bfgImbrium
Manatee
Manatee
4,236 Posts

Your Comments and Reviews for PictoWords

[Post New]by bfgImbrium on Dec 16, 10 12:48 AM
Hey Fishies! What do you think of PictoWords? We value your reviews, as do many of the other fishies in our pond, so feel free to post your comments, opinions, hints and tips in this thread!

Remember, a lot of people who will be reading this thread will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

Happy gaming!

bfgImbrium

Joymul
Squid
Squid
61 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for PictoWords

[Post New]by Joymul on Jul 23, 11 7:18 PM
An interesting enough game if you have a few minutes to spare. The one disappointing thing about it, is that the pictographs used a quite limited. This is particularly annoying when it is obvious that others are available but not used. Different pictographs are used when you do the bonus puzzle. So why didn't they get used for the general puzzles?

Reasonable enough at DD price, but I wouldn't pay more.

KatzHome
Guppy
Guppy
114 Posts

[Post New]by KatzHome on Sep 16, 12 7:23 AM
I really like this game!!! I'm playing it on an old PC MAC and, one of these days I'll be getting a new Intel MAC, so I came here looking to see if the game is available on the new MACs...

The unlimited version might be... when I clicked on the top post about the "Unlimited" version, I saw that some BF games now are playable on tablets and phones, so I guess PictoWords is one of those games... and if so, I'm guessing that I'll be able to play PictoWords on my new Mac...

Please tell me that I'm guessing correctly!

herrbach
Guppy
Guppy
162 Posts

[Post New]by herrbach on May 14, 14 3:03 PM
When I "trialed" this I thought it'd be interesting & fun. Sort of a take on the basic old-fashioned rebus puzzles. It was. For awhile. As I'm now up to level 106 I'm disappointed. It's extremely repetitive. I've had to make "r***, r****. m*****, m*********" etc etc dozens of times. The pictures are limited in variety and the letters are also limited - etaoinshrdlu +... The "Help" tab only gives you the basics of play. I have no way of ascertaining whether the "Hint" tab carries with it a point penalty or not. You get bonus points for legitimate words not on the list, plus definitions. Such as, for "SERA" (not in the required list) I read this definition: "and Amber, watery fluid rich in proteins that separates out when blood glad you liked." [sic] I dunno, go figure... Had to laugh at that. The definition for "Willy"(also not in the list) totally cracked me up! You cannot select whether you want the hint to be a letter or picture - it's usually a letter most of the time. I thought I'd be done when I reached level 100, but it's still going.
It was a bit challenging the first dozen levels or so, & I thought this was going to be a cool variant of a word game. But once you know what the pictures represent (rarely has a new one shown up in the last 30-40 levels) it gets too easy for reasons mentioned above. The bonus levels are fun, with more use of different pictures, but the main game uses the same ol' same ol' over & over ad nauseum - who knows? Why not use some from the bonus levels? It doesn't say how many levels there are to complete everything. Maybe it's like that pink bunny on the tv commercial. It just keeps going, & going, & going...
It'd be cool if it had a choice of easy, medium, & difficult levels. As is, you can either play for speed (once you complete the minimum requirements for a level you progress; but I opted to try to get all the words in each level. I have no idea how that affects the scoring or even if it does.
I think I got it free with a game credit - but I wish I'd used it on a different game. I had big expectations for this, but it was a letdown. It does offer a nice way to just veg & chill without stressing out - you won't get shut out by a timer, (except for the bonus levels). If they add more variety & update it, I think it has the potential to be a great game. Now? For me it got pretty lame after level 30 or so.

Edited on 05/14/2014 at 3:07:33 PM PST

Go to: