soblessed57
Manatee
Manatee
3,780 Posts

Why Can't I build Houses Or Even Put Up Tents For My People, or Build More Wells?

[Post New]by soblessed57 on Dec 27, 10 4:32 PM
Help! I may have to give up on these Westward games. It said I can now build houses for all these people that keep coming to my farm,but the house is not unlocked and it said my farm needs a well,but now I never see one again when I click on the saw! Plus it said there is a gold vein south of us,but that is all black so I can't even scroll there! Why can't I move my people wherever I want and how can I build them homes and wells? I looked in the game forum and these questions are not answered!

textrekkie
Shark
Shark
13,265 Posts

Re: Why Can't I build Houses Or Even Put Up Tents For My People, or Build More Wells?

[Post New]by textrekkie on Dec 27, 10 4:41 PM
You know how I love to help, but alas, I've not played any of these games. I'm trying to think...I think maybe biomix and Smallhaven are Westward players. Shoot one or both a PM if someone doesn't stop by and answer your question.

MarpleLover
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,415 Posts

Re: Why Can't I build Houses Or Even Put Up Tents For My People, or Build More Wells?

[Post New]by MarpleLover on Dec 27, 10 4:44 PM
It might help if the OP mentioned which games??????

bella81762
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
24,424 Posts

[Post New]by bella81762 on Dec 27, 10 4:45 PM
ummm...its in the 1st sentance marple

MarpleLover
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,415 Posts

[Post New]by MarpleLover on Dec 27, 10 4:48 PM
Of course bella, but which Westward game? There are four in the series?

KRSPDS
Shark
Shark
10,491 Posts

[Post New]by KRSPDS on Dec 27, 10 4:50 PM
Firstly, this should be in the Westward forum. Secondly, I am assuming that you are talking about the first game in the series (there are now 5, but only the first 4 are available on Big Fish). In order to navigate through the black fog, you need to send a character exploring in that area - click and hold any character then drag them to an area covered by black fog, an area in around the location of both where the character has walked and where you send them will become visible. In order to build both houses and wells you need to meet the resource requirements (e.g. 50 gold and 80 wood) otherwise it is unavailable. Remember that lumber camps and mining camps also need to be employed and both farms and lumber/mining camps can house people - the house should unlock in the second part of the tutorial - if this is where you are stuck then it is because you have not built the mining camp. If you are stuck at Hope Creek then you might do well to redo the tutorial to relearn naviagation and to unlock the house. The later games do not have the black fog, but your hero cannot be employed anywhere, and you have the added requirements of experience and the need to purchase the building plans before you can build any new buildings.
Good Luck and Enjoy!

bfgOkeechobee
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,211 Posts

[Post New]by bfgOkeechobee on Dec 27, 10 5:19 PM
Hey there soblessed57!

As KRSPDS mentioned, it sounds like you're playing the first Westward.

To make sure other Westward players see your thread, I've gone ahead and moved it over to the full game forum. You can continue the discussion here.

No worries though, the thread will also be visible in the Chit-Chat Corner!

-bfgOkeechobee

Edited on 12/27/2010 at 5:20:10 PM PST

soblessed57
Manatee
Manatee
3,780 Posts

[Post New]by soblessed57 on Dec 27, 10 7:27 PM
KRSPDS wrote:Firstly, this should be in the Westward forum. Secondly, I am assuming that you are talking about the first game in the series (there are now 5, but only the first 4 are available on Big Fish). In order to navigate through the black fog, you need to send a character exploring in that area - click and hold any character then drag them to an area covered by black fog, an area in around the location of both where the character has walked and where you send them will become visible. In order to build both houses and wells you need to meet the resource requirements (e.g. 50 gold and 80 wood) otherwise it is unavailable. Remember that lumber camps and mining camps also need to be employed and both farms and lumber/mining camps can house people - the house should unlock in the second part of the tutorial - if this is where you are stuck then it is because you have not built the mining camp. If you are stuck at Hope Creek then you might do well to redo the tutorial to relearn naviagation and to unlock the house. The later games do not have the black fog, but your hero cannot be employed anywhere, and you have the added requirements of experience and the need to purchase the building plans before you can build any new buildings.
Good Luck and Enjoy!

Yes, I am playing the first Westward and I NEVER put a question in the game forum because almost without fail your post will immediately die, never to be looked at once it's placed in it's game forum!

Don't believe me, look how many questions NEVER receive a reply once a thread is placed in those specific game forums! That is EXACTLY why most post their questions in Chit-Chat!

You don't really think people go to those forums just to help answer people's questions,do you? The only reason people EVER go to those forums is to see what is said about a game they are interested in,or to see if a problem they are having is mentioned there. They are not going there thinking "Gee I wonder if I can answer anyone's questions about this game"! I have found answers to game problems in the forums at times,but most of the time it was a thread started in Chit-Chat,with several replies,and then moved to it's forum,or often I have found the thread in Chit-Chat

Guess I will have to either forget these games or find a walkthrough or find my answers elsewhere!

BTW, I have plenty of gold AND wood,but it would not allow me to build anymore wells,in fact after the first one the well was locked!

Edited on 12/27/2010 at 7:40:47 PM PST

KRSPDS
Shark
Shark
10,491 Posts

[Post New]by KRSPDS on Dec 27, 10 8:29 PM
No need to yell, we are not mind readers. You gave virtually no information, including which version you were playing. It sounds like you have a glitch, so try uninstalling then reinstalling. The other possible cause, which I already stated is that you have not completed all the requirements for the game to progress - what part of the game are you up to? You NEVER said.
BTW I usually only answer game related questions on the game forum and I know a lot of others that do that too - usually if a question goes unanswered it is because no one knows the answer. Maybe if you were not so rude, people might answer your questions, but instead you expect an answer without being either polite or giving enough information for people to be able to help, then you respond without reading all the responses - how rude! If you brought the game from Big Fish then contact customer support about your problem.

soblessed57
Manatee
Manatee
3,780 Posts

[Post New]by soblessed57 on Dec 28, 10 5:49 AM
Where am I yelling, a whole '4' capitalized words?????? SHEESH!!!!!!

Edited on 12/28/2010 at 5:56:31 AM PST

soblessed57
Manatee
Manatee
3,780 Posts

[Post New]by soblessed57 on Dec 28, 10 12:58 PM
Under 'Forums Home:Most Recent Discussions' ~ Go down the 5 pages of thread names and how many of the threads say "Chit-Chat Corner" compared to Game Title Forums?

Edited on 12/28/2010 at 12:59:18 PM PST

memawclay2
Salmon
Salmon
2,712 Posts

[Post New]by memawclay2 on Dec 28, 10 3:30 PM
Ermm, if it's safe to reply now I might could help you. It would help me a lot if you could describe where you are at in the game? From your initial post, I'm going to assume you have just finished the tutorial and are going to establish a new town with Marrion and the Mayor's daughter....?
If so, be sure to break down (click on ) the wagon and convert it to a lumber camp close to some trees or a mining camp if you are near a gold deposit.
As for your well, it should show up in your build menu. If not, I would completely remove the game from your install menu and re-download.
Unfortunately, the Westward games are very touchy to install on some computers.
Dunno why.
I had to re-install Westward 4 numerous times before I got a "clean" copy.
The best place for hints, tips and spoilers will be found at the developer's forum.
However, I will keep an eye out for any help requests now that I know you are trying to play. The learning curve is quite steep with this game. And then they went and completely changed the game mechanics with the rest of the series!! Hang in there.

KRSPDS
Shark
Shark
10,491 Posts

[Post New]by KRSPDS on Dec 28, 10 4:08 PM
soblessed57 - your entire replies have been condescending, I was just trying to help, yet you were rude and expecting everyone to be a mind reader. If bothered to read my entire message, you would have seen multiple possibilites for solving your problem. You never wrote (even in your thread title) what game you were playing, so in may cases you were missing valuable help - hence my suggestion (and the moderators) that you place the question in the game forum (you will notice that every question in the Westward forums have been answered).
I assume since you did not know how to navigate through the black fog that you had not completed the tutorial of which there are two levels. To build more houses and wells you need to first find the gold deposit and build a mining camp. If you are at Hope River, then you need to talk to Isreal Creedy before it will let you continue building. Remember, the more information you give, the more likely it is that people can help, and that adding frownies (the snarly "smilies" that you included) also represent yelling (that you are very upset).

soblessed57
Manatee
Manatee
3,780 Posts

[Post New]by soblessed57 on Dec 29, 10 5:11 AM
KRSPDS wrote: soblessed57 - your entire replies have been condescending, I was just trying to help, yet you were rude and expecting everyone to be a mind reader. If bothered to read my entire message, you would have seen multiple possibilites for solving your problem. You never wrote (even in your thread title) what game you were playing, so in may cases you were missing valuable help - hence my suggestion (and the moderators) that you place the question in the game forum (you will notice that every question in the Westward forums have been answered).
I assume since you did not know how to navigate through the black fog that you had not completed the tutorial of which there are two levels. To build more houses and wells you need to first find the gold deposit and build a mining camp. If you are at Hope River, then you need to talk to Isreal Creedy before it will let you continue building. Remember, the more information you give, the more likely it is that people can help, and that adding frownies (the snarly "smilies" that you included) also represent yelling (that you are very upset).

How about you stop FLAMING me, with your SNARKY attitude and remarks,HUH? As you have from the get go! (holds up crucifix to ward off KRSPDS)

Edited on 12/29/2010 at 8:17:11 AM PST

soblessed57
Manatee
Manatee
3,780 Posts

[Post New]by soblessed57 on Dec 29, 10 5:15 AM
memawclay2 wrote: Ermm, if it's safe to reply now I might could help you. It would help me a lot if you could describe where you are at in the game? From your initial post, I'm going to assume you have just finished the tutorial and are going to establish a new town with Marrion and the Mayor's daughter....?
If so, be sure to break down (click on ) the wagon and convert it to a lumber camp close to some trees or a mining camp if you are near a gold deposit.
As for your well, it should show up in your build menu. If not, I would completely remove the game from your install menu and re-download.
Unfortunately, the Westward games are very touchy to install on some computers.
Dunno why.
I had to re-install Westward 4 numerous times before I got a "clean" copy.
The best place for hints, tips and spoilers will be found at the developer's forum.
However, I will keep an eye out for any help requests now that I know you are trying to play. The learning curve is quite steep with this game. And then they went and completely changed the game mechanics with the rest of the series!! Hang in there.

Thank You memaw. No, actually I was already in Hope River when I first posted. That is where I still am,but as some strange things are happening like seeing some characters quickly walking 'in place' but getting nowhere. I think you are on to something,that I may have to reinstall. Thank You for sharing that info. I appreciate it.

memawclay2
Salmon
Salmon
2,712 Posts

[Post New]by memawclay2 on Dec 29, 10 6:16 AM
Yvw, soblessed, and best of luck to you. If re-installing the game gives you no joy, this may be a fix-it case for the tech crew.
Lol, now I have to start me a new game....just to refresh my memory of course.

soblessed57
Manatee
Manatee
3,780 Posts

[Post New]by soblessed57 on Dec 29, 10 6:59 AM
memawclay2 wrote: Yvw, soblessed, and best of luck to you. If re-installing the game gives you no joy, this may be a fix-it case for the tech crew.
Lol, now I have to start me a new game....just to refresh my memory of course.

LOL, I just reinstalled it,so you know what I will be doing for awhile. I also purchased WW:IV since it is so highly rated and sounds some easier at a certain game review site.

Now I'm off to see how in the world I hire a Sheriff,since I haven't been able to figure that one out yet. If I click and drag a guy onto the Sheriff's Office,nothing happens,LOL! At least I can be confidant in BF CS if it's a problem with the game. If it's a problem with myself,I just hope to finally get the hang of it,as it is pretty fun.
Thanks again.memaw

bfgOkeechobee
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,211 Posts

[Post New]by bfgOkeechobee on Dec 29, 10 11:10 AM
Hey folks!

Let's get this conversation back on track and keep the following Forum Rules in mind when posting:
Treat other posters with respect. Harassing, attacking, threatening, provoking, calling unwanted attention to, name-calling, insulting, or bothering other forum users will not be tolerated. Play nice.
Do not respond to or comment on posts or discussions that break the rules. Report the post or discussion to a moderator. Contributing, even to mention that something breaks the rules, keeps that discussion visible and aggravates the problem.
PM a moderator if you have any questions.

-bfgOkeechobee

KRSPDS
Shark
Shark
10,491 Posts

[Post New]by KRSPDS on Dec 29, 10 2:50 PM
soblessed57- if you would read my first post, I was nothing but kind and respectful, you replied with rudenesss and condescention, a total lack of respect, for someone just trying to help. I appologise if I somehow managed to anger you with my politeness and kindness in my first post, and if I continued to do so by stating that you are rude and condescending.
You would have also noted that the very thing you are now trying is what I suggested in my first post - uninstall and reinstall. I wish you the very best of luck and hope that you manage to calm down and show others the same respect that you expect from others.
I hope that you enjoy the game and that you have a wonderful new year.

KRSPDS
Shark
Shark
10,491 Posts

[Post New]by KRSPDS on Dec 29, 10 2:55 PM
LOL, I just reinstalled it,so you know what I will be doing for awhile. I also purchased WW:IV since it is so highly rated and sounds some easier at a certain game review site.

Now I'm off to see how in the world I hire a Sheriff,since I haven't been able to figure that one out yet. If I click and drag a guy onto the Sheriff's Office,nothing happens,LOL! At least I can be confidant in BF CS if it's a problem with the game. If it's a problem with myself,I just hope to finally get the hang of it,as it is pretty fun.
Thanks again.memaw

I thought I'd be kind and tell you that you do not employ a person at the Sheriffs Office, if the game is running properly, then when you click on the office there will be two buttons, one for sheriffs and one for deputies. Click on the sheriff button to hire a sheriff - unlike other Westward games, you can hire as many sheriffs and deputies as you can afford. Enjoy the game and good luck

Go to: