bfgImbrium
Manatee
Manatee
4,236 Posts

Your Comments and Reviews for The Mystery of the Dragon Prince

[Post New]by bfgImbrium on Nov 29, 10 12:18 AM
Hey Fishies! What do you think of The Mystery of the Dragon Prince? We value your reviews, as do many of the other fishies in our pond, so feel free to post your comments, opinions, hints and tips in this thread!

Remember, a lot of people who will be reading this thread will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

Happy gaming!

bfgImbrium

Edited on 11/29/2010 at 12:18:32 AM PST

tarbarme
Guppy
Guppy
198 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for The Mystery of the Dragon Prince

[Post New]by tarbarme on Nov 29, 10 12:23 AM
good looking game BUT there is NO skip button on the mini games. A major no buy for me.

lynwil
Guppy
Guppy
131 Posts

[Post New]by lynwil on Nov 29, 10 12:47 AM
I agree Tarbarme, I usually skip the mini games in my free hour and go back and try them if I buy the game.
The first mini game looked as if it was going to take me the rest of the hour to try and complete so no buy for me either!

[Post New]by trixiesmomma on Nov 29, 10 12:54 AM
I agree - no skip button, no buy!

Poutoule
Archerfish
Archerfish
41,630 Posts

[Post New]by Poutoule on Nov 29, 10 12:55 AM
Will give it a go. Downloading, but probably won't buy, had too much trouble with The Inquisitor, no skip button, wouldn't have been able to finish it without the help of my daughter who lives in Spain and only comes in France twice a year ! Took me 8 monghts to finish it...........

sadji
Seahorse
Seahorse
34 Posts

[Post New]by sadji on Nov 29, 10 1:00 AM
I agree too.

VolleymomDee
Squid
Squid
70 Posts

[Post New]by VolleymomDee on Nov 29, 10 1:05 AM
Grainy scenes; dark spots; difficult to find objects; no skip button; no map; sparkles where there is no hidden object scene; once the hint button referred me to a spot, and I never did find what I was supposed to do in that area. Mini boxes open in some areas for the hidden objects, which made everything microscopic to find.... a definite "no buy" for me.

doctorgood
Clownfish
Clownfish
589 Posts

[Post New]by doctorgood on Nov 29, 10 1:05 AM
Beautiful hand drawn bright graphics,really nice! The cursor works all the time,it doesn't have any fault mode. The hints recharge very slow (dumb!!!) and the game is mostly non-linear.

It's a HOG with a little IHOG and puzzles. You gather 3 or 4 items in HOG scenes to open a door or build a fire etc. The objects in the H0 scenes are very easy to find and the whole game has great graphic detail. I encountered 4 puzzles in my 32 min. of play. Two, "rearrange the pieces in a picture puzzles. One,"repeat the sequence" puzzle and one lock puzzle. None of them were extremely difficult but I truly hate Sequence puzzles. And.....you can't skip them, it has lousy directions and the hint system is disabled in the puzzles!!!

The story is decent but maybe overworked a little. A letter arrives by mail that is 200 years old!! WOO HOO!! A big mystery is afoot! It requests your presence to solve a mystery or save a prince or something along those lines. I don't pay much attention to them.

The music is tolerable... but just barely.

I liked this game a lot! But........I won't buy it because you can't skip the puzzles!! It's a real shame. If they had just added "skip" and gave better directions I would have given it a
Dr.good
p.s. there is only one mode of play, no advanced or relaxed

doctorgood
Clownfish
Clownfish
589 Posts

[Post New]by doctorgood on Nov 29, 10 1:10 AM
VolleymomDee wrote:Grainy scenes; dark spots; difficult to find objects; no skip button; no map; sparkles where there is no hidden object scene; once the hint button referred me to a spot, and I never did find what I was supposed to do in that area. Mini boxes open in some areas for the hidden objects, which made everything microscopic to find.... a definite "no buy" for me.

???????????????????????????????????????????????????????
I'm not sure we played the same game. Thought the graphics were very clear.
HMMM?
Dr.good

Chamuel82
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
13 Posts

[Post New]by Chamuel82 on Nov 29, 10 1:11 AM
The graphics aren't bad ! But a game not having a skip button for mini games like the other said is a major no no for me! Also I had to exit the game for 2 minutes and when I continued ( I was playing a H.O scene) I had to re start the H.O scene and the objects were the same! !

Edited on 11/29/2010 at 1:21:16 AM PST

fudgem
Starfish
Starfish
57 Posts

[Post New]by fudgem on Nov 29, 10 1:59 AM
Why do developers do something as dumb as not having a skip button?

I always read comments before I try a game, and this one is a definite pass, I rarely like the mini games and skip most of them

firebird40
Starfish
Starfish
57 Posts

[Post New]by firebird40 on Nov 29, 10 2:04 AM
I agree with the others- the game's graphics are nice, the story is interesting, and the nonlinear play is one of my favorite things, but without a skip button I feel like I am being held hostage to the mini games.

Played for about 30 minutes or a little more, until I got to a connect-the-pipes puzzle, which I absolutely hate.

A no-buy for me.

peglegann
Stingray
Stingray
5,174 Posts

[Post New]by peglegann on Nov 29, 10 2:05 AM
doctorgood wrote:
I liked this game a lot! But........I won't buy it because you can't skip the puzzles!! It's a real shame. If they had just added "skip" and gave better directions I would have given it a
Dr.good
p.s. there is only one mode of play, no advanced or relaxed

If there is no advanced or no relaxed, what is there?? LOL!

Could not resist that one

Poutoule
Archerfish
Archerfish
41,630 Posts

[Post New]by Poutoule on Nov 29, 10 2:12 AM
Chamuel82 wrote:The graphics aren't bad ! But a game not having a skip button for mini games like the other said is a major no no for me! Also I had to exit the game for 2 minutes and when I continued ( I was playing a H.O scene) I had to re start the H.O scene and the objects were the same! !
In most games, if not all, when you quit the game in the middle of doing something, you have to start it all over again, so that's no surprise.
I believe I could quite like the game. Very good graphics, objects fairly easy to find, played 20 minutes and 2 mini games. Rearrange paintings and a "repeat the sequence" game in order to climb up the stairs. I HATE sequences games. Turned the music off as I found it painful after a while. A lot of dialogues to start with, which, it becomes a habit, you can't skip. A perfectly incredible story but if the game is good... So it could be a buy if I find a walkthrough on another site (sorry ). These games with no skip button shouldn't exist, it sometimes makes you feel you're a perfect idiot...
When you want to move, wether you go backwards, forward or sideways, the arrow still points in front of you, straight forward, you have to move it round the scene, it's a little strange. No point in using hint button if you get stuck, it doesn't work, and as you get no intructions... Where on earth are the garden pruners ??!!

jkuci
Flounder
Flounder
2,447 Posts

[Post New]by jkuci on Nov 29, 10 2:18 AM

I agree with all the reviews complaining about no puzzle skip ability.
Other than that,I enjoyed the non-linear aspects, story and graphics.

I would have bought the game if there was puzzle skip ability.

peglegann
Stingray
Stingray
5,174 Posts

[Post New]by peglegann on Nov 29, 10 2:37 AM
Thank you fishies re the no skip button. I had not noticed. I love the first scene, it reminded me of Sword in the Stone, the cartoon version, when the washing up and putting away is done. I would love to just touch items in my house and they fly back into place! That really made me I agree that it appears simplistic and do wonder that the lack of skip button, which may throw me a little later. I want to find out about those "glass pieces". Everything else re the game has been said by a few of you, so..................... As a lovely US fishie gifted me 5 credits last week, I hope that they will not be offended by my wanting to buy this, with one of them. I like the difficulty of no map and no walkthrough, I am sure I will regret that As this is a basic game, i.e., not much in the settings part to change, I am hoping that, like a lot of games, they will run out of steam and the puzzles will stay as easy.
I have work to do first, and then will dive in. Happy gaming to all and wish me luck.

cherbtoo
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
22,629 Posts

[Post New]by cherbtoo on Nov 29, 10 2:47 AM
Sorry doctorgood but I didn't find the graphics bright at all, in fact some of the hidden object scenes were quite dark but, as all us "clicky pants" can just click away to our heart's content with no penalty , it was easy to find all the objects. It should be noted that some objects are hidden behind others and are not apparent on first look.

The graphics are not to my particular liking in that I wish they were sharper but they haven't been so bad that I had to stop playing out of frustration at not being able to see things properly and I played for 50 minutes. As for the music I turned it very low.

None of the puzzles I have encountered so far have been hard enough to require a skip button, even the simon says stair one was only for 3, 4 and 5 coloured steps so it was easy to remember if you put your cursor on the starting colour and the pipe puzzle I have just completed was easy too as all ends had to connect to another (I say this to help all who hate this type of puzzle complete it quicker, personally I love them and now I have the water for my potion) .

There are two things that are going to make me have to buy this game:

1. I want to see the dragon.

2. I really, really want to put all those pieces of glass that are lying all over the place together even though I find it annoying that I can't pick them up yet.

Cherb

Please can I have a refund if I encounter a puzzle I can't beat as there is no skip button .

Staril
Minnow
Minnow
227 Posts

[Post New]by Staril on Nov 29, 10 2:49 AM
I'm not sure whether I like this game or hate it ... strange I know. Some of the puzzles and scenes are sort of original ... which gets points in my book. But I really don't like not being able to skip puzzles and the small "windowed" H0 things really were too small for me. In general I found the graphics clear enough but it was virtually impossible for me to identify some of the H0 objects.

It's probably a no buy for me. The minus points are currently outweighing the plus ones ... and I'm stuck ... and there are no hints/clues in the general areas ... they only seem to work in the H0 scenes.

yasure
Minnow
Minnow
217 Posts

[Post New]by yasure on Nov 29, 10 3:52 AM
I agree wit the majority.
It is a NO BUY. Played about 30 minutes and just did not like it. It's got you running all over the place and what is with the pieces of glass? That you can't pick up???

peglegann
Stingray
Stingray
5,174 Posts

[Post New]by peglegann on Nov 29, 10 4:13 AM
I have bought this! Played for another hour, still have no idea how long it is. Unfortunately, I have just seen that there is a walkthrough. I must forget that it is there One thing that I do not like, as someone else said, is the fact I am not sure what all of the items are as, like 13th. Skull it does not tell you, very frustrating. (One of the reasons I do not like the new MCF) The game to me really is good fun!!!! Absolutely no hand holding, there are some extremely clear HOG scenes and some not so clear. If anyone needs to fill a card with one credit use it on this! I realise that I am in the minority today, but that is what the pond is like. I found the secateurs for the gardener!! I have not been able to pick up the pieces of glass yet, don't know if I ever will. I have met another funny person/creature so it is making me laugh. Have fun all, whatever you decide to do.

Go to: