bfgImbrium
Manatee
Manatee
4,236 Posts

Your Comments and Reviews for Hexus

[Post New]by bfgImbrium on Jan 11, 11 12:17 AM
Hey Fishies! What do you think of Hexus? We value your reviews, as do many of the other fishies in our pond, so feel free to post your comments and opinions in this thread!

Remember, a lot of people who will be reading this thread will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

For discussions other than your general feedback on this game you can create a new discussion in the game forum and if you are experiencing technical issues, be sure to swim over to the support thread here.

Happy gaming!

bfgImbrium

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Hexus

[Post New]by Eugene_Duranin on Jan 11, 11 2:03 AM
Hi everybody!
I'm one of two Hexus' developers.
Ready to answer any question you have.

To goofyduck77:
Lines and remove em are just two additional games not something we think to be a unique feature
Of course adventure is one. You'll find there - city building, very cool puzzles and match-3 game, "dress room" for your avatar, even HOG mini-games!
So, please consider lines and remove em as a bonus in case you just want to relax playing old classic games.

Have a good day and best regards, Eugene

ciscaR8
Minnow
Minnow
256 Posts

[Post New]by ciscaR8 on Jan 11, 11 2:17 AM
after 1 min of play and i tried both options i was already bored
so deleted it right awy

[Post New]by Eugene_Duranin on Jan 11, 11 2:33 AM
ciscaR8 wrote:after 1 min of play and i tried both options i was already bored
so deleted it right awy

Hi, ciscaR8
Looks like you haven't run the main game!
Adventure is the one!
Lines and remove em are just additional modes.
Best regards, Eugene.

gimmegames
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,231 Posts

[Post New]by gimmegames on Jan 11, 11 2:36 AM
I clicked on Adventure, played the hour demo, and bought it.

The English is atrocious, and there is so much of it, but the gameplay is unique as far as I know. The most similar game I've played is Oriental Dreams, but this is different in that you match 6 (rather than 5) and you don't see where the new balls will spawn, as you do in Oriental Dreams and games similar to it.

And welcome to the pond Eugene!

Edited on 01/11/2011 at 2:37:54 AM PST

[Post New]by 50plusgamer on Jan 11, 11 2:40 AM
I was put off by the bad English the confusing intructions and the rather mixed up history..and why Mouses? Very strange! I played for about 3 minutes then deleted it. Pity because I liked the idea of doing different things such as HOGS and building stuff.

[Post New]by Eugene_Duranin on Jan 11, 11 2:46 AM
gimmegames wrote:I clicked on Adventure, played the hour demo, and bought it.

The English is atrocious, and there is so much of it, but the gameplay is unique as far as I know. The most similar game I've played is Oriental Dreams, but this is different in that you match 6 (rather than 5) and you don't see where the new balls will spawn, as you do in Oriental Dreams and games similar to it.

And welcome to the pond Eugene!

Thanks, gimmegames!

About language issues - "bad English" is an attempt to make characters speak "antique way".

Best regards, Eugene.

Phoebelle
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
19 Posts

[Post New]by Phoebelle on Jan 11, 11 2:48 AM
Hi Eugene

Well, I'm really enjoying the Lexus Adventure! I tried it for about 20 minutes and decided it was definitely worth buying, so thank you for all your hard work . I loved the opening graphics - really elegant, and set the scene well.

Lexus seems to be a more sophisticated version of Sliders, which I've enjoyed playing in the past. It's quite different from recent BF games, so is a pleasant change. I like the sounds and the movements of the adventure game, and it becomes a testing logic puzzle fairly quickly. Building the city is not really a main focus for me, but it looks as if there's plenty of choice for those who enjoy that sort of thing.

I do have to mention a couple of annoyances. It's a good idea to be able to personalise the avatar, but when you're a female, the various characters address you as "My Lord..." whereas it should be "My Lady...". There are also quite a few grammatical inaccuracies - my main gripe with BF games, and I'm sure it's not just because I'm an editor myself. Why spend so much money on programming and graphics, but not pay a little more to get a good editor to check the language?

Anyway, it obviously hasn't stopped me buying and enjoying the game!

[Post New]by Eugene_Duranin on Jan 11, 11 2:55 AM
50plusgamer wrote:I was put off by the bad English the confusing intructions and the rather mixed up history..and why Mouses? Very strange! I played for about 3 minutes then deleted it. Pity because I liked the idea of doing different things such as HOGS and building stuff.

Hi, 50plusgamer.
Thanks for your criticism, but I should answer.
"Bad English" is rather stylistic device.
"confusing intructions" - i can't agree cause we did it very detailed and interactive. Moreover all game mechanics seem to be very native. I'm sure if you try it one more time then everything will go perfectly with the game!

"Why Mouses?" Mouses is Old Egyptian name. If it seems to be similar to Moses for you I must say that there is no surpise - as we know from Holy Bible Scriptural Moses was born in Egypt.
BTW if you'll watch intro attentively - you might notice that we use Exodus motifs in Hexus storyline!
Anyway thanks for the time you've spend and have a good day!
Eugene.

eddyatwork
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,169 Posts

[Post New]by eddyatwork on Jan 11, 11 2:55 AM
General recommendation: Try before you buy, but save it for that last punch or when when it's a daily deal.

Graphics: Bright in the games. Nothing exceptional otherwise.

Sound: Average quality. Music was in keeping with Egypt, but nothing memorable.

Storyline: Minimal. There is a skip button.

Gameplay: Nothing special. One game is the standard match three, while the other is collapse. The thing I liked was getting to build a city which I could re-arrange at will. I loved the idea of having a male or female avatar that you could customize, including the faces. Getting to play dress up is my favorite part of the game other than the Egyptian setting.

I like the game myself, but if you aren't into Egypt or the customizing of avatars, there just isn't anything special about the game that hasn't been done before.

_Andreww_
Lobster
Lobster
83 Posts

[Post New]by _Andreww_ on Jan 11, 11 3:01 AM
Phoebelle wrote:Hi Eugene

Why spend so much money on programming and graphics, but not pay a little more to get a good editor to check the language?

Hi.
I'm also a programmer of games. And English is not my native language.
And I'm ready to pay a proofreader.
But how can I check if it is good or bad?

[Post New]by Eugene_Duranin on Jan 11, 11 3:01 AM
Phoebelle wrote:Hi Eugene

Well, I'm really enjoying the Lexus Adventure! I tried it for about 20 minutes and decided it was definitely worth buying, so thank you for all your hard work . I loved the opening graphics - really elegant, and set the scene well.

Lexus seems to be a more sophisticated version of Sliders, which I've enjoyed playing in the past. It's quite different from recent BF games, so is a pleasant change. I like the sounds and the movements of the adventure game, and it becomes a testing logic puzzle fairly quickly. Building the city is not really a main focus for me, but it looks as if there's plenty of choice for those who enjoy that sort of thing.

I do have to mention a couple of annoyances. It's a good idea to be able to personalise the avatar, but when you're a female, the various characters address you as "My Lord..." whereas it should be "My Lady...". There are also quite a few grammatical inaccuracies - my main gripe with BF games, and I'm sure it's not just because I'm an editor myself. Why spend so much money on programming and graphics, but not pay a little more to get a good editor to check the language?

Anyway, it obviously hasn't stopped me buying and enjoying the game!

Hi, Phoebelle!
It is pleasure to read you post (for me as developer)

You was so attentive reading texts I'm talking about Lord and Lady.
But it isn't mistake.
It was normal in Old Egypt when woman takes the throne along with "King" title!
They've even put a "ceremonial false beard" being on the throne! (of course we haven't added "the beard" as an item in woman dress room in the game).

Hope you'll enjoy all game !
Best regards, Eugene.

Edited on 01/11/2011 at 3:18:09 AM PST

Phoebelle
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
19 Posts

[Post New]by Phoebelle on Jan 11, 11 3:31 AM
Hi again Eugene

Thanks for your explanation! Maybe that sort of information could be added within the game so that people know it isn't a mistake. I've just got to the section where you have the info about the Ankh, so I assume there'll be similar explanatory pages. It's a really interesting extra bonus.

eddyatwork
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,169 Posts

[Post New]by eddyatwork on Jan 11, 11 4:39 AM
I have to amend my review as the demo expired before I saw some of the other features. There are spot the difference mini-games as well as hidden object scenes. The hidden object scenes are actually pretty good in their execution.

[Post New]by gamineannie on Jan 11, 11 6:16 AM
@Eugene_Duranin,
First, welcome to the pond!
Second, one of my main gripes about several recent games is the bad English. Trying to instill the "antique way" of speaking does not allow you to mangle the English language, as the characters would have used Coptic or some other language - NO ONE spoke English at that time.
Third, I have nothing to say about the game, as I have neither downloaded it nor feel any desire to do so at this time - haven't heard anything appealing about it and I already own several match 3 games, which are more than enough.

[Post New]by Eugene_Duranin on Jan 11, 11 6:30 AM
gamineannie wrote:@Eugene_Duranin,
First, welcome to the pond!
Second, one of my main gripes about several recent games is the bad English. Trying to instill the "antique way" of speaking does not allow you to mangle the English language, as the characters would have used Coptic or some other language - NO ONE spoke English at that time.
Third, I have nothing to say about the game, as I have neither downloaded it nor feel any desire to do so at this time - haven't heard anything appealing about it and I already own several match 3 games, which are more than enough.

Hi, gamineannie.
Thank you for your comment, but I have something to answer.
I completely agree with you that it isn't good to mangle the English language. I'm talking about other stuff - for example "My Lord" and "My Lady" - as I wrote above it is historical fact that women on Egyptian throne had male titles.
I'm glad that you are operating also historical facts, but must say that Copts were Egyptian Christians came to "arena" in 600-800 years after events you could see in Hexus.
So I'm sure you'll agree that it wouldn't be interesting for players if all characters speak Coptic or Old Egyptian Anyway I beg pardon if we've offended your National Pride! Hope you'll download the game and personally check did we mangle or not.
Plus, Hexus isn't simply match-3 game. There is complex of game mechanics and i'm sure everyone will enjoy the game - city building or puzzles, hogs or borad game...

Thanks for your time and best regards, Eugene.

Edited on 01/11/2011 at 6:49:59 AM PST

[Post New]by satexasgirl on Jan 11, 11 7:33 AM
Imagine my surprise when I came to check the reviews and see the first comment was from one of the developers. I can't tell you how much I appreciate the fact a developer is willing to spend time chatting/posting with players on a forum. From some of the posts I've read it seems I initially fell victim to the same assumptions. I clicked on both game types before clicking on the adventure played one game of each and thought, "How boring is this???" I was all set to delete but I clicked on adventure anyway. Whew, what a relief. I liked the graphics and the game play. It's not your typical match-3 game. I'm not yet sold on the game, though. My biggest complaint, sorry Eugene, is the grammar. I understand where you're coming from in your defense of it being a stylistic device, but that's a difficult thing to make obvious, especially when you consider that so many games that are out there are so chock full of grammatical errors that it makes an otherwise acceptable game only so-so and a so-so game bad. For me personally, as I've stated before elsewhere an error here or there is okay. Even the best editors make an occasional mistake. In the hour I played I found myself annoyed by the flow, for lack of a better word, of what I read. I’m well aware that in ancient Egypt female rulers were given male titles so that’s not it. Maybe had the characters been given voices I would have been more accepting of that stylistic choice-but that also opens up another can of worms. Also, some of the instructions were a bit unclear. I can’t recall which, specifically, but a couple of times I found myself thinking, “what?” and to go back & reread. Okay, here’s an example. I don’t recall it being made clear, unless I missed it, that buildings can only be placed facing an existing road. So it’s a few little things that bug me about the game. It’s enough, though, to keep me from buying right away. But that’s me. I know others will like the game and I hazard to guess that most of us like the fact that a developer is willing to swim in the pond with us.

Edited on 01/11/2011 at 7:34:21 AM PST

[Post New]by Eugene_Duranin on Jan 11, 11 7:41 AM
hannah57 wrote:I must be clueless because I started the game with a bunch of stones I have to get 5 in a row and make them vanish. Well by the time I got rid of 4 different ones, the entire board was full. I really don't think this game is for me, I'm more into advrnture game, sorry BF.

Hi, hannah57.
Probably it is our (developers) mistake to show all 3 games from the start
You've missed the main game - "ADVENTURE" - central button, after New Game button.
"Lines" and "Remove em" are just two bonuses, no more.
Hope you'll get back and enjoy full game.
Best regards, Eugene.

[Post New]by Eugene_Duranin on Jan 11, 11 7:52 AM
to: satexasgirl

Hi, satexasgirl!
Thanks for you comment.
Of course we also have some concern how players will find new (or old good, doesn't matter) game mechanic. This issue and possible troubles with city building really make me nervous a little bit. But I also know that lately players will enjoy freedom of city building, puzzle solving on the board, finally avatar's modification.
Hexus isn't one more game of current trend and that's only problem I see.
Hope you'll get back to Hexus and will find more new challenges and surprises - believe me that this game is full of them.

Best regards, Eugene

lackoo
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,430 Posts

[Post New]by lackoo on Jan 11, 11 8:13 AM
Looks promising , but :

- two thin black lines in the intro screen
- can't hear the music , even with the max settings
- no wide screen option ( i'm using a monitor with 1900x1080 resolution )

Go to: