Senior Citizens sign in!!

famvir3
Guppy
Guppy
153 Posts

Re:Senior Citizens sign in!!

[Post New]by famvir3 on Oct 8, 17 11:55 AM
Last night I got two BONUS notices when I opened two different games. I lost both games, so I don't know what the BONUS feature means. Double the payout if you win? A special boost? I haven't seen the bonus notification since, but I'm wondering if any of you are familiar with it.

lawaters
Lobster
Lobster
93 Posts

[Post New]by lawaters on Oct 8, 17 12:44 PM
Jolliejackie wrote:Thanks GamingGrampa and Kailuaauntie I really appreciate your replies.
I had gotten used to the September update and daily was carefull to scroll past the drill to recoup some coins.
After last update this was tweaked again. So now when I sell ie bricks, coins are allotted. Before I can sell hats or pinks it's back at the start, the buying of resources.
So either all of you have had this happen since September, or both me and my iPad are in the twilight zone!
I thought I was confused before new updates but now I'm totally addled!!

Same thing on my iPad since I updated a few days ago. Scroll to the right to SELL resources for coins. Prior to the update, the screen did not scroll all the way back to the left to BUY resources. Now it does just that. Click the first icon to SELL the resources and the screen slides left. I have to scroll right again to hit another icon to sell resources and the screen slides left again. An irritating UI change to be sure.

[Post New]by Jolliejackie on Oct 8, 17 3:27 PM
Lawaters, really thankful and relieved to read your post.
I actually think that the resources buy/sell centre had become confusing enough without adding this extra change.

Trav3lbird
Clownfish
Clownfish
699 Posts

[Post New]by Trav3lbird on Oct 8, 17 10:16 PM
If you are playing MONSTERVILLE I just put up the rewards for intern levels and building all the monuments with the resources required in the resources thread.

[Post New]by OOo_jules_oOO on Oct 8, 17 10:49 PM
Jolliejackie, I too had that happen with the selling resources, now, its different and that bit that you could easily hit to buy resources when you dont' want to doesn't come up after selling them all for coins. Strange.

On the issue of time to download the cities, I was SO not impressed over this last weekend away. I had done the update in general prior to leaving, but didnt' realise EVERY city would have to be redone YET AGAIN. The only cities for whatever reason did not need it, were Sydney, which I have done 100% and can't be bothered replaying just for fun, and Seoul. Of all the cities to open, REALLY! did it HAVE to be that one? I have completed all main levels but the side path levels had some not done on them, but I did NOT enjoy playing them and so played other games in my down time. I got a little internet saturday night, so I quickly downloaded Monsterville so I had something new to play till I got home. At least that was more enjoyable. When I got home yesterday evening, I downloaded all the cities, it took the ipad OVER 2 hours to go through them all. GD, this is SO frustrating and really annoying! I do not see the point in all this having to redo it all so often. Do they really know how much they are driving us mad with all these constant changes? I do NOT have to do any of this on ANY other game. And, yes, am back to day one yet again on the new so called 'improved' treasure chest. NOT an improved one in my opinion!

Edited on 10/08/2017 at 10:51:09 PM PST

[Post New]by kailuaauntie on Oct 10, 17 8:48 AM
I am wondering if the issue of the time needed to download updates lies with each player's system and WiFi speed rather than with the update itself. On my iPad, each city loads in about 4 to 5 seconds. Granted, frequent updates can be a pain, but I am able to do them quickly.

lordkalvan
Stingray
Stingray
5,352 Posts

[Post New]by lordkalvan on Oct 10, 17 9:41 AM
Some of it will be the device and the wifi bandwidth. Some of it will be the speed of the server at the moment, so if a lot of players are hitting the server it will be slower. Some of it will even be the distance from your device to that server, and whether one or more of the legs has to bounce off a satellite.

In the past, some updates were a lot faster than others, for the cities. This update seems to be far slower than usual, about 20 to 30 seconds each city. My internet isn't fiber to the curb, but it is respectable since I need it for work. I'm in Illinois, but I don't know where the GD servers live. If they are in Vladivostok then there is a satellite bounce or under the ocean cables. Even with a satellite bounce it should only add another second or two though.

Since some players say it is only five seconds, I'd guess the issue is when you do the downloads.

[Post New]by globetrotter217 on Oct 10, 17 10:44 AM
Trav3lbird wrote:If you are playing MONSTERVILLE I just put up the rewards for intern levels and building all the monuments with the resources required in the resources thread.

I posted all the rewards in the Monsterville thread

[Post New]by OOo_jules_oOO on Oct 10, 17 3:00 PM
I guess if the distance from the servers to the device makes a difference as to the length of time it takes to update each individual city, and if the server is in Vladivostok, then that might explain why it takes me SO long to do updates, as Australia is a fair way away, although it is in a direct line south from there. All I know is, I just get so frustrated by the whole constantly having to re do them all the time thing, it drives me nuts.

[Post New]by globetrotter217 on Oct 10, 17 3:12 PM
That can't be the reason, or the server is not in Vladivostok. My device updates esch city in seconds even though Vladivostok is much further from my hometown Munich, Germany, than from Australia.

lordkalvan
Stingray
Stingray
5,352 Posts

[Post New]by lordkalvan on Oct 10, 17 4:29 PM
Distance to server isn't measured in a straight line. For example, if a server is in the AWS East server farm (near New York I think) it usually takes seven or eight hops between intermediate servers to get to my house. I used to help maintain remote socket server games, and for the majority of our players a tiny message took less than 200ms to reach the server. Large messages are a completely different thing though, as TCP breaks them up into packets and each time a packet does not get through correctly it has to be resent. If there is one leg of the journey that has a noisy connection, that's a lot of dropped packets.

If this kind of thing bores you, ignore it. I'm a geek who loves socket servers.

Edited on 10/10/2017 at 4:29:48 PM PST

Trav3lbird
Clownfish
Clownfish
699 Posts

[Post New]by Trav3lbird on Oct 10, 17 4:43 PM
Lordkalvan - it’s all gobbledegook to me but it took about 8 seconds for each city to reload and I don’t have fibre connection down here (cities have but not little towns!) I must admit to getting bored waiting on Santa Fe, tired of going back trying to complete higher levels in earlier cities. Sun is shining so I think it is gardening time

bowiecowgirl
Squid
Squid
64 Posts

[Post New]by bowiecowgirl on Oct 10, 17 6:13 PM
Lordkalvan, I really enjoy your technical comments and your comments on game developers/development. Kind of like seeing behind the curtain for those of us who don't know the tech stuff.

[Post New]by OOo_jules_oOO on Oct 10, 17 7:58 PM
I haven't a clue about the tech side of things either but it is interesting what lordkalvan tells us, its a whole other world to me that tech side of it. All I know is that it takes me ages, and its only this game that has issues with updates and my wifi problem, not anything else. I have a pretty good fast connection most of the time, am not in the country areas so that isn't an issue. I just turn the computer or ipad on and know it works, like my car, as long as it works and gets me from A to B without letting me down, I have a mechanic who fixes it when its needed. With tech stuff though, I don't mind learning about that and as long as its not toooooooo technical, then it helps to understand things.

lordkalvan
Stingray
Stingray
5,352 Posts

[Post New]by lordkalvan on Oct 11, 17 4:00 AM
Yesterday or the day before it definitely took over 20 seconds. Just now I downloaded another city and it was about five seconds.

My money is on "too many players hitting the server at the same time". That kind of thing always slows things down to a crawl.

[Post New]by Froggieloveyou on Oct 11, 17 10:38 PM
Hi from South Africa. A big thank you for all the advice I have been following to get to Seoul 100. A respite in Monsterville before tackling the real monster of Seoul.

[Post New]by OOo_jules_oOO on Oct 13, 17 6:14 AM
Welcome Froggieloveyou, nice to have someone from a new place in the world. I am not aware of any of the 'seniors' being from South Africa. Its great having people from all over the world join in.

I have been a bit absent lately on and off from here, missed you all and apart from being away for two weekends, had a fall and have not been able to sit for any length of time as it hurt too much, so spending a lot of time on here and concentrating hasn't been a priority, I was only able to post the odd bit here and there, but getting back to it now. I have finally managed to revamp and re post the suggestions list thread but as that was such a big time consuming job, I just couldn't sit for long enough to do it properly. But now its done for another little while. I hope everyone is well.

[Post New]by Froggieloveyou on Oct 13, 17 6:23 AM
Thanks for the welcome. Took some advice and am off to Prague for the weekend. See if I can get some coins to tackle the home stretch in Seoul.

snowmanvt
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
477 Posts

[Post New]by snowmanvt on Oct 13, 17 7:12 AM
Jules, I hope you feel better very soon. Watch out for those falls. We miss your helpful comments.
In GD news, my daily challenge was in Souel. I had forgotten how insanely impossible that city is.

Edited on 10/13/2017 at 7:13:56 AM PST

[Post New]by OOo_jules_oOO on Oct 13, 17 7:26 AM
Good luck in Seoul Froggie. That was a horror city to get through. As I posted a bit above, I got stuck with having that as one of only two cities last weekend as I didn't do the re download each city before I left, i did NOT enjoy playing the levels I had not done before on the side paths. Got a few out, but not many. And thanks for the warm wishes snowman. Off to get some sleep now, its pretty late here in Australia, so goodnight all.

Go to: