gimmegames
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,231 Posts

Destination: Treasure Island - DD for 25Nov2010 - Comments and Reviews

[Post New]by gimmegames on Nov 25, 10 12:17 AM
Post 'em if ya got 'em... (no free trial for this one...)

I started reading the regular stickied Comments and Reviews for this game, and some folks who bought it had trouble getting it to run.

Some others found a free trial elsewhere to play (- but the moderators took out the links) - maybe a search would turn one up.

The gameplay seems to be like Return to Mysterious Island, which was too hard for me - but it's sounding like this one might be easier. The gameplay video was giving me unpleasant flashbacks of Return to Mysterious Island - visually similar. (It wasn't the format or the video elements that I had a problem with in Return to Mysterious Island - it was having to use the strategy guide every other move, even the second time thru.)

Edited on 11/25/2010 at 12:32:00 AM PST

gamergirl675
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,156 Posts

Re:Destination: Treasure Island - DD for 25Nov2010 - Comments and Reviews

[Post New]by gamergirl675 on Nov 25, 10 2:01 AM
I hope someone comes along who has played that can review Gimme... I'm curious too. I love adventure games... been playing since back in the texting days of "You see a large cave. There is a small rock nearby. You hear faint rumblings...." then you choose your text move. I used to create simple games for my old Vic 20 (quit laughing that baby was a classic!! ) based on my D&D DM days. Am I old or what?! You know there's something to be said for imagination... can be better than top of the line graphics at times especially when you were in a mud interacting with other players. Ok just being nostalgic here... a little early since it's only Thanksgiving and not New Years. (Also just taking a break from the engaging but taxing MCF7 me misses me integrated SG <-- need a pout smiley lol) But back to the game at hand... I do wish there was at least a small trial since I can't handle a lot of the 360... it really depends on how it's set up... some are fine some

MarpleLover
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,415 Posts

[Post New]by MarpleLover on Nov 25, 10 3:27 AM
I used to feel nauseous playing the old Doom computer game.

Howatch
Manatee
Manatee
3,952 Posts

[Post New]by Howatch on Nov 25, 10 7:04 AM
I played this game a few years ago and thoroughly enjoyed it. If you have liked any of the other LFA games from Kheops, I'm sure you would like this one too. This is a great price for a pleasing and entertaining game.

[Post New]by RenaissanceMom on Nov 25, 10 7:27 AM
Buying this! Has received pretty great reviews and it's a steal for $2.99.

Happy Thanksgiving to those who are celebrating!!

barbiecats2000
Catfish
Catfish
1,668 Posts

[Post New]by barbiecats2000 on Nov 25, 10 7:28 AM
I just can't see purchasing a game without trying it first. It seems like many folks had technical issues so why would I buy something that may not run correctly on my computer.

zorrogumbo
Clownfish
Clownfish
550 Posts

[Post New]by zorrogumbo on Nov 25, 10 7:32 AM
just bought it and the game is playing fine with me. Very much happy. Thanks BF for a 'large file game as a dd.'

Dynastia
Guppy
Guppy
159 Posts

[Post New]by Dynastia on Nov 25, 10 9:44 AM
Hello all,

This is the kind of game that makes you think what can and must be done next to evolve. I enjoy this type but I would rather be myself in the situation, looking for what I want and need, than having to search the whole scenery inch by inch for objects to pick up or things to interact with. And the objects can be dismantled and you need to combine two or more to create the one you will need. That means you need to try many things in hope of getting what the game wants you to find.

All that makes the game seem long but in reality it is short. And there is no replayibility with this type of game.

I still have to play Return to Mysterious Island 1 and 2 which I bought a while ago and would not be able to compare them with this one.

If you like the kind of gaming this one offers, at 2.99 it is a buy, compared to the much higher priced games in stores.

There you go. Have fun and a very nice day.

Delta77
Guppy
Guppy
149 Posts

Destination: Treasure Island - DD for 25Nov2010 - Comments and Reviews

[Post New]by Delta77 on Nov 25, 10 10:36 AM
gimmegames wrote:Post 'em if ya got 'em... (no free trial for this one...)

Some others found a free trial elsewhere to play (- but the moderators took out the links) - maybe a search would turn one up.

I found a free trial by searching the following:
destination treasure island trial

Hope this helps!

Delta77
Guppy
Guppy
149 Posts

[Post New]by Delta77 on Nov 25, 10 10:38 AM
gamergirl675 wrote:I I love adventure games... been playing since back in the texting days of "You see a large cave. There is a small rock nearby. You hear faint rumblings...." then you choose your text move.

I remember that game, too and used to love the Infocom games because of the advanced text parser. Those games were some of my all time favorites!

phatkhat
Stingray
Stingray
5,001 Posts

[Post New]by phatkhat on Nov 25, 10 11:16 AM
Not enthralled with MCF 7. Boycotting the price increase for OS customers, anyway. I did the MCF beta and really didn't like it! Seems it's a love it/hate it game, and I don't love it for sure, LOL.

But I was excited to find this as the DD. I snapped it up, trust me! I am not disappointed, and finding it a lot of fun, and a great alternative to MCF - albeit both are about pirates, LOL.

The graphics are gorgeous, and you can slow down the camera movement if you feel queasy, but on "normal" it is perfect for me. It has a lot of options, and I chose to use the hardest option, though it is still relatively easy for a LFA. The play takes a little getting used to, but once you do, it is smooth sailing.

I can't speak to the length yet, as I just got started, but as I'm a slow player, I think it may take me a while.

ETA: No technical problems at all. I'm running Vista 32 and have nVidia integrated graphics. DL was long, but I was DLing from another site at the same time, so it was slow on both.
Thanks for the bone, BFG!

Edited on 11/25/2010 at 11:19:05 AM PST

Genet1770
Guppy
Guppy
117 Posts

[Post New]by Genet1770 on Nov 25, 10 11:30 AM
I have a family member whose philosophy on the no-try large files games is "What if I don't like it?" This has perplexed me for a long time, lol. Now, I'm NOT saying buy it outright at $6.99, no. But at $2.99? Why not? And yes, I'm as broke as the next person, probably more so than most.

I looked at the graphics for this game, and I have a hunch that a whole lot of the size of this game is because of those lovely graphics. Graphics take up a lot of space, and so one of the things I'm careful of is to avoid a game low on imaginative gameplay, and high on visual pizazz. This one, tho, seems to provide a lot of entertainment too, and it IS pretty, that's for sure. No idea yet how long the game will be to play...but at $2.99, for that size of a game, AND an adventure game, which I love - I go way back to the early Infocom games myself, and all those lovely, CREATIVE games way back then, for the original Atari, and Commodore...oh boy, those were the days, lol...

I bought this game, and didn't have to ponder on it. It's worth giving it a chance at this price. And hey, you can go to the grocery store spot a really scrumptious looking goodie in the deli as you pass it, and grab it at $5, only to bring it home, all drooly and full of anticipation and find out it's dry, tasteless, and full of artificial ingredients. Don't we do that too? Well...maybe lots are wise than I, but I sure do, lol.

No trouble downloading it or running it so far. Happy Thanksgiving all, God bless.

gamergirl675
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,156 Posts

[Post New]by gamergirl675 on Nov 25, 10 7:31 PM
Ok found a free trial elsewhere (now why can THEY offer a free trial but not big fish?) (And game prices are about the same as here so that's not the issue.)

Anyway... for anyone wondering about the 360 degree view there is a "slow" option (in addition to normal or fast) for mouse movement and it works great. As long as I don't whip my mouse around really fast I can play!!! No for this fishie!!

The game is super fun so far... doesn't seem too hard for an LFA... not like Siberia for example. And the voice acting is nice... music fits... graphics (of course) are amazing. I haven't played long... only about 15 minutes... but I'm loving it so far. Takes me back to old time adventure gaming...

My only problem is I feel really guilty buying it here when I got to enjoy a free trial on a different companies dime.

Go to: