Any comments or reviews for this game?

jennsmom
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,207 Posts

Re:Todays DD Comments and reviews

[Post New]by jennsmom on Dec 3, 10 3:26 AM
Pictures?? Pictures?? Oh my.

Clunky, irritating music, picture! list of objects, and if you don't click fast enough, the whole conversation starts over again. Thought it was dreadful, and not even worth the money as a DD. 5 minutes. That was my limit.

[Post New]by kris_cross48 on Dec 3, 10 6:28 AM
um I kinda enjoyed it. AM seriously thinking about buying it since the walkthrough appears to be fairly long. No, it isn't a difficult game but the fact that it is based on fact (ran to wikilinks to find out) hold the whole thing pretty eerie which the game reflects.
The graphics were pretty good, yes the items were small but I'm getting used to squinting until the new glasses come in.
The is a nice flow between the past and the present that is emotionally upsetting and reminds me of Forgotton Places-Circus. Your one place, then boom, your another. Kind of like those confusing movies when you flash all over the place in time.
The plot is interesting because it is based on fact. The more you read about the actual MAry Celeste and all her lousey luck, it's amazing anyone got onboard.
The hint button is wonderfully quick and I haven't hit any clicking punishment which really erks me in a game. Hey, I'm paying for this, don't rap my knuckles!
So, this is a B. No where near some of the games we've seen zinging through here, but the latest dragon items made me really glad to see this one.
kris

Edited on 12/03/2010 at 9:52:51 AM PST

[Post New]by kris_cross48 on Dec 3, 10 9:55 AM
OK, did I screw up. Ignore my earlier post. I went and bought it, and I am so Tired of going from room to room trying to find tiny dials along with the rather bitchy Mary of the story. Do not buy this game unless you have infinite patience and like to listen to a character fuss all the way through the game. I don't and wasted 2.99.
kris

genkicoll
Stingray
Stingray
5,732 Posts

[Post New]by genkicoll on Dec 3, 10 10:33 AM
The Mystery of the Mary Celeste (review from June 18, 2010)

The first thing I did was turn up the music and ambient sounds and turn down the sound effects (wrong-click sounds).

This is a semi-interactive Hidden Object Game, where the items to be gathered are listed by picture at the bottom of the screen. Here's a neat trick: Everything you pick up goes in your inventory and you can pick it up from your inventory. You may only need one item from any scene, but I think it's a nice touch Besides, you have to work a little harder. ie. In other games you have to interact with something and you know exactly what to do because you only have one item in your inventory. In this game, you have about a dozen to choose from. Sometimes more than one object is needed to interact with a single item, so you have pop-up areas. You know how many items are needed because you can see the bubbles, but you still have to figure out which items to use.

The story is VERY non-invasive, given to you one line at a time at the top of the screen, plus it is skippable. Every word of conversation will be recorded in your journal, so if you miss something, it is easily accessible. I love to be immersed in a story, myself, so I read everything as it came. The game starts out innocently enough, but it doesn't take long for strange things to start happening... then downright spooky! YEEES! I loves me some spooky!

You may find items in some strange places occasionally, but this is not a junk pile HOG. Items start of pretty easy to find, but the game gets more challenging as you progress. Another plus is that the developers have worked hard to make items time-appropriate (since it's an important plot point!)

I came to my first mini-game approx. 45 minutes into the game, and there IS a skip button for those who need it.

Overall, I give this game a thumbs up! Already purchased and played through~

buckeyelibra
Guppy
Guppy
153 Posts

[Post New]by buckeyelibra on Dec 3, 10 10:46 AM
not for me. Only played 5 minutes and deleted it. boring.

brookings
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
454 Posts

[Post New]by brookings on Dec 3, 10 12:08 PM
I'm not buying this one either. I had to mute all sounds, they are very annoying. On the deck, I couldn't find most of the objects. The round portholes at the bottom tells you what to fin, and then darkens if you find it. However, if there is more than one object of the same thing, it only darkens a little. I found the whole thing to be confusing. I know there were not that many items left to find, but was confused it I was suppose to find more of the same, or the game did not dim the object to find enough. To me it is a waste of time.

Kalavinka
Clownfish
Clownfish
683 Posts

[Post New]by Kalavinka on Dec 3, 10 1:24 PM
This was my least favorite game. I was completely bored and was disappointed because I wanted to learn more about the Mary Cleste. However, the game might be worth 2.99. I would probably not play it all at one go--- Some might consider it relaxing.

Edited on 12/03/2010 at 1:29:07 PM PST

Noralg
Starfish
Starfish
54 Posts

[Post New]by Noralg on Dec 3, 10 2:09 PM
I like this game! It took some getting used to, but definitely a nice DD for the money. The hidden object list is small pictures and the scale is not to size, so I had to use the hint button at first to find some obvious items until I got used to it. Directions are lacking a bit. I actually uninstalled and reinstalled because I couldn't figure out what to do with that bright circle at the doorway. Use the key in it! But all that being said, it's a good story with some fun graphics. A buy for me.

[Post New]by daisyduck352 on Dec 3, 10 2:31 PM
I downloaded it as wanted something new to play. It's ok.. won't buy it.. but it's not awful.

Bobbie53
Squid
Squid
75 Posts

[Post New]by Bobbie53 on Dec 3, 10 3:59 PM
I agree with Noralg. I like this game. I will be buying it. why? I am really really tired right now and can still make it through each episode. Nice.

[Post New]by gizmospooky on Dec 3, 10 3:59 PM
I'm not interested in buying this, seems a bit slow after some of the newer games. My monitor just died and had to replace it w/a widescreen one so I'm not sure if that wasn't part of the problem. The images seemed a bit off, so it's just another reason to skip this one for me.

[Post New]by WiccanWoman530 on Dec 3, 10 5:18 PM
I liked it and will buy for the DD price, its got a good story to get immersed in and I consider it to be like a straight HOG with a twist. I'm realizing I like straight HOGs sometimes more than the over complicated IHOGs...if I am skipping minis and using a walkthrough for more than 1/4 of a game it seems like a waste of money to me.. the only one with an exception to that rule is MCF games because there is always a great long story to uncover...and thats what my #1 want in a game is..a game with lots of dialog-story and HOG scenes I always enjoy! My new pet peeve is the word Junkpile... no one complained about the "junkpile" scenes in any of the MCF games! I have horrible eyesight (can't wait till I can afford a pair of glasses just for computer use since I spend so much time on it) but H0s being small or harder to find makes a game challenging, not annoying.

Anyway, no its not the best game ever made, but its far better than the worst I have played! I think one review I read said it best "They can't all be Ravenhearst" So this game as a DD gets 3 from me and I will buy, add it to my growing list of games to play and start a PC.

After 13 Skulls, I kinda like the ship theme too!

Happy Gaming everyone.

Legabriel
Starfish
Starfish
46 Posts

[Post New]by Legabriel on Dec 3, 10 6:45 PM
I bought it. Looks interesting. Sorry so many didn't like it.
HUGS

gamergirl675
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,156 Posts

[Post New]by gamergirl675 on Dec 3, 10 7:14 PM
WiccanWoman530 wrote: My new pet peeve is the word Junkpile... no one complained about the "junkpile" scenes in any of the MCF games!

I did!!! In fact I think what I said was something like "If this wasn't called MCF: whatever then people would be complaining." Sorry big fish but you do NOT get a by on junkpile scenes just cause the game is fun. I still bought it but it irks me and you lose a star for it. It's not hard to make fun H0 scenes without serching for fresh food in a dusty cupboard or piling on tons of things every which way... a little more work perhaps but us gamers deserve the effort... especially since we work VERY hard for the money we're forking over.

Ok... off to trial this one... we'll see if the game is good enough to make up for junkpile scenes...

gamergirl675
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,156 Posts

[Post New]by gamergirl675 on Dec 3, 10 7:45 PM
Ok... played 20 mins so far and I think I'm going to pick this one up since it's for DD price. Don't think I would have paid full price though as it does have some irritants. No junkpile scenes so I'm not sure why that was mentioned unless later scenes are (which is possible.) I hate the misclick sounds and some of the items are really hard to find... oddly not because the items themselves are too small but because the list is a tiny thumbnail pic of the item and it's too hard to tell what they are sometimes. But I turned off the sound effects and there is no penalty for misclick other than the noise so it doesn't matter if you click wrong while searching. I really like games to have a nice "feel" to the clicks so that is a big reason why I wouldn't pay full price. It's also a shame there are no voice overs and the small text box at the top is a pita since you have to click the word "next" way at the top to go to the next scene... so since it's out of site I would often click on an item I knew I needed and be frustrated that it wouldn't take until I realized it was waiting for me to click the text box I didn't even know was there. The music is ok although nothing special.

I also am not a fan of the circles opening up for you to place inventory items in to "use" them in the scene because you have to guess which items they are. There's usually texts or something to tell you but the problem again is that the items don't necessarily look like what they are supposed to be.

The main reason I'm buying is because of the story... nice and creepy and based on real events so all the better. Love the story of the Mary Celeste. I think with a little more effort this could have been a really GREAT game... fix the list... change the click sounds... add some nice voice overs... and you have a 5 star game. (And part of this might be because it's an older game? Don't know when it was made.) As is I would give it 2 & 1/2 stars... a buy on sale for the DD price but not a buy on a $4.99 sale or full price.

Nagasse
Stingray
Stingray
5,251 Posts

[Post New]by Nagasse on Nov 20, 11 7:19 PM
I palyed the demo and I think I will buy. Its not very challenging, but there's a nice storyline and the graphics are good. I enjoyed playing the demo so I will put this on my list and continue on this ship mission, lol.

Go to: