mintjulelip
Minnow
Minnow
232 Posts

Disappointed

[Post New]by mintjulelip on Jan 5, 11 6:50 PM
I was looking forward to this game as it really looked like a winner but I am sad to report I am disappointed with the game overall.

I must say that the game is beautifully done; nice graphics, interesting story, music is ok but that's about where the kudos stop. Without giving away any spoilers, there are several things I found not to my liking with this game:

1) The "monetary" system was at best annoying. Changing one item into another in order to purchase things was time consuming, boring, & seemed pointless. Why not just have 1 currency? I felt like this "money exchange" was thrown in to lengthen the game & completely unnecessary to the game itself.

2) The game seems to meander with no clear purpose & for the first time ever I had to check the walk-through for direction.

3) The watch mechanics (or the way it's used & when it's used) leave something to be desired. It's not always clear exactly what you need to do.

3) The hint feature is basically useless. You're better off using the walk-through. The only time the hint is actually beneficial is when you're looking for those tiny currency items.

4) Picking up the small "currency items" in every scene was tedious. Even though they begin to flash after a time, the items are extremely small & hard to see. Considering you literally need hundreds of them, this is a mindless, time consuming task that I could have done without.

5) There is a LOT of dialogue to click through. I don't mind cut scenes or small amounts of dialogue that help the story but when you have to click, click, click after each sentence, it gets annoying & time consuming.

I played the demo & used a credit to buy the game but I am wishing now I had saved the credit. After playing for 1.5 hrs, I had to stop & take a break due to the constant tedious tasks that detracted from the whole experience.

I would give this game 3.5 stars out of 5 simply because it is a well made game, better than average graphics, no bugs or glitches, loads fairly fast, & is longer than the normal iHOG even if a lot of your time is spent on tedious tasks. It's really too bad because the premise was good & it is a quality game but I think with some tweeking, this game could have been a home run. In addition, I played this game right after playing Mishap 2 and there is just NO comparison.

Edited on 01/05/2011 at 6:55:11 PM PST

dianaluna
Herring
Herring
339 Posts

Re:Disappointed

[Post New]by dianaluna on Jan 6, 11 3:22 PM
Mintjulelip--you nailed it! I just completed the Demo...& sighed because this game had promise, but it is a no-buy. You've enumerated the reasons perfectly. Too bad--I did get a laugh out of some of the dialogue--guess I'll wait for the third Flux Family Game.

DrRobert
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,807 Posts

Disappointed

[Post New]by DrRobert on Jan 6, 11 9:08 PM
mintjulelip wrote:I must say that the game is beautifully done; nice graphics, interesting story, music is ok but that's about where the kudos stop. Without giving away any spoilers, there are several things I found not to my liking with this game:

The watch mechanics (or the way it's used & when it's used) leave something to be desired. It's not always clear exactly what you need to do.

The hint feature is basically useless. You're better off using the walk-through. The only time the hint is actually beneficial is when you're looking for those tiny currency items.

There is a LOT of dialogue to click through and when you have to click, click, click after each sentence, it gets annoying & time consuming.

I have removed parts of mintjuleps post to save room. I have left the parts I agree with whole-heartedly.

I personally would like to add that I never, in the 48 minutes of the demo I played, ever got to spend any of the currency I got. As a matter of fact, I could never get past the Toy Store/General Store scene. Hint? Why bother. Same droll answer from the stupid protaganist every time. This one went on the reject list after 48 minutes. And it had such great possibilities.

Go to: