lynnestock
Squid
Squid
79 Posts

Adventure game virgin

[Post New]by lynnestock on Nov 25, 10 2:35 AM
Would this be a good game to start my voyage into the adventure games? I am an avid IHOG player and love them. I have a couple of adventure games (i.e. Nancy Drew, Sinking Island & Return to Mystery Island), but so far found them too difficult and always have to refer to the walkthrough which sometimes spoils the enjoyment.

tuskel
Minnow
Minnow
257 Posts

Re:Adventure game virgin

[Post New]by tuskel on Nov 25, 10 2:57 AM
Hello,

While I haven't played the Treasure Island game yet (I did buy it), I must say that I am a huge Nancy Drew fan and I always have to refer to a walkthrough at least once. It hasn't put me off playing them. In fact, I can't stand the usual HOGs anymore, and I used to love them; that's how I discovred BFG. If you like HOGs, then Nancy Drew Dossier games would be great for you. They are something between adventure and HOGs, with lots of fun minigames.

However, if walkthroughs are putting you off (and they tend to a bit, I guess, because you get spoilers of things you haven't done yet while you are trying to find the clue you need), then try Universal Hint System. It's not your usual written walkthrough, just a series of hints you can reaveal one at a time. They do give you a solution as well, if you really cannot do it. Just type the name of your game and UHS into the famous search engine beginning with G, and it should come up. I just looked and they did have Destination: Treasure Island.

Hope I helped a little bit! Happy gaming!

kerli,
sincerely

lynnestock
Squid
Squid
79 Posts

[Post New]by lynnestock on Nov 25, 10 5:27 AM
That's so helpful, thank you very much. I have both Dossier games and really love them. Got Syberia, but its such a slog having to refer to walkthrough. I am looking for an "easy" adventure game to get me started.

robin94122
Salmon
Salmon
2,810 Posts

[Post New]by robin94122 on Nov 25, 10 9:00 AM
lynnestock wrote:That's so helpful, thank you very much. I have both Dossier games and really love them. Got Syberia, but its such a slog having to refer to walkthrough. I am looking for an "easy" adventure game to get me started.

This one is definitely easier than Syberia (for one thing, it has a great map feature so you can go directly from one location to another without having to remember all the twists and turns). But it is a full scale adventure.

You might want to start first with one of the "guided adventures" which have hints and/or a journal that hellp guide you.

Some good choices are:
Robin's Quest
Mystery Age: the Dark Priests
Alabama Smith: Escape from Pompeii
Hidden Mysteries; the Fateful Voyage Titantic

or, of course, the Mystery Case Files series starting with Ravenhearst.

The Dossier games are intentionally very different than regular Nancy Drew adventures, so that's not quite as much of a guide to what you'll like. In particular, the Dossiser games rely much less on puzzles and are more linear, so they avoid the typical adventure game moment of "What do I do NOW? I thought I'd done everything!" that is just part of adventure game play.

Guided adventures often have Hidden Object Scenes mixed in, but a strong adventure component. The most important aspect is that they are "nonlinear" games--you decide which locations to visit when, and you often have to go back to a location several times during the game.

If you've already played those and like them, then I do think Destination: Treasure Island is a good introduction to fullscale adventuring. No Hidden Object Scenes, and a lot of puzzling things out.

Remember to look everywhere, including up!

This game is also both unusual and clever in that the story truly does branch if you make different choices at some points. And I thought the story was very good. It takes place after the events of the novel, but with some of the same characters.

As far as walkthroughs go...I think most adventure game fans do use them occasionally. But that's up to you.

Robin

Edited on 11/25/2010 at 9:01:53 AM PST

Makaviti
Guppy
Guppy
119 Posts

[Post New]by Makaviti on Nov 25, 10 12:34 PM
It's not available thru BFG (though it would be great if they got it) but Monkey Island 3: Curse of Monkey Island is great for getting started. There's a lot of humor so even when you get stuck, you are entertained. The other Monkey Island games are fun too, but 3 is the best.

Actually, MI3 is a bit older now...maybe BFG could get the rights to sell it here?

Go to: