bfgImbrium
Manatee
Manatee
4,236 Posts

Your Comments and Reviews for Hodgepodge Hollow

[Post New]by bfgImbrium on Jan 4, 11 12:12 AM
Hey Fishies! What do you think of Hodgepodge Hollow? We value your reviews, as do many of the other fishies in our pond, so feel free to post your comments and opinions in this thread!

Remember, a lot of people who will be reading this thread will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

For discussions other than your general feedback on this game you can create a new discussion in the game forum and if you are experiencing technical issues, be sure to swim over to the support thread here.

Happy gaming!

bfgImbrium

rhonayotte
Catfish
Catfish
1,555 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Hodgepodge Hollow

[Post New]by rhonayotte on Jan 4, 11 12:39 AM
Okay...this is just plain cute! Played 15 minutes so far and thinking it will be a buy for me! It's colorful...very bright! The music is soothing if not turned up too loud. You have to help these adorable gnomes make potions. You have a map that takes you to different locations where you will either interact with a H O scene or find multiple items.

You may need to coerce some creatures into allowing you to explore their area. You do this either with potions you create or by other means.

The hint loads pretty quickly so no problem there.

Some may think this is more a child's game, but for an older person, I personally found it a refreshing change of pace from the darker form of game. It made me feel relaxed.

Don't know if there are mini-games or not and have no clue how long it is because at the moment there doesn't seem to be a walkthrough.

Give the demo a try! I will play more of it before I decide for certain to buy or not.

Thus far, I really want to give this a big

Will play some more and come back later on with a bit more info. But really, so far so good...and again...gotta say it....really cute! I just LOVE the gnomes!

care___916
Clownfish
Clownfish
988 Posts

[Post New]by care___916 on Jan 4, 11 12:42 AM
The drawings are cute. Hint recharges quickly. Looks like a straight HOG. A no pressure game.

This game is a not for me, didnt like the storyline if there was one lol.

Happy game day

jkuci
Flounder
Flounder
2,447 Posts

[Post New]by jkuci on Jan 4, 11 12:46 AM

I totally agree with everything rhonayotte posted above.

I didn't think I'd like it much until I played awhile.

You get to use potions on characters, you get to toss little amadillos that show you your way on a map, you get hints from a gnome that sleeps most of the time until called upon.

Graphics are hand drawn and have an almost luminous quality.

The music is soft and harp-like. No voices.

Give it a try!

sassylassie
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,107 Posts

[Post New]by sassylassie on Jan 4, 11 1:12 AM
care___916 wrote:The drawings are cute. Hint recharges quickly. Looks like a straight HOG. A no pressure game.

This game is a not for me, didnt like the storyline if there was one lol.

Happy game day

I usually love Jolly Bear games, but I have to agree with Care. The graphics are cute, and there was a few different things to do, but to me it was getting too repetitive. I was getting bored with it. No buy here.

Sassy

niya00
Lobster
Lobster
99 Posts

[Post New]by niya00 on Jan 4, 11 1:32 AM
Guess this is a buy for me. Hopefully the length will be decent. Getting a little desperate for better games. This seems to have no issues. cute and different. a bit on the easy side but a good pass time so far. Guality is at least what i had grown to exprect from BF. will post again if i run into any 'boogers' during the play. At least I have no problem figuring out what I am trying to do. My vote so far, a decent game, good enough to pacify while waiting for our "oh goody" releases!

sinshack
Flounder
Flounder
2,150 Posts

[Post New]by sinshack on Jan 4, 11 1:40 AM
Any game that lets you toss armadillos (aka "Texas speed bumps") sounds like fun! Downloading now. I just replayed the Drawn series, so I'm ready for something light, both in the graphics and in atmosphere.

Surly1
Starfish
Starfish
40 Posts

[Post New]by Surly1 on Jan 4, 11 1:42 AM
I actually like it. It is whimsical and I actually found myself smiling through most of it. Graphics are easy on the eye and has an overall ethereal feel to it. Fishies who like darker games will definitely not go for this one, but I found it refreshing and strangely calming. Really, who doesn't like cute little gnomes and whimsical creatures? LOL (guess I never really grew up) It's a buy for me...with a name like Surlyone, I need all the smiles I can get.

slepless777
Guppy
Guppy
121 Posts

[Post New]by slepless777 on Jan 4, 11 2:07 AM
Lovely graphics, lovely music, whimsical characters and a fairy tale atmosphere.

The gameplay gets too repetitive for me, tho. All you ever do is collect things to make potions. There is some interactive play in which you either get to use one of the potions you've made or you need to figure out what to do in a scene in order to complete a task. It's fun and all, but I'm not sure I want to buy it. I might use a punch card credit for it.

belamba
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,058 Posts

[Post New]by belamba on Jan 4, 11 2:32 AM
Think this a really nice game, and a refreshing change from straight HOGs. Superb drawings, lots of humour and cute.
Music ok too.
I'm stuck though and would appreciate someones help. Details in my Help thread.

LovetoMissLisa
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,823 Posts

[Post New]by LovetoMissLisa on Jan 4, 11 2:40 AM
This is a sweet game,graphics are beautiful,and the story is precious. I will be getting it when it become DD, or punch card. But that's only because, I buy so many games, I like to get deals. But I really think it's sweet.

I rate this "PIGLET"

My "Terms" for Hogs,IHogs,Frogs & Other types of games.

"FINE SWINE" Great game-bells and whistles,best,greatest, I love it.
"PIGLET" Good game-your basic run of the mill Hog. Only for true hog lover's.
"PORK BELLY" Likable for some,but not for everyone.
"TROTTER" Bad game-pig's foot,don't run away with buying it. lol
"PIG DOWN" and rolling in the mudd" -Bad Bad game, don't go near it or you'll get soiled. lol

bella81762
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
24,424 Posts

[Post New]by bella81762 on Jan 4, 11 2:47 AM
lovin your hog terms misslisa, very cute,

LovetoMissLisa
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,823 Posts

[Post New]by LovetoMissLisa on Jan 4, 11 3:10 AM
bella81762 wrote:lovin your hog terms misslisa, very cute,

Thank you,
I really appreciate it, everyone is Welcome to use my terms freely.

[Post New]by heatherington on Jan 4, 11 3:33 AM
Looks good, sounds great hope its a buy. I love the artwork, very nice. Just hope they don't do anything stupid.

peglegann
Stingray
Stingray
5,174 Posts

[Post New]by peglegann on Jan 4, 11 3:42 AM
Options are for, music, sounds, 3d acceleration, full screen and maximum quality.
Sound and music up or down, the rest did not seem to do much for me. Young childrens book type drawing, a bit like chalk. Not terribly crisp. The music was very repetitive so I had to turn this down. I got fed up collecting items for potions and then making them. I really do not care how long it is, I do not want to buy. It is a gentle game, just IMHO very boring.

cherbtoo
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
22,629 Posts

[Post New]by cherbtoo on Jan 4, 11 4:06 AM
This is a nicely drawn hidden object game, apart from finding the crystals in Boundless Dark ... sorry but I did not think the graphics were as good for this area and, as it was the first place I chose to go looking for my ingredients it put me off somewhat.

I do love some of the names of the places where you have to go looking for the ingredients to make your potions ... Gullible Hoel, Gnome Sweet Gnome and Addlebrains Aviary. It is in the last area where you find chickweed which is a baby chick with a flower and leaves on its head how original is that .

The music is quite enjoyable in the background but I did turn the "yes that is the correct object noises" down and down and down and off .

All in all it is a pleasant little PIGLET HOG (yes I agree LovetoMissLisa ) where there are either different objects or about 15+ of the same type to find in each scene and every few scenes you make a potion so it is a game that you can really relax with.

Cherb

PS ... Highlight between the and the if you want to know what chickweed looks like .

pixielily
Minnow
Minnow
291 Posts

[Post New]by pixielily on Jan 4, 11 4:20 AM
This is a cute game and I played the demo with my almost 3yr old grandson who loves playing HOGs. He liked it, but this game would have been great if there were voices.

I saw a comment that about childgames (sorry not sure who said it) I have to say there is nothing wrong with games for children if you enjoy them. I personally like them sometimes for me not just my grandson.

It does not seem to be a bad length with you having to find and create 14 potions.

I give this a 4 out of 5 if only it would of had voices!

yasure
Minnow
Minnow
217 Posts

[Post New]by yasure on Jan 4, 11 4:30 AM
Cute little game but not a buy for me. Great for kids. And kids at heart

[Post New]by heatherington on Jan 4, 11 4:41 AM
Cute, cute, cute, cute, cute. I love it! It's a definite buy for me. Enchanting! Which is what I like. All you had to say was "Jolly Bear" anyway. And I had to laugh when I saw the "chick weed" that was too cute. Did I mention that this was just a cute little game, easy to play. A great change of pace from haunted houses, archelogical digs, grandfathers lost and generally dark and dreary stuff.

Edited on 01/04/2011 at 4:43:43 AM PST

belamba
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,058 Posts

[Post New]by belamba on Jan 4, 11 4:50 AM
cherbtoo wrote:This is a nicely drawn hidden object game, apart from finding the crystals in Boundless Dark ... sorry but I did not think the graphics were as good for this area and, as it was the first place I chose to go looking for my ingredients it put me off somewhat.

Hi,
If you use the matches at that point, the scene becomes lit:-))

Go to: