bfgImbrium
Manatee
Manatee
4,236 Posts

Your Comments and Reviews for Mystery Chronicles: Murder Among Friends

[Post New]by bfgImbrium on Dec 6, 10 12:37 AM
Hey Fishies! What do you think of Mystery Chronicles: Murder Among Friends? We value your reviews, as do many of the other fishies in our pond, so feel free to post your comments, opinions, hints and tips in this thread!

Remember, a lot of people who will be reading this thread will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

Happy gaming!

bfgImbrium

Athena99
Guppy
Guppy
169 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Mystery Chronicles: Murder Among Friends

[Post New]by Athena99 on Dec 6, 10 9:58 PM
I played this game when it was a DD a while back and I turned it down. Giving it a second chance on my laptop now that it is COTW, I am passing on it again. It's not that it's a bad game, though there are a number of annoying things. For one, the background sounds, especially the noise it makes when you make a wrong click. That happened more than I cared for as I found the cursor to be finicky clicking on some of the smaller or thinner objects. At least there was no penalty - at least that I experienced - for over-clicking. The graphics were fine, but a lot of the objects were small enough that they were more more difficult to find on the smaller screen - sometimes you had to squint to figure out what some of them were in the first place. At least there is a relaxed mode which compensates for this. Overall though, there was something about the game play that didn't make the game bad, just mediocre. I think it would make a good game for someone is just staring to build their BF library. I wouldn't pay full price, but at $2.99 it should make some people happy.

dollyflower
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,373 Posts

[Post New]by dollyflower on Dec 7, 10 3:02 PM
I too bought the game some time ago and didn't finish the first time. The first time around, you could only skip a certain number of puzzles and I had trouble with several of them. (was I in the expert mode or did the game makers change the game?). Anyway, I enjoyed it more the second time around, though some of the objects are almost impossible to find, I tended to get eye strain, so I took it in small doses. The game is well worth buying. Graphics are great and if your screen is big enough ( and eyes sharp enough), You should enjoy it.

Leanda1
Clownfish
Clownfish
513 Posts

[Post New]by Leanda1 on Dec 7, 10 3:47 PM
I muted sound so cannot comment on that. I can say however that there IS a penalty for over clicking - it adds/takes time off of your timer and the hint button takes almost 90 seconds to refill. WAY TOO SMALL of items for my old eyes. sorry because I was looking for a new IHOG and it turned out to be a junk pile HOG with WAY TO SMALL of items (did I just say that LOL!) Even for $2.99 for me it was a no buy.

Capthowdy64
Minnow
Minnow
268 Posts

[Post New]by Capthowdy64 on Dec 11, 10 10:25 PM
I love these games but this one is very hard and unforgiving. You don't feel like you accomplished something when you finish a scene but are just glad to be through it. Simply put,it's just not a lot of fun

[Post New]by kris_cross48 on Dec 13, 10 12:42 PM
I bought this game a long time ago and never finished it...just tried again and remembered why. Objects WAAAY too small or sitting in shadows, basically impossible to see unless you have hunter's eyes. The puzzles were timed which made me a nervous wreck..I'm kinda slow at this stuff and want to enjoy myself, not compete. So, not a game I wish I spent money on. Not a great gamer decision. Learn from my mistake.

care___916
Clownfish
Clownfish
988 Posts

[Post New]by care___916 on Dec 19, 10 7:12 PM
I bought this game a long time ago also. Started it today and now I remember why I didnt finish it. I love hogs but I have to be able to see the items. Graphics not clear and alot of items are very small.

The walkthrough I found did not help at all in the hidden object parts. If you run out of time like I did the game starts you back at chapter 6 and that is where my probs begin lol.

Sorry I purchased this game a waste of money. Only game I have that I cannot complete.

Happy gaming

318Pisces
Clownfish
Clownfish
642 Posts

[Post New]by 318Pisces on Jan 2, 11 1:38 PM
Unfortunately, this game is just not grabbing me!

Almost a pure hidden object game, which isn't that bad usually, but many objects are too tiny & it is getting boring...
This will be one of those games (like Azada) that sits on my desk top, to be visited every once in a while, in between games...

Oh well...

318Pisces
Clownfish
Clownfish
642 Posts

[Post New]by 318Pisces on Jan 2, 11 1:39 PM
Capthowdy64 wrote:I love these games but this one is very hard and unforgiving. You don't feel like you accomplished something when you finish a scene but are just glad to be through it. Simply put,it's just not a lot of fun

AGREED

Stevihj
Clownfish
Clownfish
507 Posts

[Post New]by Stevihj on Jan 21, 11 9:10 PM
The graphics are okay. The gameplay is HOG. There are objects which are small and dark. The storyline is interesting. After the hour trial, I feel as though I have done very little.

This game is a C.

[Post New]by TeamKrug on Jan 31, 11 5:38 PM
I am pretty new to these games. This is my first month and I look forward to more.

Mystery Chronicles: Murder Among Friends is not too bad but some of the objects that you are looking for are not as well rendered as I see in some of the other games.
I found myself clicking things just to see what they were by seeing if they got crossed off the list of items. I must say that I'm using 23" or larger monitors so it may be scaling up poorly. However, I have played 5 other games so far here and they appeared better.

Finally, there is not a great feeling of an ongoing thread or puzzle that makes me feel like I'm doing things as part of a story. Normally I get the adventure/hidden objects games so I used to more of that I guess. This seemed to be more of a chore than a fun time.

Dianneamyte
Guppy
Guppy
169 Posts

[Post New]by Dianneamyte on Feb 4, 11 11:48 PM
This, for my taste, is an example of a boring, poorly constructed game.

I am not a big fan of straight HOGs in the first place but, this one is especially bad.
The objects are blurred and in a lot of cases impossible to find. The hint button takes way too long to play in the relaxed mode
I do not feel that a lot of thought was put into the construction of this game. It is just a lot of objects scattered about and nothing else of interest to do. Oh yeah, I got to put some pencils in a tray. whopee. And could not figure out for the life of me what a Hanoi tower is. I found out through the hint button and had never heard of this object called a Hanoi Tower.
So- no buy for me.

stephensol1
Lobster
Lobster
87 Posts

[Post New]by stephensol1 on Feb 6, 11 8:33 PM
I don't like it. The objects are too small, and it's just too dark. I'm up to chapter 5 and the story doesn't make sense. How did annette get bit by a snake? I thought they were both shot.

Daring55
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
16 Posts

[Post New]by Daring55 on Mar 17, 11 8:31 PM
I don't usually write a review for these games, but I feel compelled to do so this time.

This is the worst game that I have purchased from BG. The objects are small, dark and obscure. The hint button takes way too long to fill up, and the storyline is very slim. The game's only positive feature is that some of the puzzles are interesting.

If someone offered to pay me $10 to play it again, I would say, "No, thank you." A game should be fun--not tedium!

Pat_ric_ia
Guppy
Guppy
199 Posts

[Post New]by Pat_ric_ia on Apr 10, 11 2:27 PM
Hi all, Great story line and good graphics. I found the items to be collected to be a bit obscure in places but it could be done. Bought this game last year and have just come back to it. Think I'll replay and see where it takes me!
Love to all, Pat_ric_ia x

[Post New]by JEM1285 on May 13, 11 4:27 PM
Daring55 wrote:I don't usually write a review for these games, but I feel compelled to do so this time.

This is the worst game that I have purchased from BG. The objects are small, dark and obscure. The hint button takes way too long to fill up, and the storyline is very slim. The game's only positive feature is that some of the puzzles are interesting.

If someone offered to pay me $10 to play it again, I would say, "No, thank you." A game should be fun--not tedium!

This is the same way I feel about this. I'll add that there is not enough contrast to be able to pick out some of the tiny objects on like colored backgrounds. I found the game to be tedious, and completing it was not enjoyable, just a relief to be through it. Doubt I'll try another of these mystery chronicles.

jbglaze
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
16 Posts

[Post New]by jbglaze on Jun 14, 11 5:47 PM
I buy these games to help me unwind after a stressful day. I can't say this one accomplishes that. Very frustrating. After muttering to myself for a half hour over the museum scene, I'm deleting it.

Meritre
Guppy
Guppy
177 Posts

[Post New]by Meritre on Jun 18, 11 9:41 PM
The graphics are nice, but agreed that some things are too small, especially given that timer penalty for misclicking on the small items too often. I did like how, unlike many other HOGs, many of the hidden objects were relevant to the story. Might buy on sale, but not at full-price.

Dialogue
Minnow
Minnow
202 Posts

[Post New]by Dialogue on Aug 1, 11 3:52 PM
Tedious, tedious, tedious! Find twelve of this, ten of that. Find little pieces of paper in the dark. I probably would not have minded if my vision was twenty twenty but it isn't. Another annoying thing was the fact that clicking around quickly caused the hint button to exhaust itself. The third annoyance was the fact that some puzzles had no help at all. I skipped several of them even though they looked very interesting. The game did not start out to be that bad or I would not have bought it. I'm glad developers don't make games like this anymore.

[Post New]by barrwalker on Aug 13, 11 8:07 PM
Good thing I did the trial before purchasing. This has to be one of the most boring and pointless games ever. Many items are too small to see, every scene is the same, and those annoying pop-up tips totally drove me nuts! Couldn't find any option to get rid of them (unless they disappear in the timed mode--didn't go that far). Sorry...

Go to: