bfgImbrium
Manatee
Manatee
4,236 Posts

Your Comments and Reviews for Twisted: A Haunted Carol

[Post New]by bfgImbrium on Dec 7, 10 12:22 AM
Hey Fishies! What do you think of Twisted: A Haunted Carol? We value your reviews, as do many of the other fishies in our pond, so feel free to post your comments, opinions, hints and tips in this thread!

Remember, a lot of people who will be reading this thread will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

Happy gaming!

bfgImbrium

cherbtoo
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
22,629 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Twisted: A Haunted Carol

[Post New]by cherbtoo on Dec 7, 10 12:48 AM
First impression was nice graphics ... second impression was that this game will drive me nuts because you are not allowed to click on this spot or that spot to see if you can use it without the cursor doing a jiggly dance and to my way of thinking any game that has adventure type elements should not have clicking penalties.

Will add more when I come back from the doctors.

OK now that I have had the time to actually play I have thoroughly chastised myself for wanting to be able to find things on my own and played the rest of the demo by only clicking on the required areas. To me though this makes the game a bit too easy and spoils the fun as does telling us exactly what sort of key it is that we have picked up.

I found twisting a classic story a "novel" idea and the music at the beginning was OK too although I don't recall hearing any after that.

It is a pleasant little game but not a spectacular one and, considering that I got past the halfway stage during the demo, I am not sure that I will be buying it unless I need a final punch on my punchcard at the end of the month.

Cherb

Edited on 12/07/2010 at 4:20:04 AM PST

sassylassie
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,107 Posts

[Post New]by sassylassie on Dec 7, 10 1:10 AM
I will put up with the jigglies no problem. If the game runs fine, I am buying. Waited on this one. This seems like it's going to be a good one Gran.

4mybirds4
Salmon
Salmon
2,663 Posts

[Post New]by 4mybirds4 on Dec 7, 10 1:44 AM
The graphics are clear but the game was way to easy. I made it about 3/4 way through the game in the hour demo, and I'm not a very fast player. Definite no buy for me.

[Post New]by matouks on Dec 7, 10 1:49 AM

Beautiful graphics Interesting twist A little easy for diehard HOG/adventure folks but would be great for younger set which gets my vote as BFG has a huge, great choice for the rest of us. Downloaded without problem but when i tried to get into the secret panel (that twinkled and I went to walkthru to make sure I was in the right place) nothing happens - spent 20 minutes, with letter opener, clicking all over the panel and around the panel... spells a no buy for me - if the game has been tested correctly shouldn't be a glitch. Messages included - use this somewhere else and I don't think you can use this here, etc. Mouby

vicalana
Stingray
Stingray
5,296 Posts

[Post New]by vicalana on Dec 7, 10 1:54 AM
Me too! Welcome to the pond!

Staril
Minnow
Minnow
227 Posts

[Post New]by Staril on Dec 7, 10 1:56 AM
I very nearly finished the game within the demo time ... I was partly through chapter 7 of 8 by then ... and chapter 8 seems just to be mainly story rather than game ... looking at the walkthrough. It is a fairly easy game but when you want to click on something it doesn't always do what you want. It seems that the clickable areas overlap in some cases ... for example ... if you want to pick something up that is beside a door, then you often get the door response rather than the object. The mini game between chapters I found annoying but the skip loaded quickly and I used it after the first couple of times. There didn't seem to be much music, just some strange sighing sounds.

Not a buy for me. It looks OK but didn't yell "Buy me!" ... and that was before I realised how short a game it is. I think I would have finished it within another 5 minutes ... I'll be interested to see if anyone does finish it within the hour ... I would think that is quite possible.

[Post New]by vegaskitkat on Dec 7, 10 1:58 AM
where's the walkthru? This is just right for this 61 year old brain but I am stuck at the secret panel with one key and want to look at the walk thru. will check here tomorrow

Staril
Minnow
Minnow
227 Posts

[Post New]by Staril on Dec 7, 10 1:59 AM
There is a link to the walkthrough on the main page for the game.

cll026497
Guppy
Guppy
106 Posts

[Post New]by cll026497 on Dec 7, 10 2:21 AM
I hope that I am not blind but do not see the walkthrough, help

Staril
Minnow
Minnow
227 Posts

[Post New]by Staril on Dec 7, 10 2:23 AM
The link to the walkthrough is the last item of text above the sample pictures on the page for the game.

Staril
Minnow
Minnow
227 Posts

[Post New]by Staril on Dec 7, 10 2:24 AM
Just wanted to add ... play beyond the first chapter before deciding to buy the game. I found it to be the longest and most interesting one.

vanessa1166
Guppy
Guppy
157 Posts

[Post New]by vanessa1166 on Dec 7, 10 2:24 AM
AAAAHHH No fair
Only for PC

JessF
Clownfish
Clownfish
773 Posts

[Post New]by JessF on Dec 7, 10 2:25 AM
Go to the main page. Scroll down quite a bit. On the left hand side there will be a link to BLOG. That will take you to the walkthrough page.

They do not make it easy to find.

Happy Gaming.

Staril
Minnow
Minnow
227 Posts

[Post New]by Staril on Dec 7, 10 2:29 AM
In this case the blog link is not on the left hand side ... it is in the middle with the description of the game ... at least on my screen at the moment.

jencollett
Starfish
Starfish
49 Posts

[Post New]by jencollett on Dec 7, 10 2:30 AM
marley murdered by Scrooge - it's a travesty. There is scope for a wonderful game based on what happened to Scrooge!!!

This game however is only average and I won't br buying

elldee2728
Shark
Shark
14,378 Posts

[Post New]by elldee2728 on Dec 7, 10 2:55 AM
There is a LINK to "Check Out Our BLOG Walkthrough" just above the screen shots on the synopsis page, just as Staril said.

Now, my impressions:

The storyline may not be comfortable to true fans of the original Dickens classic, but it is a GAME! I absolutely love the historical tale, but I can live with this adaptation. We see Scrooge do something despicable, but then "pay the piper." The opening screen is rather lackluster (no cursor choice, BTW), but the intro is very nice, and the Victorian London scenes are really good and well-defined (right down to the snowflakes falling). No voice acting, just subtitled dialogue (I would have expected more from a 350 Mb download). Musical background seems a bit muted, sometimes cutting out altogether. Scrolling to the corners gets to "Menu," "Inventory," etc. but no prompt unless you click there.

This may come across as a slightly negative review--no way! The graphics are great, the combination HOG/Inventory/adventure is all there! Just kinda curious why it's a "Coming Soon" on the developer's site, BFG has it today (YAY), yet in the opening, there's no credit to the "Coming Soon" developer/publisher.

(Edit--after about 30 minutes with the demo--then bought)

Edited on 12/07/2010 at 6:50:32 AM PST

firebird40
Starfish
Starfish
57 Posts

[Post New]by firebird40 on Dec 7, 10 3:14 AM
graphics are good, story is an interesting twist on one of my favorite Dickens stories and the H0 scenes are clear. May seem a bit easy for more advanced players, and it is VERY short.

I finished the entire game in about an hour and a half. I used a credit, so it mattered less, but had I paid the usual price for a game, I would have been disappointed.

Its a shame, too, because they could have really taken this game in so many directions. The potential was definitely there, but I guess they just wanted to rush it to market.

doctorgood
Clownfish
Clownfish
589 Posts

[Post New]by doctorgood on Dec 7, 10 3:20 AM
..........................After 40 min. of play.......................
Well..I like it. The graphics are hand drawn and colorful..just the way I like 'em.
The cursor is more than generous about misclicks (is that a word?) and recharges quickly.

The music is tolerable but I won't be ordering the sound track. The H0 scenes are fairly easy as has been pointed out but......I don't mind that. I really don't like being bogged down in a H0 scene looking for a multitude of infinitely small, deviously hidden objects. It slows the game down and I tend to lose interest. I guess it would be considered a HOG/IHOG. The length..I don't know..ya' got me.

I prefer to spend my time solving unique puzzles which I find much more entertaining and this game has some decent puzzles.

The story.....alright..they don't follow Dickens tale to the letter....but...c'mon..we've all read it, we know how it progresses.....but this is just a 6 buck game. Allow them some poetic license to liven the game up for pete's sake! Morley's out whacking people, I mean..how much more Christmasy can you get!

The game appears to be very linear which I don't care for but am willing to tolerate because of the theme and graphics. Hints recharge fast, no glitches..loads and runs perfect. No problems. I like it.
Dr.good

jbinch
Starfish
Starfish
50 Posts

[Post New]by jbinch on Dec 7, 10 3:21 AM
Matouks...same problem with the letter opener and the safe...click everywhere and it doesn't work. Really getting tired of all the glitches in the games lately.

Go to: