bfgImbrium
Manatee
Manatee
4,236 Posts

Your Comments and Reviews for Haiku Journey

[Post New]by bfgImbrium on Dec 15, 10 12:34 AM
Hey Fishies! What do you think of Haiku Journey? We value your reviews, as do many of the other fishies in our pond, so feel free to post your comments, opinions, hints and tips in this thread!

Remember, a lot of people who will be reading this thread will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

Happy gaming!

bfgImbrium

cherbtoo
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
22,629 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Haiku Journey

[Post New]by cherbtoo on Dec 15, 10 6:17 AM
I enjoyed playing a bit of this game and I would have bought it if only there was a relaxed option ... I hate timers and number of move restrictions in this type of game .

Cherb

Survivor01
Guppy
Guppy
157 Posts

[Post New]by Survivor01 on Dec 15, 10 7:51 AM
Cherbtoo, I don't like timers or limits either, but this game gives you 90 turns and I haven't come close to using that many before leveling up. You might want to try it.

cherbtoo
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
22,629 Posts

[Post New]by cherbtoo on Dec 15, 10 10:37 AM
Survivor01 wrote:Cherbtoo, I don't like timers or limits either, but this game gives you 90 turns and I haven't come close to using that many before leveling up. You might want to try it.

Thanks Survivor, I might just do that then.

OzzyRobyn
Minnow
Minnow
254 Posts

[Post New]by OzzyRobyn on Feb 4, 11 7:52 PM

I love this one. It joins Bookworm Adventures to be one of my two fave-ist word games.

If you don't like timers play in Puzzle mode. You get heaps of turns and I've come nowhere near the limit.

Survivor01
Guppy
Guppy
157 Posts

[Post New]by Survivor01 on Feb 8, 11 2:27 AM
Sorry, cherbtoo - I'm further on in the game (level 9-1) and it's getting much harder. I play every other day or so and haven't gotten past level 9-1 for several weeks. But I still love the game.

OzzyRobyn, I'll have to try the Bookworm games - thanks.

[Post New]by benji7 on Mar 4, 11 2:55 PM
Haiku Journey is a very long game.
What you need to play it:
1: a large amount of time about 6 hours a day to reach a new platform.
2 a lot of consistence and energy to get to a new platform.
3 The game is very addictive as the developers made it this way you can't
save a game without losing all your saved points and levels and other bonusses.
4, Because of this you have to finish about 8 or 9 levels to get to a new platform
where your bonussed are saved.
5 You have to create haulu poems and you can get all kind of bonusses.
6 The game starts with 5 swaps for letters in a diagram with letters mixed.
7 If you do not get the long words with the 5 swaps in the first stage you can
better forget about winning and getting forward in this haiku journey.
8 It starts of not to hard but after the first to platforms you get a title :
the first is apprentice, than student, professor, elder , poet , haiku poet
and finally haiku master.
9 If you do not get past the 350.000 points you game gets not saved and you have
to start from the beginning, thats really annoying and also giving your motivation
not really much to carry on.
10. Get the swaps in the first platform as you do not get the swaps you will not be able to carry on very much in the journey.For the swaps you can create long words
which can give you bonusses for the points up to 3x the word amount.
11. After some time you get some play tools like 10 longer turns or another bonus.
12. You will struggle and struggle till your dead tired.
A word for the developers of haiku journey, make it a lot easier and get rid of making games that long and annoying.Get the saved modus much earlier, level up does not mean level up, well you go level up, but it does not get saved until you haved got to a new platform which last at least 6 hours to reach that. If you quit earlier all your bonusses are gone. so the game is forcing you to go on struggling in such an amount of time you want to stop it and uninstall the game.
Only real diehards with a twist in the mind will be able to fullfill this haiku journey
So hopefully they make a new haiku journey with some beter modus to play relaxed and where you can save the game without losing all you reached points.
Apart from that the idea of Haiku Journey is excellent and the joy in playingwill return when there come new features to save the game.
When developers have done that i will recommend this game for anyone as a the best word game i know.

Floraws
Guppy
Guppy
101 Posts

[Post New]by Floraws on Apr 28, 11 8:53 AM
I totally agree with you, Benji7. It is one of the most interesting games, really nice to play... but with all those limitations, it becomes terribly frustrating. So much so that it is a nono for me. I will buy it when -- and if -- the developers change these rules. Oh, btw -- I am not a native English speaker, and I am sure there are lots of players like me. Please consider making this game easier, so that we all can enjoy it. Thanks.

crowtrobot
Herring
Herring
318 Posts

[Post New]by crowtrobot on Jul 29, 11 9:04 PM
benji7, thanks for your comments on this game. I played the trial version and enjoyed it very much. But the ide of a game that won't let you save and then come back to where you were when you left the game is enough to put me off the game. I think I'll give this one a pass on buying it.

Jurinne
Clownfish
Clownfish
606 Posts

[Post New]by Jurinne on Apr 27, 13 12:14 PM
I love this game but I will admit right from the beginning that I am not playing it as it is intended to be played. I play untimed and all I am doing is making words, trying to solve the Haiku, learning, and writing my own Haiku.

I only play a couple of times a day. I don't worry about leveling up or anything like that. I did read about Haiku as it is explained in the game and by googling it and I found out some interesting facts. For example, the 5-7-5 restriction is only if the Haiku is written in Japanese. I'm writing my own Haiku and I do use the 5-7-5. Also, it is not the number of syllables but the number of sounds and usually there is a reference to the time of year, either by mentioning it outright (e.g. "spring") or by using a traditional reference (e.g. "cherry blossoms" refer to spring).

Many of the Haiku in the game do not follow 5-7-5.

The music is relaxing and the chimes softly tingling when I shuffle the board make my playing very peaceful. There is also a screensaver although I was disappointed in it. It certainly could have been made much prettier. I won't be using it.

It's a shame that the devs took such a beautiful form of art and turned it into a frustrating, time-consuming, exhausting task. That is not what Haiku is, at least to me. I pay no attention to levels unless I have to click on something and I do it and then it's over.

Nobody has to play the game to "win." I think I'm winning just by forming words, solving the little Haiku puzzle, and receiving some inspiration to write my own:

Spring garden planted...
next morning sweet peas trampled,
oh, what a bad dog!

I know it's not very good but I did write it and the sweet peas were trampled by my dog (they have since recovered).

Please give it a try without paying attention to the rules and game specifics. It can be fun and relaxing. Happy swimming to all the fishies!!

bugssss
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
10 Posts

[Post New]by bugssss on May 4, 13 1:05 PM
It would be better if you learned to spell in English not slang

Go to: