bfgImbrium
Manatee
Manatee
4,236 Posts

Your Comments and Reviews for King's Smith 2

[Post New]by bfgImbrium on Nov 25, 10 1:56 AM
Hey Fishies! What do you think of King's Smith 2? We value your reviews, as do many of the other fishies in our pond, so feel free to post your comments, opinions, hints and tips in this thread!

Remember, a lot of people who will be reading this thread will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

Happy gaming!

bfgImbrium

shinysign
Starfish
Starfish
55 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for King's Smith 2

[Post New]by shinysign on Nov 25, 10 7:29 AM
In my opinion, this is a cool game. If you want better graphics, go to options and take it off full screen and click "better graphics".

This is a time management game with a medieval theme and an RPG twist. I've just started it and I enjoy it so far, you are a blacksmith, smithing things like axes and shields. A thief will sometimes sell you items for cheap. So far, I'm really enjoying it. I'll add more later, as I have Thanksgiving things to do. Happy Thanksgiving everyone.

Edit: I played the hour, and the hour flew by. This game is unique in time management games, it has a cool theme, and fun gameplay. I will be getting this tomorrow when my bf gameclub renews - good timing.

11/28/10 - Update - love this game. Worth the bucks.

Game on.

Edited on 11/28/2010 at 10:34:22 AM PST

Lisa522
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,850 Posts

[Post New]by Lisa522 on Nov 25, 10 8:06 AM
Really fun and unique game with a lot of challenges going on all at once. You can play in relaxed (no time limit) or normal modes. You run a blacksmithing business and must manage your supplies, the weapons and armor you make, fulfill goals and special requests. There are cards you can win which give you advantages on future levels and there are upgrades you can buy in the shop. You must also manage your employees. Game has a lot to offer - definitely recommend giving this one a try!

cherbtoo
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
22,629 Posts

[Post New]by cherbtoo on Nov 25, 10 8:12 AM
Apostrophes ... shakes head at the amount of posts on this subject and not a single review among them so here goes.

Well at least I played 27 minutes of the game and you will never guess what ...

I actually liked the music

Mind you who can dislike Greensleeves ... I much prefer it to yesterday's music but that is my personal choice and might have something to do with me being English .

I very nearly didn't get beyond the title because as soon as I put my name in the screen changed and there was Felix saying "You have 60 minutes of free play remaining. Play Again? and when I clicked on that it loaded again and after inputting my name again we were off.

In the options menu you can decide whether to play in full screen or windowed, timed (gold, silver awards) or relaxed where you can advance to the next level when you have completed the task at your leisure which is the option I chose because my hands are too slow for normal TM timed games. There is also an option to change the language from English to Czech and one for Better Graphics which makes the scenes look sharper and not so "amateurish".

Anya was a blacksmith who was kidnapped and drugged and left in the woods but who's life is saved by Cedric a thief. When she wakes with no recollection of being a blacksmith an old man teaches here again. Needless to say you play Anya.

You buy rusty axes, shields, kites etc of market traders and clean them up and then sell them at the market. Occasionally Cedric will appear with items which he will sell you cheaply ... don't ask where he got them as ignorance is bliss .

I have just built a goldsmith and so can earn more money by applying gilt to the items. In the section where you buy your iron and gold supplies there is a icon for jewels so I would guess that by the time you make it back to the King's court you are making some snazzy shields etc.

Do you know I might just buy this as I like something to play inbetween all the IHOGs etc and there appears to be quite a few levels.

Cherb

nelliegemini
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,898 Posts

[Post New]by nelliegemini on Nov 25, 10 9:01 AM
Lol Cherb, I read your post before reading the apostrophes thread, I thought 'what is Cherb going on about?!'

I have nothing to add to your excellent review, my trial has just run out because I played the full hour - I hadn't realised I could tweak the appearance or play in untimed - so thanks for the information.

I will be buying this game as soon as I have finished my other nice relaxing non-HOG game (Season Match 3), I always like to have a couple of genres on the go so I can go and relax when I get too scared/fraught/confused with my main HOG.

I really enjoyed it and look forward to playing the full version.

Loved the music and did much singing along, which confused DH since I was playing in headphones!

Edited because I had spelt excellent wrongly, and was worried about starting a spelling thread!

Edited on 11/25/2010 at 9:04:20 AM PST

DMH5321
Minnow
Minnow
250 Posts

[Post New]by DMH5321 on Nov 25, 10 12:05 PM
I gave this one a try, but it is not for me. I don't care for the system of buying resources. I found it rather awkward. Taming the monkey was really annoying--click,click, click,click, on and on.

heidid
Minnow
Minnow
269 Posts

[Post New]by heidid on Nov 25, 10 12:32 PM
I generally like both RPGs and TMs, so based on previous reviews I wanted to give this one a try.

My observations after 10 minutes or so:

1) The graphics are nothing special, but I generally do not discard games based on graphics unless they are so bad they interfere with game play.
2) The font used for the tutorial, at least, is not easy to read. It adds to the medieval setting and atmosphere and looks pretty, but I'm spending more time squinting at the screen trying to decipher the font, so it definitely slows me down. I like nice, clean, sans-serif fonts when possible.
3) Music is nice - unobtrusive & pleasant.
4) Not possible to skip the intro story or speed it up, which could get old, but since it's not an actual game-play issue it's not critical for me.
5) relaxed mode option is nice.
6) The story and game play so far are enjoyable.

I might have further comments after more game play time; these are only first impressions. So far, I don't know that I would buy it, but I'm enjoying myself.

MEnr56
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,984 Posts

[Post New]by MEnr56 on Nov 25, 10 12:44 PM
Lisa522 wrote:Really fun and unique game with a lot of challenges going on all at once. You can play in relaxed (no time limit) or normal modes. You run a blacksmithing business and must manage your supplies, the weapons and armor you make, fulfill goals and special requests. There are cards you can win which give you advantages on future levels and there are upgrades you can buy in the shop. You must also manage your employees. Game has a lot to offer - definitely recommend giving this one a try!

NO TIME LIMIT?!?! Okay, NOW I'm interested; my forte is NOT time management games so I'd decided to not even download it but at the same time, I always like to get a general "feel" for a game and voila, what do I read?

Thanks for the input; am downloading it now.

MEnr56

shinysign
Starfish
Starfish
55 Posts

[Post New]by shinysign on Nov 25, 10 1:33 PM
Just for clarity, there are two modes, relaxed and normal. In relaxed mode, you can go to the next level even if you get bronze (lowest time). In normal mode, you would have to repeat it. Getting gold gets you extra jewels, and in order to get gold you have to play fast. So in a way there is a time limit, or at least, an incentive to play fast.

flekoun
Seahorse
Seahorse
21 Posts

[Post New]by flekoun on Nov 26, 10 12:08 AM
This GAME a simply AMAZING!!!!! The trial hour passed like nothing. I have already bought the game and after 3 hours I must say that this is the best TM game i have ever played! As you gain more and more magic card you can make diverse strategies for each level depending on the cards you have chose to use. Very unique TM game with great story and addictive gameplay. Musics is simply fabulous. If you dont like the graphics go to options and turn on Better graphics option on. I recommend everyone to try this one even if you dont like TM games. There is a relaxed mode so you are not forced by any timelimit.

Great game. Definitely for me!

AriadneSP
Lobster
Lobster
89 Posts

[Post New]by AriadneSP on Nov 26, 10 1:39 AM
heidid wrote:
4) Not possible to skip the intro story or speed it up, which could get old, but since it's not an actual game-play issue it's not critical for me.

presumably the prompt in the top left corner (escape to skip) which worked fine for me didn't show for you?

I liked the first one - infuriated by the second to last level which was impossible to get in gold time - and this is probably on my "buy" list, once I've finished a few of the games I'm currently playing.

Unique gameplay, and quite good fun

heidid
Minnow
Minnow
269 Posts

[Post New]by heidid on Nov 26, 10 10:23 PM
AriadneSP wrote:
heidid wrote:

presumably the prompt in the top left corner (escape to skip) which worked fine for me didn't show for you?

Ah! No, it did not appear. I should have thought of trying [Esc], too...I tried clicking, space bar, enter....various things which frequently work. I don't mind watching intro movies most of the time, but this one moved exceptionally slowly, and I tend to skip them if I am playing a demo. Thanks for the pointer.

michelha75
Squid
Squid
69 Posts

[Post New]by michelha75 on Nov 27, 10 3:34 AM
The game plot and concept are pretty good, it's a game I would have liked to buy EXCEPT the graphics make me feel like i'm playing on an old nintendo system - extremely outdated to say the least. Also it's pretty glitchy. 10 minutes in and it booted me out and asked me if i wanted to play again, alot of times the cursor dissappeared on me for a bit. To be honest I wouldn't even say the game was ready to be beta tested much less ready to be sold.

The relaxed mode was a breathe of fresh air. Gives you a choice to decide just what kind of gaming mood you are in.

On the down side if you're falling behind on moving your items they stack on top of each other...I had 3 kite shields on top of each other and thought it was only one.

If your in the mood for a unique old school game and don't mind the minor glitches it's definitely one to check out, but all in all I don't think it's worth paying for, though because I'm curious I am going to check out the first in the series.

[Post New]by CathrineStar on Nov 27, 10 5:35 AM
I finished the game and I must say I literally LOVE the game. You play as a young blacksmith girl who was once a king's smith but was betrayed and now struggling once again throughout the kingdom.
You buy old junk and repair it just to sell it for higher price. You manage resources like iron bars, gold and more as well as your workers (cute is that you can even tame monkeys to help you:-)). But the most intriguing is the system of magic cards. You collect various magic cards as the game progresses and then before each level you choose only few which you'll be able to use on that level. I like this very much. Each card is different and together they create very powerful combinations.
I definitely recommend you to enable better graphics in option and I choose the Relaxed mode, so I was able to play each level with no stress at all.
Whole game took me approximately 6 hours to finish, but once you finish it you can play on higher difficulty which seems a little bit too challenging for me.
I definitely recommend this game to anyone.

ember89
Flounder
Flounder
2,103 Posts

[Post New]by ember89 on Nov 27, 10 11:41 AM
in my initial comment, i went only from the screen shots posted on the game's DL page:

i'm feeling like it's a little bit MKFTP and a little bit lifequest... maybe even a pinch of build-a-lot...

and boy was i wrong! it is none of these things really... in fact, it is something else altogether different - fix-it-up! i don't know how many of you are familiar with the fix-it-up games, but kate opens a series of auto shops where she: (a) buys a klunker, (b) repairs it to working order, [c] paints it, and [d] tricks it out to sell for much more than she paid for it... very much like anya - who buys a beat up axe, fixes it, gold plates it, and puts on some sparklies to sell it at a price higher than what she paid for it...

mind you, the premise is a good one... it's find and fix and occasionally steal; the setting is appealing and the storyline fairly well developed... i have to admit, though, i felt like arnold scwarzeneggar was reading me a bedtime story during the dialogue cuts

some quibbles i have with the game itself - the "goals" tab in the top left is really small and difficult to keep up with - very different from everything else in the game which is large and easy to read... i never have to guess how much gold i have, how many workers are running around, or how much the merchant wants to sell me something for... so why do i have to squint to check my progress? to recheck the goals themselves?

and i was a bit worried about beating the monkeys with sticks... isn't there some better way to deal with them?

anyway - in the demo time i was able to complete the first chapter [only replaying one level to achieve a gold star rating] and purchase an upgrade from the shop - a better merchant who brings three items for you to peruse rather than only two... i couldn't get cedric to go into the cave in the mountain - when i tried the game shut down on me and told me it as over... so i picked up there and opted to skip the cave to finish the 'woods' location...

not sure if this is one for my pile - will have to think on it... but all in all, a fairly good game!

NormaNorman
Minnow
Minnow
224 Posts

[Post New]by NormaNorman on Nov 28, 10 8:57 PM
I like this game a lot as well in spite of it being "too busy" at times. It helps that I use an auto-clicker to tame the monkeys.

A couple tips for those who've not noticed. You can replay any level to increase gold, and often (in latter levels) you can gamble for extra crystals in subsequent games as well.

Items stack seemly without limit. If you hover your mouse over a stack it will expand into an array of it's contents giving you the opportunity to pick and choose from that stack. Stacks will form automatically at the smithy. This can be extra helpful on the killer cave levels.

Probably due to the above you can also substitute items pretty freely even if all your spaces are full. Just hold the item over the one you are wanting to substitute, and when you see the blue aura drop the item.

This had different results, so experiment with it to find out all it can do. One nice thing it will do is when all your rental spaces are filled you can stack items in the market, and they will automatically come up as items above them sell.

Have fun, and good luck with the golds!

Eisteepfirsich
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,584 Posts

[Post New]by Eisteepfirsich on Nov 30, 10 9:28 AM
I like this game. I wish Bigfishgames would also offer the first game again (it was avaiable before a few weeks on the german bigfishsite, but its gone, I don`t know why). The graphic is average, but the gameplay is superb. I recommend it to all tm/strategy-lovers.

Edited on 11/30/2010 at 9:29:03 AM PST

[Post New]by CathrineStar on Nov 30, 10 12:22 PM
Eisteepfirsich wrote:I like this game. I wish Bigfishgames would also offer the first game again (it was avaiable before a few weeks on the german bigfishsite, but its gone, I don`t know why). The graphic is average, but the gameplay is superb. I recommend it to all tm/strategy-lovers.

you can however find it elsewhere. I even found the developers site

Eisteepfirsich
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,584 Posts

[Post New]by Eisteepfirsich on Nov 30, 10 1:21 PM
CathrineStar wrote:you can however find it elsewhere. I even found the developers site

Yes, I know, but I would love to buy it from bigfishgames. I have wrote a message to the supportteam with the question why they have moved the game away from the german bigfishsite. Thanks for your answer

Yaelle
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,317 Posts

I LOVE this game!!

[Post New]by Yaelle on Dec 3, 10 4:28 AM
I'm going to explain why I cannot get into the exact reasons why I like this game so much & maybe you'll see just how good it is:
It is 7:25am. I did not go to sleep last night because I was playing King's Smith 2 from 4am until just now. (Actually I would have gone to bed around 530) I played it for almost 3 solid hours. About 2 hours into it, I realized that my trial had not expired, I dont know what that was all about. So after I really HAD to go, I exited out & then it told me the trial time was up. I gladly spent my game club credit on this.
And if I were more awake, maybe I could better explain why. lol

Update 6 weeks later: I am STILL playing this game! I love it. And I still cant explain exactly why. But I do want to say that I became so enamored with this game that I decided to search for & try out part 1 - whoa. First of all, that entire game used a font that was almost completely unreadable. I'm only 34, I can imagine what someone older with imperfect vision would go through trying to read the in-game chatter. BUT that is the least of the problems for part 1. It just made me sad because I wanted to like it as much as this one...So I have just replayed & tried to get gold on everything, goals like that just to keep on playing.

Edited on 01/19/2011 at 1:38:25 AM PST

Go to: