bfgFlounder
12,864 Posts

Your Comments and Reviews for Crossworlds: The Flying City

[Post New]by bfgFlounder on Jan 8, 11 1:35 AM
Hey Fishies! What do you think of Crossworlds: The Flying City? We value your reviews, as do many of the other fishies in our pond, so feel free to post your comments, opinions, hints and tips in this thread!

Remember, a lot of people who will be reading this thread will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

Happy gaming!

bfgFlounder

elldee2728
Shark
Shark
14,378 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Crossworlds: The Flying City

[Post New]by elldee2728 on Jan 8, 11 1:49 AM
(Posted this in another forum just b4 this one came up--double-duty, I guess)

Well, guess I'll jump right in with a few thoughts (after a mere 19 minutes viewing the demo). It's gotta be tough coming in just a couple of days after Phantasmat--even a really good game might pale in comparison. To me, this one pales on its own. The premise (daughter about to go on frantic search for missing, time-warping professor/Dad) seems like yesterday's news. But, for sure, she's gotta pack a few things (from a hidden-object search that includes a mustache in a girl's bedroom) b4 she goes trotting off to a parallel universe! OK, all ready--wait, why did she lock herself in her room? Whew, there's the key! I got through searching a bookshelf and another hidden-object scene in Dad's study, and I'd had enough. (Almost forgot to mention--a cute, but poorly-disguised, plug for what might be this dev's game on the laptop in the girl's room--"1 Penguin--100 Cases.")

The options menu is spartan--sound, music (which was decent--I left the speakers on), game cursor only (it worked OK). No challenge levels and I don't recall any tutorial (probably wouldn't need it anyways--the cursor icon changes to fit the task (directional arrow, hand etc.) and sparkles tell the hidden-object scenes). Graphics seemed just average to me, sometimes a bit fuzzy

I didn't get far enough in the demo to get introduced to other characters or locations, but another very astute forum mentions names like "Dumbdore," "Bogwarts," and "Beastly." More than coincidence, I'd say! Think I'll steer clear of this one (although some folks may think it's unfair to voice this opinion after just 19 minutes--only observations).

(P.S. After reading some really good comments, this deserves another try from me. Thanks.) And it got one--played the last 41 minutes of the demo, and that changed my mind. Once away from the house, there's a whole new world out there, as some good reviews have said. I'm moving from slightly negative to slightly positive.

Edited on 01/08/2011 at 8:04:55 PM PST

cherbtoo
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
22,629 Posts

[Post New]by cherbtoo on Jan 8, 11 2:27 AM
NOT REALLY A SPOILER ALERT JUST A SLIGHT HINT

... oh happy day .

If you enjoyed 1 Penguin 100 Cases then this game is for you .

GOOD NEWS: Your grandfather is safe
BAD NEWS: Your father is missing .

I was so engrossed in playing that Felix had to stop me plus here it is 9:30 already and my breakfast is still in the kitchen .

The graphics are clear and the objects cleverly hidden because at first sight you can't believe that there are that many objects hidden in the scene however sometimes you just see a little bit of the object peeping out. If you get stuck finding them the hint does recharge as I tried it once ... I also tried fast clicking and got "Give the mouse a break will ya" ... much more acceptable than the cursor doing a loop de loop so WELL DONE DEVS

Hint ... if you get stuck go back through the different areas and check everywhere as one action triggers another and, where there wasn't a hidden object scene on your way through, there is when you go back.

Another good point is that, there is a scene that is used a couple of times for a hidden object area and the objects are not in the same place WELL DONE DEVS .

The music is pleasant to start with but is on a loop and so got muted after a while.

Anyway I can't stay here chatting all day, I have puzzles to solve and a missing father to find .

Enjoy .

Cherb

PS ... although I didn't find it too bad, those that don't like a bright flash of light just look away for a few seconds when you activate the teleporter just in case .

tuttepeever
Herring
Herring
366 Posts

[Post New]by tuttepeever on Jan 8, 11 2:48 AM
Didn't find anything appealing about the demo so it's a No Buy.

mcurty
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,991 Posts

[Post New]by mcurty on Jan 8, 11 2:52 AM
Demo Only:
Cherbtoo has done a much better job than I can of expressing my opinion of this game.

What a delightful surprise! After 30 min of the demo, I was stuck and ready to give up on it. Then I read Wolfenraindancer's comments from the other thread and decided to give it another go. I got unstuck and am really glad that I did continue. This does get better and better as it progresses. It has some truly unique game play. Was sad to see shut me down. I may just go spend my credit on it because now I want to see what else is in store with the rest of the game.

I'm not a great H0 fan, but there is enough interactive play to keep me interested. The H0 scenes are very well done. Some objects were very hard to spot at first, but it got easier as I became more accustomed to the artwork. In places the artwork was so intriguing, I just got immersed in looking around. The English was very good in the part that I played.

S_Sorcha
Seahorse
Seahorse
25 Posts

[Post New]by S_Sorcha on Jan 8, 11 2:54 AM
I tried it for the hour and was frustrated many times. Not very fun and it kinda reminded me of Lost in the City, but only more depressing (if that's possible)! Not my cup of tea, especially after Phantasmat and Death at Fairing Point. To those who like it, enjoy!

~~Swim long and prosper fishies

[Post New]by heatherington on Jan 8, 11 3:03 AM
I better be able to finish and not get tied up in technical difficulty. I like the artwork and am downloading now. Even though the story line is **** hum, it should be a very good game.

Leemo
Herring
Herring
309 Posts

[Post New]by Leemo on Jan 8, 11 3:33 AM
The trial finished too soon so I bought it right away. The game doesn't seem too easy which is nice. Spelling mistake in the first sentence wasn't too impressive but haven't noticed anymore so far. Game runs well, bright points in HOG scenes make it difficult to see what's in that area (on my PC anyway) and the music doesn't irritate me for once .

Looking forward to the rest of the game.

Poutoule
Archerfish
Archerfish
41,630 Posts

[Post New]by Poutoule on Jan 8, 11 4:07 AM
Only played 10 mintes but it's a no buy for me. Didn't like the graphics, objects easy to find. Didn't turn the sound on so ? It's probably not as easy as it seems, but I didn't enjoyed myself playing it, just slightly bored. Thought I'd give it a try as for once it's the father missing (Grandpa is probably dead). Usually girls wear false eye-lashes but here she seems to prefer the moustache.

LovetoMissLisa
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,823 Posts

[Post New]by LovetoMissLisa on Jan 8, 11 4:33 AM
I started this game and got bored. I was not interested in it. Put this little piglet to bed and then I woke it up, to try it again. I liked it much better the second time around. It does grow on you, but you have to give this time. It is a basic hog with some Ihog. I would only get this game with a DD or punchcard.

I'd rate this: "PIGLET" Good game-your basic run of the mill Hog. Only for true hog lover's.

' '
(o)

sinshack
Flounder
Flounder
2,150 Posts

[Post New]by sinshack on Jan 8, 11 5:23 AM
I just finished the demo, so I'm off to buy. I got royally stuck just once, and I'm praying for a walkthrough (oh, MargieB, you got a few minutes??) or I know I'll be spending the day coming to this forum for more answers.

The game definately grows on you. The title confused me at first, because it's so much like Hidden Object Crosswords that I thought we were going to be getting a string of that genre this week! But despite the "find the father who got lost in time" theme, this game has a lot of unique touches that will make quite a few fishies happy.

Give it a try, and then play the whole demo. As you can see from several other posts, a lot of us were ready to trash-can it early on, but as you progress the gameplay gets much more interesting.

peglegann
Stingray
Stingray
5,174 Posts

[Post New]by peglegann on Jan 8, 11 5:34 AM
Thank you eldee, Cherb, goofy and everyone for the reviews. I played for about 30 minutes, then came to the forum, played a little more and........ not sure. Then I read sinshack's review and this confused me
Give it a try, and then play the whole demo LOL! Did you mean then play the whole game? Only teasing..... At the moment I have a couple of games to finish, so I will hold back from buying, to see the comments from fishies that have finished the game. I just was not "grabbed" by it. Have a fun weekend all

jennsmom
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,207 Posts

[Post New]by jennsmom on Jan 8, 11 6:08 AM
Played 17 minutes of the demo and so far, I see nothing that grabs me. The name Dumbdore was a turn off right at the beginning, but I'll overlook that. Some of the objects are very tiny, and blend more into the background than they should. I realize my eyes aren't the best, but I also use a magnifying glass.

Directions are unclear. On the plus side, the music is OK, and the game cursor works just fine. I'm going off to do other things for a bit and then come back and try it again, but so far, it is not a buy for me....and I have this credit burning a hole in my pocket!

Whoopee! I'm a lobster!

Edit some time later: Directions are nonexistant. Objects are too difficult for my eyes to find. A couple were almost entirely off the screen, and I've never had that problem before. I gave it more time because so many others seemed to like it, but for me, there's no question about it. I think it's terrible, and I wouldn't buy it even as a DD.

Edited on 01/08/2011 at 11:43:58 AM PST

JetFairy
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
13 Posts

[Post New]by JetFairy on Jan 8, 11 6:09 AM
Guys! Did anyone go though the robots’ world to the next one - the river world?
It is just fantastic! I could simply look around enjoying the locations. That impressed me much!

snapnhiss
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,483 Posts

[Post New]by snapnhiss on Jan 8, 11 6:10 AM
The screen grabs intrigue me, they look like a cross between Syberia and Dream Chronicles, both of which I find almost hypnotically beautiful. Does the rest of the game look that good?

janspack
Herring
Herring
338 Posts

[Post New]by janspack on Jan 8, 11 6:11 AM
Just finished the game and was pleased to see that there is to be a sequel.

This game got better and better the further you got into it. I had my doubts when we started off in her bedroom in the usual way.

Congratulations to the developers on this one. Hope the second one is even better.

Yosemite1956c
Guppy
Guppy
104 Posts

[Post New]by Yosemite1956c on Jan 8, 11 6:13 AM
I decided not to even try the demo after reading the storyline. Professor Dumbdore!!! Really, if you're not creative enough to come up with a name on your own without having to almost steal from Harry Potter, then maybe you're in the wrong business.

And, I'm really tired of the father/grandfather missing through time or worlds.

Micha1234
Clownfish
Clownfish
910 Posts

[Post New]by Micha1234 on Jan 8, 11 6:18 AM
WELCOME BACK GOOFYDUCK77 !!!!!

I missed your reviews!!!!

peglegann
Stingray
Stingray
5,174 Posts

[Post New]by peglegann on Jan 8, 11 6:29 AM
Micha1234 wrote:WELCOME BACK GOOFYDUCK77 !!!!!

I missed your reviews!!!!

Oh yes. Forgot to say the same.

[Post New]by LuvDemGames on Jan 8, 11 6:32 AM
I have played 37 minutes of the demo and I'm totally frustrated. The HOG scenes are just too much for these old eyes of mine. The hints aren't even on the item you are looking for, just in the general area. Even after using a hint I wasn't able to find things, then I got chastised for clicking too much! Folks are saying it gets better, but I'm not sure I have the patience to wade through the beginning to get there. I'll come back for the remaining 23 minutes after I have a chance to rest my eyes. We'll see.

Go to: