cleoladycat
Manatee
Manatee
3,734 Posts

Laura Jones GGE Todays DD 31/12/10 Comments and reviews.

[Post New]by cleoladycat on Dec 31, 10 12:25 AM
Any comments for the Gates of Good and Evil?

LovetoMissLisa
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,823 Posts

Re:Laura Jones GGE Todays DD 31/12/10 Comments and reviews.

[Post New]by LovetoMissLisa on Dec 31, 10 1:07 AM
It's simple and easy,no bell's or whistle and very good for begginers. But for the DD I think it's a fun game for the price and relaxing and you don't have to work hard. But then again, I love all the hog's & Ihog's. As this goes in the games of the hog family, I'd call it a piglet. LOL cute,easy,great for the price.

gimmegames
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,231 Posts

[Post New]by gimmegames on Dec 31, 10 2:11 AM
I played the hour demo, and for me, this is a "buy" - and the last punch I needed for my punch card. All inventory items so far have been used in the scene they are found in - so no to-ing and fro-ing. For what it is, it seems very well-crafted, with decent music and sound environment, and colorful mini-games - and a cool story so far.

Genet1770
Guppy
Guppy
117 Posts

[Post New]by Genet1770 on Dec 31, 10 3:34 AM
LovetoMissLisa, hello! And welcome to the forums. Thank you for that great review, it told me all I needed to know to make the decision on whether to get this or not. In other words, it's a buy for me, too.

Oh, and I LOVE that term "piglet"....this one we gotta remember, Gimme, for future use, it's perfect.

jennsmom
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,207 Posts

[Post New]by jennsmom on Dec 31, 10 6:07 AM
Maybe, just maybe, if I needed another punch on my card, I'd get this, but I don't like games that really take me by the hand and lead me to whatever I'm supposed to do. And, OK, it's not a plucky granddaughter rescuing her grandpa, but that's because they changed it to a prof and his assistant.Ordeal by Fish Feeding??
Oh, brother.

My cards are filled, and it's the 31st, so this is a definite no buy for me. Maybe it gets better -- I only played for 15 minutes, but I doubt the improvement would make the sale.

Bobbie53
Squid
Squid
75 Posts

[Post New]by Bobbie53 on Dec 31, 10 6:17 AM
Thank you Genet1770. I too enjoyed LovetoMissLisa's review. This game is straight forward. You finish a mini game and it is available for future play.
I will be buying this game.

Welcome to LovetoMissLisa: Your description saved me time to get back to the game.

Happy New Year Everyone!!!!

BIG THANKS TO BIG FISH for providing a safe, entertaining, and affordable environment for winding down from a long stressful day at work.

njmathews
Seahorse
Seahorse
38 Posts

[Post New]by njmathews on Dec 31, 10 9:19 AM
Yes, it is simpler than an ihog, but sometimes that's just what I'm looking for! That, and one more game for my punchcard Played the demo for 30 minutes and I'm enjoying this piglet, so its a buy for me!

Jadakiss2000
Minnow
Minnow
209 Posts

[Post New]by Jadakiss2000 on Dec 31, 10 9:39 AM
Yes, a buy for me. Sometimes you just need simpler. I was holding off sending my 2010 Award Winners games order through until today so I wouldn't have to start another card. Since this one will make me have to start another card, I will wait to send that order through tomorrow. Good thing the sale goes until Sunday. Thanks Big Fish.

gimmegames
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,231 Posts

[Post New]by gimmegames on Dec 31, 10 12:52 PM
I played thru to the end and enjoyed it. Took several hours to play thru it. Used a few hints, but had more than plenty left over.

kdubs
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,480 Posts

[Post New]by kdubs on Dec 31, 10 1:34 PM
Thanks for the reviews. Bought the game. There is alot of dialogue but you can move through it quickly by clicking. More than just lists of objects, good variety, and some different mini's.
No voices, just moving lips, which is always a little odd.....but the dog! I don't recall that his mouth moved, but his dialogue was "bark!" not "woof" or even "bow-wow" LOL.
Time to go game shopping now. This game is only my 3rd punch (all DD's) on my 1st card but I still have 8 hours to see if I can decide from the list of new games. Three new SE or one CE. The clock is ticking down......
May 2011 bring us , , , and more good games. Kellie

goddess280653
Guppy
Guppy
141 Posts

[Post New]by goddess280653 on Dec 31, 10 3:18 PM
Well, as some of you have commented - a simple but enjoyable game and hey, sometimes simple is good especially if you want to switch your brain off for a few days over the Xmas holidays. I needed one more click on my punchcard so it's a buy for me !! Happy New Year to all @ BFG and all the fishies in the pond - let's hope this year brings some more awesome games !!

LovetoMissLisa
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,823 Posts

[Post New]by LovetoMissLisa on Dec 31, 10 3:44 PM
LovetoMissLisa wrote:It's simple and easy,no bell's or whistle and very good for begginers. But for the DD I think it's a fun game for the price and relaxing and you don't have to work hard. But then again, I love all the hog's & Ihog's. As this goes in the games of the hog family, I'd call it a piglet. LOL cute,easy,great for the price.

I like to thank everyone for there warm welcome to the pond and there fond comments to my post. Please feel free to use my term "Piglet" . I'm so glad everyone is enjoying it and getting a chuckle out of it. That was my intention.
Best to everyone and a Happy New Year!
Lisa

NIMHURCHU
Clownfish
Clownfish
744 Posts

[Post New]by NIMHURCHU on Dec 31, 10 4:39 PM
Many thanks to all who take the time to post reviews. I really depend on them, and they are always so enjoyable to read.

Lately, I've been comparing everything to games such as Dire Grove, and Drawn. Laura Jones is a pleasant enough game, but doesn't have that "wow factor" for me like DG. There are plenty of hints, and you can find extras in the form of question marks in the scenes. I found the music annoying, so I turned it off - something I rarely do. I liked that you can skip mini games, and are given an option of doing a hidden object scene instead. I skipped two games that I simply didn't like to do. There didn't seem to be any penalty for random clicking.

For me, this would be a good game to pick up at $2.99 if I was desperate for a final punch on my card. However, I'm not sure how much longer I would have in the game. I restored the garden on Level 14, when my time ran out. It didn't look like there was much space for more levels. I'm guessing that there are maybe three more levels?? Does anybody know how many levels are in the game?

Casey68
Starfish
Starfish
52 Posts

[Post New]by Casey68 on Dec 31, 10 5:05 PM
Hi Nim,

It looks like there are 18 levels from the walkthrough that I saw.

tredzwater
Minnow
Minnow
231 Posts

[Post New]by tredzwater on Dec 31, 10 5:37 PM
Like most of the pisceans here, I needed just one more punch. For what you get, it's been the best three bucks I've spent in quite a while.

Thanks, Felix!

BTW, only 2 more months and I get my stuffed mascot. Generally, the only stuffed fish I'm interested in is one loaded with heavily buttered Progresso Italian, cheese and Roma tomatoes but I have to say I'll put him in pride of place on my computer desk with joy.

puzzledone
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,182 Posts

[Post New]by puzzledone on Dec 31, 10 5:49 PM
I was going to ask if This Little Piggie has more hints than just 3. I think that was answered above (?) When I saw those ? marks on screenshots I thought the hints would be limited, shades of Prime Suspects and Huntsville. Well, by now I shouldn't need them but who knows. I've passed on a lot of DDs of the past that I ran out of hints. Well, at least no timer. I'm open for an easy old fashioned HOG, easy minis.

So, are you saying if you see a ? and click it you get even more hints than 3? I like collecting those coins in Big City, altho I rarely have to use more.

Thanks for good info above. I didn't want to start a new card but what the heck for just three bucks

HAPPY 2011

gimmegames
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,231 Posts

[Post New]by gimmegames on Dec 31, 10 8:22 PM
I'm thinking I ended with like 30-some hints left over - definitely a lot more than 3...

NIMHURCHU
Clownfish
Clownfish
744 Posts

[Post New]by NIMHURCHU on Dec 31, 10 10:07 PM
Casey, thanks for the info. I think that I'll pass on this game, as I doubt I'd get very much more playing time out of it.

Happy New Year to all!!!

puzzledone
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,182 Posts

[Post New]by puzzledone on Jan 1, 11 12:43 AM
It's a BUY the minute the demo opened and I saw Nevosoft, I knew I was in for some fun and good humor. Their Vampireville my most LOL game, they made Mushroom Age too. This game isn't on timer as some older ones have been I couldn't play.

Game isn't timed but demos are, and to progress faster I used the hints then got into that crazy feed cat the fish. I thought I fed at least 20 then noticed it doesn't say how many but what % you got, or missing one or something brings down your score, Hadn't notice which fish he wanted oops. I was only at 25% and skipped, then got in a find all the fishing stuff. Sounded easy til I was stumped on the last item and no hints....oh well, it was fun, no random penalties so got the last one in a frantic pixel click to the next level, then had to stop at nearly midnight (had a late start boo hoo). Quit, hit buy so it will be a fun NY going back to relax.

Some complain about lips moving but no voiceovers and have to read dialogue. Well, think folks, made in Russia, so even if a voiceover only if you speak Russian would you get it. So,take Vampireville they did dub in English voices, then complaints the lips were out of sync. I think I'd rather read English subtitles than miss the story or at least the premise what's going on. Maybe because I've always loved foreign films and used to subtitles or out of sync voices, so sure doesn't spoil the entertainment here. These Russian guys are fun, quirky, but have a worldwide audience.

Don't know how I missed this one, but for sure will check out their other Laura Jones game next, a sequel I think re Tesla. OK this was my 7th punch hanging for Dec, but since I only filled one card in Dec instead of usual 2 or 3, $2.99 and no punch won't kill me, saved a lot of $ for the month, and can start with a CE tomorrow and a HAPPY NEW YEARS DAY.
(WHEW,what a rush by midnight, buy a DD and 2 minutes left to watch Time Square party time
HOPE YOURS WAS/IS HAPPY TOO. Thanks for a good year of games for me in 2010

peanutfish
Manatee
Manatee
3,948 Posts

[Post New]by peanutfish on Jan 1, 11 1:35 PM
Having a lot of fun in this game. Well worth the DD price.

What is nice about this game, you can build your hints up by finding all of the question marks.
Got to the last level of the game. Had almost everything done in the pyramid/temple.
Shut the game down to go look for a walkthrough. (got stuck) Went back into the game. It is making me start from the beginning of the last level. lol

This game gets a little harder on each consecutive level.

Go to: