bfgImbrium
Manatee
Manatee
4,236 Posts

Your Comments and Reviews for Garden Panic

[Post New]by bfgImbrium on Nov 30, 10 12:42 AM
Hey Fishies! What do you think of Garden Panic? We value your reviews, as do many of the other fishies in our pond, so feel free to post your comments, opinions, hints and tips in this thread!

Remember, a lot of people who will be reading this thread will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

Happy gaming!

bfgImbrium

FairyonPegasus
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,501 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Garden Panic

[Post New]by FairyonPegasus on Nov 30, 10 11:34 AM
It appears to be made by the same people that made Plants V Zombies. I'm having a good time with it, although it can be frustrating. Like why do the upgrades cost almost as much as a new plant? Shouldn't. Also several times I've ended levels with no strawberries munched on and didn't get the stars for upgrades. Also the tomato plants seem to be worthless, even after upgrades. Challenging, but fun. This will be on I'll go back to over and over if for nothing else than to beat my scores on a level.

[Post New]by LisaOther on Nov 30, 10 12:30 PM
Is this game like Garden Defense, but with a little bit of Plants v Zombies mixed in? I *loved* Garden Defense and kept hoping they would make another one...

Eisteepfirsich
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,584 Posts

[Post New]by Eisteepfirsich on Nov 30, 10 1:54 PM
This game is a little bit similar to Plants vs. Zombies, but easier and it doesn`t have the same charm. I recommend trying the trial time if you like that type of games. I will put it on my maybelist (games for later).

Cordia
Flounder
Flounder
2,009 Posts

[Post New]by Cordia on Nov 30, 10 9:55 PM
This is not done by the same folks that did Plants vs. Zombies, although one of the illustrations appears to be taken almost directly from it!

I played the demo and will be getting the game tomorrow. This is a Tower Defense game, which is a genre that is hugely underrepresented in download games. The localization is actually pretty hilarious, as the main point of the game is to defend your garden from "rodents" which are represented by.... bugs.

The gameplay is good enough- challenging without being impossible. I'd recommend Plants vs. Zombies over this one any day, but if you're jonesing for a new tower defense game, give this one a try.

[Post New]by flammable55 on Dec 1, 10 2:30 PM
The only thing I have against this game is that it keeps saying 'rodents', when it should clearly be 'bugs'. A rodent is a furry mammal such as a rat or rabbit, NOT a butterfly or ant.

Edited on 12/01/2010 at 2:30:39 PM PST

bella81762
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
24,424 Posts

[Post New]by bella81762 on Dec 3, 10 12:38 AM
is this game anything like "Bugbits" it was a very fun game...if anyone has played both could you tell me if they are simular

ember89
Flounder
Flounder
2,103 Posts

[Post New]by ember89 on Dec 10, 10 7:36 PM
the biggest reason i decided to check this one out is because i have absolutely so much fun playing plants vs. zombies and had to give it a whirl!

with the run about of a marble popper and the arcade action of PVZ, the game has a lot going for it... choosing where to place your plants, which ones to plant or upgrade, and trying to protect sometimes more than one strawberry bush can make for some interesting outcomes to say the least... levels can always be restarted at any time if the light bulb is a little late in coming - oh, yeah... so that's what that does...

there's the lab - for juicing up the old plants and picking up new ones... then there's your trophy case for all those little achievements... but best of all - tons of BUGS! grubs, butterflies, beetles, lice, ants... yes! all kinds of BUGS! and with a million different strategies to getting rid of them, the trick is to pick the best one and save every last strawberry! [although, some can get munched and you're still okay]

between the strategy and the pace, this game really packs a FUN wallop! i was shocked when the hour was up and had to dash off my remarks quickly so that i could get back to tending the garden

[Post New]by eringalloway52 on Dec 12, 10 7:50 PM
I am actually really enjoyng this game. However it is somewhat difficult. I have to repeat some levels a few times before I am able to figure out the best strategy. However it is somewhat nice to have to work at a game a little and not just breeze through every level.

If you are a fan of tower defense games this one is great!! More tower defense games please!!

[Post New]by felix1975 on Dec 13, 10 10:21 AM
Eisteepfirsich wrote:This game is a little bit similar to Plants vs. Zombies, but easier and it doesn`t have the same charm. I recommend trying the trial time if you like that type of games. I will put it on my maybelist (games for later).

I've found Garden panic to be way harder that PvsZ.
I wish it was changed so that if you don't/can't pass a level you can at least go onto to try the next one (like in PvsZ where if you can get past one mini-game then even if you can't do the next one, you can do the one after that and this unlocks the next one, so you're not halted from playing anymore of the game completely)

I love tower defense games, and GP has been fun and exciting, although at times frustrating at the sheer difficulty of some levels (specifically 9, 23 and 25 - which is where I'm stuck).

Like falmmable55 said, it bugs me that they call them rodents when they're not - they're bugs! (and a mushroom)
I also agree with FairyonPegasus, the upgrades should be cheaper and not cost as much as a new plant.
and I echo eringalloway52's comment - More tower defense games please!!

kitty1
Flounder
Flounder
2,194 Posts

[Post New]by kitty1 on Dec 14, 10 12:14 PM
Very nice to see a new Tower Defense game, (though it's listed as TM?)
As Cordia said--very few games of this genre on . Thought the directions could have been a little clearer--took a bit to figure out how to buy new plants etc. I also would have liked one faster speed as I felt i spent a lot of time just waiting around for the bugs to arrive. This one goes in my "maybe" pile.

amby0625
Clownfish
Clownfish
511 Posts

[Post New]by amby0625 on Dec 15, 10 4:51 AM
This game starts of really easy, but then gets really hard. I think its more similar to Garden Defense from iWin Games rather than Plants vs. Zombies from PopCap Games.

The similarities between Garden Panic & Garden Defense are:

They both defend their garden from bugs; with Garden Panic its a strawberry field on all levels (level 1-30), with Garden Defense its a rose bush, orchids or other flowers depending on the level.

You have the option of speeding up or slowing down the game; but with Garden Defense, there are 3 modes: slow, normal & fast whereas there are only 2 speeds for Garden Panic.

While Garden Panic only uses plants to defend the strawberry fields, Garden Defense is not limited to plants alone, there are gadgets & bug houses.

In Garden Panic, you earn experience every time you play a level; in Garden Defense, you earn skill points which you also use to buy upgrades in the lab.

Upgrading a plant gets more expensive in Garden Panic, and also in Garden Defense, but the cost of the plant remains the same, unlike in Garden Panic where the cost of the plant also increases.

You get different trophies in Garden Defense, depending on how many bugs survived; the same is true with Garden Panic but in Garden Panic, there are instances where you still get a gold (perfect) trophy even if your strawberries are not complete; but in Garden Defense, you can only get their gold trophy if none of the bugs survived.

In both games, each level contain "waves." In Garden Panic, you can see a picture and the number of bugs in each wave while in Garden Defense, you can't see a picture, but before the start of a wave, the game would indicate what to expect, for example, either fast/slow crawlers or fast/slow fliers, or a combination of both.

You can also see the health bar of the bugs on both games, but in Garden Defense, you can toggle this on or off.

These are just a few of the similarities that I can think of between the two; I hope other gamers who haven't had a chance to play Garden Defense would try it out.

Happy gaming everyone!

[Post New]by Cabbagepatcher on Jan 7, 11 6:54 PM
I'd just like to say that it really bugs me (or should I say, "rodents" me) that you can't save your game in the middle of a level. Some of the levels have 40-50 waves and you might be up to level 35 and have to log off to do something else, then you lose the whole level progress and have to start off when you come back. Really annoying, especially when the game runs slowly on your computer and it takes you a couple of hours to get through a level in the first place.

Stevihj
Clownfish
Clownfish
507 Posts

[Post New]by Stevihj on Jan 24, 11 9:56 AM
The graphics are well done. The gameplay is strategy/puzzle. You place plants that shoot at the rodents to protect your strawberry plants. The game is fun and addicting.

This game is an A-.

[Post New]by DamageInc356 on Feb 4, 11 4:09 AM
flammable55 wrote:The only thing I have against this game is that it keeps saying 'rodents', when it should clearly be 'bugs'. A rodent is a furry mammal such as a rat or rabbit, NOT a butterfly or ant.

Rabbits aren't rodents either. They're lagomorphs.

This game is not great looking and feels like a second-rate copy of both Plants & Zombies and Garden Defense, as mentioned above. The "rodent" thing bothers me way too much to ever consider buying it. Uninstalling.

[Post New]by Claycat on Mar 20, 11 9:39 AM
I have only tried the game. I like it but I'm hesitating to buy it for two reasons. One, I played several levels and never had access to any plants but the peashooters. Two, the time between waves of bugs is too slow, even when I increase the speed.

Daisy_May
Stingray
Stingray
5,050 Posts

[Post New]by Daisy_May on Jul 1, 11 7:48 AM
I made this post in CCC a couple of months ago, thought I'd copy it here in case it helps anyone:

On Garden Defense v. Garden Panic..... I tried GD first and definitely wanted it then tried GP, and wanted that too. Bought both (with coupons) but it is Garden Panic that I have become addicted to already. Nothing against GD, maybe just because I played GP most recently, but my suggestion is to demo both.

Although I loved Plants v. Zombies, one area which these games do better IMO is that AFAIK (because haven't finished it yet), in Pv.Z you are always planting things in straight lanes. In these 2 games, the layout of the garden path means that where you position your plants can make a major difference.

Scoring can be confusing in Garden Panic so here's an explanation for anyone trying it:

You get sunshine points every time you get rid of a bug and sunshine points allow you to upgrade an individual instance of a plant at a time.

How well you complete the level earns you XP (experience points) and every time those XP reach a new threshold you get 5 lab stars to spend, either on buying a new plant type or improving an existing plant type (so you don't get this every level, but the stats do show how far you need to go to the next lot of lab stars).

Improvements in the lab such as adding a critical damage function seem to only apply once you also upgrade a copy of that plant to that level in the garden, but upgrades such as wider attack radius made in the lab take effect on all plants of that type as soon as they are planted.

Because you have so many ways to vary your strategy (f.i. sometimes well upgraded peashooters are better than new plants) I have been happily playing the same levels over and over trying to get perfect before moving on.

Edited on 07/01/2011 at 8:04:07 AM PST

Daisy_May
Stingray
Stingray
5,050 Posts

[Post New]by Daisy_May on Jul 1, 11 8:02 AM
I see comments that, I think, are saying that the waves of bugs are too slow to arrive even after choosing the faster of the 2 game speeds.

That's not the only way to adjust how quickly you get the bugs: You can click on any wave to make it come early (right away). You gain bonuses for doing so too. IIRC(?) it improves your XP score for the level as well as providing a trophy for the level.

I played on slow game speed to give me time to see what was happening (and to apply sunshine upgrades in the best places) but brought waves forward as soon as I felt ready to deal with them. For example, if the first wave is not going to circle round past your early defence again, then you can choose to set off the 2nd wave before the first one is all gone.

Edited on 07/01/2011 at 8:05:05 AM PST

HotTuna
Seahorse
Seahorse
38 Posts

[Post New]by HotTuna on Jul 1, 11 7:21 PM
Tried the demo, had fun and so bought the game. Then got to level 9. Been stuck ever since, even with the various hints I've found on this forum. Now I'm sorry I paid the money out. I enjoy games, but I'm not crazy about frustrating myself to death for the sake of entertainment. I will be deleting this game. Life is too short.

[Post New]by drgonfli on Jul 26, 11 10:16 AM
The game is entertaining but even at level 23 I don't have any other plants than the peashooter. How do I unlock any of these??????

Go to: