DD Reviews 12/10/10

[Post New]by WiccanWoman530 on Dec 10, 10 7:50 AM
Post Um if you got um!
Would like to hear some reviews for this game.. have not played or bought any of the SS series yet. Thanks!

soblessed57
Manatee
Manatee
3,780 Posts

Re:DD Reviews 12/10/10

[Post New]by soblessed57 on Dec 10, 10 8:04 AM
I own Samantha Swift and the Hidden Roses of Athena ,and enjoy it very much. It is quite easy,and nice graphics,so I will check this one out for sure.

Noralg
Starfish
Starfish
54 Posts

[Post New]by Noralg on Dec 10, 10 8:52 AM
So few opinions! I just started the demo, but so far I like it very much. Graphics are clear, it's not too easy and the sparkles give you enough hints. Seems like a very good deal as the DD.

joyce2121
Manatee
Manatee
4,490 Posts

[Post New]by joyce2121 on Dec 10, 10 9:15 AM
I own S.S and the Golden Touch and like it very much.

Finished the demo on this one today and just cannot
see the lightning bolt in each scene. Went to the
Walkthrough and memorized the first three and started
over. Even knowing where they were, could not see
two of the three. Although some of the "swifts" take
a good bit of searching, I am able to see them.

Try not to use many hints, but don't know if I want to
have to go to the walkthrough to locate a lightning bolt
every time I want to use a hint. Each time I do, I end
up seeing other things in the screenshot and that kind
of spoils the fun.

I'm going to sit tight for a while and see if any more
comments come in.

Videohound
Lobster
Lobster
92 Posts

[Post New]by Videohound on Dec 10, 10 5:53 PM
I haven't been able to find a single lightning bolt. It seems easy enough, but I"m not sure I'll get this one. I'm not real big on games that are only HOGs. I like more puzzles and stuff.

puzzledone
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,182 Posts

[Post New]by puzzledone on Dec 10, 10 6:49 PM
I own all 4 in the series. Unlike the first, Roses of Athena, each one got progressively harder and complicated if you need more challenge. Altho IMO "harder" means harder and harder to see anything especially tiny obscure lightening bolts to earn hints. They are more than plain hogs, lots of interactivity using inventory, solving tasks with little or no logic but..(it's just a game).

Seems you had no hints in beginning til you got to next one with bolts to find, so slow start. As I progressed I had more hints than I thought I'd ever need, then hit scenes that took all but one or 2, stressful not knowing what's coming next.

Besides lightning bolts for hints, there's swallow birds to find for getting to the bonus game, too will hidden, faded out, or not the shape as the last. Forget that unless you want to hang out at the WT. The first puzzle in this needed a patch or rebuild by next day, skewed screen res, so lots of tech issues but resolved so don't let that scare you off. There's a few scenes that will not accept the right inventory tool, but I found if you leave that room, go back out, grab it and carry it to other room it can work, just don't drop it in inv bar. Just a glitch to work around. I think it is a barroom scene, go back out, come back in etc.

Shame really, the Athena one is a great introduction to going beyond HOGs to interaction, combining inventory, but never more than 2 or 3 locations to use them, can't get lost. Except the King Arthur maze at the end, one wrong turn and a hair puller and no WT then. I had so much fun with it I replayed often to relax, except one time got miserably lost in that maze, found screenshot on another site thx LizzieK.

Maybe players want difficulty level to rise on sequels, I'd rather constancy, just new graphics, and certainly NOT having needed objects become more and more invisible, more need for walkthroughs. Otherwise I like the cartoon style, prefer more colors like Athena. Only neg was how many times stopping to see her repeat "This will be good for my museum" Duh...we know that. I was just disappointed in 3 and 4th, not fun, but if you have big monitor, 20/20 vision try it for yourself. I'll just be content replaying the first one, lots to amuse me and relax.

KathyD56
Guppy
Guppy
137 Posts

[Post New]by KathyD56 on Dec 10, 10 6:55 PM
I am enjoying this game and bought it after the demo. I only made it through the first stage, Alaska, in the first hour, so this looks to be of decent length.
The lightening bolts are very hard to find, though I did find a couple on my own, for others I looked at the walkthrough.
Graphics are clear and the hidden objects are all of good size and not that hard to find. The interactive elements make the game more interesting, than if it was just a straight HOG--though this is more straight HOG than IHOG.
I am playing the "easy" mode and so far have not had to use any hints. You get extra points for not using hints or the scanner and if you find items in quick succession, you also get extra points.
So far the puzzles have been easy, however I did run into a couple of STD's, but the differences were fairly easy to spot.
Finding the swifts is challenging, but not impossible.
All in all, I think this is a fun and interesting game and a good buy at $2.99.

puzzledone
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,182 Posts

[Post New]by puzzledone on Dec 10, 10 7:42 PM
I forget to mention that scanner which is a great help. You can click an item on list and see the silohette (however that's spelled LOL) of it for searching. But if you have too many wrong clicks I think you lose the scanner for a minute or so before it is operable again. So, word plus an outline does save from having to use a hint. Scanner won't help you with bolts or swallows tho. Seems on one of the later walkthroughs at the end it shows where all the swallows are or bolts but I didn't see that at the bottom til I had finished. I get the last 2 mixed up, this Atlantis one was the third one.

Edit to correct, it's 3rd game.

Edited on 12/10/2010 at 7:43:55 PM PST

gimmegames
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,231 Posts

[Post New]by gimmegames on Dec 10, 10 9:37 PM
I just played the demo hour. I found it fairly easy, including the lightning bolts - but I did remember to set my monitor to 100% contrast and brightness before playing - which I always do for hidden object games.

Seems like a fine game for 3 bucks. I think I'll pass on it myself though, just because I already have so many hidden object games I haven't played thru yet.

Edited on 12/10/2010 at 9:39:07 PM PST

[Post New]by WiccanWoman530 on Dec 11, 10 8:48 AM
I think I'm with gimmiegames, I have yet to hit my 100th game played and have ...well..a lot more than that! I need to get through what I do have and am coming across some games that are like having teeth pulled, don't need anymore! My poor eyeballs are burning from letters from nowhere, don't think I'm in the mood to hunt for tiny items in a cartoon style game...to me they blend in worse!
So even as a DD no buy for me..whew that was hard for me the queen of buy all DDs to even type LOL!

Go to: