WilJul
Stingray
Stingray
5,670 Posts

13th Skull ** FAQs ** Lots of SPOILERS

[Post New]by WilJul on Dec 22, 10 10:31 PM
If you do not find an answer to your question here, you may wish to try an Advanced Forum Search before posting. Go to the “Search All Forums” Box to the upper right of these posts. Click “Advanced Forum Search”, then enter your search words, for example “cannons in swamp”, then select this game’s title. All posts with those words included will then pop up for your perusal.
Please feel free to add more FAQ’s or edit anything!

Where is the STRATEGY GUIDE? Where is the WALKTHROUGH?
The strategy guide is located in your inventory tray. It is the book with the magnifying glass on it. If you opened your inventory and still can’t see it, you must scroll back to the first page of your inventory. To find the walkthrough go to the thread on the first page of these forums, at the very top, entitled “Walkthrough available for Mystery Case Files: 13th Skull Collector's Edition!”. It is labeled with an “i” in an orange circle.
The darn PARROT keeps flying away!
You will need a cage to contain the parrot. The cage is on the second floor balcony of the manor, near the attic entry and the beehive. You will need a jar of honey to distract the bees and a screwdriver to remove the cage. Then go back to the Landry’s, click on the parrot and he will go in the cage in your inventory.
I can’t fix the TOILET/use the PLUNGER.
Did you listen to the barmaid? She told you who usually fixes the toilet. Call Lamont. Use a coin from your coin purse on the pay phone in the back hall of the tavern. His number is in the Tavern Manager’s Office. He will tell you the trick.
I can’t get the GOBLETS!
I can’t CUT down the TREE!
I’m using the HAMMER on the upside down COFFIN but it won’t open!
I have definitely, positively scrolled through all pages of my inventory and still can’t find my SCREWDRIVER/COIN PURSE/CELLAR KEY!

These are all known glitches that have been fixed with newer builds. You need to either get a game update from your Game Manager, or uninstall your game and reinstall it. You should not lose your game progress either way. However, before you do that you can alternatively try: on the TREE – either holding down your mouse button as you cut, or click your mouse button repeatedly; with the HAMMER on the COFFIN – start over under a new player name and

Edited on 08/05/2012 at 6:59:29 PM PST

WilJul
Stingray
Stingray
5,670 Posts

Re:13th Skull ** FAQs ** Lots of SPOILERS

[Post New]by WilJul on Dec 22, 10 10:34 PM
cont....
make sure you hammer the coffin as soon as you arrive in that scene, do not do anything else first.
Where are all of the CEMETERY GATE KEYS?
Highlight to read:
Star key – in the puzzle box on Magnolia’s mantel
Moon key – in the attic in the chest on the right
Triangle key – in the blue box in the shed behind the house
Diamond key – in the painting on the left in the foyer

My SCREWDRIVER won’t work on the PIANO/my KEYS won’t go in the CEMETERY GATE!
The game reads where you place your cursor, not where you place the tip of the screwdriver or key. While holding your tool focus on placing your cursor on the screw or keyhole. You will end up using your screwdriver or key about halfway down their bodies.
I have the KEYS in the CEMETERY GATE but the gate still won’t open!
Look at the painting in the first floor foyer between the door to the dining room and the closet door. That picture frame will show you which key goes in which shaped keyhole AND in which direction your key must be oriented. This is another randomly generated solution so you CANNOT use the solution from the strategy guide or the walkthrough. You must use the solution shown on the picture frame in your game.
I can’t figure out the BIRTH DATE or the DATES PUZZLE in the coffin!
The death date is on the front of the mausoleum, blaze date and rebuild date should all be in your journal/casebook if you looked at all the newspaper clippings you came across in the game. The birth date takes several steps to discover. You MUST WIN at a game of checkers with Vinton in the Tavern, you may also hit the “Skip” button which counts as a win. But if you don’t beat him or hit “skip” you cannot progress. After you win he will tell you he will have a fax sent to you with info about the manor. Go to the den (where the computer is) and click on the fax, then click on the piece of paper in the fax. The birth date will be in the bottom right of the page and is handwritten. Once you look at the page from the fax the birth date will be entered in your journal. This is another randomly generated solution. You CANNOT use the solution from the strategy guide or the walkthrough, you can only use the date given to you by your game. Once you have entered all of the dates (vertically or horizontally only) you must click on the LEVER on the left of the number board.

Edited on 09/21/2013 at 11:38:24 PM PST

WilJul
Stingray
Stingray
5,670 Posts

[Post New]by WilJul on Dec 22, 10 10:38 PM
cont....

I’m having trouble LISTENING with the GLASS on the SITTING ROOM DOOR!
You must move the glass around until you can hear Mrs. Lawson speaking clearly and can clearly read the text at the bottom of the screen (you may have to have captions on in your options menu). After she has spoken a few lines she will move and her voice will become muffled again. You must move your glass to find the new clear spot. You will have to do this 3-4 times to hear her entire conversation. Occasionally she will repeat a line or two before moving on to new lines – just keep listening. Once you have heard all you need to hear the game will automatically give you a new objective and the glass will disappear from your inventory.
I can’t use the COMPUTER PASSWORD on the computer!
You can only use the password your game gives you, it is randomly generated each time you play and from player to player, so you CANNOT use the password listed in the strategy guide or walkthrough. Make sure you have read the password correctly – zeros can look like ohs and sixes can look like b’s for example. Make sure, after you enter the code, that you press enter on YOUR computer keyboard. Also, if you make a mistake when entering the code, if you backspace to delete, the game will get confused. Back out of the computer then go back in and re-enter the correct code.
I can’t get the METAL DETECTOR/SHOVEL to work!
The trick with the metal detector and digging holes is to NEVER move your cursor once the light on the metal detector turns green. To begin – wave your metal detector around until the light turns solid green, then, without moving your cursor, click your mouse button and your shovel will appear. Then, without moving your cursor, click about three more times to dig the hole.
How do I work the CANNONS IN THE SWAMP?
Go here for tips and explanations:
http://forums.bigfishgames.com/posts/list/132458.page
I don’t know what order the SKULLS go in on the ALLIGATOR NEST in the swamp clearing!
You found a diagram in the Ashwin Poncer/Phineas Crown chest under the crypt. That diagram is now in your journal/casebook. This is another randomly generated solution. You CANNOT use the solution in the strategy guide or the walkthrough, you must only use the solution given to you by your game.

Edited on 12/26/2010 at 11:07:20 PM PST

WilJul
Stingray
Stingray
5,670 Posts

[Post New]by WilJul on Dec 22, 10 10:41 PM
cont....

BONUS GAME:
I can’t see the NAME OF THE SHIP! I can’t figure out the SHIP NAME PUZZLE on the door!!
Once you are in the crow’s nest looking through the telescope, you must be very patient and wait until the ship blocking your view floats out of your way. It will eventually move, but it takes a little time, keep waiting. Don’t look away though, because it’s not long before it floats right back in the way!
Once you see the name you must enter it in the puzzle on the door. The puzzle will scramble the letters as you enter them. There are two methods to use to enter the letters in the proper order. The 100th monkey method is to enter the 7-letter name into the puzzle then write down exactly how the puzzle scrambled the letters. Now enter the scrambled letters, exactly as you wrote them down, back into the puzzle. The second method is to just switch the 2nd and 3rd letters, then switch the 5th and 6th letters, then turn the whole thing backwards. For example, if the name is LIZBETH:
1. Switch the 2nd and 3rd letters = LZIBETH
2. Switch the 5th and 6th letters = LZIBTEH
3. Turn it backwards = HETBIZL
The strategy guide tells you to switch the 6th and 7th letters instead of the 5th and 6th. THIS IS INCORRECT. This is another randomly generated solution, you CANNOT use the solution in the strategy guide or the walkthrough. You can only use the name given to you by your game.
I can’t open the BOOK/JOURNAL with the NUMBERS on it/the DOOR WITH THE NUMBERS on it!
This plays just like minesweeper. LizzyK wrote: Each of the squares on the puzzle has a number in the middle. You have to click on the dots around the edges of each square so each square has the same number of dots filled in as the number that is inside the square.

It is tricky because the squares are inter-connected. When you get one right it might mess up another one that is beside it. You have to keep adjusting it until they are all correct. The small puzzle on the book is pretty easy. The one on the door is much harder.

WilJul
Stingray
Stingray
5,670 Posts

[Post New]by WilJul on Dec 22, 10 10:44 PM
cont....

I can’t match the SKULLS to their SKELETONS!
Look in your crew roster for descriptions of each pirate. Then look at the skeletons and match the descriptions to the clothing or accessories on the skeletons. For example, the Notorious Gambler has a card in his sleeve.
For a list of all matches highlight to read:
I - Notorious Gambler –Lower right with a playing card in his sleeve.
II - Filthy Drunkard – Has a knife in his back and is holding a cup.
III - Never Lost A Duel – Skeleton with pistol in his waist.
IV - Double Crosser – Stabbing guy in back with knife.
V - Dandy – Man in lower left corner in fancy outfit (closest to you).
VI - Crew Cook – Skeleton dressed in white to the right (your right) of the Captain.
VII - Astronomer – Blue suit with moons and stars.
VIII - Enfeebled – Skeleton with a hook for a hand.
IX - Wealthy Veteran – Red Uniform with medal on right.
X - Minstrel – Skeleton with musical instrument.
XI - Chronicler – Skeleton holding a quill.
XII - Dwarf– Shortest pirate at table.
XIII - Nurse – Standing next to Captain in a dress.

I can't UNLOCK the BONUS GAME!!!!!
After the Lawson's are swept away by the wave, the screen turns white and you are taken back to the main menu where the bonus game sign with the lock on it disappears and a subtitle under the main title that reads "LAST RITES" appears. If you hit "Play" - YOU ARE NOW PLAYING THE BONUS GAME on the ships. After you match the 13 skulls to their respective skeletons, the credits roll and you are taken back to the main menu - YOU HAVE NOW COMPLETED THE BONUS GAME and THE GAME RESETS and you are back at the very beginning with the bonus material locked until you complete the main game again.

Happy gaming, everybody!

Edited on 12/25/2010 at 1:26:05 PM PST

WilJul
Stingray
Stingray
5,670 Posts

[Post New]by WilJul on Dec 23, 10 2:50 PM
Ba-dum-bump

[Post New]by ChesterPepper79 on Dec 23, 10 11:01 PM
A for effort, WilJul.

WilJul
Stingray
Stingray
5,670 Posts

[Post New]by WilJul on Dec 24, 10 12:25 PM
Thanks so much ChesterPepper! *blush*

MarpleLover
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,415 Posts

[Post New]by MarpleLover on Dec 24, 10 12:30 PM
Despite the incredible amount of information on this thread, I'm betting people will still be asking the same old questions as previous players.

Kudos for the effort.

Bookmark this thread.

WilJul
Stingray
Stingray
5,670 Posts

[Post New]by WilJul on Dec 24, 10 12:51 PM
MarpleLover wrote:Despite the incredible amount of information on this thread, I'm betting people will still be asking the same old questions as previous players.

Kudos for the effort.

Bookmark this thread.

*sigh* Yeah, I'm discovering that very thing.
Maybe some kind mod will come along and sticky it.

But thanks MarpleLover!

MarpleLover
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,415 Posts

[Post New]by MarpleLover on Dec 24, 10 1:03 PM
Some people can't be bothered with doing an advanced forum search. Sort of like fast food and remote controls.

I have seen people cut in line on a highway exit to an NFL football stadium. All the while pretending they got lost while getting ahead of many cars.

vingilot
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,175 Posts

[Post New]by vingilot on Dec 26, 10 6:24 AM
I've noticed that too. I've seen the same thread topic, sometimes even written the same way, on the same page multiple times. I bet if all those threads were merged into one, this forum would be three pages long.

I hope a Mod does sticky this one. It might help. We're trained to look for FAQs on sites, after all.

Edited on 12/26/2010 at 10:20:51 PM PST

WilJul
Stingray
Stingray
5,670 Posts

[Post New]by WilJul on Dec 26, 10 1:12 PM
I'll just keep on ....bumping.

Maybe somebody will actually look here!

vingilot
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,175 Posts

[Post New]by vingilot on Dec 26, 10 10:20 PM
Time for another bump.

bluesinew
Minnow
Minnow
231 Posts

[Post New]by bluesinew on Dec 27, 10 5:53 PM
When will I be able to find the 10 gold coins? Before, after or during playing the main game or when I am playing the bonus game? I didn't even know there were gold coins until I started reading the forums. I finished the game with only 19 insignias and i was looking for their locations when I stumbled on the fact that they existed. I saw a list for the 10 coins however, when I started the the game over and tried to find them based on the hints in the forum, none of the suggested areas e.g. the computer enter Pippi or when you are at the pub, call a guy named Fish before you call the guy about the plunger or win the doll, (because the coin purse will disappear) worked. I am not sure if the coins are part of the game or some inside joke... like Easter Eggs in the days of Riven. Thanks for the help.

WilJul
Stingray
Stingray
5,670 Posts

[Post New]by WilJul on Dec 27, 10 8:12 PM
LizzieK did a great post on the 10 gold insignias. It's stickied at the top of this forum: "Here are the LOCATIONS of the 10 GOLD INSIGNIAS - SPOILER". Good luck!

WilJul
Stingray
Stingray
5,670 Posts

[Post New]by WilJul on Dec 28, 10 12:18 PM
bump

WilJul
Stingray
Stingray
5,670 Posts

[Post New]by WilJul on Dec 28, 10 7:03 PM
again bump

WilJul
Stingray
Stingray
5,670 Posts

[Post New]by WilJul on Dec 30, 10 4:13 PM
my bump again

WilJul
Stingray
Stingray
5,670 Posts

[Post New]by WilJul on Jan 1, 11 6:34 PM
How obnoxious is it, that I keep bumping my own thread?

Go to: