Catfish
Catfish
1,524 Posts

Enough is enough

[Post New]by karen876 on Nov 24, 10 5:42 PM
The Big Fish Games Guarantee:
Quality tested and virus free.
No ads, no adware, no spyware

Sorry, I'm failing to see the "Quality tested" part of this guarantee.

This is the second game that I've come across where another member has come up with a fix before . Unfortunately, it didn't work for me this time but has for others. My point is that we are paying for entertainment and not to play around with our computers and get frustrated. If are offering something for sale then the least they can do is make sure it works.

Beta testing obviously has to be improved. If the game had been fully tested then the glitches with this game would have been apparent.

I am not one of these fishies that have been eagerly awaiting this game. I do like MCF and when I saw that the new one was available today I did demo it first to make sure that there were no download issues (as had been reported already). How frustrating to play for 5 hours (1 of which was spent wandering around wondering if I had missed something) and then run into a glitch!

I am not threatening to leave but I am going to start looking at other sites if nothing is done about testing games properly.

vingilot
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,175 Posts

Re:Enough is enough

[Post New]by vingilot on Nov 24, 10 6:10 PM
All gaming sites get their games from the same developers. If there's a problem with the game here, there will be problems with it at the other sites too.

13th Skull is a BFG developed game. BFG fixed two major glitches with this game in less than a day. I fail to see why that wouldn't be acceptable to anyone.

Mac players had to wait nearly TWO MONTHS for a fix for Redemption Cemetery, and it still acts buggy - it's a good game, but I will be wary of buying any games from that developer again.

In my experience, BFG games has always acted promptly, courteously, and professionally.

bella81762
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
24,424 Posts

[Post New]by bella81762 on Nov 24, 10 6:23 PM
i have seen lots of games that wouldnt play because of the game manager, and i agree with karen, if the full game was sent to various testers with different configurations then maybe this fiasco could of been averted, this game could not of been tested well to have so many(and hopefully not more ) problems

firekat7
Clownfish
Clownfish
954 Posts

[Post New]by firekat7 on Nov 24, 10 6:41 PM
I'm with you Vingilot. Operating systems for our computers always have bugs when they first come out. It's just expected. Compared to the problems I have upgrading other kinds of software, the bugs in this game were minor and have been fixed in less than 24 hours. Who else does that? Not the big software company that comes to mind first when you think software. While it is frustrating to run into glitches, we do have a choice of waiting a few days before trying a game to let others find and report the bugs. In the five years that I have been a BFG member, there have only been 3 games that I have had any trouble playing. The worst issue took only 2 days to fix, while the others were fixed in a matter of hours.

You don't give your car back to the dealer if something comes up when you first buy it. You have the dealer repair it under warrantee. I don't know any dealers who will fix your car for you in the middle of the night. Yet BFG started working on download/activation fix within 30 minutes of release.

It's fine to be frustrated and to express it. And then give thanks for what you DO have. A roof over your head, enough to eat, people who love you, and games you can play on your computer because you have electricity and affordably priced electronic equipment.

Thank you BFG for working non-stop and standing by to immediately work on ironing out any issues that come up today. By tonight's release to the general public, this game is very likely to be flawless. We got 1/3 off the general public price and a day early, so a few glitches are worth it to me.

I am having a great time playing this game. There are so many funny little details in the hidden object scenes, especially in the refrigerator. The music is awesome and the characters are hilarious. So far my fave is Cooder. I have just run into the goblet glitch and will have to uninstall and reinstall, but I need a dinner break, so no big deal. By the time I got to this glitch, the fix was already finished. That's not much of an inconvenience.

I hope everyone can hang in there and give this game a chance, because it really is awesomely fun.

Edited on 11/24/2010 at 6:44:55 PM PST

[Post New]by rrfranczak3 on Nov 24, 10 6:58 PM
QC should always be a number one priority and it doesnt seem to be....is this stuff being out sourced to India (no offense) like half of this countries tech support is or was it actually done in the good 'ole USA

Edited on 11/24/2010 at 6:59:40 PM PST

AshleyD1979
Guppy
Guppy
150 Posts

[Post New]by AshleyD1979 on Nov 24, 10 7:21 PM
Allow me to fill in other fishies who don't understand why we are so upset.

1). For some of us, this game was a huge deal to us and we pretty much wait all year for the next MCF game.

2). As you will see if you check out my posting history, in the speculation thread, I emphasized asking when the game would come out. Why? Because I planned my whole day around this release and admitted that. That might sound pathetic but I go non stop 7 days a week as a mother, business owner, and volunteer. BFG's are really the only down time I get.

So I got my house cleaning, laundry, grocery shopping, and all of my business work done so I could sit down and enjoy this game today.

3). For people like me, we HATE resorting to walkthroughs and strategy guides. I LOVE being able to play an entire game based on my own wits. I actually get down on myself if I resort to a walkthrough. I have had to do that several times now since the goblet glitch since I'm paranoid about more glitches although I was fine before that. Now it looks like there is ANOTHER glitch.

It completely took the magic out of the game for me today. I feel like the day I took my kids to the theme park (after planning the day a month in advance), only for it to be closed for unexpected maintenance. So we had to turn around and take another 2 hour trip home. That is how I feel today.

Sure, I understand stuff happens. Products and services have their issues. You get it fixed, exchange it, get a refund, etc.But this is inexcusable. There is no way this was tested thoroughly. A quick complete run through of the game would have shown these glitches to be the case.

Yes, I am pretty upset. A new MCF game is a once in a year event and this was nothing but a source of frustration when it was supposed to be a fun time for a lot of us.

got2play
Lobster
Lobster
82 Posts

[Post New]by got2play on Nov 24, 10 7:40 PM
rrfranczak3 wrote:QC should always be a number one priority and it doesnt seem to be....is this stuff being out sourced to India (no offense) like half of this countries tech support is or was it actually done in the good 'ole USA

Racist comments should be banned from this site.

No offense? Are you kidding?

sillyfeet
Stingray
Stingray
5,447 Posts

[Post New]by sillyfeet on Nov 24, 10 7:48 PM
I understand people anticipating the release of a new game and then being frustrated when it doesn't work right but let's put this in perspective. It is JUST a game...if it doesn't work life will go on, the world will continue to spin and it will eventually get fixed and work another day.

It is impossible for every game to work 100% of the time on every computer configuration. That being said, I think BF did an awesome job promptly fixing the glitches that were brought to their attention today.

judy76073
Clownfish
Clownfish
531 Posts

[Post New]by judy76073 on Nov 24, 10 8:18 PM
sillyfeet wrote:I understand people anticipating the release of a new game and then being frustrated when it doesn't work right but let's put this in perspective. It is JUST a game...if it doesn't work life will go on, the world will continue to spin and it will eventually get fixed and work another day.

It is impossible for every game to work 100% of the time on every computer configuration. That being said, I think BF did an awesome job promptly fixing the glitches that were brought to their attention today.

judy76073
Clownfish
Clownfish
531 Posts

[Post New]by judy76073 on Nov 24, 10 8:27 PM
not sure if I did this right - but quoting "sillyfeet" and responding to that - AMEN !! I totally agree with your comments

In the few years I've been a member of BFG, there were only 2 games I bought that would not play properly. And - you're right - it is ONLY a game !! I am quite enjoying MCF 7 (even if some people do think there is too much "hand-holding") - I play to relax and enjoy.

I just bought a new PC (which I get tomorrow) - keeping my fingers crossed that there's no problems with d/l games on Windows 7

calsmom2001
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,785 Posts

[Post New]by calsmom2001 on Nov 24, 10 8:33 PM
judy76073 wrote:I am quite enjoying MCF 7

Judy,

Count yourself among the lucky ones. The problem that most of us are having is not too much hand-holding - it is that the game will not play. Seems to me to be a legitimate cause for complaint. I paid for the game, I want it to run.

suzy230
Seahorse
Seahorse
30 Posts

[Post New]by suzy230 on Nov 25, 10 6:47 PM
Yeah...ya know, I play these games for relaxation and entertainment. Getting frustrated and upset was not my goal, and $ is tight. I certainly don't want to spend it negatively. I think it's even more frustrating that the game is potentially good, and you can't play it. I'm so disappointed.

[Post New]by kalladonna on Nov 25, 10 7:31 PM
got2play wrote:
rrfranczak3 wrote:QC should always be a number one priority and it doesnt seem to be....is this stuff being out sourced to India (no offense) like half of this countries tech support is or was it actually done in the good 'ole USA

kithain
Lobster
Lobster
86 Posts

[Post New]by kithain on Nov 26, 10 6:45 PM
firekat,

Thank you. I found your post enlightening. I was mildly disappointed with BFG because of the problems with 13th Skull. You put the problem into the proper perspective, and that's made me realize that I have no reason to be disappointed in BFG. In fact, I'm very grateful for the way this game site has taken care of all of us over the years. It's why I'm still here after 5 years playing HOG's downloaded from this site instead of from others.

Thanks BFG. Keep up the good work. I really appreciate the time, effort and thought you put into your games, maintenance and technical support. Kudos to you all!

kit

scarlet_11dy6
Flounder
Flounder
2,031 Posts

[Post New]by scarlet_11dy6 on Nov 26, 10 6:57 PM
All gaming sites get their games from the same developers. If there's a problem with the game here, there will be problems with it at the other sites too.

That's simply untrue.

Exhibit A: Midnight Mysteries: Salem Witch Trials.

I beta'd it & it worked beautifully. I bought it here w/o demo'ing b/c of the great beta. It was a tech nightmare for many & despite BFG announcing "rebuilds" & "updates" & repeatedly deleting tech issues threads about the game to give the impression there was nothing wrong w/ it, there certainly was & it was never fixed, so I don't hold out much hope for those still experiencing problems w/ MCF7 after its "rebuild", sorry.

Oddly enough, I d/l'd SWT directly from MumboJumbo (the developer) & whaddya know? Worked wonderfully w/o a glitch to be seen, whereas the BFG version either wouldn't install or wouldn't open.

I suspect a great many of the tech issues on other devs' games are bad reactions to BFGs DRM software AKA the game mgr.

There is, however, no excuse for a BFG-developed game to prove incompatible w/ its own software as this one apparently has been. The MCF series is BFGs "flagship product" & if they can't bother going much beyond alpha testing b4 pronouncing a product good to go, ppl aren't going to bother buying no matter what "emotional attachment" there might be to the series. I noted 4 changes from "beta" to "demo" (they were nearly exactly the same), 2 of them merely aesthetic. There may have been more that I missed, but likely not a ton as I was on the lookout to see what if anything had been altered in the, what was it, 2 whole wks btwn beta testing & release?

As many have learned this wk, it's just not worth banging one's head against the monitor attempting to solve BFGs problems for them when they can't put out a premium product w/o giving one a headache. This series is supposed to raise the bar, not lower it to the pt where it becomes an industry-wide laughingstock. If I worked for BFG I'd be too embarrassed to poke my head out from under the covers right now.

And the poster who referenced 3rd World-outsourcing did say "no offense", so give it a rest. It's not like a mod will do anything about it (unless maybe to prove a S'list'ers opinion wrong).

catzzz666
Guppy
Guppy
126 Posts

[Post New]by catzzz666 on Nov 26, 10 6:58 PM
'Just finished the game without a single problem. Great game, thoroughly enjoyed it. Thank you BFG

karen876
Catfish
Catfish
1,524 Posts

[Post New]by karen876 on Nov 27, 10 4:32 AM
I think that what a lot of people are failing to realise is that this game is available to other countries hours ahead of when America "starts it's day". I bought this game around 1pm GMT. I was one of the lucky ones that didn't have the download issue but the goblet/trapdoor glitch was not fixed until after midnight here.
Yes, did a great job of fixing two major glitches in one day (but why where they there?) and for those people who started playing after the fixes then, I suppose, it was a great game but for those of us who had to sit around for hours waiting to play it was not so much fun.
My point being, that it seems to me, the first people who play a game ARE the BETA testers. Problems are pointed out by us early birds and fixed by the time the vast majority of people start playing.
It just seems unfair to me that some customers are paying the same price for a game to get a lot of frustration as people who can actually enjoy the experience.
I do realise that this is just a game and the world will not stop turning if it doesn't work but I wouldn't pay anyone for a headache.....

bella81762
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
24,424 Posts

[Post New]by bella81762 on Nov 27, 10 5:28 AM
sillyfeet wrote:I understand people anticipating the release of a new game and then being frustrated when it doesn't work right but let's put this in perspective. It is JUST a game...if it doesn't work life will go on, the world will continue to spin and it will eventually get fixed and work another day.

true silly, but this one is not working on a huge # of puters....

bella81762
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
24,424 Posts

[Post New]by bella81762 on Nov 27, 10 5:31 AM
firekat7 wrote: You don't give your car back to the dealer if something comes up when you first buy it. You have the dealer repair it under warrantee. I don't know any dealers who will fix your car for you in the middle of the night. Yet BFG started working on download/activation fix within 30 minutes of release.

fun.

if a car was bought by this many people and had problems a recall would be issued...and yes car co, would trip thier own feet if the problems were so bad and the public knew about it......course if they didnt know that would be a diff story

snapnhiss
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,483 Posts

[Post New]by snapnhiss on Nov 27, 10 6:27 AM
got2play wrote:

It's not racist, it's a fact of life.

Go to: