[Post New]by cleoladycat on Dec 11, 10 12:25 AM
Any comments or reviews?

fudgem
Starfish
Starfish
57 Posts

Re:Hidden world of art. Todays DD Dec. 11

[Post New]by fudgem on Dec 11, 10 1:10 AM
I bought this a long time ago, and really enjoyed it, in my opinion it is well worth the .full price, an absolute bargain at 2.99

[Post New]by alvertis5706 on Dec 11, 10 1:24 AM
I also bought this awhile back and think It's worth the DD. For a has-been art major like myself, it's very satisfying to clean the junk out of the paintings.

gimmegames
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,231 Posts

[Post New]by gimmegames on Dec 11, 10 1:52 AM
I just finished playing the hour demo. I have to admit I enjoyed it. And it's just different enough that I think I want to go ahead and add it to my collection, for 3 bucks.

I wouldn't pay full price for it myself - it's a straight HOG, dark in some places, various hidden object types like spot the difference, silhouette, and multiple object ones - but for me the hints were adequate when I needed them.

As alvertis5706 mentioned, it is nice that when you get done, you have a cleaned up work of art to look at, and there is some satisfaction in that.

Edited on 12/11/2010 at 1:53:51 AM PST

calsmom2001
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,785 Posts

[Post New]by calsmom2001 on Dec 11, 10 5:09 AM
Well, this was a pleasant surprise in two ways: first, I thought I had played it a long time ago and would find the trial expired, and second, it wasn't "Hidden Secrets of Great Art", the game I HAD played (and hadn't much liked, though I don't remember why).

As a DD, this game is a great little pickup. Nice clear graphics, appropriate to the subject matter. Pretty simple, as the objects you need to find are all "inappropriate" for their painting. I liked the bonus rounds that let you learn extra points. Although I am not a big fan of silhouette HOGs, these weren't bad, and even the FTDs, which I HATE, played fair and had the differences in bright, clear paintings, at least so far.

The real pluses for me were getting to decorate the room (I just LOVE decorating!) and being able to zoom in on the paintings in the gallery. I can then save them and use them in my jigsaw puzzle game. All in all, for $2.99, to me this game is a STEAL!

jennsmom
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,207 Posts

[Post New]by jennsmom on Dec 11, 10 6:02 AM
My only criticism so far (19 minutes of play) is the loading time between scenes. I'm really enjoying this! Can't wait to see what other paintings I'll be restoring. It's a buy for me.

catfrog
Seahorse
Seahorse
27 Posts

[Post New]by catfrog on Dec 11, 10 7:01 AM
Absolutely a buy for me! I remember playing part of the demo a good while back. Loved the choices of artworks, and starting to decorate Lana's room.

For some reason, cleaning up stuff in HOGs is very satisfying to me. Often wished there was a "neaten up this area" option in other games.

joyce2121
Manatee
Manatee
4,490 Posts

[Post New]by joyce2121 on Dec 11, 10 8:41 AM
Can't say no at DD price.

Sure it's a straight hog, but with different types of searches;
fifty paintings to search; bonus three-in-a-row finds; beautiful
paintings to admire and an apartment to decorate.

Perfect game to keep handy for those "I just want to play a
short time" moments. Pop in, clean up a few paintings and
come back, hours, days even weeks later.

cyndrap
Guppy
Guppy
124 Posts

[Post New]by cyndrap on Dec 11, 10 1:22 PM
NIce little game and a good deal at $2.99
And thanks to the other fishes that posted about this is not the "Secrets of Great Art" HOG - I was not happy with that DD

Poutoule
Archerfish
Archerfish
41,630 Posts

[Post New]by Poutoule on Dec 11, 10 2:53 PM
Gave it a go and found it quite nice to look at the paintings after you cleaned them. A DD...won't resist.

KathyD56
Guppy
Guppy
137 Posts

[Post New]by KathyD56 on Dec 11, 10 5:52 PM
I enjoyed the demo, so purchased the game. The artwork is beautiful and interesting and it is fun decorating the room.
Some of the Hidden Objects are hard to find, but most aren't, and I have only had to purchase a few hints. Of course, some of the paintings are harder than others, so the game may get harder in later levels.
Anyway at the DD price, this is a nice purchase for HOG fans.

Marie_O
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
17 Posts

[Post New]by Marie_O on Dec 11, 10 6:09 PM
I really hated this game. It seemed ok during the trial, but as you play it just becomes annoying.
The dialog is really bad. It's broken english full of grammar and spelling mistakes.
There's just no sense in that. It just shows how much effort went into the game.

The items you need to find are things that obviously don't belong. Unfortunately, they will stack graphics on top of graphics. In one of the bonus sections, you have to find the items in order. After searching forEVER I gave up. It finally turned up later, behind something else. WHAT?

It's just a poor game.

stellmac
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
16 Posts

[Post New]by stellmac on Dec 11, 10 7:31 PM
Have managed to zoom into a picture in the gallery, but can anyone tell me how to save the image e.g. to use in a jigsaw program as "calsmom2001" does?

Edited on 12/11/2010 at 7:38:46 PM PST

Athena99
Guppy
Guppy
169 Posts

[Post New]by Athena99 on Dec 11, 10 8:34 PM
I find dealing with masterpiece works of art appealing. I played Hidden World of Art 2 a while back and was hoping it would eventually DD, but never played this one until now. Yes, there were some annoying things. I think that instead of ambient sounds that are supposed to reflect what is happening in the picture, it should have had classical music as in the game Mystery Masterpiece: The Moonstone. Some of the objects were a real (and sometimes aggravating) challenge, but I liked the way it at least varied in the manner to which each picture had to be "restored". This might not be the best game for a small monitor. The most annoying thing, I found so far was that we were never given the title of the painting in which one had to find the differences; the girl standing in a bedroom. I sure hope it shows up later as it did not show up in the gallery as did all the others and I would love to know the title and artist. I'm buying this game and if if Hidden World of Art 2 ever show up as a DD, I'm getting that too.

Mamalita
Clownfish
Clownfish
634 Posts

[Post New]by Mamalita on Dec 11, 10 8:49 PM
Just finished the game. I found the find the difference ones got very picky. I was able to do all the bonus three in a row without much problem. I had to use the hints quite a lot when I wasn't sure what the item was. Penalties for excessive clicking and a loss of a 1000 points if any hints were used. I will like to play it again, now that I know what is expected so that i can have more fun decorating the room. The broken English bugged me a little bit, but it was obviously a poor job of translating.

Poutoule
Archerfish
Archerfish
41,630 Posts

[Post New]by Poutoule on Dec 12, 10 1:49 PM
Finished it and enjoyed it though sometimes, looking for a goblet your ended with a basin or a vase......... I liked it enough to go and check the N0 2.

LovetoMissLisa
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,823 Posts

[Post New]by LovetoMissLisa on Mar 25, 11 12:36 AM
I have this game already and it's quit a gem. If your an art lover your going to absolutely love it. If your not an art lover, you will become one after seeing these amazing paintings and learning some history. At DD prices it's a steal and I highly recommend getting this game for sure. You won't be disapointed.

‘ ‘
(o)

puzzledone
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,182 Posts

[Post New]by puzzledone on Mar 25, 11 1:17 AM
I was quickly passing on this DD, thought I tried it before and hated it by the end of the demo. Glad I came here because maybe it was another Secret art one. As I recall that was timed and had to start over or replay levels and flat out gave up.

This sounds more like worth an hour to demo. I do love beautiful classical paintings but also like a game that is player friendly and not timed. Comments didn't mention timer, and I don't recall decorating a room in the other one, just teeny objects and under pressure stressed me out.

Thanks, now I'll give it a try (LOVE DD sleepers for punches)

puzzledone
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,182 Posts

[Post New]by puzzledone on Mar 25, 11 3:17 AM
Thanks so much for resurrecting this old thread. I did about 20 min of it and it's a buy. I'll just tolerate the find the differences to get to the next HOG painting.

It looked lovely on my laptop, 17", intro was widescreen, but as usual the game itself reduces down (wouldn't want classic paintings distorted anyway). But I only had to use 2 hints, objects were mostly clear enough to see on small screen. I'm going to d/l on my pc now and get a bigger game picture on reg monitor, bigger objects to see.

It did have music, relaxing, classical or whatever it was wasn't annoying. My only confusion was on the bonus 3 in a row. I got one easily. Then later when the list of 3 popped up I clicked on the first object and it stopped me and warned something about losing that bonus if I played it now (?). But I went ahead and clicked all 3 anyway from the other list. Maybe you aren't supposed to do the bonus until finished the full list? No, that's not it, they are on there too. Guess I better go back and read the tutorial.

Anyway, it's just the right game for me at the right time, before bedtime, simple game and better than dreaming of vampires. Nice little "sleeper" gem.

jennsmom
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,207 Posts

[Post New]by jennsmom on Mar 25, 11 4:06 AM
I purchased this game some time ago and enjoyed it very much. It is a straight HOG, but with bright colors, clear graphics, and one can overlook the dialogue which is...laughable. Still, I was happy I purchased the game and I'll probably play it again some time. It was fun to clean up the paintings. BTW, this recommendation is only for this game. The sequel was .

Go to: