bfgFlounder
12,864 Posts

Your Comments and Reviews for Sherlock Holmes and the Hound of the Baskervilles

[Post New]by bfgFlounder on Dec 11, 10 12:58 AM
Hey Fishies! What do you think of Sherlock Holmes and the Hound of the Baskervilles? We value your reviews, as do many of the other fishies in our pond, so feel free to post your comments, opinions, hints and tips in this thread!

Remember, a lot of people who will be reading this thread will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

Happy gaming!

bfgFlounder

rhonayotte
Catfish
Catfish
1,555 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Sherlock Holmes and the Hound of the Baskervilles

[Post New]by rhonayotte on Dec 11, 10 1:18 AM
YAAY!! Finally! The SE version is here! Only played for a little bit and already LOVE it! Graphics, music, H O scenes....impressive so far! Come across 2 puzzles and was able to do them just fine. I can see that I will really want to take my time with this one...looks so far like there is a lot to explore. I'm a happy happy person! and already give this one 5 and a BIG

kristidumplin
Manatee
Manatee
3,656 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Sherlock Holmes and the Hound of the Baskervilles

[Post New]by kristidumplin on Dec 11, 10 1:01 PM
I am a huge Sherlock Holmes fan - books, that is.., but the other Sherlock Holmes games wouldn't work on my computer (yes, did CS, upgrading, everything they tell you to do), but the darn things just wouldn't work. I downloaded the demo this afternoon, hoping that this game would work, and it does! It downloaded with no trouble and played without a hitch of any kind.

The music is fine - it's there, but you don't really notice it too much.
Graphics - really good - clear and crisp.
Tutorial - I always use the tutorial when it's offered because I'm not an experienced hidden object player and the tutorials offered in the demo were very helpful, but I'm sure it wouldn't be necessary if you are more experienced with these games than I am.
Talking - a little bit wordy when doing the intro, but I don't mind that, as I love the Hound story, but it might be something others would wish to skip.
Puzzles - again, I'm not as experienced as some, so the puzzles will be a breeze to those who are more clever than I am, but I muddled through. There is a skip button, just in case.
I didn't need to use the available hint system during the demo.
Two methods of gameplay available - I, of course, chose the easier one...object scenes are sparkly - that kind of thing.
No timer..hooray!

It's a buy for me,

Mr_Russ
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,662 Posts

[Post New]by Mr_Russ on Dec 11, 10 1:07 PM
Talking - a little bit wordy when doing the intro, but I don't mind that, as I love the Hound story, but it might be something others would wish to skip.
This is Frogwares' Hound story and owes nothing to Sir Arthur Conan Doyle besides some of the names.

Edited on 12/12/2010 at 3:09:31 AM PST

GrammaKj
Clownfish
Clownfish
541 Posts

[Post New]by GrammaKj on Dec 11, 10 2:06 PM
I finished the CE a couple of days ago and I rate this game in my top 3. I liked it better than MCF 13th Skull and Haunted Legends: Queen of Spades.

laraly
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
428 Posts

[Post New]by laraly on Dec 11, 10 4:26 PM
I have finished the C E version a few days ago too, and is amomg the best I have played so far!!!

katlady3
Squid
Squid
68 Posts

[Post New]by katlady3 on Dec 11, 10 6:44 PM
GrammaKj wrote:I finished the CE a couple of days ago and I rate this game in my top 3. I liked it better than MCF 13th Skull and Haunted Legends: Queen of Spades.

I'm trying to decide which game to buy...13th skull, Queen of Spades, or this one! I just finished the 60 min demo, and I really enjoyed playing this game. I didn't want to stop, but I've got a choice to make. Is this entire game better than the other 2? Which one will give me the longest playing time? Thanks for your input!

xssa
Minnow
Minnow
228 Posts

[Post New]by xssa on Dec 11, 10 6:47 PM
I LOVED THIS GAME!!!!
i was getting sick of too many hidden objects (hog) and loved all the puzzles. the map, to move from one room to another quick, was wonderful. the graphics were really good, the music was good, the acting wasn't too bad.
i loved this game. i only skipped one or two puzzles. most of the clues were goo denough i didn't have to use a hint even once. the hidden objects, like five or six scenes, were well lit and no small objects.
there's an easy and hard level, and medals for doing things like no hints or finding all objects in under a minute.
this is a great game. i tried the free trial and bought the game, finsihed in one sitting.

GrammaKj
Clownfish
Clownfish
541 Posts

[Post New]by GrammaKj on Dec 11, 10 9:40 PM
katlady3 wrote:
GrammaKj wrote:I finished the CE a couple of days ago and I rate this game in my top 3. I liked it better than MCF 13th Skull and Haunted Legends: Queen of Spades.

I'm trying to decide which game to buy...13th skull, Queen of Spades, or this one! I just finished the 60 min demo, and I really enjoyed playing this game. I didn't want to stop, but I've got a choice to make. Is this entire game better than the other 2? Which one will give me the longest playing time? Thanks for your input!

I haven't finished Queen of Spades yet but 13th Skull took me longer than this one. So far I've spend 4 hours on Queen of Spades, 13th Skull took almost twice as long and Sherlock Holmes not as long. For playing enjoyment I liked Sherlock Holmes the best, but that's just my opinion. Perhaps someone that has finished all 3 could give you an idea of the length of each.

Capthowdy64
Minnow
Minnow
268 Posts

[Post New]by Capthowdy64 on Dec 11, 10 10:27 PM

Really? I like Queen of Spades a lot more but then again,I'm partial to the developer

Mr_Russ
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,662 Posts

[Post New]by Mr_Russ on Dec 12, 10 3:12 AM
Malicia69 wrote:This game was too dark and objects weren't easy to find. It may be an interesting game for some, but not my cup of tea. I like straight hidden object games without too many tasks to accomplish in the one level. Graphics were a bit fuzzy, just too dark for my eyes

Not a buy for me.
You should have gamma as one of your in-game options, Malicia. Turn that up to lighten your display.

Maven
Clownfish
Clownfish
944 Posts

[Post New]by Maven on Dec 12, 10 7:57 AM
xssa wrote:
The map, to move from one room to another quick, was wonderful.

When I choose to play a game at "difficult" level in order to make it more challenging (and thus more fun for me), I expect no shortcuts, hints, or help. Personally, I wish the map and the pop-up option to jump to a scene immediately were turned off when a user selects "difficult" level of play.
I agree with you though, that it's a nice feature when someone doesn't want to backtrack rooms or remember where an item was to be placed.

Leanda1
Clownfish
Clownfish
513 Posts

[Post New]by Leanda1 on Dec 12, 10 3:45 PM
I know I played 13th Skull & Queen of Spades, yet the only game I remember as being good was Sherlock!! So I guess this will be my purchase this month. I own all the MCF games and am suprised that I don't remember a a thing about the stupid skull game yet Sherlock stands out as a "buy" as a SE??? Anyone else feel this way?

hippyfishie
Minnow
Minnow
295 Posts

[Post New]by hippyfishie on Dec 13, 10 3:01 AM
I really love this game! It might not be pull your hair out hard but it's great fun and its kept my interest big time! I love the detailed environments and switching back and forth in time and the story still makes sense. I read the original story and I didn't expect they could do anything good with the game but I am happily surprised. Would love to see more like this (and yes, maybe a little harder). I have read all the Arthur Conan Doyle stories and there's lots for them to do. I recommend it to anyone. I always wait for the SE to come out. Sick of wallpapers and avatars. Just bonus content, BF! Then I will buy.

angelfish106
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,378 Posts

[Post New]by angelfish106 on Dec 13, 10 6:15 AM
One word....fantastic!

Wanted to start over again as soon as I'd finished the game, which is rare. Will try hard mode next time and also see if I can solve the puzzles I skipped, although there weren't that many. An extremely enjoyable game, great graphics, perhaps a bit 'chatty' for some but dialogue was witty and interesting (could relate to Watson's spider phobia!).

Well worth buying and huge well done to developers for a very entertaining game.

gaylele
Guppy
Guppy
137 Posts

[Post New]by gaylele on Dec 13, 10 8:01 AM
I enjoyed the game! Played in hard mode, and took about 5 hours to get through the first time. Will definitely play again, and see if I can get a better time!

Give this game a big thumbs up!

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Dec 13, 10 8:51 AM
I almost got a severe shock when the game opened on my widescreen Windows 7 laptop, and there were no black borders!! I am just not used to this kind of service. LOL

I quite enjoyed the demo when I played the CE version, but I am not so sure now whether I want to buy this game. I find the images rather grainy after having experienced the clear and clean images of 13th Skull and Queen of Spades.

Also, what is it with the sun beams that are constantly put into the scenes? They don´t add anything nice and just make it hard for me to find objects.

Gameplay is not bad, but I will wait and think about the game a little more before deciding whether I will or won´t buy it.

ETA: Just wanted to add that although I do appreciate the fact that this game plays automatically in widescreen, the images are stretched, and therefore I would rather just see the normal-sized screen with the black borders on either side.
I know that some people prefer widescreen even if the images stretch, but I don´t like it at all. Doesn´t look nice at all.

Edited on 12/14/2010 at 2:56:16 AM PST

cnbmimi11
Guppy
Guppy
192 Posts

[Post New]by cnbmimi11 on Dec 13, 10 2:04 PM
just finished the game and loved it..the story line was interested and even tho I knew the story, it was still fun to play it..keep up the good work..

ryanjohn
Seahorse
Seahorse
33 Posts

[Post New]by ryanjohn on Dec 13, 10 8:07 PM
I love this style of game and I really liked this one. I would buy if I had the extra money or credits. I won't buy now though because it was too easy for me and I played in the difficult mode. I couldn't believe how many of the hidden object scenes and puzzles I was able to solve in under a minute. I didn't need any hints which is strange for me in this type of game. Yet, I enjoyed the storyline, graphics, type of game play, and even the map style. It was relaxing to sit back and not get frustrated.

Overall, it was a fantastic demo that I wish I had the extra cash to buy.

roxiestar74
Minnow
Minnow
290 Posts

[Post New]by roxiestar74 on Dec 13, 10 8:44 PM
katlady3 wrote:

I would love to play Queen of Spades, but it doesn't want to work right for me. There is a lag problem, and re-installing the game did not solve it. So I can't give you an opinion on that game. But I am about half way through Hound of Baskervilles and I am really enjoying it. I played 13th Skull and liked it for a little while, but then started to get reallly annoyed with it towards the end. Length-wise I would think that 13th Skull is longer than Hound of Baskervilles, but length doesn't necessarily equate more enjoyment, especially if you get annoyed with a game near the end and just want it to be over. Although I haven't finished Hound of Baskervilles, I have really enjoyed the first half and think that it gets better as I keep playing, so based on that I would recommend it over 13th Skull. I have been playing for about 3 hrs, and as mentioned, am halfway through (I looked at the walkthrough to find out how far along I am), so I'm guessing it will take me about 6 hrs to finish, and I consider myself an intermediate player (I'm faster than some people, and slower than some other people, based on what people post as their game lengths). But yeah, I do think that Hound of Baskervilles can give you many hours of enjoyment, and recommend it!

Go to: