bfgImbrium
Manatee
Manatee
4,236 Posts

Your Comments and Reviews for Art of Murder: Cards of Destiny

[Post New]by bfgImbrium on Dec 16, 10 12:29 AM
Hey Fishies! What do you think of Art of Murder: Cards of Destiny? We value your reviews, as do many of the other fishies in our pond, so feel free to post your comments, opinions, hints and tips in this thread!

Remember, a lot of people who will be reading this thread will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

Happy gaming!

bfgImbrium

peglegann
Stingray
Stingray
5,174 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Art of Murder: Cards of Destiny

[Post New]by peglegann on Dec 16, 10 12:56 AM
Wow! this is a large game. I enjoyed the last one. I have spent nearly an hour playing. In that time I have been looking at all the available areas and picking things up as I go. I have not come across any H0 scenes as yet.(Remember I play slowly) Without a doubt, I will buy this game but can see myself having to use the walkthrough. LOL!
Graphics are excellent, there are a sound settings and graphics settings. I never touch the graphic setting if the game looks ok. You have sub titles for the speech but there appears to be no sound attached. SFX and music seem ok. For such a good size game at an SE price this is worth a buy. Try the first one if you have not played Art of Murder before. 5 x out of 5 for me. Thank you .

Belladonna32
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
20,941 Posts

[Post New]by Belladonna32 on Dec 16, 10 1:01 AM
Sounds good - I am downloading at the moment & from what you say it appears to be just my kind of game. Will update when I've tried it if I've anything new to add.
Thanks for the review.

sinshack
Flounder
Flounder
2,150 Posts

[Post New]by sinshack on Dec 16, 10 1:02 AM
It's taking quite a long time to download this game, but it certainly looks interesting. I do like the new content warning on the download page - but then again, I wouldn't expect a game called "art of murder" to be about butterflies and kittens. The screenshots look great, but it looks like I'll have to wait for morning to play because I'm only at 21% so far. If you have to pay for each download you might want to wait to see a few reviews first.

Have fun!

cherbtoo
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
22,629 Posts

[Post New]by cherbtoo on Dec 16, 10 1:31 AM
Just a brief note to say I can't play this game , apparently my DirectX has a problem , if I can get it sorted will post my game comments here.

Cherb

niya00
Lobster
Lobster
99 Posts

More an Adventure game

[Post New]by niya00 on Dec 16, 10 1:32 AM
Too slow, too ambling. More an adventure game than a hidden object. I prefer to watch my movies on tv, come to BF to play.

Edited on 12/16/2010 at 1:34:04 AM PST

peglegann
Stingray
Stingray
5,174 Posts

[Post New]by peglegann on Dec 16, 10 1:46 AM
cherbtoo wrote:Just a brief note to say I can't play this game , apparently my DirectX has a problem , if I can get it sorted will post my game comments here.

Cherb

Morning Cherb,
A direct x install box came up automatically for me after I DL'd the game. It often does for some reason. Were you given this option? Hope you get it to play and look forward to your review later.

peglegann
Stingray
Stingray
5,174 Posts

[Post New]by peglegann on Dec 16, 10 1:50 AM
goofyduck77 wrote: What was frustrating for me was when I hit on the hint, it put the question mark (hint) on an item that was just to look at which didn't serve any purpose (at the moment maybe). The character moved around with the cursor movement and multiple clicks moved the character faster or get her to run. And you pick up inventory here and there and use it wherever. I still had 5 or 6 items when I exited the game. And there were arrows pointing to where you could go but it did tell you when you shouldn't leave yet (or couldn't). There is virtually no hand-holding.
Well, peglegann, if you played for an hour and didn't get stuck, I applaud you. I did. I got to feed the cat and that was about it so I spent the rest of the time seeing how fast I could get the character to turn and run and turn around and go back and forth and back and forth and act like a Stepford wife. That was fun. So I can't say anything more about the game except I wish I looked as good in jeans as she does. You adventure fans are going to love it!

No I didn't get stuck but, as in my life I was wandering around just looking at everything and not getting anywhere. LOL! I do not have the time to play anymore at the mo so enjoy.
ETA. Me too re the jeans

Edited on 12/16/2010 at 1:52:20 AM PST

jillaroogirl
Minnow
Minnow
299 Posts

[Post New]by jillaroogirl on Dec 16, 10 2:32 AM
After waiting so patiently for it to download, I was quite disappointed with the game. I am not a fan of movements that look like someone is on drugs, nor the non-voice overs for the talking. I like adventure games, all that wandering around and doing your own thing, but this one gave me a headache. A no buy for me.

elldee2728
Shark
Shark
14,378 Posts

[Post New]by elldee2728 on Dec 16, 10 3:21 AM
No review just yet, but some comments:

Hey Cherb--at the tail end of the demo install, a DirectX window showed up, checked to see if I had the current version (which I do) and we went on our merry way. It should work for you.

Played the first two in this series ("FBI Confidential" & "Hunt For The Puppeteer")and found this one to be akin to those. A nearly-pure Adventure game, with a bit of HOG and inventory. Still can't get used to Nicole pacing all over the place just for a glass of water, though! Would have liked the addition of voice-overs, especially with a file this size (oldies like "Phantasmagoria" and "Gabriel Knight 2" were FMVs with voices, at about the same Mbs). The intro and cut-scenes were a bit herky-jerky but not distracting. Overall, though, this should please adventurers.

Rebeca_Lily
Catfish
Catfish
1,515 Posts

[Post New]by Rebeca_Lily on Dec 16, 10 3:26 AM
After wandering around a lot and collecting objects, the only action I managed to do was - giving the kitty food (that, because I love kitties). After that, I felt like a dwarf in a giant's land.

Pure Adventure game. Not my type. Happy gaming, Adventurers!

yasure
Minnow
Minnow
217 Posts

More an Adventure game

[Post New]by yasure on Dec 16, 10 4:01 AM
niya00 wrote: Too slow, too ambling. More an adventure game than a hidden object. I prefer to watch my movies on tv, come to BF to play.

I totally agree with you! The little bit I did play just seems silly. I even checked out the walkthrough-I could not get the metal box onto the table. Quit the game and it would not save were I was, so I had to start all over again.
This is surely NOT a game for me. I'll find one to replay today.
For those of you who do enjoy this type of game-have fun

HAPPY HOLIDAYS TO ALL AT BIG FISH

ettapat
Starfish
Starfish
48 Posts

[Post New]by ettapat on Dec 16, 10 4:10 AM
I'm doing the trial version first, but while I have text there's no speech, Is there a fault or is this ok?

Not my idea of a great game.

peglegann
Stingray
Stingray
5,174 Posts

More an Adventure game

[Post New]by peglegann on Dec 16, 10 4:52 AM
yasure wrote:
niya00 wrote: Too slow, too ambling. More an adventure game than a hidden object. I prefer to watch my movies on tv, come to BF to play.

I totally agree with you! The little bit I did play just seems silly. I even checked out the walkthrough-I could not get the metal box onto the table. Quit the game and it would not save were I was, so I had to start all over again.
This is surely NOT a game for me. I'll find one to replay today.
For those of you who do enjoy this type of game-have fun
HAPPY HOLIDAYS TO ALL AT BIG FISH

Happy Holidays back to you too.
I don't know about the slow and ambling part as it was fine for me.
The box does not need to be on the table to be opened. Just right click to enlarge from the inventory.
It will not auto save for you, this has to be done before you quit. Enjoy your movies both of you. LOL!

psylocibin
Guppy
Guppy
130 Posts

[Post New]by psylocibin on Dec 16, 10 5:09 AM
goofyduck77 wrote:Holy cow! They weren't kidding with the "large file" label, were they? A 333 mb sample and a 1.78 gb full version? My poor computer hurts just thinking about it. I didn't play the other one, at least I don't think so. It is very much an adventure/ihog/rpg game. The graphics are superb and the music was, for a change, appropriate for the setting. There were all kinds of options, and they split up into two sections - they got organized about it. One was the sound, which included the typical music, fx, and master, but also included dialogues. The graphics category included background animations, subtitles, save the screen ratio, gamma correction slider and details slider. Not that I can get my head around all the choices, oh my.

Hmmm, but there wasn't any choice of cursor that I could see but with the way the gameplay was, I can see why. The cursor is a little computer mouse (very cute) and when there is something to look at, an eye appears beside it, or a hand, or both. As far as dialogue in the cut scenes, read fast. The screen plays on my wide-screen monitor just fine and didn't appear too dark with the default gamma setting. I liked that the entire screen was clutter-free. You see nothing but the scene, and have to move your cursor down to the bottom to see an inventory, hint, and menu bar pop up. The hint was unlimited without appearing to have any wait time. What was frustrating for me was when I hit on the hint, it put the question mark (hint) on an item that was just to look at which didn't serve any purpose (at the moment maybe). The character moved around with the cursor movement and multiple clicks moved the character faster or get her to run. And you pick up inventory here and there and use it wherever. I still had 5 or 6 items when I exited the game. And there were arrows pointing to where you could go but it did tell you when you shouldn't leave yet (or couldn't). There is virtually no hand-holding.

Well, peglegann, if you played for an hour and didn't get stuck, I applaud you. I did. I got to feed the cat and that was about it so I spent the rest of the time seeing how fast I could get the character to turn and run and turn around and go back and forth and back and forth and act like a Stepford wife. That was fun. So I can't say anything more about the game except I wish I looked as good in jeans as she does.

You adventure fans are going to love it!

[Post New]by cowansville on Dec 16, 10 5:12 AM
Can someone tell me if you can hear the conversation or is it just written at the bottom of your screen.
Thanks for the replies.

psylocibin
Guppy
Guppy
130 Posts

[Post New]by psylocibin on Dec 16, 10 5:15 AM
I had no idea what to do and the game did not give any hints. The cat is well fed and by the time I was thoroughly frustrated by the game I should have been able to take the alkaseltzer but the character could not either. I just wish I had some idea how to play maybe it is fun, but when one has no idea, well I fell asleep and used up most of my time. Does anyone know what the point of this was? Did anyone ever open the package? Were we supposed to open the package? I got the map on the table and there was nothing to do although there were ? marks on it. The purse contents all got taken up but the ? mark kept coming up as tho there were more to do. What was this game about? All you lovers give us a clue Please

peglegann
Stingray
Stingray
5,174 Posts

[Post New]by peglegann on Dec 16, 10 5:15 AM
cowansville wrote:Can someone tell me if you can hear the conversation or is it just written at the bottom of your screen.
Thanks for the replies.

When I first played it I could not hear the conversation but when I came out and went back in it seemed ok. There may be a slight glitch.

peglegann
Stingray
Stingray
5,174 Posts

[Post New]by peglegann on Dec 16, 10 5:17 AM
psylocibin wrote:I had no idea what to do and the game did not give any hints. The cat is well fed and by the time I was thoroughly frustrated by the game I should have been able to take the alkaseltzer but the character could not either. I just wish I had some idea how to play maybe it is fun, but when one has no idea, well I fell asleep and used up most of my time. Does anyone know what the point of this was? Did anyone ever open the package? Were we supposed to open the package? I got the map on the table and there was nothing to do although there were ? marks on it. The purse contents all got taken up but the ? mark kept coming up as tho there were more to do. What was this game about? All you lovers give us a clue Please

Try using your right click on inventory items and on areas where there is a question mark. Hope this helps.

[Post New]by Coronagold on Dec 16, 10 5:43 AM
No way I'm accepting a DirectX "upgrade" in order to play this game on my brand new Windows7 64 bit PC. 32 bit PCs have DX9c. Windows7 64 bit have like DX11 or such. And I'm not gonna compromise that much of the innards of my PC for a game.

Go to: