Kalavinka
Clownfish
Clownfish
683 Posts

Why do I have to do stupid chores?

[Post New]by Kalavinka on Nov 26, 10 6:19 AM
So far I am really enjoying the game. There are lots of puzzles, of varying levels of difficulty, neat visuals, and an interesting storyline. The little dog is hilarious. The blending of graphic with filmed elements is really smooth-- No wonder this thing took so long to download.

If I have a criticism it is that I am being forced to do chores for the various characters-- for the maid, groundskeeper, etc.. I know that a lot of HOGs are based on such activities, e.g. if you collect all of the fallen apples so that grandma can bake a pie than I will give you a clue... Sorry but I see this as a sign of lazy/sloppy writing. This just seems absurd. Would a detective really need to do simple house chores upon entering the residence where an abduction has taken place? Also, how do such things contribute to the creation of plot and atmosphere? At best is it is a time filler-- at worst a distraction from the game. I wish developers would think about how silly this is in these sorts of games. There are some games where it works (fixer upper sorts of games)-- but not here.

I do think that this distracts from an otherwise outstanding game. Indeed, one of the things that I appreciate most about the MCF games is that they do not generally have these elements.... So, why the sudden change in formula?

-Kala

Re:Why do I have to do stupid chores?

[Post New]by Coronagold on Nov 26, 10 6:30 AM
Silence, wench! Iron my shirts!!

RaceCat3
Marlin
Marlin
9,644 Posts

[Post New]by RaceCat3 on Nov 26, 10 7:06 AM
Coronagold wrote:Silence, wench! Iron my shirts!!

My coffee almost ended up on my screen! LOL On the other hand, by being the "maid's maid", I familiarized myself with the mansion. Not such a bad thing.

Kalavinka
Clownfish
Clownfish
683 Posts

[Post New]by Kalavinka on Nov 26, 10 7:13 AM
I still think that it's stupid.

Also, Iron your own shirts! I've got cleaning supplies to collect.

RaceCat3
Marlin
Marlin
9,644 Posts

[Post New]by RaceCat3 on Nov 26, 10 7:21 AM
Almost forgot, what's an iron??

Kalavinka
Clownfish
Clownfish
683 Posts

[Post New]by Kalavinka on Nov 26, 10 8:04 AM
It's that thing that is always next to the crowbar....

scarlet_11dy6
Flounder
Flounder
2,031 Posts

[Post New]by scarlet_11dy6 on Nov 26, 10 9:33 PM
Never in a million yrs did I think I would type these words....I agree w/ Kalavinka LOL

It is a tired, trite device to pad the game w/ re-visiting all the locations you've already been in to find something new & waste 10 min. Since BFG & its MCF series is supposed to be the "gold standard" & "raises the bar", they should be far beyond such elementary nonsense. Better is expected of them & IMHO this game failed to deliver. It was obvs in the demo that coming soon was going to be the old "find 10 crayons in the house" directive, as well as find 10 of lots of other things, too, as there seemed to be an abudance of mousetraps & wine glasses lying around. I can't even say we're "not in Huntsville anymore" w/ such time-wasting chores; we're patently in Pirateville. Esp considering the plotline....

"Make yourself useful", indeed....hello, I'm the Master Detective (tho I had no letter from the Queen this time telling me to go to Louisiana, so I dunno why I'm even here). I am being useful by looking around for the disappeared dude. I don't have the time to go into the pantry & fetch that fresh bar of beige soap (that replaced the frothy green one from the beta b/c ppl prolly complained it looked too much like a frog) just to make your life EZ-ier, & BTW, you suck at cleaning b/c look at this place, the only thing that looks clean is the new sconce & switch BFG hurled in at the top of the cellar stairs b/c in the beta you couldn't go down there sans a light bulb but ooops they forgot a light fixture LOL) why don't YOU make yourself useful? And jeez, next time don't go to the Dollar Store for a Halloween wig, OK, Scarlett? Oy.

KathyD56
Guppy
Guppy
137 Posts

[Post New]by KathyD56 on Nov 26, 10 9:36 PM
I agree--why do so games always have the dumbest things to do. You think they could come up with some interesting, spooky things. Finding bars of soap and crayons is really dull.

vingilot
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,175 Posts

[Post New]by vingilot on Nov 27, 10 6:43 AM
Ok, here's my take on this. I thought the same thing at first - why would a detective be doing chores for these people? Seemed like filler, and in a way it is. There are a couple of things to keep in mind though: she's a British detective. It seems she took this job as a sort of 'vacation' from her usual work and to thaw out from the snow of DG. What detective can pass up a good mystery? She has no letter from the queen and is not working in conjuncture with the FBI. She can flash her badge all she wants - as soon as the locals see she's a Brit detective, they're going to know she has no jurisdiction there and she can hardly force her hand to get them to talk. Being a master detective, and therefore an expert on human psychology, she realizes that displaying some Southern hospitality - helping out - will get her much farther in her investigation than a badge will. That Mrs. Lawson rebukes the detective for running all these chores instead of finding her husband is a big wink and a nod from the developers that they realize the player is likely thinking the same thing at this point too.

To me, it makes more sense that the detective would take this route to get on their good sides to get information, rather than the locals just coughing it up to a total stranger for no reason. They know nothing of a missing man - it's not in the papers, despite Mrs. Lawson's protests (we read an article about a town hero, and the annual Fall festival, in which the mayor played a game of tossing toilet seat heads, lol), and the only flyer, which she supposedly posted all around town, is seen on the porch of the Lawson's home.

Helping Magnolia, a scared little girl who's just been traumatized by her father's disappearance, makes sense in it's own right. The maid and the groundskeeper are a little harder to swallow, but the maid is given incentive to hide things, and the groundskeeper has that kind of crotchety personality that takes no guff from anyone. I can just as easily see him giving the FBI just as hard of a time as the detective.

Rainbow722
Flounder
Flounder
2,404 Posts

[Post New]by Rainbow722 on Nov 27, 10 7:19 AM
@ Vingilot: Good explanation! Plus, who could resist asking someone else to do their work?

Comes down to the old saying you scratch my back and I'll scratch yours!

daksmom2u
Seahorse
Seahorse
26 Posts

[Post New]by daksmom2u on Nov 28, 10 10:17 AM
I have to agree with the comments posted here. never really see mary doing anything except dusting and sweeping the same spot over and over. as for henry stop already. you got the leaves raked up so move on. sheesh. would never hire either as help.

jobynana
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,017 Posts

[Post New]by jobynana on Nov 28, 10 10:27 AM
ROFLMAO @ Scarlet (you know your posts make me howl) and vingilot for the very passable explanation ( ).

I thought the same and was very annoyed when the wife made some derogatory comment about me running chores - like I wanted to do them! However, I was far too much distracted by Mrs Lee's wig, which, I thought, at some point would be whisked off to reveal she was some descendant of Crown (or maybe Susan Sarrandon's grandmother ). Nope, didn't happen, just a very bad wig!

Edited on 11/28/2010 at 10:37:08 AM PST

Go to: