beckx020
Guppy
Guppy
185 Posts

Sadly, I can't play this game

[Post New]by beckx020 on Dec 25, 10 7:49 AM
I have a wide screen laptop and the bottom of the screen is past the bottom of my laptop screen. So the bottom rows of things to find in the HOG parts is just not there. Can't turn it to windowed mode either.

Pretty sad in a new game, that looked fun, they can't make proper adjustments. Too big and cut off is just as bad as when they adjust and the full screen is about 2" x 2" and too small to play,

Hazel53Xby
Starfish
Starfish
44 Posts

Re:Sadly, I can't play this game

[Post New]by Hazel53Xby on Dec 25, 10 7:58 AM
I can't play this game either. I get the Acess Violation error yet again. The error comes up at the start of meeting the Fairy and it closes the game down. I have the latest DirectX and updates for my computer. I am running Windows XP.

caput
Guppy
Guppy
118 Posts

[Post New]by caput on Dec 25, 10 8:52 AM
I'm finding the same thing. I have a widescreen monitor also and I can't see the bottom line in the hidden object scenes. Any way I can fix that? I am finding this game really refreshing.

vingilot
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,175 Posts

[Post New]by vingilot on Dec 25, 10 9:04 AM
Have you tried different resolution settings?

[Post New]by veronique875 on Dec 25, 10 9:06 AM
People shouldn't have to change their whole computer resolution just to play one game. At least not one NEW game.

tayers81
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
15,692 Posts

[Post New]by tayers81 on Dec 25, 10 9:21 AM
I HATE when the screen is so big that it cuts off at the bottom of the screen. Instead of messing with screen resolutions I'll go into the game folder and find the .exe file (it's always the faded game icon...you might have to make sure you "unhide" the hidden files first to get to it)...I right click on it and under properties I click on the Compatability tab and then check the "Disable Visual Themes", "Disable Desktop Composition", and then the "Run this program as Administrator" boxes. I make sure to click the first box that says "Run this program in compatability mode for:" and make sure the Windows XP (service pack 2) is selected from the drop down box. After that, I click on the Apply button and then Ok. If you right click on the .exe file again and select "Run as Administrator" it should play (your computer might then ask for your permission to run the file--I just click on "Allow") and fix that problem...at least it does for me.

Sometimes, this works for Access Violations as well. I'll try that route first, and if I still get the Access Violation, I go back under properties and uncheck the "Run this program in compatability mode for:" and then "Apply" and "Ok" while keeping the other boxes previously checked and then run as administrator again...that usually gets rid of most Access Violations for me. I hope this at least works for some of you...good luck!

glb613
Guppy
Guppy
176 Posts

Sadly, I can't play this game

[Post New]by glb613 on Dec 25, 10 10:17 AM
beckx020 wrote:I have a wide screen laptop and the bottom of the screen is past the bottom of my laptop screen. So the bottom rows of things to find in the HOG parts is just not there. Can't turn it to windowed mode either.

Pretty sad in a new game, that looked fun, they can't make proper adjustments. Too big and cut off is just as bad as when they adjust and the full screen is about 2" x 2" and too small to play,

It could be your notebook's screen resolution setting rather than the game. If it's not set at the native resolution, you will have problems like you describe.

distantsmoke
Squid
Squid
63 Posts

[Post New]by distantsmoke on Dec 25, 10 11:40 AM
I'm running windows 7 on a widescreen laptop (up to date). I had to change to window mode or I couldn't see the cursor (I tried the system cursor and had the same problem). I also can't play for more than a minute or two without the game crashing my computer. I have had no trouble with any of the other recent games such as Fear for Sale or Haunted Legends.

I must be a glutton for punishment because I just keep restarting it.

MarpleLover
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,415 Posts

[Post New]by MarpleLover on Dec 25, 10 11:48 AM
Have you checked the other threads in this forum?

Krissy41
Lobster
Lobster
88 Posts

[Post New]by Krissy41 on Dec 25, 10 12:33 PM
Sad to say I can't play it either...I get to where I have to put the emerald & topaz stones down and then it "terminates" the game and it kicks me off the game...any suggestions? Thanks and Merry Christmas to everyone!

Genet1770
Guppy
Guppy
117 Posts

[Post New]by Genet1770 on Dec 25, 10 12:48 PM
I think that if you change the resolution it will correct the problem of the game not fitting on the screen, plus it seems to me - not sure here, however - that you might be able to change it just for the game, and it will correct to your normal settings after you log out. This might be only for bigger online games, tho, so consider me uninformed.

Also, I believe that the Access violation errors pertain to the Game Manager. I think the best bet for all problems running the game is to click on the green envelope to the right of these posts, at the bottom of the column there, and report the difficulties to Customer Service. They are wonderful in helping.

[Post New]by dilliedallie01 on Dec 25, 10 1:01 PM
I have not bought many "games" in the last few month due to the fact they won't work on our lap-top... This is getting very annoying, and frustrating..I have never had this problem before, and I may have to give up our membership...

P.S. We have windows 7 , and that might be the reason as this is a new lap-top, but still the screen won't even show up it just kicks me out of the game...Soooo Sad

[Post New]by dilliedallie01 on Dec 25, 10 1:09 PM
I went and changed the resolution, but now that I can play the game , I can't see the bottom of the playing screen to get the list....Boo Hoo

mama51
Seahorse
Seahorse
28 Posts

[Post New]by mama51 on Dec 25, 10 1:18 PM
Couldn't play after I got an access violation, program terminated. I tried removing it and redownloading it and it did the same thing.

glb613
Guppy
Guppy
176 Posts

[Post New]by glb613 on Dec 25, 10 1:51 PM
The first thing you need to do is make sure your computer meets the minimum requirements. It's not a Windows 7 problem because my computer plays the game just fine. Make sure your video card or chip will work and you have the native resolution set.

hollyodie
Starfish
Starfish
58 Posts

[Post New]by hollyodie on Dec 26, 10 11:16 AM
I've tried the screen resolution solutions everyone has mentioned but the only one that works for me is to manually change my resolution before I start the game and then change it back after I exit. I really like the game and am stubborn enough to keep changing the resolution even though it's a pain in the ...

If everyone who is having this problem would contact BFG support, hopefully they'll work on getting a "fix" for it.

crljncrl
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
19 Posts

[Post New]by crljncrl on Dec 26, 10 12:25 PM
I had to manually adjust the screen resolution to 800 x 600 in order to see the items at the bottom of the lists. I've never needed to do this with any other game.

bfgOkeechobee
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,211 Posts

[Post New]by bfgOkeechobee on Dec 26, 10 12:30 PM
Hey fishies!

I've started a tech issues thread, so I'm going to be locking up any other tech threads. Please feel free though to repost your tech issues in that thread, which you can access directly from here.

And if you haven't tried it yet, as others have suggested you may want to try adjusting your screen resolution. Check out the help article below for details:

Screen Resolution

-bfgOkeechobee

Go to: