peglegann
Stingray
Stingray
5,174 Posts

Your Comments and Reviews for Jane Lucky

[Post New]by peglegann on Nov 28, 10 12:53 AM
What a lovely change today. A colourful game! This appears to be a straight HOG, finding items, in a circle, to make up a medicine chest etc. Other scenes it is a straight list of items to find. The only puzzle I came upon so far was the usual gear puzzle, very easy. Graphics are clear, making most items easy to find. Penalty for misclicking. Did not need to use the hint so forgot to check this. It is so different from the recent HOG's that it is probably a buy for me. That is my comment/review, others will provide a more indepth one as usual. Happy gaming.

Edited on 11/28/2010 at 10:03:34 AM PST

doctorgood
Clownfish
Clownfish
589 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Jane Lucky

[Post New]by doctorgood on Nov 28, 10 1:44 AM
It is very colorful and bright as Peglegann has pointed out! This should be a big plus for some of our fishies that have various sight problems. The cursor does have a very short penalty but you really have to abuse it to get it do do the "floaty dance" thing. The music is tolerable ( I guess, because it didn't annoy me.)
There's not a real heavy plot to the story but it's okay. ( No grandpas! but there is an old archaeologist that could pass for one that needs help right from the start ! )
A team of archaeologists ( here after known as arkys,..... I type with one finger! ) are kidnapped by terrorists in some jungle somewhere and have to survive and escape.
It's a FROG / HOG with puzzles. The first one encountered is a gear puzzle which, as Ann has pointed out, is relatively easy........But one of my gears was completely off the screen except for the very tip of two teeth!! I went nuts trying to get it to work until I found the other gear. There is too many misplaced, junkpile items but all in all it ain't bad! Definitely do a trial. There's a good chance you'll like it / buy it.
This review is based on 43 min. of game play
Dr.good
p.s. Another big plus..................the arkys aren't in Egypt!!!!

cherbtoo
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
22,629 Posts

[Post New]by cherbtoo on Nov 28, 10 1:51 AM
Terrorists take over your archeological dig - no missing grandfather but the professor has been kidnapped .

OK four items into the game and the custom cursor just had to go as it was too sluggish but at least the system cursor changes into a hand when you need it to so I have played happily with that one since.

The graphics are nice and clear and have some colour and the background music is pleasant and already set at an acceptable level so I have had it on for the full hour .

The voices were very good too but alas they don't continue all through the game possibly this is a glitch as they did come back briefly but vanished again so you just have to read the text ... don't look at their mouths as they continue moving until you exit the scene and it seems really weird so keep your eyes on the text.

There was one thing I found extremely annoying and that was the hints magnifying glass icon ... it is constantly, nonstop, endlessly, permanently revolving grrrrr.

The hints are recargeable but random clicking results in "If you click randomly you will be fined and your cursor switched off for a few seconds". Well I wonder where they are going to get the money from because I haven't noticed that I have been earning any .

In the scenes where you have to put the objects into a circle you only have to click the object and it makes its way to the circle on its own so there is no dragging involved

There is one aspect that particularly pleases me and that is that when you open a cupboard you can shut it again , I love this as I really hate leaving them open even in games .

Yes I have bought it because overall it was a game.

Cherb

budordee
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
18 Posts

[Post New]by budordee on Nov 28, 10 3:06 AM
I just feel "Lucky" that there was a trial version to play -- would hate to have wasted my money on this one! Too cartoony, the characters mouth movements were annoying and the objects in the 'wheel' of objects to find were too small. There just wasn't a fun-factor for me.

Poutoule
Archerfish
Archerfish
41,630 Posts

[Post New]by Poutoule on Nov 28, 10 3:23 AM
Well, I guess I'll be the bad one in this forum. What an incredebly boring game. Nice, clear graphics, good voices. Terrorists now, we hadn't tried that yet, glad the girl didn't take her grandfather with her, or he would have been the first one to be missing. It's obvious that, if I had been caught by terrorists, I would go in the jungle to pick up a bunch of flowers and in the meantime get rid of traps, as dangerous for men and beasts, as a mouse trap. Objects are so easy to find, they kind of jump right into your face. There's bound to be a grandfather as there's a straight razor, Christ almighty, just show me one person still using that ( apart the ones intending to cut throats of course). Cerise sur le gâteau : I'm sick and tired of gears games, may be further on you'll have to connect electricity in order to torture some of the hostages or terrorists. And obviously there's the "good" terrorist, who ended there after a cruel life. No, no, no, that's a bit too much. Ask the hostages in Pakistan (if we ever see them again) to get a clear view of what terrorists are. Never though I would write that long but this game really made me cross.
Otherwise it might perfectly be enjoyable for people loving straight, easy hidden objects games.

bettums
Squid
Squid
72 Posts

[Post New]by bettums on Nov 28, 10 4:44 AM
This is also a no-buy for me. I thought it was incredibly stupid (dialogue esp.). I guess I am more into the games that get me thinking and annoy the crap out of me because I don't know where to go next. I played about 40 minutes of it and when it came to making the dummies, that's when I said "enough". I had a few "frozen" moments and I also hate the blinding light between tasks.

elldee2728
Shark
Shark
14,378 Posts

[Post New]by elldee2728 on Nov 28, 10 4:52 AM
Seems like this one had possibilities (graphics, fragmented objects like "Treasure Seekers"), but downhill from there. The intro scenes and plot setup were WAY too wordy. I was surprised at the abrupt halt to the voice-acting--one minute, a character's speaking, the next minute I'm READING the dialogue! Go figure! I couldn't quite get my hands around the storyline either--terrorists surrounding an archaeological dig site, an obviously wealthy crook wearing a hockey goalie's mask? (Maybe he didn't want to be recognized as having anything to do with this game!). Thirty minutes in and I said "No thanks."

Mostly HOG, with LOTS of dialogue.

Yosemite1956c
Guppy
Guppy
104 Posts

[Post New]by Yosemite1956c on Nov 28, 10 5:13 AM
OMG, OMG, WILL THE INANE DIALOGUE EVER STOP???!!!??? You spend more time clicking the arrows to get the dialogue to stop so you can finally try and play the game. And, then you realize what a stupid game it is.

Save your money folks.

Faylyn
Minnow
Minnow
259 Posts

[Post New]by Faylyn on Nov 28, 10 5:21 AM
I agree with the negative comments posted so far. In addition, I have a wide-screen and would have appreciated a wide-screen setting on this game instead of just the full screen. When I see there is a screen resolution problem, it's an immediate no buy for me as I don't want to have to keep changing resolutions to accommodate a game developer. The artwork is okay, I had no problem finding the H0, didn't get far enough to play a mini-game. I lasted maybe 7 minutes and clicked out of the game. Sorry, not for me.

krissywillow
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,084 Posts

[Post New]by krissywillow on Nov 28, 10 5:41 AM
It's pretty much one or the other--dark insane asylums/haunted houses (love that) or archeologists in jungles. I hate the archeologist theme, the graphics don't look appealing to me, and the reviews aren't that good. I'll pass on even trying the demo.

JanG7
Guppy
Guppy
110 Posts

[Post New]by JanG7 on Nov 28, 10 6:02 AM
The concept of this game is great, but they missed terribly in putting it all together. The dialogue is very annoying. Starts off with bad voice overs, which I normally over look, but then it stops and you have to read the rest.

The hidden object scenes are very easy (for those who have trouble seeing, like me) and the puzzles I have played so far were very simple.

I really like the graphics and the music is pleasant.

I'm up in the air about this one. I may just wait and use a credit or punch card on this one, Certainly isn't worth the $6.99. Would make a good DD.

[Post New]by LuvDemGames on Nov 28, 10 6:03 AM
Yosemite1956c wrote:OMG, OMG, WILL THE INANE DIALOGUE EVER STOP???!!!??? You spend more time clicking the arrows to get the dialogue to stop so you can finally try and play the game. And, then you realize what a stupid game it is.

Save your money folks.

Another inane game! The dialogue is so stupid it is laughable. Not only do we have to look for stuff in a junk pile, but we need to do it in the dark! Oh, yes, terrorists allow their prisoners to wander around at will, no tying them up or anything. NOT. Horrible game, no buy even for $2.99.

[Post New]by heatherington on Nov 28, 10 6:07 AM
I like the looks of the screenshots and I'm glad to hear the fishies like it okay. I'm going to buy cause it's my day off and I need a game to play. Thanks kids.

rainice
Minnow
Minnow
293 Posts

[Post New]by rainice on Nov 28, 10 6:08 AM
While this game is not perfect,others have mentioned the disappearing voice overs and slow load times,it is the type of game I enjoy and will definitely consider buying. I t has both FROG and HOG elements and so far two types of mini games both very easy. The one thing I enjoyed about it, is there are times when you get to choose in what order you explore locations. While I would have maybe liked a bit more interaction at least I wasn't completely frustrated as I often am at the very complex games. Objects are for me moderately easy to find and there are unlimited clues that renew quite quickly. One other element of the game that I appreciated, although it might not appeal to everyone is that as you completed tasks you were given encouragement for doing so. This game will not appeal to everyone but if you like simple straight forward games, have less than perfect vision or are new to this type of game. I would encourage you to give it a try.

sinshack
Flounder
Flounder
2,150 Posts

[Post New]by sinshack on Nov 28, 10 6:12 AM
cherbtoo wrote:There is one aspect that particularly pleases me and that is that when you open a cupboard you can shut it again , I love this as I really hate leaving them open even in games .

Yes I have bought it because overall it was a game.

Cherb

Cherbtoo, I love your comment about the cupboard doors. My youngest son is 15, and his whole life we've been able to tell that he's been in a room for just that reason - open cupboard doors! Drives me nuts!

I'm getting quite a backlog of nice little games like this one that I want to buy. I need to fill out 3 more punches in a card, so I'll see if there is another CE coming out in the next couple of days first, and if not I'll buy this one. If there is a CE, I'll wait for Wednesday and buy it then. This is a perfect game to play on a gloomy winter day.

ETA: I put a sticky note over the revolving magnifying glass. It stopped distracting me and I thought twice before using a hint!

Edited on 11/28/2010 at 6:15:18 AM PST

hannah57
Clownfish
Clownfish
760 Posts

[Post New]by hannah57 on Nov 28, 10 6:30 AM
I have to agree with all the negative comments also. I played the demo and have way through, I quit because even though you can click the x on top right of game to stop inane jabbering, I still didin't find this a well made game.some HOGs I can cope with, but this one was too dumb.

QEIII
Herring
Herring
329 Posts

[Post New]by QEIII on Nov 28, 10 6:56 AM
Well I quite enjoyed this game as I enjoy FROGs more than just HOG scenes over and over. I enjoyed the dialogue as well, its setting the scene and you can always skip over it. Thought the graphics were clear and the premise (the terrorists) a bit different.

I don't understand why people have to think a game has to be like real life - its just a device to get the game going and to bring in HOG or FROG scenes. Films do this too - its called a dramatic device then. Sure there are better games out there, but then again there are far, far worse games than this. 3 and a half from me.

[Post New]by kris_cross48 on Nov 28, 10 7:14 AM
This was a slow starter with all the chatting, and then the voiceless chatting but it was an interesting plot being set up. I also missed the real voices once they stopped.

The graphics were nicely done...different then we have seen lately with all the haunted this and dead that. Your stuck in the jungle with "terrorists". There is some problems with translation but nothing you can't think your way out of. Just oddies of speech.
As usual, there is a fair maiden who is always in this sexy pose as she talks about medicine and etc...I think the dev. needs to remember that a lot of us are not interested at all in looking at 20-something perfectlooking females who can't seem to change their cut out position..but I digress.
Mini-games are easy so far..not huge easy, but comfortable enough that you aren't always forced to skip them. Since I was in the 60 min mode, I rushed past a lot of info just to get deeper into the game before BFG cut me off.
I could do without the flashing of lights..it forced me to look away from the screen..get side tracked into washing clothes, and housework. Hey, I want to game, don't give me an excuse to look away, feel guilty and leave the game!
There really was too many times your searching in the dark. Yes, you have a flashlight but night vision is not one of my specialties and when your looking for a sliver of color in an object..it's all greyed out. The darkness does fit the plot however, I just wish that there were more opportunities to turn on the lights without the kidnappers getting excited.
All in all--pretty good game. I don't know how long it is or if the searching gets tiresome...its a little tiresome already. I much rather wander around like we did in Salem yesterday. That really was a nice game!
So, maybe yes to buy, may no..too bad it isn't a $2.99er special.
Chris

[Post New]by Coronagold on Nov 28, 10 7:31 AM
(The game, not the previous post.)

Edited on 11/28/2010 at 7:44:40 AM PST

burningswan
Lobster
Lobster
90 Posts

[Post New]by burningswan on Nov 28, 10 7:42 AM
The objects just crawl to the circle when found, but other than that and the dialogue, it is a straight HOG and I can enjoy it. Similar to treasure seekers. Somedays the simple game has enormous appeal.

Go to: