that's actually developed, and well-developed too, around a story, and a classic ome at that, is a bonus. The developers also do a good job of teaching you the game as you play.

And, I also like their handling of "dark" areas. Turn up the screen resolution, and enjoy. They do hidden objects fairly, too--no teeny little things behind something in the deep, deep dark.

If the game goes by too quickly for you, change to expert mode. I'm happily playing right now in the casual mode, so I can find some hidden objects pretty quickly. But not all! And rather than challenging myself, I'm in the mood to enjoy a good story, with fun things to do.

I give it a 4. The Fiction Fixers series is forging new ground in tying great classic stories with gaming and a modern twist. I like what they're doing so much that I actually paid for this game, when I have a free game credit. I don't know if that makes any difference in the accounting, but I hope it does.

[Post New]by Coronagold on Nov 21, 10 8:05 AM
Eh, overall imagery and gameplay seems kinda amateurish for a game that's ambitiously over 400MB in size. Not a buy for me. Maybe as a DD.

Pepper010
Stingray
Stingray
4,977 Posts

[Post New]by Pepper010 on Nov 21, 10 8:07 AM
I ran out of room above--I talk a lot.

I had about 19 minutes left and I'd just gotten to the tin man. I'm enjoying the atmosphere and the story, just relaxin'.

And--cows! We have cows! (a nod to their sense of humor and Twister)!

ETA: I went back and thought about it. Realized that as a nerd (I'm a nerd! Yeaaa!) I was giving the game and developers extra points for bringing classic stories and books back to life in this new media.

So, to be fair, based on the 41 minutes I played before buying, based on just the game itself I'll give it a 3.75, no lower than a 3.5. No, a 3.75. Oh dear, I'm obsessing to be fair! Another plus: they are consistent in how they present their games, based on the first one and this one. It's a real "series."

In short: a good fun game, and hurrah for this series! If they keep up like this, I plan to buy them all. I knew I would buy this one even before I began the demo--only demo'd for caution's sake.

Whew!

Edited on 11/21/2010 at 8:25:43 AM PST

Go to: