peglegann
Stingray
Stingray
5,174 Posts

Halloween has come and gone

[Post New]by peglegann on Nov 26, 10 6:06 AM
Am I the only one who is tired of the devs using drab scenes/sepia type for games at the moment? I agree with Cherb, a little more colour would not go amiss. We are galloping towards Christmas, hopefully the games WILL get a little more colourful!! LOL!

Kalavinka
Clownfish
Clownfish
683 Posts

Re:Halloween has come and gone

[Post New]by Kalavinka on Nov 26, 10 6:28 AM
No-- Halloween is still technically here. The demons that were released on all Hallows will stick around until the Feast of the Epiphany. They like to raise havoc with Christmas celebrations. They particularly like to saw down your Christmas tree (because they think that it is the tree of life) and start fires. This is why some people use chalk above the door on the Epiphany-- to symbolize that the fun is finally over and that the demons can no longer come in. Christmas is just as liminal a period as Halloween. Indeed, in some traditions there is a demon named Krumpus who comes down the chimney to drag bad little boys and girls off to hell.... If you get coal in your stocking- this means that you are getting close to this fate and so you better behave better next year. No indeed-- Christmas is terrifying.

Ever read Scrooge????

Edited on 11/26/2010 at 6:31:54 AM PST

peglegann
Stingray
Stingray
5,174 Posts

[Post New]by peglegann on Nov 26, 10 6:39 AM
Kalavinka wrote:No-- Halloween is still technically here. The demons that were released on all Hallows will stick around until the Feast of the Epiphany. They like to raise havoc with Christmas celebrations. They particularly like to saw down your Christmas tree (because they think that it is the tree of life) and start fires. This is why some people use chalk above the door on the Epiphany-- to symbolize that the fun is finally over and that the demons can no longer come in. Christmas is just as liminal a period as Halloween. Indeed, in some traditions there is a demon named Krumpus who comes down the chimney to drag bad little boys and girls off to hell.... If you get coal in your stocking- this means that you are getting close to this fate and so you better behave better next year. No indeed-- Christmas is terrifying.

Ever read Scrooge????

There always has to be a clever one! LOL! Nicely written. Yes. I am lucky enough to have a complete set of Charles Dickens, that was my Grandmother's. Dated in the 1800's. Beautiful books with paper between the drawings and the printing.
I still say the Dev's need to lighten up for a while!

Kalavinka
Clownfish
Clownfish
683 Posts

[Post New]by Kalavinka on Nov 26, 10 6:49 AM
Well-- you know me, I would not want anyone to spend Christmas not being terrified... Krumpus is so much more compelling than Santa Clause. I miss the days when Christmas was actually punitive.

Also, you are lucky to have such wonderful books... I also love Dickens and am glad that you can enjoy them.

Incidentally, I agree-- there has been a slew of dark themed games as of late. Variety is always a good thing! One gets bored with the same sort of thing over and over again.

-Kala

Edited on 11/26/2010 at 6:52:17 AM PST

celticwolf55
Guppy
Guppy
122 Posts

[Post New]by celticwolf55 on Nov 26, 10 8:34 AM
Congratulations on such a valuable collection of Dickens. Your grandmother obviously recognized their value and took special care to preserve them for posterity. As far as the dark games go...I disagree...I love them...the creepier the better. Makes life seem brighter by comparison. These are dark times we live in and a short divergence into the realm of spooks and creeps is a reminder of how nice we really have it. But that is just my opinion. Each to his own. I enjoy the mysterious games. I say, "bring 'em on"

annita33
Narwhal
Narwhal
34,725 Posts

[Post New]by annita33 on Nov 26, 10 9:36 AM
I'm with you Celticwolf I love the dark games many people must love them too or else the devs wouldn't be making so many of them. Peglegann you are right you sure are lucky to have such wonderful books I would be scared to touch them do you have them on display or stored safely away?

Kalavinka
Clownfish
Clownfish
683 Posts

[Post New]by Kalavinka on Nov 26, 10 9:49 AM
I love the dark games too-- Incidentally, did I not read that A Christmas Carol is going to be made into a HOG-- and a creepy one at that?

AshleyD1979
Guppy
Guppy
150 Posts

[Post New]by AshleyD1979 on Nov 26, 10 12:22 PM
Kalavinka wrote:I love the dark games too-- Incidentally, did I not read that A Christmas Carol is going to be made into a HOG-- and a creepy one at that?

If that's true, that will be AWESOME! I LOVE that story line and I bet it would make one heck of an awesome game. If done right, that is. We don't want another Wizard of Oz-esque debacle where a classic is butchered. lol

alohak
Seahorse
Seahorse
39 Posts

[Post New]by alohak on Nov 26, 10 2:45 PM
I couldn't agree more with the Wizard of Oz comment. That was such a shame and a waste because it could have been really good.

[Post New]by Pijwijgeon on Nov 26, 10 4:06 PM
I, for one, seek out the scary/spooky games first. My favorite holiday is Halloween and it's nice to have so many horror themed games year round. To the developers...keep the scary ones coming! I LOVE them!

[Post New]by speedmomsc on Jun 26, 11 11:50 AM
I think the developers should consider the opinions of others who don't care for these dark games. It's apparent that those who are drawn to darkness for one reason or another generally would approve of such games; but I don't agree that just because Big Fish is creating more of these dark games, then most people must want them. Some may feel too intimidated to speak out. I personally believe that everyone has the choice to like what they like, but there should also be a healthy respect displayed for all tastes when developing games; if respect for all members is the aim of Big Fish.

Go to: