gimmegames
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,231 Posts

Haiku Journey - DD for 15Dec2010 - Comments and Reviews

[Post New]by gimmegames on Dec 15, 10 12:41 AM
Post 'em if ya got 'em...

I don't usually buy word games, but the gameplay video did look very pleasant... Gonna at least download and try the demo...

ajuma
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,142 Posts

Re:Haiku Journey - DD for 15Dec2010 - Comments and Reviews

[Post New]by ajuma on Dec 15, 10 12:47 AM
Downloaded it. It unpacked the dictionary and something else. I immediately got "Access Violation". Finally got out by using ALT CLT DEL. Uninstalled, re-installed same results. I give up!

Too bad! Looked like a good game!

This was THE VERY FIRST game I've tried (and believe me, I've demoed HUNDREDS!) with an access violation!

SoozUSA
Guppy
Guppy
187 Posts

[Post New]by SoozUSA on Dec 15, 10 1:27 AM
ajuma wrote:Downloaded it. It unpacked the dictionary and something else. I immediately got "Access Violation". Finally got out by using ALT CLT DEL. Uninstalled, re-installed same results. I give up!

Too bad! Looked like a good game!

This was THE VERY FIRST game I've tried (and believe me, I've demoed HUNDREDS!) with an access violation!

Ditto running on W7P64

Oh, well that's a no buy for me.

gimmegames
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,231 Posts

[Post New]by gimmegames on Dec 15, 10 2:03 AM
I had no problems with the game (WinXP).

I played the demo in puzzle mode. I found it to be, in a word, Beautiful! Beautiful sound, beautiful graphics, beautiful game. For me it's an easy decision to buy.

Edited on 12/15/2010 at 2:07:03 AM PST

gimmegames
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,231 Posts

[Post New]by gimmegames on Dec 15, 10 2:30 AM
I forgot to mention, you do not have to click and drag to play this. You can, instead, click on each letter, then click on submit or click and hold awhile on the last letter selected (- I mostly did click and drag, so not entirely sure of the click and hold thing - just noticed that when I tried it).

I noticed there's no selection of cursor in the options. I had no problems, but I usually don't have cursor-related problems.

Dynastia
Guppy
Guppy
159 Posts

[Post New]by Dynastia on Dec 15, 10 6:57 AM
The music is so repetitive and annoying. I do like Japanese music but to hear the same few notes over and over again, not for me.
I have a similar word game already (Great Wall of Words, which is short and not better than this one).
I am still waiting for a great word game to be created.

euphoria
Herring
Herring
386 Posts

[Post New]by euphoria on Dec 15, 10 7:08 AM
This was one of the first games I bought here at Big Fish, and I still enjoy it. I used to play it obsessively! If you need to relax at the end of a stressful day, I can't recommend it enough. The graphics are lush and beautiful, some of the best I've seen to date. As you go on your journey, the music, sounds and graphics change to reflect the changing seasons. Word lovers will find the gameplay interesting and challenging.

I may have to dust this off and play it again; it really is one of my favorites!

[Post New]by satexasgirl on Dec 15, 10 7:56 AM
I'm running Windows 7. I had an issue at the very beginning when downloading. Per my usual I go through my email and if any of the games are interesting I download & then finish checking my email. When I was done I was surprised that the game hadn't finished yet as it is such a small game. My game manager said it was still waiting to downlaod. Deleted and tried again. No problems this time. It's a nice little game. I like the premise-solving Haiku poetry, not your usual word game. Limited options included playing against time and...um well, I forget. Sorry, my fellow fishies. Music's okay. Even playing against time it was still a relaxing game. I have nothing against it, but I doubt I'll buy it.

Hey there Dynastia have you tried the Bookworm games? BF has at least one of them.

tankpunk
Seahorse
Seahorse
22 Posts

[Post New]by tankpunk on Dec 15, 10 7:59 AM
I was surprised to see so few comments about this game. I played the demo until my trial time was up. I like word games and love Asian themed games .

I was playing on a machine running win7 and it ran fine, so hoping if I buy it there wont be problems. Anyway probably going to buy just wondering how long the game was or if it had good replay value?

Anyways off to play some games, gmorning all you fish .

Edited on 12/15/2010 at 8:00:21 AM PST

euphoria
Herring
Herring
386 Posts

[Post New]by euphoria on Dec 15, 10 12:59 PM
To answer the "how long" question - it is very long. You can see the path you'll be taking up the mountain as you progress. And it's very replayable as the board changes each time and there must be hundreds of haiku because I've never seen the same one twice (and I have played this game a LOT). For $2.99, it's a steal.

Edited to add: re the gameplay, you can double-click on the last letter of your word to "submit" it, which saves a lot of time.

Edited on 12/15/2010 at 1:01:03 PM PST

Audreyfavre
Herring
Herring
385 Posts

[Post New]by Audreyfavre on Dec 15, 10 2:01 PM
I love this game, but I can't figure out how to go back and try again when I get the letters wrong in the Haiku. I have clicked on everything. The only button that does anything is the "done" button, but that takes me to another, new puzzle and the one I was working on is gone. Thanks for any help

Casey68
Starfish
Starfish
52 Posts

[Post New]by Casey68 on Dec 15, 10 2:29 PM
Hi Audrey,

I just read a review of the game and it says you only get one guess at the haiku.

tankpunk
Seahorse
Seahorse
22 Posts

[Post New]by tankpunk on Dec 15, 10 5:03 PM
Thanks for the reply about the length of game. Seeing as I already liked it and now I know it its pretty long, I'm going have to grab this one .

Audreyfavre
Herring
Herring
385 Posts

[Post New]by Audreyfavre on Dec 15, 10 5:37 PM
Casey68 wrote:Hi Audrey,

I just read a review of the game and it says you only get one guess at the haiku.

Thanks, Casey. That is too bad because I only had one letter wrong in one of the puzzles
Oh, well. I'll proofread better next time.

Edited on 12/15/2010 at 5:38:16 PM PST

Legabriel
Starfish
Starfish
46 Posts

[Post New]by Legabriel on Dec 15, 10 6:18 PM
I bought the game. Being a poet I loved the idea of this so couldn't wait to play. It is beautiful! Very enjoyable! Had no problems downloading or playing.

HUGS

sandhan
Clownfish
Clownfish
919 Posts

[Post New]by sandhan on Dec 17, 10 4:09 PM
I love this game! I love words and poetry, especially haiku, and write
them myself, occasionally. I play with the sound off, so am
not bothered
by irritating music. Yes, it does load the dictionary every time, but doesn't
take that long. Thank you, BF, for offering this as a DD; it's well worth it!

sandhan
Clownfish
Clownfish
919 Posts

[Post New]by sandhan on Dec 17, 10 4:19 PM
I just read Casey's post. I, too, was dismayed to find you get only one chance
to solve the haiku, also only one letter off! To balance the blatant
unfairness, I found that you get credit for solving the haiku even if you wait
until the game does it!

raykeith1
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
13 Posts

[Post New]by raykeith1 on Dec 22, 10 7:58 AM
I have found that if I exit out of the game during a round, it doesn't save my progress thus far. Any one else have the same experience?.......Ray

[Post New]by benji7 on Feb 3, 11 12:50 PM
I am from Holland so my language is Dutch as they do not make any word
games in Dutch. This game starts very fine, but in the puzzle mode i cannot get pass the 28% of the journey as then my turns are gone al. I use the three things
to get extra words, but mostly i think i cannot make those long words as full
English or American people do, that is bugging me. Make a mode that is a bit
easier without limits please.
I also play the Amazing Pyramids game I find a lot easier to solve , although thegame to much English people is annoying. As i am Dutch and you have Englishanguage as first language it will be much easier for English people to solve.

I like the game but must be easier for foreign languages. Make a Dutch one
please or a not timer or limited play mode. Thank you.

[Post New]by benji7 on Feb 7, 11 4:52 PM
Please developers change this game without time limits and other restictiions
give us an easy way to play it, now it is not to be done at all.

The idea is nice of the game, but no timer and turn limits developers!

Go to: