bfgFlounder
12,864 Posts

Hidden Mysteries: Salem Secrets

[Post New]by bfgFlounder on Nov 26, 10 12:05 AM
Help Constable Hawthorne investigate the rumors of witchcraft in Hidden Mysteries – Salem Secrets, a fun Hidden Object Puzzle Adventure game! Four young girls have been suffering from an outbreak of mysterious fits and bizarre tantrums. Rumors abound that the girls have been "afflicted" by local practitioners of Witchcraft, but nobody has yet been charged or tried. Investigate the scenes and uncover the Hidden Mysteries!

annepat
Seahorse
Seahorse
30 Posts

Re:Hidden Mysteries: Salem Secrets

[Post New]by annepat on Nov 26, 10 12:11 AM
Game won't download, error message 762-509

nomatt
Herring
Herring
377 Posts

[Post New]by nomatt on Nov 26, 10 12:41 AM
Same here but eventually I got it. I think I'm a little dissapointed with it. Only played 20 minutes so haven't really given it a chance but those sparkles! Why don't developers give the option to turn them off? Completely ruins the game for me, I just can't be bothered to carry on with it, might try again later. It may as well have a 'finish' button, the sparkles hold your hand all the time. In my 20 minutes there were no mini games or puzzles but like I say, I haven't given it much chance really.

shadowfax44
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
21,885 Posts

[Post New]by shadowfax44 on Nov 26, 10 12:53 AM
I played the beta and really liked it despite the sparkles, which I don't like either. It looks like it is going to be a good game anyway... I already bought it! I have been waiting for this one to come out....

Rose151
Clownfish
Clownfish
520 Posts

[Post New]by Rose151 on Nov 26, 10 12:59 AM
I've played 30 minutes of the trial and it will be a buy for me! Running WIN7 and no problems whatsoever. When I "try" a game, I always stop and leave in the middle of an **** section to be sure that when I go back the items that I've already found are counted and I don't have to begin that part again. This game lets you do that.
@Nomatt, while the sparkles are a nuisance, they may be of help to newer players but I do agree that with seasoned HOG fans they can be bothersome. I haven't reached a puzzle or mini game either. While I hope there are some, the game will still be worth it to me if there aren't.

Edited on 11/26/2010 at 1:00:30 AM PST

[Post New]by MaggieBau on Nov 26, 10 6:16 AM
When will we get a walkthrough?

geri_mac
Minnow
Minnow
259 Posts

[Post New]by geri_mac on Nov 26, 10 6:30 AM
hopefully soon, Im so stuck but does anyone know how long it is

kab1
Sea Anemone
Sea Anemone
5 Posts

[Post New]by kab1 on Nov 26, 10 6:47 AM
Im also stuck,cant find the whip to move the horse and cant find a way to open the gate at the mill. Im wandering round and round and round... awe

bella81762
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
24,424 Posts

[Post New]by bella81762 on Nov 26, 10 6:53 AM
can anyone tell me wherethe crowbar is

michelha75
Squid
Squid
69 Posts

[Post New]by michelha75 on Nov 26, 10 7:08 AM
bella81762 wrote:can anyone tell me wherethe crowbar is

the crowbar is hanging in the stables near the entrance of town.

the whip you find in the mill bottom floor in hidden object scene.

the gate at the mill if i remember correctly is just a chain? you use the metal cutters that you found in the blacksmith area (the room just before the stables at entrance of town)

Hope this helps

alohak
Seahorse
Seahorse
39 Posts

[Post New]by alohak on Nov 26, 10 2:42 PM
I read in another post that someone said it took them 9 hours. Hope that helps.

vkacademy
Guppy
Guppy
105 Posts

[Post New]by vkacademy on Nov 26, 10 8:23 PM
I must just be lousy at these games. I wandered around for the whole game, managed to open one door (the stables) and make a scarecrow. That was it. Could not use any other items (saw, knife, scissors, cotton, pins). Don't want to spend the whole game consulting a walkthrough, so no-buy for me.

alohak
Seahorse
Seahorse
39 Posts

[Post New]by alohak on Nov 27, 10 6:25 PM
that's too funny. I understand but I think part of the fun is going back and forth and trying different things that don't work and finally figuring it out. The walkthrough really helps if you get really stuck. I like a challenge.

janad
Sea Anemone
Sea Anemone
5 Posts

[Post New]by janad on Nov 27, 10 10:35 PM
I need help please.....my game does not have a task bar....I have looked at options and there is nothing there to turn it off or on.

I have used the cotton and that is all...I have been in every room and nothing else is there.

Also on the map...people keep saying it lights up.... all I have is the red blinking circle.

I can't go any further...no book, no tutorial....I bought the dang game at a store...so shouldn't it be the "real" game? I don't understand why it doesn't have a task bar.

robin94122
Salmon
Salmon
2,810 Posts

[Post New]by robin94122 on Nov 27, 10 11:02 PM
janad wrote:I need help please.....my game does not have a task bar....I have looked at options and there is nothing there to turn it off or on.

I have used the cotton and that is all...I have been in every room and nothing else is there.

Also on the map...people keep saying it lights up.... all I have is the red blinking circle.

I can't go any further...no book, no tutorial....I bought the dang game at a store...so shouldn't it be the "real" game? I don't understand why it doesn't have a task bar.

If you look at the Blog Walkthrough posted free here at Big Fish Games the first marked screenshot in the General Tips shows you the different parts of the HINT system and explains how they work.

Along the bottom of the screen you should see your Journal in the lower left corner, then the inventory bar, then your Task List, then the Map.

You have to click on the Task List to open it, just as you do with the Map.

The Map will have a red dot to show you your current position. IF there is a Hidden Object Scene currently available it will show with a white sparkle. But it may be that you have inventory tasks to do first, so there isn't always a sparkle.

There are several parts of the HINT system to the game, so you might want to read the forum topic about it or the General Tips in the Blog Walkthrough. It can cut short a lot of thelost feeling. And of course you can always read the spoiler section of the Blog Walkthrough which gives step by step instructions for each chapter if you get really stuck.

http://www.bigfishgames.com/blog/hidden-mysteries-salem-secrets-walkthrough/

Robin

janad
Sea Anemone
Sea Anemone
5 Posts

[Post New]by janad on Nov 28, 10 12:09 AM
On my game the bottom of the screen has the following:

journal (hit this and the journal opens...there are two tabs...one is journal and the other one is map).

inventory bar

tips

I don't have a task button

robin94122
Salmon
Salmon
2,810 Posts

[Post New]by robin94122 on Nov 28, 10 9:47 AM
The book that is right next to the Map in the lower right has three sections: TASKS, the Journal, and the Map. This means the Journal and The Map are available two different ways, from their individual icons, or form inside the Task boiok.

But the Task list is available inside this book only (the on on the lower right, not the lower left).

If you click on that book and you don't see the task list, click on the tab that says TASKS and you'll see it.

Robin

janad
Sea Anemone
Sea Anemone
5 Posts

[Post New]by janad on Nov 28, 10 3:11 PM
Robin, I know you think I am losing my mind, lol...but at the bottom left of my screen is the journal with only two tabs...then the menu icon...then the inventory in the middle and at the right is a big round ring with the word hints...I do not have anything that says tasks....

The game box I have had no book in the front of the disc box.

The front of the box has a girl standing behind a fence looking at the church...at the bottom of the box it says witch trails of 1692. Is this a different game than what you are talking about?

I read a little of the walkthrough and it seems to match except for one part....in the barn where the hay is....the upper portion of the barn does not have any ladder to get up to it....in your directions it seems to have a way up....on this game there is not way up (apparently I will be finding a ladder later on in the game)...

I am sorry to bug you ... but I just wonder if I got a knock off game or something. I got it at walmart but you never know.

robin94122
Salmon
Salmon
2,810 Posts

[Post New]by robin94122 on Nov 28, 10 3:40 PM
Janad,

I'm sorry, I can only comment on the downloadable version of the game available here at Big Fish Games. These are quite often somewhat different than versions available for purchase in stores. The walkthrough posted here goes with the version sold here as a download.

Robin

BGOVEA
Starfish
Starfish
43 Posts

[Post New]by BGOVEA on Nov 29, 10 12:28 AM
I don't know why you wouldn't have the tasks list on the lower right next to the map. It sort of looks like a large post it list but the word task is under it. As Robin mentioned, there is also a task list in the journal but if you only have two tabs and not three maybe the task list was added to the game later. It definitely is included in the download from BFG. The only thing I can suggest is that you create your own as you go.

Go to: