[Post New]by gimmegames on Dec 12, 10 12:25 AM
Post 'em if ya got 'em...

Legabriel
Starfish
Starfish
46 Posts

Re:Age Of Oracles: Tara`s Journey - DD for 12Dec2010 - Comments and Reviews

[Post New]by Legabriel on Dec 12, 10 1:33 AM
OH MY!! What a charming game! I love the opening graphics, so crisp and clear! Beautiful! I haven't played very far yet, had to stop to buy the game and post a comment. With some of the negative reviews I saw I was a little afraid this would disappoint, but it did not. It is a wonderful little game. Very different from what I thought it would be and beautiful graphics. I have the sound off because I should be in bed, LOL but will check it out tomorrow. So far I really like the game. Will try to post more tomorrow, but I am terrible at reviews, LOL
Have fun everyone!!

HUGS

puzzledone
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,182 Posts

[Post New]by puzzledone on Dec 12, 10 3:37 AM
Where are all our DD jumpers tonight (after midnight PST)?? Just one here, maybe the rest already have this game like me. I bought it over a year ago, seems like 2, because I was rather new at these interactive quests or adventure games. So, it was too simplistic for a lot of seasoned adventurers, but was a bonanza for me at the time.

Good for "older children" say some reviews. Hope that includes a 74 year old who can still marvel at a beautiful storybook and fairy tales. I spent nights in amusement helping Tara through her challenges working her way through each Tarot card lesson. And this is the only game I have played which uses Tarot as meant to be used in purity, no occult fortune telling abuse but a teaching tool, reflecting life's challenges, learning to see both sides of a coin. Death for one, scare you? How about meaning of Winter, plants dying, animals hibernating, rest til renewal of spring. Just as example, but we need to reflect on and use Strength to just get through one more day or experience. Each card symbolic of a character trait to develop to grow.

So, to me the only thing "occult" in this is as in most fairy tales, magical happenings strange characters, each pulling out the best in us. OK, I'm sounding heavy handed, but I just see more in this creative game than just a "junkpile hog" or easy monotony. On my screen crisp clear colorful graphics top notch. (I collected Tarot cards and wish I had this version to admire after the game)

Fun stuff going on here doing tasks, simple puzzles and minis, some tasks take a few tries and a bit more thought before running to a walkthrough. It seemed sooo long so I broke it up into several chapters or more over maybe 4 nights like a bedtime story.

Well, don't take my word, try an hour and relax, Mama reading you a story and you get to play with the toys and a wonderful peacock to help you on your journey. Or, take Poodlebears word when she helped us decide last year, a PB approved.

Seasoned adventurers or HOG non-lovers go head and yawn and let us have our fun time, and what's more fun than $2.99?? Oh, free I guess but save your punch codes for another day.At least this is another punch to get you there for next month's freebie.

PS now that I've talked it up by memory I think I'll just reinstall it and play again. The other TGT really sounds like a dud and I could use some light entertainment before lights out.

Edited on 12/12/2010 at 3:44:38 AM PST

[Post New]by BarbaraFish on Dec 12, 10 3:52 AM
Really nice review PuzzleDone. I was on the fence because it did seem a might easy, but you convinced me. The graphics are indeed beautiful, the voice overs crisp and i need some fun without brain strain occasionally. I did find some of the items well hidden, but no need for the walkthrough yet. Other than to determine this is a very long game. It's a buy for me.

puzzledone
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,182 Posts

[Post New]by puzzledone on Dec 12, 10 4:17 AM
Well thank you BarbaraFish, hope I didn't mislead anyone. Name is Puzzled One LOL. But that's what free demos are for. Don't remember details only that the title made me smile remembering how much I like it then. But I'm always a pushover for gorgeous artwork, even if I have to struggle thru the hard ones which is about all I've been doing lately. I'm one of the few who enjoyed Twisted Tales, maybe I'm just twisted, or gone braindead over adventure games. This time of year for me is no time to overtax myself into frustration. I'm finding a lot of the simpler older games just fit.
(Altho I did buy Queen of Spades. Why?? Artwork, plus some said it was too easy LOL) So far haven't needed a WT or the SG just once to find my place when I stopped.

btw, some muted the sound on this one, and as I recall it had voice overs. Now how can one know the story without sound? Then I guess it would be boring. But as one reminded me, how the objects do move on replaying a scene, lots of things to do anyway. And after a hunt, I like mini games to be easy like a needed intermission. As in Huntsville and Prime Suspects, just a little change of pace before the next HOG. Others have hard complex puzzles (skip buttons now) then back to easy HOGs.

Happy gaming!

Bobbie53
Squid
Squid
75 Posts

[Post New]by Bobbie53 on Dec 12, 10 6:14 AM
I just started playiing this game and am very enchanted with it. It is very relaxing and visually full filling. Thought I would break to see what was being said in case I had to invoke a positive note.

Thank you PuzzledOne (btw, I also thought it was PuzzleDone).

Your response is perfect. I now know what to expect and it appears to be good.

joyce2121
Manatee
Manatee
4,490 Posts

[Post New]by joyce2121 on Dec 12, 10 7:20 AM
I'm disappointed.

No, no, no, not in the game

I love the game for all the reasons puzzledone stated. It's just
that in my purchase history it's called "Age of Oracles" period.
And I thought this was a sequel I must have missed. Alas, not
so. Same game just difference in title. Weeeeeeeell, since I've
reinstalled it, good one to play on this rainy Sunday.

Dynastia
Guppy
Guppy
159 Posts

[Post New]by Dynastia on Dec 12, 10 7:28 AM
Bobbie53 wrote:Thank you PuzzledOne (btw, I also thought it was PuzzleDone).

Me too! And I think it was just too cute! Reading you, Puzzled One was a joy. But you puzzled US with your name.

As for this game, I am tempted to buy it now but it was on my no-buy list and I cannot replay the demo. I hope BF gives us the opportunity to download a new demo for an already and long time ago played game. Tastes change!

Have a great day everyone.

Edit: I read comments from genkicoll's and others who say it is nice at first and then gets boring. I guess that's why I put it on my no-buy list. I will wait for this one.

Edited on 12/12/2010 at 7:33:44 AM PST

kimberph
Minnow
Minnow
236 Posts

[Post New]by kimberph on Dec 12, 10 9:50 AM
I like this one. The graphics are attractive and super clean (way too many of the HOGs have fuzzy graphics on my machine, though many of the ones that other people complain about are clear for me, not sure what this means about my hardware/software).

Without a timer, any penalties for random clicking, or any rewards for completion of the chapters (at least as far as I can discern about a third of the way through the game), it feels more like an interactive novel than a game. No judgement on this, just a recognition that it is a different kind of experience.

Mostly I don't buy HOGs. It isn't that I dislike them, it is just that there are so many and they are mostly so short (as far as I can tell from Walkthroughs, I'm usually more than half way through when the demo time is up) and have no replay value so don't seem worth the price. I bought this one. It looks like it will take 3-4 hours and since I'm snowed in today it seemed like a good way to spend my time.

[Post New]by gizmospooky on Dec 12, 10 1:02 PM
An enjoyable game, not the hardest one out there, but very nicely done graphics. A more relaxing game than some, but certainly worth the daily deal price. A buy for me.

Snipis
Starfish
Starfish
43 Posts

[Post New]by Snipis on Dec 12, 10 1:56 PM
Okay I am aggravated. I bought the game and it promptly froze up right after and won't work now. I now see in the other thread that someone else had this problem of the game freezing after trying to fix the chariot. No replies in how to fix this. Anyone else have this happen recently?

Kizmit
Clownfish
Clownfish
585 Posts

[Post New]by Kizmit on Dec 12, 10 3:25 PM
Move over Fishies! I thought it was Puzzle Done too.
For the longest time I thought Peg Leg Ann was Pegle Gann! Oops! LOL
I would like to add that I enjoy reading Puzzled Ones reviews as well as Peg Leg Ann's reviews and a host of others.
Kizmit

P.S. I bought this game too because I liked what Puzzled One wrote about it!
I'm sure I will like it!!

Edited on 12/12/2010 at 3:28:22 PM PST

[Post New]by daisyduck352 on Dec 12, 10 3:51 PM
I was pleasantly surprised and liked what I have played so far. After trying Jewelry Secret this is a good buy at $2.99. So good thing I downloaded it to try it out as time is running out. Have a lot of trial left...so have to make up my mind soon. Liked the music and enjoyed the story line..

jellow10
Guppy
Guppy
160 Posts

[Post New]by jellow10 on Dec 12, 10 4:26 PM
I, too, thought this game was a good deal as a DD. I bought it after trying the demo and reading the mostly positive comments. I must have tried it once upon a time because the beginning was familiar but that could have been back when I just started gaming and wasn't very good at anything other than straight hogs. But since I have a new laptop I was able to try it all over again.

It's a pleasant enough game, not terribly challenging, but sometimes I just don't want any hair-pulling. I like the voice-overs, the graphics, and the quickly recharging hints. It is a bit repetitious but what I do like about it is I can just pick it up, play a few chapters and then go on to something else. I don't have to worry about remembering lots of details when I come back to it. Like goofyduck always says, I don't have to wear out a lot of shoes playing it. It's an enjoyable diversion when I just want to play for a short time. I'm sure I'll not regret getting it as a DD.

EnvirEng
Guppy
Guppy
152 Posts

[Post New]by EnvirEng on Dec 12, 10 4:47 PM
I bought it after demo-ing for about 15 minutes. It is a very nice game, with some variation on the H0G scenes (from what I've seen). Pretty and relaxing. After finishing Green Hill Sanitarium, this is just what I need. Probably would be good for older kids, but I like to think that describes me too. At 45, I might be a much older kid. ;-)

lilyr
Marlin
Marlin
8,137 Posts

[Post New]by lilyr on Dec 12, 10 7:06 PM
What a charming game! I read Poodlebear's review ( I don't think there was a DD review thread yet) and decided to give it a shot. After 40 minutes I had just gotten to chapter 4. If there are 22 chapters that's almost 4 hours of game play for me. No, it's not challenging, but sometimes an easy game that you can play chapter by chapter is just the right thing. And you can't beat the price!

Videohound
Lobster
Lobster
92 Posts

[Post New]by Videohound on Dec 12, 10 7:54 PM
[quote=jellow10.

It's a pleasant enough game, not terribly challenging, but sometimes I just don't want any hair-pulling. I like the voice-overs, the graphics, and the quickly recharging hints. It is a bit repetitious but what I do like about it is I can just pick it up, play a few chapters and then go on to something else. I don't have to worry about remembering lots of details when I come back to it. Like goofyduck always says, I don't have to wear out a lot of shoes playing it. It's an enjoyable diversion when I just want to play for a short time. I'm sure I'll not regret getting it as a DD.

Yup. Well said! Sometims you just want something nice to chill to. I bought it after about 35 min. I don't think I'd pay full price for it but DD is worth it.

lilyr
Marlin
Marlin
8,137 Posts

[Post New]by lilyr on Jan 21, 11 3:35 PM
lilyr wrote:What a charming game! I read Poodlebear's review ( I don't think there was a DD review thread yet) and decided to give it a shot. After 40 minutes I had just gotten to chapter 4. If there are 22 chapters that's almost 4 hours of game play for me. No, it's not challenging, but sometimes an easy game that you can play chapter by chapter is just the right thing. And you can't beat the price!

I recently finished this game and changed my mind. I'm in no way shape or form an iHOG/Adventure gamer. Sometimes i DO like a straight HOG. I found this game boring in the extreme. Junkpile HOG with items that don't fit the story or necessarily even the room they are in. You keep going back to the same scenes. The items don't change positon. Quite often you are looking for the same items you found in a previous run-through. That was unfortunate because there are plenty of items in the rooms that I was never asked to find. By the end of the game I was thinking that $2.99 US was still waaay too much to pay for it.

IYBAKH
Minnow
Minnow
226 Posts

[Post New]by IYBAKH on May 13, 11 12:22 PM
What a beautiful, charming game! I loved the beautiful graphics and music. This was not a difficult game -- just refreshing and fun! Each character gave Tara certain tasks to complete. It was well-planned and flowed smoothly. I will enjoy playing this again and again in-between the "heavier" games.

[Post New]by cobra397 on Feb 26, 12 12:09 PM
HELLO PUZZLEDONE.JUST LIKE TO LET YOU KNOW.I AM 74 YEARS AGE AND I ENJOY THIS GAME SO MUCH I PLAY IT OVER AND OVER ALONG WITH ANOTHER FAVORITE"ALLORA AND THE BROKEN PORTAL.
STAY HAPPY ALL

Go to: