What's with the ending?!

gamergirl675
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,156 Posts

What's with the ending?!

[Post New]by gamergirl675 on Nov 21, 10 10:50 PM
Is this going to have a part two or something??? The ending was AWFUL!!! I've never read or seen PotO so maybe that's the actual story but if so then I'm REALLY glad I never bothered with it. YUCK. Or is it because I did the SE and the CE has the real ending?

Edited on 11/21/2010 at 10:51:07 PM PST

Re:What's with the ending?!

[Post New]by Kitty_at_large on Nov 22, 10 3:10 AM
I don't understand why she never told him that she was the daughter not the mother.

Lady_Cav
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,363 Posts

What's with the ending?!

[Post New]by Lady_Cav on Nov 22, 10 4:32 AM
gamergirl675 wrote:Or is it because I did the SE and the CE has the real ending?

The CE bonus game does go a bit further with the story, but Evelina's dilemma still is not resolved. It is a cliffhanger ending, very much like the regular game.

It certainly begs for a sequel. We'll just have to wait and see.

esmeqt
Catfish
Catfish
1,721 Posts

[Post New]by esmeqt on Nov 22, 10 4:38 AM
Kitty_at_large wrote:I don't understand why she never told him that she was the daughter not the mother.

I thought that was odd too, though in the extra of the CE she does say "I'm not who you think I am" but that's about it.

I hated the ending. I wish the developers would understand that they don't need cliff hangers to keep us buying from them. For me, a satisfying conclusion to a game I've invested days in playing is enough to make me want to get the next one they make. Cliffhangers just seem cheap and vaguely insulting to me.

Edited on 11/22/2010 at 1:08:37 PM PST

[Post New]by nnrobertson on Nov 22, 10 1:46 PM
Glad others felt this way! I was so annoyed after finishing. What a letdown! I definitely feel like they could have ended it much more satisfyingly and still let us know there was more to come.

NONONONONO
Manatee
Manatee
4,085 Posts

[Post New]by NONONONONO on Nov 22, 10 1:59 PM
nnrobertson wrote:Glad others felt this way! I was so annoyed after finishing. What a letdown! I definitely feel like they could have ended it much more satisfyingly and still let us know there was more to come.

gamergirl675
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,156 Posts

[Post New]by gamergirl675 on Nov 22, 10 5:59 PM
I'm glad I'm not the only one... I thought maybe I wasn't cultured enough to get it.

Maybe they'll see this and understand that we will buy games because they are GOOD and it doesn't matter if there's a cliffhanger. It's much better if each is independent and the story is wrapped up. I'll still buy the next in the series (when the games are good) and I won't buy a bad game just to resolve the story anyway.

sheilaclown
Squid
Squid
75 Posts

[Post New]by sheilaclown on Nov 22, 10 6:55 PM
I assume the extra level is CE only - it seems a bit mean to show there is another level (in SE map) and not be able to get to it. I did enjoy the game although it got a bit annoying with the frequent long journeys to find 1 item or do 1 action. A click on the map would have been a good idea. For the most part a really good game and good playing time. Thanks.

Koalanut
Marlin
Marlin
8,777 Posts

[Post New]by Koalanut on Nov 22, 10 7:34 PM
Yep, just finished a few minutes ago and I said "WHAT???!!!" I can see wanting to set up for a sequel, but that was 7 hours of working to just be where I was at the beginning! Well, playing the game anyway...

[Post New]by LadyXXXHolic on Nov 23, 10 1:51 AM
I loved this game but I agree that there are many improvments needed. Couldn't we get a trap door shortcut somewhere so we wouldn't have to run back and fourth a hundred times to open 1 door? Why didn't she just tell the Phantom from the start that she wasn't Christine? Why did she even bother doing what he said and got the black roses for him? How come the Phantom had a crypt when he wasn't dead, plus wouldn't he be really old now? WTF! And the cliff hanger ending would have been better if we could have had some small sign of a sequel game to come. A lot of people have complained about the trunk we never get to open in the cabin so unless we get a sequel that takes place in the same location this was pointless. Bottom line, we need another game to give us a complete ending and fix the problems this game had.

[Post New]by dooslola on Nov 23, 10 5:41 AM
Had the same feeling you all seem to have about the ending. At first I thought I had done something wrong and missed a clue.. It is a great game though and I loved playing it, except there wasn't a shortcut from one space to another. Maybe in the next part? I didn't need a walkthrough; good hint-system in the game itself. I do hope the next part will follow soon.

[Post New]by joannab on Nov 24, 10 11:12 AM
I am so disappointed! I really liked this game --finally found a game comparable to MCF in interest level and challenge. Then to have the ending so lame... UGH.
So I have to spend more to get an ending? Forget it. Not when there are other options.

[Post New]by ozwiz10 on Nov 24, 10 2:15 PM
Agree totally with what others are saying here. SOOOO disappointed, not just with the ending but with the game itself. I enjoy a challenge and don't want hints from Eveline. I prefer a storyline that is vaguely believable, and I hate loose ends like the trunk that never gets opened. Even if there is a sequel I won't be buying it. I'll stick with MCF - I have all of these and not a disappointed moment on any of them! 13th Skull here I come!

[Post New]by chooky1975 on Nov 24, 10 9:04 PM
Firstly, let me say I LOVE this game! Very haunting and beautiful and gets the brain thinking!

I am, however, like the others a little disappointed with the ending in that I was expecting to be able to play the bonus level. I purchased the game through the trial game's link ("Purchase game now") and I didn't even know there was a SE and CE to choose from; had I known, I most definitely would have gone with the CE to make the full use of the game.

Having said that, I really did enjoy this...now, I'm off to do the mountains of house work that have been ignored for the past day and a half!

[Post New]by Diaryfallenangel on Nov 25, 10 2:00 AM
Ok, I have read the book and watched the movie and yes I like the fact that that it had her daughter as the heroine, but seriously WHAtS WITH THE CLIFF HANGER!? I like it because it leaves it open for a sequel, but then again I hate it because after sweating through the game I finally get to the end and i get that?! Grrrr! They better make a squel or i swear i am going to through a fit!

medic1960
Guppy
Guppy
103 Posts

[Post New]by medic1960 on Nov 25, 10 6:41 AM
A really great game BUT the thoroughly disappointing end spoilt it for me. I don't need to say more because my feelings have been amply expressed by other fishes who feel badly let down.

medic1960

[Post New]by krenae16 on Nov 25, 10 10:11 AM
The ending was terrible...and what is with the bonus level???? Did I miss something???Playing along...new it was close to the end and boom, the story takes over. Do you only get to play the bonus section in the CE game???

shamaho
Seahorse
Seahorse
22 Posts

[Post New]by shamaho on Nov 25, 10 1:35 PM
I think they left it open to introduce a sequel where Raoul comes for Evelina. Not positive of course but it seems to be the best option, I don't think he'd let Christine come for her.

It really was a stunning game, I was a tad disappointed that it wasn't modeled more after the Paris Opera, but it was engaging.

I will say, I was also annoyed to have to go back and forth so much the long way. UGH. I nearly gave up for that. I think I'd buy the sequel depending on how they set it up, I'd definitely have to play the trail first.

[Post New]by LadyXXXHolic on Nov 30, 10 3:24 AM
Don't worry if you didn't play the bonus level, nothing happens except the phantom telling her she can't see his face.
Only 2 things would interest me in a sequel. First, if they make a short cut to cut down on those annoying back and forth trips. Second, make this girl smarter! All she did was do as the phantom said without question then didn't even try to escape or tell him she was Christine's daughter until the end cut scene. I'd like to play her again but she'd have to try harder!

[Post New]by kichosmother on Dec 4, 10 8:07 PM
Agreed, bad ending. Took a peek at CE forum and found out they only got a little more info with the same ending. I hate cliffhangers. Especially if they don't even advertise a 2nd so we are hung out to dry.

Really too bad, since otherwise it was a great game. I would hesitate, now, though to buy a 2nd part because of the way this one was handled.

Go to: