bfgFlounder
12,864 Posts

Your Comments and Reviews for Cradle of Rome 2

[Post New]by bfgFlounder on Dec 18, 10 12:32 AM
Hey Fishies! What do you think of Cradle of Rome 2? We value your reviews, as do many of the other fishies in our pond, so feel free to post your comments, opinions, hints and tips in this thread!

Remember, a lot of people who will be reading this thread will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

Happy gaming!

bfgFlounder

Imberis
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,263 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Cradle of Rome 2

[Post New]by Imberis on Dec 18, 10 12:45 AM
Here's my review from another game website (I hope that's allowed):

If you loved Cradle of Rome, you'll probably love this sequel. The premise is the same. It's a match-3 game where you collect various resources in order to buy buildings and build up your city. There is a new type of game board included in some levels where you must make a vertical match-3 over blocks of ice in order to break the ice. It's an interesting and challenging addition to the game. The "blueprints" portion of the game isn't exactly my favorite, but it's over quickly and it provides a little break in the gameplay. It just requires that you do a mini-game, like a jigsaw or a swap-the-pieces puzzle, although if you wait a few seconds, you can skip these. The game IS timed, but so far I've found that the timer has been fairly generous.

The graphics are quite nice. The backgrounds of the match-3 game boards are very well done. The music, like in the first game, is very lovely. I really enjoy that there are trophies included in the game, too. Also included are bonus levels, wallpapers and the soundtrack, even though this is not a collector's edition. (I don't use those last two, but some people might like them!) So far, I feel like the game might be kind of short for a match-3, but I suppose all of the extras and the bonus areas make up for that. All in all, this is a great game if you love match-3 games!

cherbtoo
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
22,629 Posts

[Post New]by cherbtoo on Dec 18, 10 1:27 AM
What an absolute waste of gorgeous backgrounds it is a crying shame that they have to be covered up with the Match 3 boards, they deserve to be in a game of their own where their beauty can be appreciated. Please reuse them and make a Settlement Colossus type game ...

Although I enjoy playing an occasional Match 3 game I can't buy one where you have lives to lose because I just cannot move fast enough to clear the boards before the time runs out and consequently I can never make it very far into the game. I know the purpose of the game is to beat the time but there are some of us that would buy them if only there was a relaxed mode option and putting one in wouldn't stop the people that "like beating the clock" from enjoying the game.

In view of the above alas it is a no buy for me .

Cherb

Poutoule
Archerfish
Archerfish
41,630 Posts

[Post New]by Poutoule on Dec 18, 10 2:14 AM
I'm trying, again and again to finish the last level of the first Cradle of Rome (went up to 12 lives and lost them all, I hate the sandglass part of it). So am I going to dive head first for this one....YES !!!!!!!!!!!!

peglegann
Stingray
Stingray
5,174 Posts

[Post New]by peglegann on Dec 18, 10 2:36 AM
I am waiting to find a match 3 that I can keep, to dive into when my brain is full of junk. Did I hear someone say that is normal for my brain? They can be so relaxing without a timer. After reading the reviews here, thank you all for the depth of them. The music was, hmmm, sort of Roman ok goofy, I wonder why? ROFLOL
Did try but the timer is not relaxing for me. I can see a lot of fish will enjoy this, so have fun.

jkuci
Flounder
Flounder
2,447 Posts

[Post New]by jkuci on Dec 18, 10 2:57 AM
peglegann wrote:I am waiting to find a match 3 that I can keep, to dive into when my brain is full of junk. Did I hear someone say that is normal for my brain? They can be so relaxing without a timer. After reading the reviews here, thank you all for the depth of them. The music was, hmmm, sort of Roman ok goofy, I wonder why? ROFLOL
Did try but the timer is not relaxing for me. I can see a lot of fish will enjoy this, so have fun.

peglegann,
In this version of Cradle of Rome, you can "buy" more time with resource credits and also accumulate "lives" as well as power-ups.

But I believe Dragon Empire beats this game using the same game mechanics but with better animations, better mini-games, better building choices and just plain more fun!

peglegann
Stingray
Stingray
5,174 Posts

[Post New]by peglegann on Dec 18, 10 3:34 AM
jkuci wrote:
peglegann wrote:I am waiting to find a match 3 that I can keep, to dive into when my brain is full of junk. Did I hear someone say that is normal for my brain? They can be so relaxing without a timer. After reading the reviews here, thank you all for the depth of them. The music was, hmmm, sort of Roman ok goofy, I wonder why? ROFLOL

peglegann,
In this version of Cradle of Rome, you can "buy" more time with resource credits and also accumulate "lives" as well as power-ups.

But I believe Dragon Empire beats this game using the same game mechanics but with better animations, better mini-games, better building choices and just plain more fun!

Thank you, will give that game a go.

Edited on 12/18/2010 at 3:36:48 AM PST

rainice
Minnow
Minnow
293 Posts

[Post New]by rainice on Dec 18, 10 4:25 AM
cherbtoo wrote: What an absolute waste of gorgeous backgrounds it is a crying shame that they have to be covered up with the Match 3 boards, they deserve to be in a game of their own where their beauty can be appreciated. Please reuse them and make a Settlement Colossus type game ...

Although I enjoy playing an occasional Match 3 game I can't buy one where you have lives to lose because I just cannot move fast enough to clear the boards before the time runs out and consequently I can never make it very far into the game. I know the purpose of the game is to beat the time but there are some of us that would buy them if only there was a relaxed mode option and putting one in wouldn't stop the people that "like beating the clock" from enjoying the game.

In view of the above alas it is a no buy for me .

Cherb
I absolutely agree. This is a stunningly beautiful game that someone like me who is slower moving can never fully enjoy. If it had a relaxed setting I'd be buying it in a heartbeat. As it is the tension I feel from dealing with a timer just isn't worth it.

luvtoread
Manatee
Manatee
4,081 Posts

[Post New]by luvtoread on Dec 18, 10 4:57 AM
The one thing I noticed as I was running out of time and cat decided
just then to sit in front of my moniter was the "thump, thump" and all
I could think of was Edgar Allen Poes "The Telltale Heart"

[Post New]by JoeBee1 on Dec 18, 10 6:37 AM
Timed ! Not for me. Unfortunately, I've been frustrated many times by timed games. It's the type of adrenaline rush I don't need or want at this point in my young life. I really enjoyed "The Perfect Tree", a match 3 untimed game. You decorate your own Xmas tree. Fun-no pressure. Someone mentioned this game about 2 weeks ago when commenting about a different match 3 game. Thanx for the heads up.JJB

huntington101
Salmon
Salmon
2,525 Posts

[Post New]by huntington101 on Dec 18, 10 7:00 AM
A few responses:

This version is actually easier than the first one. The boards are more user friendly.

There are 5 books Goofy, but the next levels do get harder and longer

I will not tell anyone who hates timers to get over it, but I lost a life only twice. Ended the game with 22 lives stocked piled. Note: I am not a big M3 collector and avoid a lot of shooters and timed action thingies. I just don't think this falls into that hectic category.

There is strategy involved as far as making sure your current power up is filled before you make that last match. Leaving one last match ready to go while filling up the powerup on another section of the grid helps a lot.

The last powerup is the best for those tough grids at the end. If you lose a life or two, sometimes on purpose, you replay the level but with a different powerup. So you can replay until you get that last powerup as the current refillable one.

Don't hesitate to use the current powerup as soon as it is active, especially the hour glass. Just make sure to set yourself up with that one last match, so you can refill it before the level ends.

The strategy comes with experience so experiment. Worse case scenario is that you start a new game.

So, even if you found the original version too much, give this one a shot it you are at all interested.

hannah57
Clownfish
Clownfish
760 Posts

[Post New]by hannah57 on Dec 18, 10 7:14 AM
I actually bought this game awhile ago from another site. It seems you can't lose unless your as slow as a turtle. I find there is no challenge with this game. The first one was impossible to finish, I finally stopped trying and deleted it. BUT you should try this one because you really never do seem to run out of time.

QEIII
Herring
Herring
329 Posts

[Post New]by QEIII on Dec 18, 10 7:27 AM
I've played 50 mins of the demo and whilst I think it is quite good, I preferred the Ballville M3 that came out a couple of days ago. I was getting a bit bored towards the end of the demo and so I don't think it will be for me.

Poutoule
Archerfish
Archerfish
41,630 Posts

[Post New]by Poutoule on Dec 18, 10 8:04 AM
Nearly bought it straight away, glad I tried the demo "Access Violation", again and again

[Post New]by jlemley on Dec 18, 10 8:19 AM
I don't post much but the original Cradle of Rome is one of my all time favorites and I've replayed too many times to count. In my opinion this is nothing compared to the first one. Sure the extra mini games were nice - but again - they were all too easy in my hour of game play.

The graphics are good but not great. It doesn't make up for the rest of the game. Pretty boring in my opinion and a no buy.

ingeash
Minnow
Minnow
252 Posts

[Post New]by ingeash on Dec 18, 10 9:18 AM
''Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Cradle of Rome 2
by cherbtoo on December 18, 1:27 AM
What an absolute waste of gorgeous backgrounds it is a crying shame that they have to be covered up with the Match 3 boards, they deserve to be in a game of their own where their beauty can be appreciated. Please reuse them and make a Settlement Colossus type game ... ''

Well they did use the same graphics for 'Romance of Rome' which I by far prefer. Of course over time and replays I know where most things are. And I love 'Settlement Collossus'

[Post New]by quarlesqueen on Dec 18, 10 9:32 AM
THANKS....BF, I have been waiting for a good M3 game, for so long, this has made my day !!
I am usually pretty good at M3 games, but found the first COR an extreme challenge, and just to hard on some boards, for my brain to figure out .
I don't for the life of me understand why the developers, wouldn't want to put a relax mode, in the game, so they would sell to a wider range of customers, it just doesn't make sense.
With that said, I would like to thank Huntington 101, for their review, saying this one is easier, so I've downloaded the trial, and am praying its not as difficult as the first.
I like a challenge, but when you have to play a board over, and over, and over, than it becomes frustrating, and not fun.
So, I will write more once I've tried it, keeping fingers and toes crossed, because I have been wanting a good M3 game .

Edited on 12/18/2010 at 9:46:08 AM PST

Rebeca_Lily
Catfish
Catfish
1,515 Posts

[Post New]by Rebeca_Lily on Dec 18, 10 9:36 AM
CasualGran wrote:this game is TIMED, so no buy! Why is it that devs forget about us players liking to clear the boards without having to rush! Why, oh why?

This is one unhappy fishie not to beimg able to play this game...

Allow me to join the club...

Jude_Rigby
Squid
Squid
78 Posts

[Post New]by Jude_Rigby on Dec 18, 10 10:34 AM
No relaxed mode = Nope

I know people are saying you can buy time and all, but I still don't want it. I'd rather have a relaxed mode than having to worry about buying more time and everything. It's a shame though, the game looked promising, and I only play HOG games! (Well, I do have some of the Fishdom games, lol, but that's it)

kinget
Guppy
Guppy
154 Posts

[Post New]by kinget on Dec 18, 10 10:47 AM
My second major disappointment in a month - I LOVE Cradle of Rome, but I can't stand the bouncy tiles in this sequel. Also the tiles are smaller than in the old game. I didn't get to worry about the timer. I'm guessing it's not like the one in the first game, but an overall timer? Anyway, I'm not sticking around to find out.
Actually, it's my 3rd disappointment, because first there was the new MCF which was so weird after Dire Grove, and then Hound of the Baskervilles, which went fine for a while and then tossed me out repeatedly.
Oh well, I still have Cradle of Rome - though I've finished it about 15 times now....

Go to: