gimmegames
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,231 Posts

7 Wonders of the World - DD for 6Dec2010 - Comments and Reviews

[Post New]by gimmegames on Dec 6, 10 12:14 AM
I own this game, and I'd recommend it even at regular price. A steal at daily deal pricing.

puzzledone
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,182 Posts

Re:7 Wonders of the World - DD for 6Dec2010 - Comments and Reviews

[Post New]by puzzledone on Dec 6, 10 1:14 AM
It must have been more than 5 years ago I bought this game before I joined BF. It's a really nice M3 and funny if you watch the little characters interact at the bottom, but don't let that distract you - there is a TIMER. I was playing on Win ME 2000, old pc and it ran slow and I kept losing lives and progressed, replayed, and gave up knowing I'd never get to the 5th or 6 Wonder.

Later I d/l on newer win XP, faster computer and it ran fine. But still the timer, so I don't know how fast your pc has to run to beat the clock to the end. Haven't tried it on W7, can't install it again from "that other" club.

Very colorful big tiles, no problems with old eyes, except it does flash a lot as I recall. Anyone on W7 64 bit please chime in and let us know if it runs smooth on newer Windows okay. A lot of these older ones just balk at new technology and I never got to try it on Vista. Either way, still can't escape the timer for relaxed play but try it out first.

puzzledone
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,182 Posts

[Post New]by puzzledone on Dec 6, 10 1:26 AM
Did they change the name of this game and upgraded it? I would swear my original version was called 7 Wonders of the Ancient World. Now I notice some old posts use that title too. I've seen some other games change their first title when they released on BF. I'm just assuming it is the same game as I played back then.

EnvirEng
Guppy
Guppy
152 Posts

[Post New]by EnvirEng on Dec 6, 10 7:56 AM
I've had this game for ages. Love it. If you like M3 games, this is a steal as a DD.

The timer does make it quite a challenge on some levels. There is one where the playing area is shaped like an anchor and I must have played that level 100 times before getting past it. Arghhh. But, the game is great overall with really good graphics. The builder are cute and you actually might learn something about the Ancient Wonders.

Genet1770
Guppy
Guppy
117 Posts

[Post New]by Genet1770 on Dec 6, 10 8:09 AM
I checked this thread earlier today, and decided not to buy the game, but then, because of all the GOOD feedback in spite of the timer thing, I decided to run the demo. I was afraid, from some older threads when the game first posted on , that it wouldn't run. But it runs fine, and as others have said it's quite attractive, it's informative, and yes, it is timed....shades of Cradle of Rome, another killer. BUT I went ahead and bought this game anyway. I'm a sucker for a good match-3.

Please note, and maybe some others who have played this will check in again to this thread and let me know more about this - but there IS an option right at the top of the options list, called Free Play. Of course (teeth-grinder) when you click on it, it tells you that you have to complete at least one level first, and going through one screen is far from doing one level. Sooooo....does this "free play" mean relaxed mode? (If it does, it really is time for these developers, bless them all, to realize how some of us can't deal with timers because of physical reasons, and to withhold the relaxed mode like dangling a carrot is not nice, lol.) But that said, it's a lovely game, I'm glad I got it, and if someone could let us know if that free play option means no timer we'd all appreciate it, I think.

tankpunk
Seahorse
Seahorse
22 Posts

[Post New]by tankpunk on Dec 6, 10 9:43 AM
I too am very tempted to buy this, but also wondering if there is a relaxed mode? Would definitely help me make a decision as whether to purchase or not ty.

MarpleLover
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,415 Posts

[Post New]by MarpleLover on Dec 6, 10 9:53 AM
Actually, some of us have mental issues with timers.

_DD_
Flounder
Flounder
2,115 Posts

[Post New]by _DD_ on Dec 6, 10 10:24 AM
I also bought it as "7 Wonders of the Ancient World" from another site long ago, when I still bought timed games. Despite this and although it's a long time ago I played it (too many new games ), it's a colourful and pleasing M3, IMO, and I liked it better than the successor with the turning board.

Anyway, I checked for you:
Free play means that you can play any level you completed in adventure mode. I started one and it has the same timer as in the adventure mode. No relaxed mode in Options either.

Looking at the my game, I obviously started a new player profile several times, rather than finishing the game, all of them being in the 2nd adventure (of 3, I seem to recall). My main player is at 60 % in the 3rd (an adventure consists of lots of levels -- lol, the game d/l page says "more than 49 levels"?! what's that, 50?), so it might get a bit 'heavy' later on.

Sorry, don't remember more.

tankpunk
Seahorse
Seahorse
22 Posts

[Post New]by tankpunk on Dec 6, 10 2:57 PM
Thanks for reply, too bad no relaxed mode. However still fun and addicting. Probably going to purchase either way, lets just hope the timer doesn't take the fun out of it . Thanks again for great reply!

Edited on 12/06/2010 at 2:58:10 PM PST

Genet1770
Guppy
Guppy
117 Posts

[Post New]by Genet1770 on Dec 6, 10 4:09 PM
Yes, thanks, DD, much appreciated , tho the news was a bit disheartening.

duck72
Seahorse
Seahorse
20 Posts

[Post New]by duck72 on Dec 7, 10 4:10 AM
Hi all,

I'm new to BFG. I saw this game this morning & liked the sound of it but I was at work so couldn't download / purchase it.

Now I can't find it on the site.

Can I expect to see this come back soon? I'd really like to get it.

Thanks.

soblessed57
Manatee
Manatee
3,780 Posts

[Post New]by soblessed57 on Dec 7, 10 6:14 AM
On a certain game-review site, I found this info~free play where you can revisit and play any unlocked wonder except the secret one. So nope- free play is not untimed.

_DD_
Flounder
Flounder
2,115 Posts

[Post New]by _DD_ on Dec 7, 10 9:41 AM
You're welcome, tankpunk and Genet
I don't think the timer takes the fun out of it, tankpunk, if it's just a matter of not liking them. I don't like them, are not playing well w/ them with very few exceptions, yet I came three times to the 2nd adv; which means it must have been fun and easy enough for retrying it at least so far. I seem to recall that end of adv-2 was really hard... Have fun, if you bought it

_DD_
Flounder
Flounder
2,115 Posts

[Post New]by _DD_ on Dec 7, 10 9:56 AM
hi duck!

I assume you mean the English BFG home/start page.
Your post shows the date Dec-7. The game was the daily deal for Dec-6. The daily deal will only be shown on the BFG page during that day (all times PST). So I guess you were too late.

You can still find the game here from the forum, if you follow the link above "Try this game" - or if you type in its name on the All Game Forums tab (above) - but not at the reduced price anymore.

If you consider to buy it - or any other game at BFG - and if you are not in the US, please read "Message to Overseas Customers buying from our US site." on the first page of Chit Chat Corner forum (tab above) or by copying/pasting this link to your browser:
http://forums.bigfishgames.com/posts/list/128346.page

Hope this helps

- sent by PM as well -

duck72 wrote:Hi all,

I'm new to BFG. I saw this game this morning & liked the sound of it but I was at work so couldn't download / purchase it.

Can I expect to see this come back soon? I'd really like to get it.

Thanks.

[Post New]by flagtruck on Feb 1, 11 10:31 PM

[Post New]by heatherington on Apr 12, 11 4:24 AM
I'm not a timer person, you set up a clock and I will run away and hide!

Go to: