bfgImbrium
Manatee
Manatee
4,236 Posts

Your Comments and Reviews for Slingo Mystery 2: The Golden Escape

[Post New]by bfgImbrium on Dec 15, 10 12:29 AM
Hey Fishies! What do you think of Slingo Mystery 2: The Golden Escape? We value your reviews, as do many of the other fishies in our pond, so feel free to post your comments, opinions, hints and tips in this thread!

Remember, a lot of people who will be reading this thread will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

Happy gaming!

bfgImbrium

niya00
Lobster
Lobster
99 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Slingo Mystery 2: The Golden Escape

[Post New]by niya00 on Dec 15, 10 1:11 AM
Yet another game downloaded that won't load. This is really getting old. Someone commented that they had gotten it from another site before todays release. Guess I'll see if I can find that site.

[Post New]by kimberly7777 on Dec 15, 10 1:30 AM
I'll play it, for a moment or two, At least they admit they went from arcade/strategy to hidden object again.

elldee2728
Shark
Shark
14,378 Posts

[Post New]by elldee2728 on Dec 15, 10 2:03 AM
I usually don't plunk down retail for games, but after enjoying the demo, impatience got the better of me and I shucked out the $ at the developer's website. I really enjoyed the first Slingo Mystery, so when [game site removed by moderator] had a heads-up about a sequel, I had to give it a try, and I'm glad I did! I've played for about an hour so far and have not experienced any glitches. This game has it all--HOG scenes (some easy, some challenging, but never unfair); Adventure (how do I get on and then off a cruise ship?); Inventory (collect and use these 3 things to further the story, etc.); colorful and distinct graphics; good voice acting; well-done Options menu (including cursor choice--the game one works fine, if a wee bit sluggish); and of course finding Slingo machines and then playing that addictive game! The background music is mostly Caribbean-style--I turned down the volume, as it can get repetitive, but it's not annoying like some soundtracks. The storyline is really good--Freddie's "better half" is suspected of foul play--can she prove her innocence to the FBI? It's absorbing, and the dialogue fits really well with the plot.

If you can wait for another portal to offer this, it'll be worth that wait. In my case, I couldn't--I'm enjoying the heck out of it right now!

P.S. Posted this on another forum on Nov 27 (b4 the BFG release)--gave it 5 stars.

Edited on 12/15/2010 at 7:44:33 PM PST

Rachieroos
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,039 Posts

[Post New]by Rachieroos on Dec 15, 10 3:29 AM
Excited to see this one - I loved Slingo Mystery, thought it was great and a good laugh. Wish I could DL right now but unfortunately am stuck at work so will have to wait until I get back... if I can kick my 6 year old off the laptop for an hour

puzzledone
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,182 Posts

[Post New]by puzzledone on Dec 15, 10 3:52 AM
I saw this title and felt a turnoff. I remember playing the first one and getting so frustrated, can't remember why exactly. The icon was on my desktop for months, couldn't force myself to go try again. But the mystery is, it's not in my Purchase History to review it. I must have d/l the full from a club I belonged to, play not own with membership. I had a hard time finding objects from tiny edges poking out under stuff, and not finding a Slingo machine then getting stuck. Maybe it was timed? Had a pc crash so maybe that's where the icon finally disappeared, later didn't renew for another year, just stuck with BF, my fav place.

Looks like many here are really having fun with the sequel. That's good, maybe I'm just too tired to give this a go. I remember I didn't like the graphics, garish, seems like everything yellow and hard edges, tacky. Am I getting picky or what? Rather look at soft colors, less sensational. I don't know if I even like excitement anymore I'm getting so "casual" these days. The Slingo was fun til I got stumped. Maybe a new mood tomorrow, so I'll keep counting the positive posts but was saving my 4 credits for games I'm anxiously waiting for. Put this on "maybe later" since that Hidden Object Show Millionaire Manor still has Grampaw locked in that cage. I'll be locked up too if I don't go win some of those spins and free him. Enough excitement for me with so much going on. But the Queen of Spades awaits me to resume my adventure there. And I'm the one always looking for light hearted games. Feels more like pin the tail on the donkey, or better blind man's bluff. Turn me around and point me for direction I should go.

Like, anyone like this better than the first? That'd be a nudge.

Edited on 12/15/2010 at 3:57:54 AM PST

Staril
Minnow
Minnow
227 Posts

[Post New]by Staril on Dec 15, 10 4:10 AM
Well ... I thought I would try it ... I really disliked the first one even though I love both H0 games and slingo. I managed a few scenes of this one ... until after the first slingo machine ... and yes ... I hate this one too. In the H0 scenes some objects stand out too well where others are hidden so you only see a little bit of something sticking out ... the only way to find them is that the cursor changes to a hand.

Sorry, definitely not for me. I know some will enjoy ... good luck to them and I hope they have fun with it.

snapnhiss
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,483 Posts

[Post New]by snapnhiss on Dec 15, 10 4:22 AM
I know where the free credit I just got is going. I LOVED the first game, have played it several times and I got pretty excited seeing there was a sequel today. Maggie Gold, I've missed you! If you haven't played the first one, take a peek. It's a good story, fun characters and very entertaining, IMHO.

puzzledone
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,182 Posts

[Post New]by puzzledone on Dec 15, 10 4:39 AM
Did someone say widescreen?? There's a nudge, missed that, Duckie, scanning.

Maybe worth a looksee on my laptop, unless you're talking 24", may blow it out to see things hiding. Tomorrow

sitecer
Starfish
Starfish
51 Posts

[Post New]by sitecer on Dec 15, 10 4:57 AM
Semi cute game.....but I am tired of running out of my 60 minute demo in under 30 minutes. Another case of a to short game for the price. Think I will wait until it comes on the $2.99 special.

Micha1234
Clownfish
Clownfish
910 Posts

[Post New]by Micha1234 on Dec 15, 10 5:08 AM
It does say FREE SAMPLE VERSION and not free hour. Is changing them all to sample version? I find it a bit odd that the last couple of games were all just a free sample. I can understand that with a CE, most of them are pretty big. But a standard HOG????

P.S. Wow...this one is pretty big, too.

Edited on 12/15/2010 at 5:10:02 AM PST

easybake
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
14 Posts

[Post New]by easybake on Dec 15, 10 5:09 AM
I was kind of excited for this game; I really liked Who's Gold so I thought I would enjoy Golden Escape, too.

I usually do the demos to gauge if I'll like a game or not. I admit, however, that I can get pretty far in a demo if not forced to stop at a certain point.. there have been some games where I have finished in the demo, with time to spare, but I digress. In doing demos, I usually feel like I go too far into a game that there's so little left to play that it's not worth purchasing.

So this is one of the games that I didn't demo so I could play through it without having to stop.. and unfortunately, I regret my decision.

Aesthetically speaking, I didn't like the graphics. I feel that Who's Gold was smoother and easier on the eyes. The voice acting was pretty atrocious as well. It was too choppy and monotonous. Midway I was hoping that I'd feel it was "so bad it was good" but in reality, it was so bad that I skipped scenes. Then there was the dialogue itself which was, for lack of a better word, lame. It made the whole "plot" seem pointless. I don't remember feeling this put off by these things in Who's Gold, but maybe that's just my opinion..

The game play was mediocre. The actually hidden object scenes weren't terribly difficult, especially if you were to play it on Easy; so easy in fact, that I was better off playing the harder mode. I was doing pretty well until the dining room scene... some of the objects were so difficult to find, it was nearly impossible without using hints. Sometimes even the hints didn't help me locate the hot spot; there were moments when I had to click multiple times (in the same area) because I wasn't quite hitting the right spot (because an object was so small) that I switched to the easier mode just so the hand icon would appear and I could finally click it. This happened a lot near the end of the game, which proved more of a frustration than a challenge. On the other side of the spectrum was how easy it was to figure things out; they made some of the objects so obvious that it was boring.

The Slingo mini-games were probably the most fun for me. With that being said, they are not as much fun as the original Slingo games and Who's Gold.

I had major buyer's remorse after finishing Golden Escape. The ending itself was anticlimactic and left room for another installment. It felt short and it felt cheap. I just hope that they take more time to make the upcoming one because this one felt rushed.

Edited on 12/15/2010 at 5:17:33 AM PST

easybake
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
14 Posts

[Post New]by easybake on Dec 15, 10 5:12 AM
easybake wrote:I had major buyer's remorse after finishing Golden Escape. The ending itself was anticlimactic and left room for another installment. I just hope that they take more time to make the upcoming one because this one felt rushed.

Tl;dr This game felt like a chore, so much so that it gave me a headache.

P.S. I was so disappointed with this game to the point of actually feeling the need to comment. The comment itself was so long that I had to post it in two comments, lol.

Edited on 12/15/2010 at 5:15:53 AM PST

LarkBea
Herring
Herring
354 Posts

[Post New]by LarkBea on Dec 15, 10 5:20 AM
Loved the first one and really enjoying this one, too. Will definitely purchase.

puzzledone
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,182 Posts

[Post New]by puzzledone on Dec 15, 10 5:37 AM
re Sample demo vs free one hour. From what Picman explained on the forum for the first Slingo Who's Gold, BF doesn't determine the length, the devs do. This game is 425mbs long file (why I dunno). So whether there is a demo or sample at all is what the devs give to sites. Even this short one is over 200mbs provided by the dev. I guess regular shorter games you d/l the whole game and GM stops it in an hour, but 425 is a long download just to try it.

You can jump over to that game forum, comments, where samples were discussed, thinking being keep demos under 200. So we are looking at mbs, not minutes. Kinda made sense to me. Especially if one has limited download time or on dialup or satellite?

elldee2728
Shark
Shark
14,378 Posts

[Post New]by elldee2728 on Dec 15, 10 5:37 AM
Hey guru puzzledone--Yep, goofyduck mentioned widescreen. And I'll stand by my opinion that this one's worth every penny (which amounts to $0.00 when you've got 4 game credits burning a hole!). It may be on the lighter side of "Lite," but I personally need one of those every now and then. Give it a shot!

doctorgood
Clownfish
Clownfish
589 Posts

[Post New]by doctorgood on Dec 15, 10 5:38 AM
Well...I almost blew this off without trying. Looked dumb.....but I haven't cared for the last 2 days offerings so.....out of desperation I gave it a try. I think it's a great little game! It's a HOG, puzzle, arcade, something or other, something or other type of game that is very easy to play, doesn't tax your brain, keeps moving right along and so far I haven't spotted one helpless grandpa that has to be saved by his 12 year old granddaughter!

The graphics are bright and clear without any dark corners that I have found yet. Some of the objects are rather small but they are so sharp and the hint system is generous which offsets the size problem. I haven't found any wood grain microphones blended into a desk yet as I did several days ago so I believe they're playing "fair ball" with the H0's.

The music is okay I guess, I really never notice the music unless it's horrid so it must be tolerable....to me .

The story is ....who cares, you're tracking down somebody for some reason and along the way you look for stuff and play games. It's not a new slant on a piece of classical lit. which a lot of you dislike. It's just there to carry you from point A to B,that's all.

I really didn't notice the cursor dropping out so it must be decent.

This game is very enjoyable and should be at least given a trial.......Don't be an old set in your ways codger like me! Expand your game genre playing field.

Dr.good

puzzledone
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,182 Posts

[Post New]by puzzledone on Dec 15, 10 6:51 AM
easybake great review. Welcome and hope you hate enough games to keep coming back I think I'm leaning to your side here. A game so bad it's good LOL, this isn't campy enough to qualify sounds like. Hey, I've bought games just to see if they were as bad as everyone said. They were, one that started out so fun and was soooo different, I got swept up into admiring NatAmer symbols in the demo then going blind with a mag glass and ended up in Africa then in some religious blood thirsty cult in a ummm church? I was feeling so smug finding a location where others were stuck. Just dumb luck. I just didn't come back here and eat my roasted crow.

I think though drgood sized it up pretty good, in fact for most games...

The story is ....who cares, you're tracking down somebody for some reason and along the way you look for stuff and play games. It's not a new slant on a piece of classical lit. which a lot of you dislike. It's just there to carry you from point A to B,that's all.

Guess I'll size this one up tomorrow, no, I'm not an old crone set in my ways, if I were any more open minded my brains would fall out. Genres? I confess, I used my demo time on the DD Haiku something. 4 years old, thought it would make friends with my 4 yr old XP pc. froze up after clicking my first word. CADele to get out.

The guys seem to like it, shelling out big bucks with the devs and all. 2 more pro votes.
elldee you catch my geek talk? tossing around mbs and paraphrasing Mr Piccy and all, how bout them 1600/900 ratios huh? huh? LOL. See how I get with lack of sleep? 225mb download will wait til tomorrow when all the votes are in.

See how you influenced me Doc? making blue, you started it. But guess I broke TOS addressing posters not the OT, this "game", or Chinese water torture, ask easybake.

( and I liked that Twisted Dickens, even finished it, that's a record, 2 days, I like twists)

cherbtoo
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
22,629 Posts

[Post New]by cherbtoo on Dec 15, 10 6:52 AM
Good reviews everyone you haven't left me anything to say except that I found the small partially hidden objects quite easy to see because the edges of them are crisp and not blended . The volume the music was set at was just right for me so I left it on.

I didn't like the fact that it automatically entered my real name in for me for 2 reasons:

1. It always makes me feel as though my privacy has been violated and they have been having a good snoop round my computer.

2. I never ever use my real name when playing games and it just plain looked wrong.

It didn't stop me buying it though ... I enjoyed the first game and expect to enjoy this one too .

Cherb

peglegann
Stingray
Stingray
5,174 Posts

[Post New]by peglegann on Dec 15, 10 7:04 AM
cherbtoo wrote:Good reviews everyone you haven't left me anything to say except that I found the small partially hidden objects quite easy to see because the edges of them are crisp and not blended . The volume the music was set at was just right for me so I left it on.

I didn't like the fact that it automatically entered my real name in for me for 2 reasons:
1. It always makes me feel as though my privacy has been violated and they have been having a good snoop round my computer.
2. I never ever use my real name when playing games and it just plain looked wrong.
It didn't stop me buying it though ... I enjoyed the first game and expect to enjoy this one too .
Cherb

Just to say I find that horrific! I always use the same name for playing games and accept when it auto uses my name. BUT this......is just wrong. OR have I missed something? Sorry, Have not had chance to DL, came to see what you all thought first. So cannot C or R yet.

Go to: